Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] Baseball vote

Posted by DeltaOne81 
[OT] Baseball vote
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.rover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 31, 2002 01:09PM

Hey all,

Someone showed me an interested website a couple days ago. For all of you who care the slightest bit about baseball and dislike contraction, it's well worth checking out at [baseballvote.com] . Basically the idea is to try to prove to Selig and his cronies that he's moves aren't appreciated by creating an all Twins and all Expos All-Star game, or at least as close as we can get.

It's getting a good amount of plus including Baseball Weekly twice, just check out the links on the right.

Everyone is allowed to vote twenty-five time, so even with the reduced number of people on this board during the summer we may be able to make a small but definite impact. The page is [vote.mlb.com] .

For those of you on a Macintosh, someone created some AppleScripts at [audiferous.com] that do the voting for you. There's one for the AL page and one for the NL. Just enter your info, uncheck the 'spam me' box, and then run the right scripts for the right pages. It takes away the manual checking off of names and speeds the procedure up a couple times. The NL script also automatically brings you back to the beginning so you can do it again. And don't worry, the site will tell you when you're used up your votes.

TGIF,

Fred

Re: [OT] Baseball vote
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: May 31, 2002 02:51PM

Is that fair to the players who deserve to be in the All Star Game? What if some poor sap is having his carreer year this year and misses being in the one and only potential ASG of his life because of this? I have issues with the Twins being contracted, but for all I care, Montreal and Florida can fall in the ocean and I wouldn't even pause to wave good-bye.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2002 05:53PM

From baseballvote.com

Realize some of these players are not All-Star caliber, but the All Star Game is about the fans, NOT the players and owners. This is the one time of year baseball gives fans a voice. Lets use it!!!!

I for one happen to agree with that. The Baseball Weekly articles that baseballvote.com link to also address the issue and offer some alternatives for people who don't like voting for people they don't think are worthy - such as voting for Larry Walker and other ex-Expos.

Personally, I agree with the last sentence there. Boycotting baseball will just give the owner's more reason to claim losses, complaints will be ignored, but the chance to turn the All Star Game into a statement, in the comish's home town... priceless.

-Fred

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: May 31, 2002 07:21PM

After the mice kept pressing the feeder bar even after the owners did in the World Series, any possibility of fan pressure was gone forever.

Nothing will change unless the money (attendance, merchandising, advertising) dries up. "Sabotage" is a cute idea, but if you care about professional baseball (more and more difficult for anybody rational), I suggest you just keep your greenbacks in your pocket. I listen to about 100 games a year -- and the sum total of my contribution to MLB is $0.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---.157.64.168.dial1.weehawken1.level3.net)
Date: May 31, 2002 10:40PM

I agree that the game belongs to the fans, even if we are the stepchildren with deep pockets. I voted a few times for all of the Twins players and all of the Expos except for one. Having attended the Polo Grounds "in utero" during the Mets first season in 1962, I found it hard not to vote for Piazza. nut

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: June 03, 2002 01:41PM

It just doesn't matter....baseball is on its way to becoming one of the "other" sports (i.e. not football). I know someone whose company has a box at the Vet in Philly...they have to buy it for all events, so they have it for Baseball and Football. When the new Football only stadium opens, they plan to have the box there, and forget about the baseball.

I am curious if this is a documented problem in any other cities that have gone from a single baseball/football stadium to separate facilities. Is this another case of baseball owners shooting themselves in the foot?

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: June 03, 2002 02:09PM

Neil Shapiro '83 wrote:

I am curious if this is a documented problem in any other cities that have gone from a single baseball/football stadium to separate facilities. Is this another case of baseball owners shooting themselves in the foot?

Personally, I'd rather go to a baseball game at PacBell Park or Camden Yards than one of those multiuse concrete superdonuts that were so popular in the 70's.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2002 08:12PM

one of those multiuse concrete superdonuts

mmmmmmmm, superdonut <drool>

;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login