Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Penalties

Posted by gwm3 
Penalties
Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:39PM

Will any of the penalties assessed near the end of the game result in automatic one-game suspensions?

Re: Penalties
Posted by: curoadkill (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:51PM

I think they were all misconducts which should make everyone ok for tomorrow. No game disqualifications in the bunch.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:59PM

Yes, all are fine for tomorrow night. . .there were no game DSQ's, all penalties were 2:00's for roughing and 10:00's for misconduct.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 11:02PM

The box score at collegehockeystats.com does indeed say that five players on each side were given two for roughing and ten-minute misconducts. Everyone should be good to go tmorrow night.

Posted by: peterg@bgdmlaw.com (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 11:47PM

Interesting, though, that there was nothing more called against Harvard. From my vantage, they were the instigators, but more importantly, at the time of the altercations they were two men down. That means that two players came off the bench to join the fray and that usually results in significant penalties.

Posted by: judy (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2002 11:17AM

didn't their two penalties just expire though? I think that was how it was 5 players from each side fighting

Posted by: Louise H 83 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2002 11:26AM

I'm pretty sure there were :14 left on the penalties. I had thought the fight started because Harvard had too many men on the ice, but I guess I didn't catch it fast enough, since they didn't get penalized for that.

In a change. . .Doubtful
Date: February 02, 2002 12:56PM

I guess the Crimson's only defense would be that they were in the middle of a change, only porblem is. . .we were rushing there zone 3 on 2 when it started (that leaves one guy for them to start a fight with two of our guys?!?!). So, to try and straighten out this thing. . .they must have had players leave the bench to either start the fight or get involved in it. Either way there should have been some game DSQ's and more penalties for them.
Oh well, what's done is done. . .GREAT effort from the RED!!!

We have now proven that Harvard SUCKS. . .LGR!!!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2002 02:38PM

I think what happened was that Kotyra decided to even things up by giving all ten skaters on the ice 2+10, but forgot that there were only supposed to be 8 skaters on the ice at the time. Here's basically what happened from my perspective/memory and the accounts of those around me in C: a crowd of Harvard players surrounded Paolini and started to disrobe him; in the ensuing scuffle, someone went after Matt McRae, and Mark McRae came to his defense, and ended up wrestling with a Harvard player on the boards of the Harvard bench. Harvard's #5, Welch, ended up straddling Paolini and punching him. (Rumor has it that Schafer had to physically restrain Hornby to keep him on the bench.) When the players were separated and the penalties were being sorted out, the crowd started chanting "Five...out!" and it was pretty amazing Welch didn't get more. In the end, I suppose it was just as well, since Kotyra would likely have done something stupid like DQ Paolini as well. (Let's just say he didn't ref the best game tonight.)

Other entertaining incidents included Mazzoleni banging a stick against the boards and then throwing it on the ice, which resulted in the aforementioned 5x3, since there was a delayed penalty being called at the time, as well as one of the Harvard players throwing a check after the whistle and getting a pop from Underhill's catching glove. (You have to figure Matt reckoned he's not playing tomorrow anyway...)

Anyway, the quicktime replays of this will be interesting to watch...

Date: February 03, 2002 12:47AM

Rumor has it that Schafer had to physically restrain Hornby to keep him on the bench
Ha ha... Hornby's a punk (and becoming quite a crowd favorite for it I might add).

Date: February 03, 2002 02:07AM

Graham he's not a "punk". . .if you know much about hockey you would know he's doing his job. . .he is a checking forward, that's what he does. And yes, people love seeing him fly around the rink like an unguided missile, but he sure isn't doing it for us.

Harvard still SUCKS. . .LGR!!!

Date: February 03, 2002 12:43PM

I understand that he's doing his job, and he is doing it well (and drawing a lot few fewer penalty minutes per game than last year, when he had 40 in 10 games). But it also seems pretty clear that the guy loves a fight. I just found the image of Schafer having to restrain him amusing.

Hornby
Date: February 03, 2002 12:58PM

Graham, I hear ya on that one. . .it was quite amusing to see Schafer have to hold him on the bench. All in all he is becoming a very good checking forward. . .and like you said he's not drawing as many penalties as last year but he is landing more and more of his checks every game. LGR!!!

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 06:59PM

From my vantage pt Harvard was DEFINITELY the instigator. 3 or 4 of them teamed up on Sammy. They were more or less strangling the guy. That was one mean fight. Luckily the REd more than held their own!

Although well after the fact I have a question. I thought that the 10 min majors would carry over for 8.5 min of Sat's game but they didn't. Do 10 min majors not carry over?

Date: February 03, 2002 07:29PM

No penalties carry over from one game to the next. . .except for game DSQ's. Misconducts just get the players off the ice so it won't happen again.

LGR!!!

Re: Hornby
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 12:36AM

He's also displayed some pretty good puck skills, which are always a bonus to have from a checking forward. The goal he scored against Dartmouth, in particular, struck me as quite impressive, a pretty wrister over Boucher's shoulder, if I recall correctly. (Shame that the outcome wasn't as pretty.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login