Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hockey computer virus?

Posted by jkahn 
Hockey computer virus?
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: April 11, 2002 07:34PM

Someone unknown to me "Berniejv@hotmail.com" sent me a file named iginla(1).exe.
Being a big hockey fan, I clicked on it without thinking. Next thing you know, I'm getting "out of memory" messages and my computer is freezing up. Can't prove they're related, but I've since had windows reinstalled and it's working fine. Since whoever it is may have picked up my address from this site, I figured I better post a warning just in case.

Re: Hockey computer virus?
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2002 08:05PM

Thanks Jeff...and at least it was "iginla" and not "Conroy" or "Chartrand" or.... ;-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2002 03:14AM

Interesting that you should bring this up. For months now I've been getting emails periodically that look like they could be viruses. Some semi-random subject line and short message body plus an attachment. They come from various and sundry people. The reason I bring this up here is that the only senders I've recognized were Cornell hockey related. Also, someone I know through hockey got a similar virus message (detected by his virus scanner) supposedly from me. Now I read my mail on a Unix box which is virtually impervious to such things so I'm not terribly concerned for myself. But it seems possible that someone has picked up addresses off of the forums.

Anyway, I'm kind of babbling late at night. But the morale is, of course, don't open attachments unless you know and trust the source and the message looks genuine.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2002 09:01AM

Keith,

What makes a Unix box impervious?

Thanks

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2002 09:14AM

More or less the same thing that makes a Mac impervious (to 99% of em). The virii are written for Winduhs OSes. Which is easier to do because they all leave gaping flaming security holes that make the lives of admins pure torture. Also, unless you're logged on as root on a unix box, your user probably doesn't have enough permission to do any catastrophic damage.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: April 12, 2002 09:30AM

What Age's vitriolic spewing means is that beacuse of file level security on Unix, even if you could find a unix virus (none are known to exist) *and* were stupid enough to run a virus (not easy given the thoughtful designs of mail clients), you could at most trash your user directory without effecting system wide processes. You files might be munged, but the machine would stay up.

If for no other reason, windows, macos and unix/linux would each have a 33% market share in an ideal world because a monoculture is bad and genetic diversity is good. :)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.phys.utb.edu)
Date: April 12, 2002 11:02AM

Of course, this does assume that your linux box doesn't have any unfixed root exploits that allow code executed by an unprivileged user to masquerade as root. But in general, yes, even if a hacker tried to target linux with an email virus they would need to trick the user into running the program, and then if they wanted to destroy anything besides the user's own files, they'd need to try a root exploit and be lucky enough to email it to a system which was still vulnerable to it.

The bottom line is that you should not execute programs mailed to you unless you have a good reason to. The problem is that Windows has associated the same action (double-clicking on an icon) with viewing content people email to you as with executing code. rolleyes

Unfortunately, even non-Windows-users bear some of the brunt of these email attacks, since a popular form of virus these days spreads itself by mailing itself to everyone in the address book of the infected user. yark

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 12, 2002 12:26PM

> For months now I've been getting emails periodically that look like they could be viruses. Some semi-random subject line and short message body plus an attachment. They come from various and sundry people. The reason I bring this up here is that the only senders I've recognized were Cornell hockey related.

Same here. Also, from time to time I receive both spam- and virus-laden emails with a sender of "(someone I recognize)@(random generated looking suffix)". My paranoia assumes that either they can read my address book or can see the messages I send.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: April 12, 2002 02:18PM

JTW wrote

Of course, this does assume that your linux box doesn't have any unfixed root exploits that allow code executed by an unprivileged user to masquerade as root.
I have a headache. When we talk about sports I understand you. uhoh

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2002 09:07PM

for clarity,
the emails are actually not sent from the people that you get them from. the viruses usually raid an address book on the computer of someone, send the email with the virus attached from say Bob but the email is from the computer that had bob in the address book.
more info can be had from one of the various antivirus program sites. just DL a free antivirus program and enable email protection - u should have no problems as long as you update the definitions every once in a while.

Date: April 15, 2002 12:39PM

Can you suggest a good free antivirus site?

Posted by: Doug Dickerson (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2002 08:42PM

Greg

I was running Mcafee's Antivirus and then read an article
in the paper by a computer guy that he thought the best
free software was AVG antivirus from www.grisoft.com.
I downloaded it and it works great.

Doug

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 15, 2002 09:04PM

If your a Cornell student, staff, professor, etc (aka: have an active netID), you're entitled to a free copy of Norton AntiVirus ( [www.cit.cornell.edu] ) - just in case you didn't know.

Date: April 15, 2002 09:12PM

I run Norton already. It's okay but crap gets through occasionally. It does have a great update service at least.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2002 12:41AM

i use norton also but stuff that seems to get through doesnt for me. i just get messages when i get a virus in say an attachment - norton takes care of it.
works well for me
of course the definition subscription runs out every 3 months....annoying. there is a way to extend that though...........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login