Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RPI 1 @ Cornell 1 11/19 Postgame

Posted by Tub(a) 
RPI 1 @ Cornell 1 11/19 Postgame
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:27PM

I think it's becoming clear why Schafer is starting to recruit smallish offensive players.

This team needs more scoring in a desperate way.

Re: RPI 1 @ Cornell 1 11/19 Postgame
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:30PM

it's become abundantly clear this team cannot score 5x5 goals

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:31PM

Feels a lot like 2000, 2001

I think the defensive lapse at DC hid the real problem with this team.

If not for ENGs and the miracle against Harvard, we've scored, 3, 3, 3, 3 (ot), 2, 1, 1, 1s goal this season. Not only is that far too few, but it's trending the wrong way. McKee was fine again and the defense is alright. Everyone makes mistakes, but it makes your D look that much worse when you can't score goals to bail them out.

We'll see what Schafer can do this time.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:33PM

But then again, if not for 2 defensive mess ups with the puck behind the net, we win tonight and tie last night.

Date: November 19, 2005 09:34PM

albeit early in the league schedule, it would appear the NC duo is back. we'll see if they stay up in the top 5

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:38PM

Despite all the shots, I don't think Cornell had that many quality chances either night. We're good at digging the puck out of the corners but there never seems to be anyone open in the slot or top of a circle to pass it to. I almost can't remember an odd-man rush tonight, yet there were many at Harvard. It's all very strange to me. This team should stop talking national championship and start focusing on getting a first-round ECAC bye. Yikes, what a disappointing weekend.

Posted by: cmoberg (---.pivot.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:45PM

I cut my teeth on Cornell hockey in the mid 70s. What a time that was. Strong goaltending and prolific scorers. Never was there are worry when the opposing team took an early lead. Treadway, Nethery, and Kerling to the rescue. Some big D men too, like Peter Shier (what a shot from the point). So I too think it is time to pump up the offensive recruiting. When your defense is in top form we can win with little offense, but anything short of that puts us behind the eight ball.

Chris

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:46PM

Seminoff should come out of the line-up until he can learn not to take bad penalties. His punch to the head body check with 4 minutes left came within a post of costing us the game. Give Salmela a chance, and put him on the powerplay instead of rock-hands O'Byrne. Also would like to point out that McCutcheon gets my early-season vote for most improved player. Doin a great job on the PK. Cornell absolutely dominated both games this weekend, but just ran into hot goalies. No need to panic, STAY ON THE BUS.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:50PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

No need to panic, STAY ON THE BUS.[/q]

I'm on the bus but I have some motion sickness yark !

A 5x3 goal away from a no point weekend, too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:58PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:
Seminoff should come out of the line-up until he can learn not to take bad penalties.[/q]

Well, I thought Seminoff was the best Dman all game. He, McCutcheon, Pegs, Cam, and Scott had very good nights.

It's good that the "Hang McKee" chorus has been silenced. They did everything right all weekend, completely dominating both opponents, except they couldn't finish. The bus is fine, it just needs more gas.

Posted by: Mike K (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:01PM

All I have to say is this was a pathetic weekend for cornell hockey.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:03PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:
Seminoff should come out of the line-up until he can learn not to take bad penalties.[/Q]
Well, I thought Seminoff was the best Dman all game. He, McCutcheon, Pegs, Cam, and Scott had very good nights..[/q]

I think Gleed was our best defenseman tonight. Pokulok again looked a little shaky. Agree about Cutch, Pegs, Cam, and Topher ... and would also add Carefoot to that list.

