Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Cheers

Posted by Ack 
New Cheers
Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:21AM

Since we've all noticed the poor quality/quantity of cheering this year, we thought we'd give all these a chance. Most of these were born on the ride back from RPI - a 3 hour trip will do that to you.

Everyone loves Bâby and Underhill of course, but there's been plenty of talk about needing new cheer songs for the crowd. The "beauty" of these is that they deal with the younger players, and in place of Vesce and Hornby, players in future generations can be used instead.

Corny, perhaps...but give them a chance to sink in, it took us about 15 rounds of each cheer to actually have them feel like they have potential to be taken in and used by the Faithful. Comment please, as you should.

-------

For Moulson:

After he scores and we do the usual chanting (sieve sieve sieve, all your fault all your fault...) and after the goal has been announced:

(to the tune of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall";)
"Another goal for Moulson this year,
another goal for Moulson,
he fooled the sieve, and so we'll give
another goal to Moulson this year."

For Vesce, but since he'll be gone, the Abbotts too:

(sung to the tune of "Kelly" - it's in the movie Catch Me If You Can...just try it out aloud to yourself)

"Has anybody seen Vesce?
V-E-S-C-E, has anyone seen Vesce?
He'll win the draw, shoot and score,
Kick your ass right out the door,
Has anyone seen Vesce?"

(with Abbotts)

"Has anybody seen the Abbotts?
A-B-B-O-T-T, has anyone seen the Abbotts?
They'll win the draw, shoot and score,
Kick your ass right out the door,
Has anyone seen the Abbotts?"

For Hornby (easy to change later for younger player):

(obviously to the tune, "if you're happy and you know it";)

"If you're Hornby and you know it, shoot and score, ::clap clap::
If you're Hornby and you know it, shoot and score, ::clap clap::
If you're Hornby and you know and you really want to show it,
If you're Hornby and you know it, shoot and score." ::clap clap::

For McKee:

("hey mickey" can be begun by the band since it's short to chant)

"Hey McKee, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey McKee, hey McKee."

For Shane Hynes:

("Instant Karma" - John Lennon goes:
"We - all - shine - on, like the moon, and the stars, in the sky";)

"We - love - Shane - Hynes, like the moon, the stars, and that guy!" (point to Schafer)

For O'Byrne:

("Disco Inferno" - also a possible band-led chant)

"O'Byrne baby burn, Lynah inferno"

These next ones are much simpler:

With appropriate clapping:
When Cook slams someone against the boards, chant: "kiss the cook, kiss the cook."
When Bitz checks someone hard, chant: "Crushed to Bitz, crushed to Bitz"

It's rare to have a name as easy to use as McKee...what if we were to jingle keys when he is announced before the game, and when he makes great saves. I know the keys are used for "go start the car," but this is too good to pass up.

---------

Feedback =) We're wondering how to get these out...maybe The Red Line?

Post Edited (02-21-04 01:23)

Re: New Cheers
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:22AM

sounds awesome to me!

Posted by: Facetimer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:23AM

DUDE YOURE A FUCKING FAGGOTT

Posted by: PJS (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:23AM

WOW

Posted by: PJS (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:24AM

DUDE, THAT WAS PERHAPS THE GAYEST THING I HAVE EVER READ

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 06:19AM

I like the key idea for McKee. Maybe you shake the keys after a great save as well.

But complicated songs, while clever, generally won't catch on. You want to get the facetimers involved, and they won't go for complexity. You need something simple, concise and to the point. Maybe one line, with minimal changes to the original lyric. Like "Hey, Bâby" - they only changed the one line. But only the seriously hardcore know the revised Schaefer Beer song. And if you're using music, it's got to be something the band can get sheet music for.

JH

Posted by: Chips '03 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 10:57AM

You know, in every case except one (and that one failed) the music existed long before there was a crowd cheer or player associated with it.

This, dare I say, feel-good obsession about every goddamned player having their own cheer is annoying at best. If something works out readily, fine, but the monthly thread on "wouldn't it be cool if we sang X about Y while the band played Z" is dumb. Not to be a killjoy or a jackass, but I suggest giving up.

Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 12:05PM

The band recently obtained an arrangement of Disco Inferno, and it just sounds incredibly cheesy. Just because a player's name kind of fits with the lyrics of a song does not necessarily mean the song will be good as a cheer (and most of the time this is indeed the case). The real way to go about something like this is to find a decent song first and then try to work players' names into it. A good and easy to follow tune is the most important thing here - words can always be manipulated and added on later.

The one suggestion of yours I really did like, however, is the shaking of keys when McKee makes a great save, etc. I think that could really catch on and be impressive if enough people did it.

Posted by: cheers (---.bsk.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 12:10PM

What about having the Pep Band play the first few lines of "Deep in the Heart of Texas" -- followed simply by a crowd cheer of "McKee" at the end --- or some simple variation?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 01:22PM

Enough already. Chips '03 has it right. This "let's make up a song about XXX" has gone far enough. If it were easy, it would have been done already.

That said, it would be nice if the band tried a few new tunes.

JH

Posted by: dOwns (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 02:47PM

.. PJS go suck a butt..

Hah, some of these had me laughing outloud.. they're great...!!

I agree that some might not catch on.. but it's worth a try.. and goddammnn get some new pep-band songs at the games, PLEASE!!!!!

I remember I hear some Journey song at a game a while ago.. then never heard it again.. so i don't know where the hell it went..

The keys thing is a little wack but whatever floats your boat.:-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 04:42PM

oh bah humbug! Granted the cheers will probably never get done but don't kill creativity! Maybe I am just easily entertained but I enjoy reading this stuff.

Posted by: Zookey (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2004 05:26PM

how about this cheer, at the end of the game, winning or losing: "let's go drink. let's go drink. let's go drink......."

thoughts?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 05:44PM

Zookey wrote:

how about this cheer, at the end of the game, winning or losing: "let's go drink. let's go drink. let's go drink......."

thoughts?
I don't think it's new, but it's always an excellent plan! :-}

Posted by: Báby_Fan (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2004 06:21PM

I heard...

"let's get wasted" clap clap clapclapclap

during, I think, the Colgate home game in section A + B...

Posted by: Mike T. '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 11:34PM

for what it's worth, I thought these were pretty good...

[Q] Corny perhaps... [/Q]

yes. but solid ideas nonetheless.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login