Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson @ Cornell game 1 2004-03-12-FINAL 5-1 Cornell

Posted by jy3 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Clarkson @ Cornell game 1 2004-03-12-FINAL 5-1 Cornell
Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:27PM

colgate lost

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:27PM

Thank you CU Athletics for allowing me (and others) to watch the game on the internet!!!!

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:28PM

thanks cornell!

Posted by: Komorowski (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:29PM

ditto to that....keep this up and if i ever make it out of the poverty grad student level I'll think about donating back!

Date: March 12, 2004 09:30PM

I started a post game thread but you can't really see it from page 1....

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:30PM

Maine won 2-1 over Merrimack. Haven't seen anything to tell me who was in goal. Anyone know if it was Howard?

Date: March 12, 2004 09:32PM

4-1 Harvard as the borwn defense collpases killing a PP...looks like that's about it. I'm thinking now I've love to meet harvard in the playoffs for a 5th consecutive yr

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:34PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Maine won 2-1 over Merrimack. Haven't seen anything to tell me who was in goal. Anyone know if it was Howard? [/Q]
It was Howard.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:38PM

I believe Howard was in goal uhoh

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:41PM

Figured as much. Didn't really expect that Merrimack would challenge Maine, regardless of who was in the net.

That game was INSANE
Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:54PM

Just got back from the game and it was INSANE. Scored 2 quick goals early on and never looked back. Clarkson was definitely frustrated. They were constantly in penalty and to top it off the fight in the end was great. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow

Jacob

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 09:57PM

man was it nice to see Nickerson get his ass whooped

Posted by: hIKE (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:00PM

Someone on USCHO, a Clarkson fan of course, claims that it was Vartressian who got his ass whooped with two huge punches after Vartressian landed a few smaller ones...can anyone tell me who had the upperhand/an accurate description of the fight?

Posted by: Dan '81 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:03PM

Do both of these guys get thrown out for tomorrow night's game?? I just got home. I take it the fight was after the game ended?

Posted by: hIKE (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:05PM

Nope, during

Date: March 12, 2004 10:06PM

Do they get kicked out tomorrow too?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:07PM

I don't think Nickerson even threw any punches, otherwise he would be gone for tomorrow.

Date: March 12, 2004 10:08PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

I don't think Nickerson even threw any punches, otherwise he would be gone for tomorrow. [/Q]

ok, thanks.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:08PM

Varteressian definitely threw his gloves down and started the punching -- didn't see what set him off. Nickerson ended up down on the ice getting the snot beat out of him, as everyone on the Cornell bench was on their feet cheering.

Re: Clarkson @ Cornell game 1 2004-03-12 - 3 P 5-0 CU
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:11PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Can I change my vote for least respected opponent? I now hate Nickerson just as much as I hate [/Q]

Not to worry. The little darling sewed up the Melrose tonight.

Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:15PM

I was at Lynah watching Vartaressian when he threw a roundhouse at a Clarkson player that missed entirely. The ref saw it, pointed right at him, gave him more than a few words as play continued. Then Vartaressian dropped gloves and you know the rest. Vartaressian was definitely warned by the ref. I don't know what got Vartaressian angry, but he should use his head more in any game, especially tournament play. [Dave, visiting with Louise for the weekend]

Posted by: Mel '00 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:17PM

What a game! Fight was right in front of us. There is no way the Clarkson guy got any upper hand. Vartressian grabbed the guy, toar his helmet off, threw three punches that all connected and threw him down on the ice.

Knoepfli with the hat trick. I would have thrown a hat on the ice if I had one. I only saw one hat on the ice. Its too bad they announced the first goal as Bitz only to change it later. I am guessing most people didn't realize they changed the scoring and it was a hat trick.

And the best part of the game was getting my first puck. And this time no one was hit in the head either ;) Although at the very beginning of the game, one flew right past us that could have been trouble.