Date: November 19, 2005 10:04PM

Seminoff needs to be taught a lesson about his penalties somehow, but I agree that otherwise hes playing some pretty solid d for a freshman. We really really really need to work on our breakout. We have had issues getting the puck up and out of our defensive zone all 4 years i've been here, and it would be nice if they would get it right this year.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:08PM

Thoughts:

- RPI appears to have a good goalie in Lange.
- McKee was okay but wasn't really challenged. Can somebody explain the RPI goal? I totally couldn't see it from my seat.
- Tonight's offense was better than last night's offense, to be certain, but it still has a ways to go. The even strength goals will come once our guys become more confident when shooting from the outside.
- What the hell is wrong with our guys when trying to play the puck behind our own net? I mean, seriously, are they bewildered by section G? Is the goal judge's watch giving off a weird glare?
- Passing was crisper and improved, but still needs some work.
- Cornell needs to learn how to play the entire 60 (or in tonight's case, 65) minutes each night. They looked truly weak for a large part of the third period.
- The "Kill, Red, Kill" cheer came off better than I thought it would, though I still would have preferred it if we could have started it with the Niagara game.

Date: November 19, 2005 10:10PM

[Q]Mike K Wrote:

All I have to say is this was a pathetic weekend for cornell hockey.[/q]

It could have been worse. The weekend as a whole was still better than the crapfest that was the Dartmouth game.

Date: November 19, 2005 10:12PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

- McKee was okay but wasn't really challenged. Can somebody explain the RPI goal? I totally couldn't see it from my seat.
[/q]

Pokulok fumbled the puck for a while and then gave it up, the RPI player I think was just trying to get it in to the middle in front, but basically just hit it off the back of McKee's shoulder and in to the net.

Posted by: getred (---.sha.cornell.edu)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:13PM

Just for the record, RPI fans retain the title as "Worst Fans in the ECAC"...ignorant of the rules of the game...happy with a tie. And the pusswods stole our signs and airhorns (we were the "old guys" in Section O.) They just suck. Made the tie feel even worse. Well, at least we won't see them in March.

Posted by: 2tkCornell (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:13PM

McKee didn't have the post covered at all. Bad positioning. It should have been stopped.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:51PM

very similar game to last night. not remotely entertaining. fans sucked again but tough to blame them when there is nothing to cheer for. cornell's offense is terrible. they aren't a big team anymore and can't physically dominate in the corners like they once did. they need to stop dumping and chasing and carry the puck a little more. Three straight games without an even strength goal. embarrassing.

Posted by: RedAR (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 11:01PM

I have to disagree about the terrible offense. The team generated a ton of quality chances. It was the combination of us not finishing, and the opposing goalie standing on his head. Yes, it's frustrating, but I don't think it's fair to say that our offense sucks.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2005 11:23PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

albeit early in the league schedule, it would appear the NC duo is back. we'll see if they stay up in the top 5[/q]
You're kidding right? Other than one SLU win over Wisconsin, the rest of their opponents amount to a sack of wet mold. And they've barely squeaked by some of that mold. The only question is if Cornell adds to that bag when we play them.

Date: November 19, 2005 11:37PM

agreed ... that's why i said we'll see if they stay up there. :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2005 11:42PM by ben03.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 19, 2005 11:52PM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

I have to disagree about the terrible offense. The team generated a ton of quality chances. It was the combination of us not finishing, and the opposing goalie standing on his head. Yes, it's frustrating, but I don't think it's fair to say that our offense sucks.[/q]

Cornell may have had a lot of shots on goal in both games, but I don't think they had that many quality chances to score. Cornell just could not penetrate the slot and were unable of getting pucks through to the net. They unquestionably carried the play and the majority of time was spent in the opposing team's end but they were in the corners for the most part, unable to get the puck to the net.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:05AM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

I have to disagree about the terrible offense. The team generated a ton of quality chances. It was the combination of us not finishing, and the opposing goalie standing on his head. Yes, it's frustrating, but I don't think it's fair to say that our offense sucks.[/q]
We either have very different ideas on what a quality chance is, or they all happened tonight during the second period CSTV video blackout. I saw very few this weekend. I don't think I can recall an odd-man rush that ended with a quality shot. I don't think I can recall a cross-ice pass setting up an open skater on the back side for a shot from within 20 feet of the goal. I can't recall a skater wheeling around after crossing the blue-line to allow a teammate or teammates time to get to the goal for a deflection or rebound as Cam did with Carefoot for the OT goal at Brown.

