Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

TSN

Posted by Anna '03 
TSN
Posted by: Anna '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 08:49PM

Yet another good column on the Cornell-Harvard game.

[tsn.tsnmax.com]

Re: TSN
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 09:12PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 09:35PM

That was a great article. Except it really makes me pine for Lynah.

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:28PM

was a cute article. cool and slightly perplexing to see TSN giving us coverage. i watch it all the time when i'm in canada. anyone know why this guy was at the game? is he somehow related to sammy? seemed as if the main message behind the article was, "this boy deserves a chance to play after college."

Posted by: JordanCS (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:39PM

Great article. Having never seen 'Love Story', is there really a concentration on the Cornell / Hahvahd rivalry? Is Lynah in the film? Anyway, I'm printing the article to save. :)

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 11:09PM

great article. what is the background behind tsn? a little too lazy to look it up ;-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 12:12AM

You only need to watch the first 15 minutes of "Love Story." The rest is just waiting for the woman to die. The main character plays in the "Ivy Championship game" or something to that effect, and gets destroyed by Cornell players in a fight scene. There's some quote about Cornell's team being stacked with "wild Canadian hordes". Supposedly, the game takes place in Ithaca, but it (as well as much of the movie) was filmed at Harvard as mentioned here: [www.news.harvard.edu]

A quick search also turned up the follwoing good read: [go8.163.com] It seems to be a book excerpt, and pretty much details the Cornell game in the plot (I cancelled the language pack installation my browser asked for, and it came up fine in english). It describes the wildness of the Cornell crowd and the fact that there weren't many Harvard fans. The main character bleeds and one of his teammates cries. The final score of that game, oddly enough, was Cornell 6 - Harvard 3.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 12:39AM

You mean Love Story is longer than 15 minutes? :-)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 01:05AM

Well, it doesn't interfere with the English, but unless you have the Chinese simplified character set installed you won't be able to look at the hyperlinked notes scattered around the text. :-) Apparently, it's a TOEFL practice dealie, and I'm curious to know if all of the mistakes (particularly in the first section) are transcription errors, or if a non-native speaker was more or less translating from a Chinese copy of Love Story (in which case it's pretty damn good).

The other thing I want to know is why, exactly, do I have the Chinese simplified character set installed on this machine? :-O

Posted by: Robb (---.246.134.38.dial1.dallas1.level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 06:50AM

Wow - learn something every day. I didn't know that Hemmingway wrote Love Story....

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 07:06AM

It doesn't seem to be a very BAD translation, but the phrase "damn Canadian" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "fucking Canuck".

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 07:20AM

hey, hey, hey now! ;-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 07:47AM

Maybe it was assembled in Taiwan.B-]

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 06, 2002 08:11AM

No, no, I mean in a literary sense! I didn't say it, the stuck-up Harvard guy did!

Posted by: Neil Shapiro '83 (146.145.226.---)
Date: February 06, 2002 08:48AM

I may be mistaken, but I thought there was a Love Story scene filmed on Tower Road

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 06, 2002 10:12AM

[F]reshman Dave LeNeveu, whom many (including the Central Scouting Service) believe could be the best Cornell netminder to go pro since Brian Hayward

Wow.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 06, 2002 11:38AM

The hockey scenes in "Love Story" were, according to my sources, filmed at Northeastern's rink. With Dartmouth's real hockey team playing all of Harvard's opponents (including Cornell).

The outdoor scene filmed at Cornell - supposedly showing characters exiting our hockey rink - was filmed at Barton Hall.

Beeeej

Other stupid Cornell movie trivia
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 06, 2002 01:15PM

The Sure Thing features John Cusack running across a snowy arts quad. In one 2nd unit shot, you can even see a bundled up student with a Big Red Bag from the campus store. Walter "Gib" Gibson, John Cusack's character, is supposed to be a freshman at an unnamed Ivy League school in New England. I guess Hollywood thinks NY in in NE. Of course, all of the summertime shots were filmed at the Univ. of the Pacific in Stockton, California so don't be too surprised when none of the sunny campus shots look familiar.

This movie shouldn't be missed if for no other reason to see Anthony Edwards with hair, as a UCLA frat boy no less.

Re: Other stupid Cornell movie trivia
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 06, 2002 11:27PM

Didn't "The Sure Thing" feature exterior shots from a number of different colleges? I thought the whole idea was that it was supposed to start and end at some generic Ivy.

Along the same lines, does anyone remember the short-lived "Class of '96" TV show? It was set at a fictional Ivy called Havenhurst College, and one game of viewers was to see which real Ivy it most closely resembled. (I seem to recall settling on Dartmouth although the athletic unitforms were of course Harvard's.)

Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 11:45PM

That's weird. I always thought it looked similar to the grounds around Barton, but not quite right. Something about the stonework just didn't look like it was authentic. I never lost any sleep over it but now....

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 07, 2002 09:20AM

Nope. They only filmed at Univ of the Pacific, UCLA and Cornell, at least according to the IMDB. (www.imdb.com)

Hrmm. Of course, now I'm questioning my sanity. Some time back, I started working on a web page entitled "Cornell at the Movies." I dug it out and according to my notes then, the snowy shot with the student carrying the Big Red Bag actually occurs in "Getting In".

This is what I had to say when I wrote the page:
"Cornell features extensively in this film. Many of the 2nd Unit shots, supposedly of Swarthmore, are actually Cornell. Watch for the student walking through the snow with a Big Red Bag. This movie features Andrew McCarthy as a stiff uptight Princetonian, Matthew Perry as a beer swilling Dartmouth student, and Calista Flockhart as a self-centered cold-hearted Cornellian."

Hrmm. Maybe I should post the whole page and people can review it for additions and corrections?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 07, 2002 01:07PM

You might also want to search the Uncle Ezra archives on Cornell's website to flesh out your Cornell movie trivia page; he's dealt with the issue a number of times, and although he's never produced a canonical, exhaustive list of movies filmed at, set at, or mentioning Cornell, he's come awful close a couple of times.

Beeeej

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login