Lets go Red! One more tomorrow because I can't be here Sunday.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:23PM

Nickerson needed a beat down and Vartressian delivered it with style. I'd love to see a replay of that good old fashioned smack down. Seeing everyone on the CU bench banging their sticks in a show of appreciation topped it all off. I would bet that Vartressian was put out there with Nickerson for a reason. He sure acted like he had a job to do. Great stuff.
The rest of the game was pretty fun too.

Will's thoughts on the game
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:25PM

Great game tonight. Cornell basically played the game that got them so many victories last year--score early and often, then sit on the lead. The first period was the most exciting single period of Cornell hockey that I've seen in a few weeks.

- See ya, Nickerson...you goon. Too bad he didn't get tossed out of tomorrow's game too, though.
- If one of our guys is going to take the fall, I'm glad it's Varteressian. I'm guessing that means we'll get Pegs tomorrow night.
- To all those (few) of you who thought Knoepfli was worthless...:-P
- Clarkson was obviously quite frustrated throughout the game, and unfortunately Cornell got a lot of matching penalties.
- Great to see Glover back in the lineup, and garnering an assist. I didn't think we'd see him again this season.
- All in all, a great game. I hope our boys can pull off the same feat again tomorrow night. LET'S GO RED!!!

Date: March 12, 2004 10:28PM

Varteressian was egged on by nickerson who laid 2 pretty bad 2 handers onto V's arm. The ref's didnt call anything (as seemed to be the case the entire night) so he took matters into his own hands.

Varteressian is gone tomorrow Nickerson didn't get a game misconduct....he just got his ass whopped

Posted by: Drew '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:38PM

Great game...a few thoughts. First of all, I was in section N after spending much of the season in section L. The fans in section N are absolutely fabulous, many original cheers etc....so don't ever say the "townies" don't care...because they sure as hell do. Anyway, about the game:
-Team played great, probably the best passing I have seen from them this year.
-It was great to see some shots go in the net, so often we just can't seem to connect, but tonight we were buzzing all night.
-Iggy again was excellent, he has really impressed me with his progress
-As was said earlier, great to see Glover back, I had too thought he was done for the year
- As for the fight, I think what set him off (whether he was sent by coach or acted on his own can be debated), was that Nickerson took several two handed chops to players wrists during the game. He did it to V twice at least, and I saw him do it to Moulson on Vesce. They were all in the iddle of the ice as we were coming into the zone. But the fight was right in front of us and without a doubt V won. He did miss with one punch and hit the ice and he left flexing his left hand so he may have inadvertantly hurt himself.
-Other than that great game all around...hope we see the same performance tomorrow night.
-I assume Knoepfli was the first star...anyone know the others?

-Drew BS '01, DVM '05

Posted by: Molly (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:40PM

[Q]I assume Knoepfli was the first star...anyone know the others?[/Q]

I believe second was Iggulden and third was Bitz

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:41PM

[Q]hIKE Wrote:

Someone on USCHO, a Clarkson fan of course, claims that it was Vartressian who got his ass whooped with two huge punches after Vartressian landed a few smaller ones...can anyone tell me who had the upperhand/an accurate description of the fight? [/Q]
If that's the vicb posting on USCHO, I think he typed "Nickerson" when he meant to type "Varteressian." His point was that Nickerson was smart in not getting drawn into the fight with resulting DQ from Saturday's game.

I think he was trying to say "so what if Varteressian landed a couple of punches--Nickerson will be playing Saturday." But now the world knows Nickerson is the Lou Fontinato of college hockey tough guys. When a real tough guy stands up to him, he folds his tent, a la Fontinato after Gordie Howe ground his face into hamburger.

Posted by: Drew '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:58PM

One thing that I forgot to add since I doubt the people in B or D saw it. But Nickerson went after one of the fans who was taunting him from section C after his double minor. I believe the cops came down and warned the fan, but we were definetly inside the goons head all night.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 10:59PM

Ummmm, it was pretty bush league of Varteressian to do and pretty embarrassing. Was really impressed with Nickerson keeping his composure and staying disciplined. If Nickerson didn't play tomorrow, Clarkson would have on chance. Now they are gonna be all fired up and if Cornell is winning in the third period, I expect Nickerson to hurt someone very badly. He is crazy. And it means nothing to him that he could get tossed from college hockey forever if he does do something stupid. A QMJHL team is all over him and trying to get him to leave school and play for them.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 11:02PM

[Q]Komorowski Wrote:

Varteressian was egged on by nickerson who laid 2 pretty bad 2 handers onto V's arm. The ref's didnt call anything (as seemed to be the case the entire night) so he took matters into his own hands.