I'm with Ari. I was encouraged at Harvard because we carried the puck into the zone and created chances off it, rather than just throwing it into a corner and grinding. We actually showed signs of being an offensively creative team in that game. I saw very little of that this weekend. Coming out of a corner and throwing the puck at the goalie from an almost 90 degree angle is a low-odds opportunity in my book. I saw nothing that came close to the passing that set up Bitz for the back-door power-play goal at Dartmouth. Our PP is one-dimensional: shots from the top of the umbrella. When the umbrella is pressured, as Union did last night and Dartmouth last week, the PP is ineffective.

Mayotte gave up five goals on 30 shots tonight vs. one on 33 last night. I'm guessing that's because Colgate had a lot more quality chances than we did against him last night. Natural hat trick for Tyler Burton, by the way. Playing the same opponents, Colgate's scored 24 ECAC goals this year and we've got 14, five of which have come at even strength--in six games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2005 12:07AM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:57AM

Ok for what it's worth here are the face off stats I scribbled down this weekend:

----------------   Won      Lost          Neutral (indeterminate on the faceoff play itself ) 
Red vs Union        38         14         9   

Red vs RPI          28         10         12  
----------------   ====        ===        ===
for the WE          66         24         21 
------------------

face-offs were not our problem as far as I can see - May have missed one or two face -offs whole weekend when i was too exited yelling and cheering! no voice left.

Date: November 20, 2005 01:02AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:
Seminoff should come out of the line-up until he can learn not to take bad penalties.[/Q]
Well, I thought Seminoff was the best Dman all game. He, McCutcheon, Pegs, Cam, and Scott had very good nights..[/Q]
I think Gleed was our best defenseman tonight. Pokulok again looked a little shaky. Agree about Cutch, Pegs, Cam, and Topher ... and would also add Carefoot to that list.[/q]

I forgot about Carefoot. He was also terrific.

I may be whistling past the graveyard, but I still think this team has no fundamental structural or talent problems.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:00AM

Carefoot looked great tonight, I thought. Also, Seminoff looked very good, except that elbowing/contact to the head penalty he got towards the end of the second period. He picked up a few other penalties, but I thought they were bad calls, mainly.

Gleed also played well, and had one great defensive stop toward the end of the third period, stripping the puck from an RPI forward as he came into the zone on a 2-on-1.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 04:31AM

[Q]getred Wrote:

Just for the record, RPI fans retain the title as "Worst Fans in the ECAC"...ignorant of the rules of the game...happy with a tie. And the pusswods stole our signs and airhorns (we were the "old guys" in Section O.) They just suck. Made the tie feel even worse. Well, at least we won't see them in March.[/q] Are you referring to RPI fans, in general, or just those at the game as being the "Worst Fans in the ECAC"?

I for one feel that a tie on the road by a team that most everyone predicted would be traveling for the first round of the playoffs against a nationally ranked team is something to be happy with. Yes, of course, I would have been happier with a victory, but I gladly settle for a tie in this situation. Since this is a Cornell board and I am a guest in your house, I'll refrain from giving my critique of Cornell fans.

Date: November 20, 2005 07:10AM

Everybody's entitled to his or her opinion, but I've found RPI's fans to be among the more knowledgable in all of college hockey. RPI's rink staff, OTOH, would make Himmler smile.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 08:45AM

My kudo's to the team; we played hard - and had a few lapses and some freshman mistakes.... judgement
- don't pound opposing player into boards well after puck has left the immediate vicinity.
- don't punch player in face and helmet with both hands with stick in your hands - lower shoulder and flatten them legally !
- lesson number 1 playing hockey must move feet very quickly to play the game. This again caused at least a couple of penalties tonight ( Sawada and Mugford tend to move feet very welll just careful on the charging .... :-) )

Most of the Red played well tonight ....
Topher, and Cam were great and both Mitch C. and Mark M had great games.... Dan P. played very well and he covered several D miscues by being in the right spot and playing good defensive position. Mugford and Ray S on same line is a strong forechecking line - Gleed looked excellent !

