Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

if we win....

Posted by melissa 
if we win....
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 12:31AM

where's the party tomorrow night? a RS title is definitely reason to celebrate! hope that we can pull off a win tomorow!

Re: if we win....
Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 10:52AM

I prefer not to jinx it by planning a venue. If we win, stick around after the game, a group of us often hangs back to make plans in Section C near Press Row.

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 02:46PM

I hope Melissa's a little more decisive than the rest of the group.

"Where should we go?"

"I dunno."

(Small talk occupies the next five minutes.)

"So, did we decide where to go?"

"Um...."

(Five more minutes.)

"So..."

Hey, I kid because I care. ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 09:17PM

Yeah, but the indecisiveness is useful when one needs to do things like retrieve posessions from the horse-brutality room.
;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.tnt2.beaverton.or.da.uu.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 01:40AM

> from the horse-brutality room.

I SO don't want to know... :-/

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:03PM

we decided on food. always good. and waited for sat and Dunbars to celebrate. last night's 2 titles (ok, we won RS on friday but the cleary cup was what made it real) was freakin awesome. absolutely love how the team stated weeks ago that they didn't care squat about the ivy title yet when the fact that they won it was announced last night they went crazy!!!! it was wicked!! LGR!

Titles
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 24, 2002 07:01PM

And watching on the webcam, everyone seemed a lot happier about winning the Ivy title than the ECAC RS. Presumably part of this is that the Ivy competition is over (aside from finding out whether we share it with Harvard) but the real ECAC title is yet to be won. (Although I thought Schafer's "I don't want this thing, get it away from me" reaction was a bit overboard, even if it does have the name of a nemesis on it.)

Re: Titles
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 07:15PM

I think there's a similar reaction in the NHL to the trophy for finishing with the highest number of points in the regular season. The real prize is Lord Stanley's shiny bowl and nobody wants to appear too happy about winning the other thing.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 10:47AM

This sentiment is reflected quite aptly in the banners hanging from Lynah's rafters. Plenty of Ivy Championship banners - not a single ECAC Regular Season Title banner.

Beeeej

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 26, 2002 10:57AM

of course, any such banner would be 28+ years old :)

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 26, 2002 11:39AM

Does the school have any intention of putting up an ECAC regular season banner? (Just curious, but patient. No need to answer this question until after the tournament. ;-) )

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: February 26, 2002 11:57AM

I can't imagine why they'd start now if they never put up banners for the first four RS titles we won.

And John - none of the banners are more than five years old.

Beeeej

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2002 11:57AM

They never have to this point. Can't imagine any reason they'd start now. Would want to look like Princeton or Yale who put up a banner every time they score a goal...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: February 26, 2002 01:05PM

Although we do have a banner for every time we made the NCAA tournament.

Date: February 26, 2002 01:08PM

> I can't imagine why they'd start now if they never put up banners for the first four RS titles we won.

That would be the previous five RS titles: [www.spiritone.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 01:15PM

Personally, I blame the Vicodin. nut

Beeeej

Date: February 26, 2002 01:52PM

Greg, I'm begging you to start using Threaded View, or at least clicking on "reply to this message" to give a break to those of us who do. All of your posts end up clustered at the bottom, disconnected from what they are responding to.

Date: February 26, 2002 02:53PM

It would be interesting to find out just when the term "regular season champion" came into being in the ECAC. I'm sure it didn't exist prior to the Hockey East divorce. There was no balanced schedule until after that occurred, so there'd be no way to declare a "champion." Teams played differing numbers of games against a different mix of ECAC opponents, and, in the '60s and '70s, even holiday tournament games against ECAC foes were included in determining the winning percentages used for tournament seedings.

Speaking only to my experiences, I don't recall anyone using such a term until the NCAA began giving an automatic bid to the "regular season champions" of the four leagues in the '90s (the unfortunate "Colorado rule";). Claiming to have won a "regular season championship" prior to the divorce would be downright meaningless. No one at the time would have given it a thought. Claiming such a thing after the fact would be nonsense.

While the trophy was given the name "William J. Cleary Cup" this year, I seem to recall some people posting (on the Round Table, I believe, where they think this is important) that a trophy (same one without the Cleary name?) had been presented to the top seed during the mid-to-late '90s.

I'd welcome any insights from other "veterans" here.

Date: February 26, 2002 03:07PM

The RS champion can at least be unambiguously defined as the #1 seed in the playoffs, though, right?

Date: February 26, 2002 03:13PM

I think you can say that for 40 years there has been an unambiguous top seed for the ECAC tournament. I think calling anyone a "regular season champion" prior to the divorce just makes no sense, given the uneven scheduling.

What I can't say is when the ECAC began recognizing the top seed as a "regular season champion."

Date: February 26, 2002 03:20PM

Sorta like designating the team that gets the top seed in the NCAAs the "NCAA Regular Season Champion"?

Date: February 26, 2002 03:42PM

To me it's interesting that in no other sport (at least that I'm aware of) has the NCAA given two automatic tournament bids to a league or conference, as they did with hockey for eight or nine years.

There was a time--in the deep, dark age of my youth--when only one team from a league could be invited. This made for interesting post-season tournaments--for example, only the ACC basketball tournament champ could go to the dance. Sorta the ultimate implementation of Keith's scenario.B-]

Date: February 26, 2002 04:03PM

Of course hockey had only 4 significant conferences, so it was possible to give out up to 2 autobids without any real jeopardy of keeping out a team that "deserved" to be in the tournament any more than, say, Colorado College. With the addition of CHA and the MAAC (and the gulp decline of the ECAC) guaranteeing up to 2 autobids is as untenable in hockey as it is in basketball.

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 04:14PM

I would absolutely love it if they make the tournament open only to teams that won their conference title. But that would mean fewer teams and less money so it'll never happen.

Date: February 26, 2002 07:53PM

I'll reply to message, just for you.

I won't use threaded view -- it makes reading through the thread way, way too much work.

Posted by: nshapiro (146.145.226.---)
Date: February 27, 2002 09:30AM

I agree that the threaded view is a pain....I only wish that the
[Red] (new) [/Red] indicator showed up next to each message in the
flat view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login