Varteressian is gone tomorrow Nickerson didn't get a game misconduct....he just got his ass whopped [/Q]

Varteressian got a game disqualification (carries a one game suspension), Nickerson got a game misconduct (just ends your night a bit early)

Date: March 12, 2004 11:21PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Ummmm, it was pretty bush league of Varteressian to do and pretty embarrassing. Was really impressed with Nickerson keeping his composure and staying disciplined. If Nickerson didn't play tomorrow, Clarkson would have on chance. Now they are gonna be all fired up and if Cornell is winning in the third period, I expect Nickerson to hurt someone very badly. He is crazy. And it means nothing to him that he could get tossed from college hockey forever if he does do something stupid. A QMJHL team is all over him and trying to get him to leave school and play for them. [/Q]

Ari, can you explain to me why you think it is embarrassing? "Did ya get that memo ...?"Nickerson is an as*hole and a goon and if anyone on the ice deserved to get his ass kicked he was it. Perhaps you missed the entire Cornell bench up and cheering. [steps off soapbox]

Now I agree with you that tomorrow night has the potential to get ugly and very messy. But Clarkson/Cornell has a long history of this crap so I am in no way surprised to see it happen again. Hell, I got punched by a student usher at Cheel for standing on my seat after the game was over ... rolleyes. That campus is just full of testosterone monkey's who can't get laid but will pick a fight with my grandmother if she was cheering for Cornell. (unfortuniately most of them are still bitter b/c they got rejected from Cornell)
[cue RichS]

Let's hope Murphy can keep it under control and not let things take on a life of their own.

Date: March 12, 2004 11:28PM

There's no fighting allowed in college hockey. Varteressian intentionally went after their best player. I hate the guy as much as anyone, and I saw the whole Cornell bench up, but there was something cheap about it. Winning the game would have been enough for me. Now, Nickerson and the rest of the Knights are going to be really fired up for tomorrow night and as I said, if Cornell is winning late, Nickerson could seriously injure someone. The fight was great, but it really was unnecessary. It just looked like Cornell trying to get Clarkson's best player into getting kicked out.
I totally agree that Clarkson is cheap and certainly has some goons, but there is no reason to stoop down to their level and pick a fight. Again, winning the game was enough for me. I hate Nickerson.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2004 11:31PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Ummmm, it was pretty bush league of Varteressian to do and pretty embarrassing. Was really impressed with Nickerson keeping his composure and staying disciplined. If Nickerson didn't play tomorrow, Clarkson would have on chance. Now they are gonna be all fired up and if Cornell is winning in the third period, I expect Nickerson to hurt someone very badly. He is crazy. And it means nothing to him that he could get tossed from college hockey forever if he does do something stupid. A QMJHL team is all over him and trying to get him to leave school and play for them. [/Q]

Bush league or not, that might become one of the defining moments of the season. Sure, Varteressian is out for tomorrow, but did you see the way the teams reacted? Clarkson sat dejectedly back down on the bench after seeing one of their best players refuse to put up a fight while Cornell pounded the boards with their sticks.

You say it could fire up Clarkson, but the immediate reaction to the fight certainly points to the opposite result.

I don't think Nickerson will go after anyone. If the game was out of hand in the third, you would see a lot more 2nd-4th lines and possibly Todd Marr in the net. And don't forget Hornby will be around.

Re: Clarkson @ Cornell game 1 2004-03-12 - 2 P 4-0 CU
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 11:32PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

If this game gets out of hand...George Roll, you better put a leash on your team. He proved in Ithaca two weeks ago that he can't keep his cool...put Varteressian on the ice!! [/Q]Well, Ihave to give atb9 the best predicting award for the night, maybe the season.