Goalie from RPI played a great game - and RPI hustled... but had to ice the puck many times and we should have taken them... We just didn't quite get puck into net. All teams have their ups and downs I'm thinking this is a bit down but rather have it now than later in season.

Go Big Red - Have a great Thanksgiving then lets make Niagara into turkeys

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2005 10:28AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

very similar game to last night. not remotely entertaining. fans sucked again but tough to blame them when there is nothing to cheer for. cornell's offense is terrible. they aren't a big team anymore and can't physically dominate in the corners like they once did. they need to stop dumping and chasing and carry the puck a little more. Three straight games without an even strength goal. embarrassing.[/q]

I thought the fans on my side of the rink were great. Sections E,F,G (didn't pay much attention to D) got a lot of great cheers going and sustained a lot of enthusiasim and noise for the entire game.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:28AM

Good points from the weekend:

Cornell defense has solidified. A 1.5 GAA should carry us the rest of the season since how hard can it be for Cornell to get 2, 3 goals a game?

Cornell dominating play and shots. Maybe we did run into back-to-back goaltenders having career nights.

Very nice puck control on power play although completing the PP (like say putting puck in net more often) needs work.

Longer term thoughts:

Cornell's offense may be shifting from physical control in the corners to precision and if so that's going to take a while to gel. Which is a polite way of saying, "Sheesh, just two goals against Union and RPI?"

Maybe it's the freshmen adjusting to college not junior play and needing to learn restraint in taking penalities, and maybe Cornell's style of play just takes longer to come together than some other teams.

Short term thought: Sheesh.

Date: November 20, 2005 11:38AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell defense has solidified. A 1.5 GAA should carry us the rest of the season since how hard can it be for Cornell to get 2, 3 goals a game? [/q]
yeah this is great ... 1.5 GAA. the only problem is we LOST and TIED. who's up for a sub-2 GAA and a 4-14-14 record??? anyone, anyone, going once, going twice ...

good let's start winning and throw the whole "lowest GAA in the country" out the window. it ain't gonna happen this year.

Date: November 20, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Cornell defense has solidified. A 1.5 GAA should carry us the rest of the season since how hard can it be for Cornell to get 2, 3 goals a game? [/Q]
yeah this is great ... 1.5 GAA. the only problem is we LOST and TIED. who's up for a sub-2 GAA and a 4-14-14 record??? anyone, anyone, going once, going twice ...

good let's start winning and throw the whole "lowest GAA in the country" out the window. it ain't gonna happen this year.[/q]

And let's not forget that this was against RPI and Union. They dominated the play like they should have against these teams, and still couldn't score more than one per night. Play a good, or, heaven forbid, very good team, where we split time, and the games could be 3-1, 4-1 against (assuming we get a 5x3 :-P )

The D was better, but I'm not willing to extrapolate this performance this weekend to Colgate, Dartmouth, Harvard, the NC pair, and Maine/Minn-Duluth.

In Schafer we trust, and more time playing together and letting them gel more can't hurt, things very well may be just fine, but that's not to say they are now. And you can't extract a 1.5 GAA against RPI and Union to... anything.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:06PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Cornell defense has solidified. A 1.5 GAA should carry us the rest of the season since how hard can it be for Cornell to get 2, 3 goals a game? [/Q]

good let's start winning and throw the whole "lowest GAA in the country" out the window. it ain't gonna happen this year.[/Q]
And let's not forget that this was against RPI and Union. They dominated the play like they should have against these teams, and still couldn't score more than one per night. Play a good, or, heaven forbid, very good team, where we split time, and the games could be 3-1, 4-1 against (assuming we get a 5x3 )

The D was better, but I'm not willing to extrapolate this performance this weekend to Colgate, Dartmouth, Harvard, the NC pair, and Maine/Minn-Duluth.

