Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What has to happen for Cornell to end up in Ann Arbor as opposed to Worcester?

Posted by Raine 
What has to happen for Cornell to end up in Ann Arbor as opposed to Worcester?
Posted by: Raine (---.clnt3401.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 10:00AM

?

Re: What has to happen for Cornell to end up in Ann Arbor as opposed to Worcester?
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 11:06AM

Step 1, of course, is they have to get an invitation. I wouldn't start countin' that chicken just yet.

Re: What has to happen for Cornell to end up in Ann Arbor as opposed to Worcester?
Posted by: ugarte (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 11:09AM

Step 2 is the almost arbitrary decision to send us West. Also a chicken that shouldn't be counted.

Posted by: Robb (---.56.124.3.dial1.dallas1.level3.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 11:15AM

You ask this question as if you hope we end up in Ann Arbor. I'd say we have a better shot being one of the two teams left standing in Worcester than Ann Arbor. Even if the NCAA decides not to consider travel considerations, UNH will probably be one of the top teams in the East. I would definitely feel better about facing UNH in Worcester than being in SCSU, Denver, or Michigan's bracket in Ann Arbor... Just curious what your reasoning is?

Posted by: Jordan '04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2002 11:59AM

I would hazard a guess that the mi.comcast.net might have something to do with his reasoning.

Date: February 03, 2002 04:51PM

Yeah, I am in Michigan, and was wondering if there was any forumula that dictated which team played where.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 05:35PM

There's an excellent article on USCHO about how the field is selected and seeded, and another off of TBRW? by John Whelan.

I hazard a guess that Cornell probably won't wind up west no matter what. Either they won't make it, or they'll finish strong and wind up an East #4, or they'll sneak in and get an East #5 or #6 seed. If anybody goes west it would likely be Mercyhurst or an HE school to avoid a second round all-HE meeting.

But there are hopefully 12 more games to worry about before thinking about seeding.

Posted by: Raine (---.pntiac01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2002 07:45AM

Any idea where that article is on uscho? I used a few different search strings but couldn't track it down.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:31AM

The USCHO article Greg is referring to is probably the tournament selection FAQ,
[www.uscho.com]
but this was written before the whole reduced travel issue came up. You may want to look at
[slack.net]
which includes a dry run with this rule in effect.

If they really are minimizing travel, I can't see how we would get shipped out West, since for anyone to be shipped there would need to be five non-bye Eastern teams, but if three of them are from Hockey East, they would have to ship one of those to avoid a first-round intraconference game. If it were two HE teams, two ECAC teams, and a MAAC team, you'd have to assume they'd ship the MAAC champion, especially if it's Mercyhurst.

For the sake of completeness, I should mention that if we somehow end up #4 and UNH is #1, then we would end up the two-seed in the West to make the bracketing work out right. If that happens, I will travel to Ann Arbor on the back of a flying pig.

Posted by: Adam (---.executiveboard.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:42AM

Just curious:

Does anyone think that Cornell's strong fan following will play into a decision to keep them east? Obviously we don't have the numbers of say, a Michigan, but we do have a rather large fan base in the east. Are these economic considerations taken into account?

Posted by: Faithful '01 (---.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: February 04, 2002 01:05PM

Can we just win at Placid first? Stop worrying about all this. It doesn't really matter where we go if we don't win, and I don't think anyone will be complaining if we go either place anyway.

Posted by: Raine (---.pntiac01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2002 03:02PM

I just wanted to know if it was even a remote possibility that I could see Cornell play in the state I live in.

It would make it alot more fun to follow the games if I knew what had to happen in order for Cornell to play here.

Calm down.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 06:29PM

Coach Schafer has ties with a number of CCHA coaches. In the past he has scheduled games at Michigan, Western Michigan, and Ferris State. I'm sure you will have several chances to see them play in the area over the next few years.

Date: February 04, 2002 06:53PM

Yeah, but by then I won't have friends on the team. :`(

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 04, 2002 10:37PM

Attendance is certainly taken into account; it was probably the reason we were kept in the East in 1996 instead of Lowell, and in 1997 Joe Marsh had to lobby for Cornell's drawing power to get them considered on the same footing with UVM and UNH when deciding whom to ship out. (Cornell went anyway, but not for attendance reasons.)

I did an analysis a few years back on the seedings in 1996-1998, the last years for which we got adequate explanations from the selection committee. That's on line at
[slack.net]

JTW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login