What has been said about Nickerson is all true and then some. Even my wife realized 2 weeks ago that he was a goon. Ther were many more cheap shots than mentioned so far. One that particularly bothered me was in the first period, in our offensive zone, he butt-ended one of our players on the boards. Totally cheap.

I don't know if he was sent in to do it, I kind of doubt it, but the first player to bang his stick was Mckee, which says something, since they were both Texas Toranados.

Posted by: .m.o.o.n.l.i.g.h.t.d.a.n.c.i.n.g. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 11:32PM

My own thoughts on game:

*Wow, we were DOMINATING! The best game ive seen them play all year. The first period was truly spectacular.. hopefully we can pull this off tomorrow as well:-D
*Number 7 is the ugliest thing I ever did see.
*Paul V. had every right to slap the shit out of Nickerson.. that little bitch was slammin him around the whole game... and it never got called. He's a dirty player and needed to get off the ice. Unfortunatly, Murphy made the wrong call for Nickerson who should be out of tomorrow's game as well. There's a time when someone messes with you so much that it gets to the point where you think.. "if he does it one more time.." and Paul just snapped. He's only human. If I could, I'd congradulate him.
*An all around great game for the Big Red. After we win tomorrow (knocking on wood) and do great in the finals, every fair weather fan should be saying "damn i shouldve gone"

goooood luck red

Date: March 12, 2004 11:48PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

There's no fighting allowed in college hockey. Varteressian intentionally went after their best player. I hate the guy as much as anyone, and I saw the whole Cornell bench up, but there was something cheap about it. Winning the game would have been enough for me. Now, Nickerson and the rest of the Knights are going to be really fired up for tomorrow night and as I said, if Cornell is winning late, Nickerson could seriously injure someone. The fight was great, but it really was unnecessary. It just looked like Cornell trying to get Clarkson's best player into getting kicked out.
I totally agree that Clarkson is cheap and certainly has some goons, but there is no reason to stoop down to their level and pick a fight. Again, winning the game was enough for me. I hate Nickerson. [/Q]

Agreed, there is no fighting in college hockey ... but i think this fight was more of a statement to all comers that this Cornell team isn't going to take any sh*t, from anyone. During the regular season i would completely agree that it wouldn't have been worth it but that is not the case. Varteressian's actions spoke for the teams mentality from here forward. Although this group is the #2 seed they have a lot to prove … even it’s to themselves.

as they opinions are like as*holes ... this one’s mine;-) :-P ;-)

Date: March 12, 2004 11:48PM

moonlightdancing, Murphy sucked as usual tonight, but he did not make the wrong call. Nickerson didn't throw any punches and the altercation was totally initiated by Varteressian. In that sequence, Nickerson didn't do anything that should ben punished with a DQ.

Date: March 12, 2004 11:51PM

you mean other than getting his ass beat ...:-D

Date: March 12, 2004 11:53PM

ben, we're on similar footing here. I agree that it sent a message and it was probably good for the players. But I still think it was cheap. Maybe it was warranted, but I still think winning the game would have been enough. It looks bad stooping down to their level. I plan to give Nickerson as much shit tomorrow as I have the last two games. I hate him, but he is one hell of a hockey player and showed great discipline in not throwing any punches. If he played for Cornell, he would be one of the most popular players ever. He is cheap and I am very concerned that he going to hurt someone tomorrow night. If he gets banned from college hockey for life, it doesn't mean much to him. A QMJHL team is all over him and wants him to leave school and play for them. If they lose tomorrow night, he has nothing to lose (except respect and reputation of course) but going nuts and hurting someone.

Date: March 12, 2004 11:56PM

we're definitley on the same page and i agree he is dangerous ... especially if the game get away from them. we can only hope that things do not play out that way tomorrow night.