In Schafer we trust, and more time playing together and letting them gel more can't hurt, things very well may be just fine, but that's not to say they are now. And you can't extract a 1.5 GAA against RPI and Union to... anything.[/q]

In fairness to the team, RPI and Union combined had about 5 scoring opportunities all weekend. I don't think its fair to expect better than that from our defense (save the Davenport blunder in the Union game)--even if they are RPI and Union. But, I do think it's fair to expect more goals from our team, especially against our foes from the Capital District. Yes, Mayotte stood on his head and some say Lange did as well (personally I wasn't that impressed with him but what do I know); still you've got to get at least a couple of goals. The team is down on its luck and didn't get the bounces this weekend. But, I'd rather save the good bounces for the end of the season. I am much more encouraged by this one point weekend than the two road points I witnessed at Lynah East and Thompson (shiver).

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:11PM

Another horrible game by McKee, only goal scored by RPI should never have happened. Pokuluk should get equal blame for the goal for losing the puck deep in our zone. Once I saw that I literally thought here comes a goal and it happened. Our team main problem is that we do not have any goal scorers by Moulson on this team. If someone does not step up and become a scorer this will be a very very long season. O'Byrne had a nice shot on the PP and hit the post. It seems to me that no one knows how to lift the puck up on a rebound, all the shots are just trying to shove it under the goalies pads. It was very evident that we do not have any leadership on this team, after RPI scored we were not skating for a good 5+ mins afterwords and if RPI took advantage of it, we could of lost the game.

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:15PM

On the goal, yes it was coughed up down low...but the cardinal rule for the G is to cover the near post..didn't happen and goal scored. From that angle that goal can't go in. Other than that Mckee looked good. Seminoff was probably the best D on the ice except the elbow to the head. The boarding call was a wuss call.

This team looks like it is expecting things to happen for them on the ice instead of absolutely making them happen. I saw Moulson look to the rafters and slouch after he missed what he thought was a sure PP goal. That is something I have never seen him do when the puck was in play. As a C you drive to the net as soon as you relase the shot and keep set the work ethic for the whole team. Problem seems to be there is nobody like Bâby who could take the team to task on the effort from within and make everyone push harder. Mccutcheon, Carefoot brought the type of eneergy t6he rest of the team needs every shift.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.0.124.24.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:17PM

[Q]cmoberg Wrote:

I cut my teeth on Cornell hockey in the mid 70s. What a time that was. Strong goaltending and prolific scorers. Never was there are worry when the opposing team took an early lead. Treadway, Nethery, and Kerling to the rescue. Some big D men too, like Peter Shier (what a shot from the point). So I too think it is time to pump up the offensive recruiting. When your defense is in top form we can win with little offense, but anything short of that puts us behind the eight ball.

Chris[/q]

I, too, cut my teeth on Cornell hockey in the mid 70s. But I'm not so sure that's the way we want to go. Sure, we could score like crazy, but we also gave up goals like crazy, highlighted by our 9-8 (or was it 10-9) overtime loss to UNH in the ECAC semifinals in 1977. We never made it past the ECAC semis that year, and rarely beat top-notch teams of the era like BU and Harvard. Scoring a lot of goals isn't a big plus if you can't keep the other team from scoring a lot of goals as well, although losing 9-8 is definitely more entertaining than losing 1-0 I remember one game my freshman year where we blew a two-goal lead to Brown in the final minute and lost in overtime. Afterwards, I saw our goalie drinking beer out of his shoe in the Chapter House!

