Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Internet Radio at Risk?

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Internet Radio at Risk?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.tnt2.brownsville.tx.da.uu.net)
Date: May 18, 2002 08:40AM

I just saw mention on the LaxPower forum that internet broadcasters could be in financial trouble due to per-song royalties that the federal government may be about to impose as part of the 1998 Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Apparently this might impact more than just music programming, since the stations (especially internet-only ones) could be bankrupted by the retroactive fees. Reference URL: [www.saveinternetradio.org]

Does anyone (perhaps an Anbinder) have more background on this?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Internet Radio at Risk?
Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2002 11:59AM

Done. Messages to Sen. Schumer, Sen. Clinton and Rep. Velazquez.

I think this is getting a lot of play. Both senators have drop down lists of topics to sort the email that comes in, and although the closest I could get with Schumer was "internet broadband", Clinton has a topic specifically for "internet radio".

I didn't do any independent research (not even Snopes) before I shot off my letters, so I really hope that this is real.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.80.252.64.snet.net)
Date: May 18, 2002 12:39PM

It's real - I saw an article about it recently. I can'r remember where but it was something very legit like CNN, Newsweek, etc. And while we're on a political swing, you may want to check out [digitalconsumer.org]

-Fred

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2002 03:20PM

There was a lot of talk about this from the RPI station WRPI a couple of months ago. See the links at [www.wrpi.org] on the upper right. More recently, see the following article in the school newspaper: [poly.union.rpi.edu] .

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2002 05:03PM

This is for real. Just check out this link [www.wtka.com] . This is the Detroit station that used to carry Michigan sports. Click on "Listen Live" for their statement on the subject.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2002 09:04AM

The stations which would be subject to the extremely high royalties are those which are Internet ONLY. So VBR and TKO and all of the other traditional broadcasters would actually win if the Internet only stations get hit with the excessively high royalty rate because the competition would be thinned out. TKO for example would have to pay royalties on songs but the Internet only rate is much higher and many of these "stations" are running with virtually no income.

All of this is complicated by the lack of useful audience measurement for the Internet stations. Advertising dollars are normally dependant on the number of listeners. How many listen to a given shoutcast show?

The rates according to this Washington Post sponsored article would be twice as high for an Internet only station.

[www.newsbytes.com]

And here is one from PC:

[www.pcmag.com]

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: May 21, 2002 03:47PM

A preliminary win for the good guys:

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: May 22, 2002 02:51PM

I'm curious, what rates to commercial radio stations play for airwave play? Is it much higher/lower than proposed internet rates?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2002 07:14PM

The amount is much lower than the 0.14 cents per song listed in the links that I posted above. The song writer receives most or all of the money. The new proposals included money for the singers and musicians. I am sorry that I don't remember the exact rates that I read for current broadcast radio and I have been unable to find a link to this info.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: May 23, 2002 11:19AM

For a slighly long but great overview of these isssues, I highly recommend "Webcasting Legally" by Jamie Zawinski (jwz)

[www.dnalounge.com]

For those that don't know who jwz is, I guess the best way to describe him is as the prototypical SF dot-com antigeek geek. Jamie was Netscape employee #11 or some such, meaning that he now has plenty of money to play with.

You can read his somewhat amusing, highly self-indulgent bitching at:
[www.jwz.org]

Anyway, jwz eventually quit his job at netscape after the AOL/Netscape buyout and decided to open the DNALounge in SF. He also posts the trials and tribulations surrounding of opening and running nighclub in a running welog:
[www.dnalounge.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: May 23, 2002 02:33PM

The supposed reason for the high rates (at least it was was the reason for regulating internet radio different from over-the-air) was the fear that people will use their computers to make perfect digital copies and not bother buying CDs. Apparently people didn't forsee at the time that the sound quality of streaming internet broadcasts would render that concern irrelevant.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: May 23, 2002 03:57PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

The supposed reason for the high rates (at least it was was the reason for regulating internet radio different from over-the-air) was the fear that people will use their computers to make perfect digital copies and not bother buying CDs. Apparently people didn't forsee at the time that the sound quality of streaming internet broadcasts would render that concern irrelevant.
Yeah. Thus, record labels are no longer worried about people using their computers to make perfect digital copies of music and not bother buying... Oh wait. :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login