Posted by: .m.o.o.n.l.i.g.h.t.d.a.n.c.i.n.g. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2004 11:59PM

No I disagree because Nickerson dropped his gloves as did Varteressian to fight.. and he fought back. They both fought, same punishment.

Date: March 13, 2004 12:07AM

He did not drop them until after he was getting his a*s beat v. Varteressian who instigated the fight by throwing off his gloves prior to contact with Nickerson subtle difference especially in college) ... and as much as he struggled he did not throw what would be considered punches. In this case as much as it pains me to say (and i will go make myself throw-up when i am done) ... Murphy made the correct call. *gasp*

okay time to go boot ... yark yark yark

Date: March 13, 2004 12:07AM

Nickerson may have the most potential but I wouldn't say he is their best player. Granted I wasn't at Lynah but I did watch the entire game on the webcast and I saw him at Lynah two weeks ago. His skating is weak. He misplayed the puck a bunch of times. He is a head case and makes a bunch of mental mistakes. His body positioning is far from perfect when defending one and one and guys can get around him with speed. I remember Charlie Cook--a good skater but a D man--blowing by him two weeks ago! His strengths are pinning people against the boards and his shot. The guy is a goon and we got into his head two weeks ago and I knew the faithful would be able to do the same thing tonight.

I predicted Varteressian would be sent into the frey because he's been "that guy" all season. When things get scrappy, Vart gets thrown out there and he bangs people around. Nickerson saw him and hit him TWICE, double handed, in front of the linesman and NOTHING was called. Vart looked at the linesman and then threw down his gloves. I would trade Vart for Nickerson any day and the dirty way Nickerson was playing he deserved to get into a fight. Also, against the Abbotts, Nickerson had to come in and do the dirty work for one of Clarksons other players when McKee got his mask ripped off. So we then send in Vart to do the same. We were far from the aggressors and when things got out of hand, Vart was there to say if you injure us while we're up by 5 goals, then you're going to have to deal with me.

I'm starting to ramble...we've had this conversation before on eLynah...is fighting good or not? does it have a place? Who cares. Nickerson has now had two weak games at Lynah. Clarkson was absolutely dominated tonight. If Clarkson comes fired up tomorrow, we should be even more fired up. Go Red!!!

Date: March 13, 2004 12:12AM

agreed. Murphy made the right call on the fight. Vart definitely instigated after he got "slashed" twice. It looked like Nickerson didn't want to fight.

Date: March 13, 2004 12:20AM

the slashes should have been called ... for sure

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 12:24AM

While he might not have landed any punches, from my angle, Nickerson did look like he was trying to. That said, I'm happy both for the fight and for the shutout being broken in the 3rd. Once we went up 5-0, the team seemed very complacent to me, and (maybe it's wishful thinking) it looked like allowing the late goal snapped them out of it. I'm hoping that the momentum from the end of the 3rd and the fight will carry over to our guys tomorrow, like Tub(a) mentioned.

I was also happy to see the team come out so strong in the 1st. It reminded me of last season, where we seemed to start off the first five minutes or so by playing very aggressive and taking the body whenever possible. More often than not, it seemed to set the tone for the game, and also got our opponents to tense up, looking out for where the next hit would be coming from.

The music department is forcing me to perform in a concert tomorrow night, so I won't get to see the game, but I'll smuggle a radio in with me...;-)

Date: March 13, 2004 12:25AM

Nickerson definitely didn't want to fight because he knows how valuable he is to his team and obviously there is no value if he isn't playing. The guy easily played 30 minutes in each of the games Clarkson has played at Lynah.
Murphy is the worst ref I have ever seen hands down. The charge on Moulson should have been a game misconduct. The play where McKee's helmet came off should have also been a game misconduct. If things get out of control tomorrow, which I really think they will, it will be because Murphy lets it happen like tonight and so many other times this year.

That game was INSANE
Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 01:58AM

Just got back from the game and it was INSANE. Scored 2 quick goals early on and never looked back. Clarkson was definitely frustrated. They were constantly in penalty and to top it off the fight in the end was great. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow

Jacob

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login