Thinking back to those years, though, I can't help but remember one year where Brown was a heavy preseason favorite to win the ECACs, based upon their play the previous season and the strong senior class they had returning. As it turned out Brown struggled all season and never lived up to expectations. I hope we're not heading down the same path.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:19PM

[Q]redhair34 Wrote:
In fairness to the team, RPI and Union combined had about 5 scoring opportunities all weekend. I don't think its fair to expect better than that from our defense (save the Davenport blunder in the Union game)--even if they are RPI and Union. But, I do think it's fair to expect more goals from our team, especially against our foes from the Capital District. Yes, Mayotte stood on his head and some say Lange did as well (personally I wasn't that impressed with him but what do I know); still you've got to get at least a couple of goals. The team is down on its luck and didn't get the bounces this weekend. But, I'd rather save the good bounces for the end of the season. I am much more encouraged by this one point weekend than the two road points I witnessed at Lynah East and Thompson (shiver). [/q]
this has zero to do with luck. 187:31 without an even strength goal speaks largely to our own deficient offense. the "we ran into a hot goalie" line only holds so much water. and that's not much. it's like i said a few days ago, this team, this program is not here for moral victories. if they are a top team (which i think they still are) they will say screw the excuses and FIND ways to win games.

hope coach and the boys are able to shake whatever's going on.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:22PM

I thought the fans in D/E/F were terrible last night- not following the game and were clearly more interested in what is going AFTER the game. At least there is intensity in A/B.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:32PM

The line about "great that we had a 1.5 GAA for the weekend" was half tongue in cheek, since you need an integer greater than 1.5 for the good guys to win. And as others have noted, this harks back to earlier in the decade, where you had a sinking feeling if you were down by a goal because while we could invariably protect a one-goal lead, and a two-goal lead was just about a guaranteed tickmark in the W column (then), coming from one goal down was something that wasn't confidence inspiring.

Like say in the 2003 NCAA semifinal game being down by a goal in the third. You hoped against hope that Cornell could put one in to tie it up, but you knew come-from-behind was not Cornell's strongpoint then. Or now. Although we did it against Harvard at Harvard this year.

I'm surprised no one yet has tried to make the David McKee / Al Montoya comparison, where Montoya seemed to get less respect later in his college career at Michigan. Not clear that Montoya was worse, or if the D in front of him wasn't as solid, or if expectations were that he'd improve each season and playing at the same level seemed like falliing backwards.

Maybe Cornell plays better when it's the underdog going into the NCAA tournament.

The season is yet young.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:36PM

I don't think anyone's saying that the D and/or McKee were perfect... sure, McKee should have covered the post, sure the D gave it up, but you can't expect them to be perfect. You can't require a shutout every game to win. Mistakes are GOING to happen, the key is to minimize them and to take advantage of your chances on the other end.

Just because McKee and the D weren't perfect, doesn't mean you can blame them for not being so - they're human, they're college kids, and they're going to make mistakes. Last year this would have been another steller performance in a 5-1 win. What's the difference? Hint: not McKee.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:39PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

redhair34 Wrote:
In fairness to the team, RPI and Union combined had about 5 scoring opportunities all weekend. I don't think its fair to expect better than that from our defense (save the Davenport blunder in the Union game)--even if they are RPI and Union. But, I do think it's fair to expect more goals from our team, especially against our foes from the Capital District. Yes, Mayotte stood on his head and some say Lange did as well (personally I wasn't that impressed with him but what do I know); still you've got to get at least a couple of goals. The team is down on its luck and didn't get the bounces this weekend. But, I'd rather save the good bounces for the end of the season. I am much more encouraged by this one point weekend than the two road points I witnessed at Lynah East and Thompson (shiver). [/Q]
this has zero to do with luck. 187:31 without an even strength goal speaks largely to our own deficient offense. the "we ran into a hot goalie" line only holds so much water. and that's not much. it's like i said a few days ago, this team, this program is not here for moral victories. if they are a top team (which i think they still are) they will say screw the excuses and FIND ways to win games.

