Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lake Placid TV Broadcast

Posted by Coleen Howe 
Lake Placid TV Broadcast
Posted by: Coleen Howe (---.clnt3401.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2002 10:21PM

Are the LP games going to be Televised? Apologies if this was already discussed -- I could not find the info here. Thanks.

Re: Lake Placid TV Broadcast
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: March 14, 2002 01:00AM

NESN and the Empire Sports Network will broadcast the semifinals and final live. Comcast Sports Network will carry the final on tape delay late Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:44AM

I just looked at the listings for Empire on:

www.zap2it.com

The only game listed was the final at 7:30 on Saturday. So what is real here? Will the semi's be on?

Thanks.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 07:51AM

According to: [www.ecac.org]

the semis will be on NESN only. The Buffalo Sabres have a game Friday and it will be shown on Empire instead of the semis. The Final will be on both Empire and NESN at 7:30 on Saturday.

Posted by: Ken71 (207.127.234.---)
Date: March 14, 2002 08:29AM

In Ithaca, TWC must be carrying the NESN feed - they're saying they'll have both semis Friday and the championship game Saturday night:

[twcny.com]

LET"S GO RED !!!

Ken '71

Posted by: Robin (---.dialin.iupui.edu)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:28PM

from the website in the previous message:

"Both semi-finals and Saturdays championship game can be seen live on Time Warner Cable Channel 77. "

what exactly is cable channel 77? is this only in the northeast?

RBL '98

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:34PM

It's Empire Sports - so it's pretty much only NY. NESN is New England sports so it's only New England. Elsewhere only if you have a satellite.

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:47PM

Cable channel 77 is where Time Warner Cable in Ithaca puts all manner of informercials and their coverage of occasional special events like the ECAC playoffs.

Ken '71

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:49PM

hmm guess i should get a tape tomorrow to tape the games!
this time i wont buy a two hour one or do whatever i did last week.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---.nycm.splitrock.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:49PM

>Elsewhere only if you have a satellite.<

Can you still "dial up" or "point" tv satellite receivers? I was told by someone last year that the FCC somehow stopped this by forcing satellite signals to be scrambled, so that only the satellite providers could furnish the channels. Unless, of course, you have a super inter-galactic reverse superconducting descrambling box. What gives? How do you get broadcasts that are not offered by your satellite provider?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 07:17PM

If it's a standard VHS recorder, it should be able to record either two hours (standard play) or six hours (extended play) on a "two hour" tape. But you've got to tell the recorder which you want. (Recording quality is better at two hours but then you miss the third period.) help

Posted by: jason (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 07:25PM

Or the quality/quantity compromise speed "LP" (4hrs on a standard tape --great for hockey games barring a long ot), which is my preferred speed but not available on all VCRs.

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 10:35PM

I haven't seen a VCR that records in LP mode in ages, but most of them can still play old tapes that were recorded at that speed.

Not an issue for TiVo users. I just tell it to record the game, and the hard drive holds dozens of hours. :-)

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 14, 2002 10:42PM

It's a hockey game, not The Matrix. You don't lose much with the difference between fast and slow recording speeds.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 11:10PM

Scott asked:

Can you still "dial up" or "point" tv satellite receivers? I was told by someone last year that the FCC somehow stopped this by forcing satellite signals to be scrambled, so that only the satellite providers could furnish the channels

While it is true that more and more satellite feeds are scrambled, there is no FCC ruling dictating this. I watched the Yale QF game by pointing a big satellite dish at Satellite AMC2, KU-band transponder 13 and Laura Stange said the Lake Placid games should be on this same feed.

These coordinates give you the feed that is sourced from the game site. This is then captured by Empire and NESN, they insert local commercials, and retransmit on their channel. The only commercials I saw during the QF were AVAYA commercials, the Cornell and Yale school promos, and the ECAC LP commercials. During other commercial breaks, the camera sometimes panned until it decided what shot was wanted to come out of commercial. Unfortunately, they killed the mike, so there was no chatter from the announcers.

The following link shows what is on satellite AMC2. There are very few clear analog channels (in white, like the NASA channel). Feeds from a site may or may not be scrambled, and the feed from Ithaca was not, so I am hopeful the feed from LP will also not be scrambled

[www.lyngsat.com]

At this point, I am certain that I have told you more than you want to know.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 11:36PM

And lately, missing an RIP third period has been significant! :-D

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 17, 2002 11:33PM

My fabulous 1997-vintage RCA VCR with "Commercial Advance" records on SP, LP, and SLP. Don't think I've ever bothered using LP, though.

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 18, 2002 12:59AM

Tapes don't even say "LP" on them anymore. This is a dumb question but... can you use that setting?

My favorite moment of the ESPNews 'cast of the selection show -- a graphic showing the record of the "Cornell Crimson."

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2002 04:02AM

Tapes don't even say "LP" on them anymore. This is a dumb question but... can you use that setting?

On the sleeve of the Sony 8hr tape I bought to record the ECAC final:
"Recording Time: EP 8 hours, LP 5 hours 20 minutes, SP 2 hours 40 minutes"

I use LP (certainly available on the Panasonic VCR I bought in '98) because of the good comprimise between recording time and quality. That extra time sure helped in getting all of the final, BTW. Also, I own a vintage 1978 (not a typo) VCR that can't handle EP (aka SLP). I can't dub some of the '96-'97 games because of that.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2002 06:08AM

The LP question depends on the brand of the VCR that you use. Since JVC "invented" the VHS standard and they never approved the 4 hour LP speed, their machines won't record at that middle speed but they will play back those tapes made on machines that do.

Panasonic machines continue to support all three speeds in recording and playback.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2002 11:20AM

Most decent VCRs will record LP and all will play back. Since you need to add an additional head to record, most lower end models don't offer it. And since EP/SLP is so crappy, I'd never buy a VCR without LP recording. But that's all moot with a 181-hour TiVo :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login