hope coach and the boys are able to shake whatever's going on.[/q]

O'Byrne's shot from the point last night went through the crease to the far post (it literally cut diagonally through the crease) and some how popped out. That sequence on the PP we had about 5 near goals--Lange must have sold his soul to the Devil to prevent us from scoring. Granted that was on the PP, but still we had some chances 5x5 both games. I agree with whover said it (maybe Ari?) but we need to carry the puck into the zone more instead of just dumping it. Us not scoring an even strength goal in the Dartmouth game had nothing to do with a deficient offense. It had everything to do with us playing absoultely horrible in every aspect of the game. That game was a disgrace. So yeah, in my mind we've gone two straight games w/out scoring an even strength goal. This has something to do with luck. If you read my post clearly I said, "still you've got to get at least a couple of goals."

Posted by: RichH (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Despite all the shots, I don't think Cornell had that many quality chances either night. We're good at digging the puck out of the corners but there never seems to be anyone open in the slot or top of a circle to pass it to. I almost can't remember an odd-man rush tonight, yet there were many at Harvard. It's all very strange to me. [/q]

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
They did everything right all weekend, completely dominating both opponents, except they couldn't finish. The bus is fine, it just needs more gas.[/q]

These are the two people on this forum I most agree with here in this situation.

Thinking about what I saw on the video feed (save for the half hour when the CSTV satellite went around to the dark side of the moon and we lost transmission), Cornell didn't have very many grade-A scoring chances. Mayotte and Lange both were very solid in net; they played well, but I don't remember them diving all over the place, throwing the legs up in the air at the last second, diving across the crease to bat the puck out of midair, somehow getting their facemask in front of a Bâby shot labelled for the top corner...ahem. :-( They were solid, but at no point were they spectacular...no way would I say either of them "stood on their head." Probably the only spectacular stop that I've seen this year was Daigneau's save on Pegs' shorthanded try at Harvard. We generated chances this weekend, but not many great chances. I refer to Al's statement above for the rest of my thoughts.

How do they fix it? That's up to them. I'm not an expert on hockey strategery, so I'll leave it up to the guys on the ice and in the coaches jackets. More creativity? Better transition game? Smarter passing? Hell if I know.

That said, Cornell certainly controlled play all weekend. It was a day-night difference than whatever team got off the bus in Hanover. Schafer was quoted in the RPI game write-up: "You play that way all year long, you’re going to have success." And this spins into the various posts of Trotsky both here and on USCHO. This team has talent, and there's a heck of a lot of time in this season to make hay. Most teams in history go through funks of one sort or another. Every team this year has had a bad loss. Just this weekend, MSU lost to WMU. UHN dropped one to UML. It happens. You can play "the sky is falling" all you want, but I'm betting that this team will have more than a few more wins in them before everything's done.

High expectations are a bitch sometimes. At least the team is figuring out that opponents aren't going to roll over for them this year. Success takes work, and I see it as a lucky thing that we still have a lot of work to take care of.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:42PM

[Q]Doug '08 Wrote:

I thought the fans in D/E/F were terrible last night- not following the game and were clearly more interested in what is going AFTER the game. At least there is intensity in A/B.[/q]

You must have been around different fans than me. Everyone around me was paying attention to the game. We lead a ton of LGR cheers, a couple of "you're not a sieve" cheers and we sustained a high volume level for most of the game. I could barely hear A and B for most of the game.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 01:13PM

D/E/F/G had great cheering intensity.

Then, they all left right as the overtime buzzer went off. Was quite disappointing.

Date: November 20, 2005 01:28PM

The fans sounded good on the audio feed, at least, as opposed to the Union game, in which boos were distinct, and deserving of a prompt bitchslap.

Posted by: Leadership (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:20PM

We need some fuckin leadership on this team! I wish a certain player reads this thread and lights a fire under himself. That is the only way other players will follow.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.MIT.EDU)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:36PM

[Q]Leadership Wrote:

We need some fuckin leadership on this team! I wish a certain player reads this thread and lights a fire under himself. That is the only way other players will follow.[/q]

Players are not allowed to read this forum. Which is a good thing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 04:29PM

i'll second that. a bunch of cheers were started down on our end and lots of times people in B would just look at us for a few seconds before they decided that maybe cheering isn't such a bad thing after all

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (128.253.190.---)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:10PM

This team needs to start winning again so we can all stop fighting with each other. When arguments start over which section is cheering loudest you know the fustration is running high.

Date: November 20, 2005 05:17PM

[Q]Leadership Wrote:

We need some fuckin leadership on this team! I wish a certain player reads this thread and lights a fire under himself. That is the only way other players will follow.[/q]

Uh huh. If you feel that way, just mosey on down to practice and tell them yourself. I'm sure they'll be very impressed.

The only good thing about losing is it sheds these morons.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:41PM

As a section D ticket holder last year, and section B this year, I know that it ALWAYS seemed as if A and B were not loud enough. Those people in D,E,F need to stop and realize that A and B are pretty intense right now. You're criticizing of A and B is the same as if I told you that you are dysfunctional for not clapping correctly with the cowbell (I know it is very difficult to hear down by that end). I think A and B are doing well so far, especially since the team itself is not.

The only problem I see is that too many fans in B are getting down on the team and shouting directions. Here's a thought: Most of us do not know more about hockey than the players on the ice (I will be the first to say this after playing hockey for 13 years and watching "Hockey Night in Canada" every weekend). Saying, "Shoot it", "Come on", "Get it out", and even "ugh (said with disgust)" are not helpful. When the puck is lost in the players skates, believe me, he IS trying to find it. There were people around me who even said that the players gave up when this happened. LOL, I know these people would like to be good fans, but good fans do not get down on their team and say, "They're not even trying." We can talk about it after the game, but until you go out there and earn your spot on the team, don't tell them when to shoot. Shooting into a mass of 6+ players will probably result in the puck bouncing back out of the zone. Ok, i've been ranting for awhile now. Let's here some positive comments for the team next weekend (Ari, help those around you who I saw this past weekend; these veterans should definitely not be doing this). LGR!!!!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:52PM

[Q]canuck89 Wrote:

Here's a thought: Most of us do not know more about hockey than the players on the ice (I will be the first to say this after playing hockey for 13 years and watching "Hockey Night in Canada" every weekend). Saying, "Shoot it", "Come on", "Get it out", and even "ugh (said with disgust)" are not helpful. LGR!!!![/q]

Thankyou, well put. LGR!

Date: November 20, 2005 08:18PM

A lot of people in both A/B and D/E/F/G don't seem to realize that, despite the fact that Lynah can be a loud, intense place to play a game, it's hard to discern exactly what is being shouted/cheered in the other area. A/B will start a cheer, and D/E/F/G will take a bit to catch on because they just can't hear what exactly is being said, and vice versa. (Probably the only inexcusable exception to this is "Let's Go Red"; I just think that should catch on quickly every time no matter what.)

Hey, at least your side of the rink is mostly shouting/cheering something. Most of the time when I'm cheering over in M, I'm cheering alone or with a tiny minority of the people around me. Okay, voices get more worn out with age, I get that, but how hard is it to clap along to "Let's Go Red"?

Posted by: redredux (---.pierceatwood.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 05:44PM

I was looking at the box scores and saw Glover sat Fri and Sat. Was he benched or was there any injury involved? Sorry if this has been covered -- I didn't have time to read all the posts.

I can't believe he deserved to sit without an injury. We need his size in there to help regain the typical Cornell physical game. Also, to me, he's looked to be the most solid D man all season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login