Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Dartmouth, 1/27

Posted by Iceberg 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell at Dartmouth, 1/27
Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.219.---)
Date: January 27, 2024 04:38PM

Dartmouth hasn't won too many games since the end of the winter break and lost in OT yesterday. The game is in Hanover, though, so it'll probably be closer than it needs to be
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 04:39PM by Iceberg.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth, 1/27
Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-48.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 05:27PM

Iceberg
Dartmouth hasn't won too many games since the end of the winter break and lost in OT yesterday. The game is in Hanover, though, so it'll probably be closer than it needs to be

I always find Hanover closer than it needs to be.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:00PM

Iceberg
They took Colgate to overtime last night.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:10PM

I forgot they shoot the Thompson games from Mars.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:12PM

marty
Iceberg
I always find Hanover closer than it needs to be.
And farther than any Cornell teams wants to be if it it loses in Hanover and faces that glum 5-1/2 ride home. Another reason to bring home a W. We had to many men's hockey Ls at Dartmouth the last decade or so. Too bad there isn't a Cornell-operated Far Above 737 Max to speed up transportation. Giving new meaning to "We want to beat Dartmouth if it's the last thing we do."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:17PM

Dartmouth's aggressive forecheck causing problems.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:31PM

No offense, Dartmouth, but: It's 7 pm. Your house not ours. There appear to be more people warming up on the ice than sitting in the stands.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:35PM

We couldn't get out of our end for much of that period. Shots 10-4 and I am quite happy to still be scoreless. Some attitude adjustment going on in the lockerroom right now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 07:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-241.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:35PM

Trap game trap game trap game.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:38PM

billhoward
No offense, Dartmouth, but: It's 7 pm. Your house not ours.
Hard to recall now, but back when we were crushing Dartmouth every game in the mid 80s it was not unusual for us to dominate Thompson, and we only brought about 200 traveling / area fans. There were games where I did not see any Dartmouth student fans except the GFs.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 07:40PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:39PM

billhoward
No offense, Dartmouth, but: It's 7 pm. Your house not ours. There appear to be more people warming up on the ice than sitting in the stands.

At least their band is there. That rink never really fills up unless it's the one game against Princeton where students throw tennis balls on the ice

Date: January 27, 2024 07:44PM

Clarkson behind 2-0 at Appleton.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:56PM

As someone who has never played hockey, how important is it to have defensive pairings with a lefty on the left and a righty on the right? I notice that most, if not all of our d pairings are that way and I was wondering whether that’s just something that is nice to do if it works out or if it is so important that we might specifically try to recruit a lefty d man just so we can have one in each pairing.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 08:05PM

chimpfood
As someone who has never played hockey, how important is it to have defensive pairings with a lefty on the left and a righty on the right? I notice that most, if not all of our d pairings are that way and I was wondering whether that’s just something that is nice to do if it works out or if it is so important that we might specifically try to recruit a lefty d man just so we can have one in each pairing.
I think Cornell specifically recruits for it.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:05PM

Harvard 3 unanswered to go up on Colgate 3-2.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:07PM

Dorfman will never not be funny.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:30PM

Big to get that back before the period ended but we gotta get it together.

Posted by: Sperris (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 08:46PM

I had a great time watching last night's game. There was some great team play but most of the game we were inconsistent.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:54PM

Thank you Jack O'Leary.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 08:55PM

we're playing like we expect them to be afraid of us and they are attacking attacking attacking and it has us off-kilter. this 4x4 is when we should really take it to them.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:56PM

Dartmouth classic case of no fucks to give.

Date: January 27, 2024 08:58PM

Oof. That was a hard hit.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:00PM

so much for that. back to the useless umbrella. dartmouth feels totally free to go after the skaters on the perimeter because they never leave formation to press the defense. they just tap it back and forth until they lose possession.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:04PM

Thank you Jack O'Leary, again.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-240.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 09:04PM

ugarte
so much for that. back to the useless umbrella. dartmouth feels totally free to go after the skaters on the perimeter because they never leave formation to press the defense. they just tap it back and forth until they lose possession.

My bad. After about a minute, I thought "gee, our power play looks a lot better."

Then we spent the last minute nothing but umbrella.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:05PM

"Towelie"?

Date: January 27, 2024 09:19PM

Dafatone
ugarte

My bad. After about a minute, I thought "gee, our power play looks a lot better."

As we all know, when Cornell doesn’t see anything on the PP, they pass it around the point repeatedly until they either turn the puck over or the PP expires. They don’t ever shoot the puck on net. Zero percent of the time do they just shoot instead of passing it around the outside.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:20PM

We pick up ground on both Clarkson and Colgate. Question is: 1 point or 2?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-240.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 09:25PM

BearLover
Dafatone
ugarte

As we all know, when Cornell doesn’t see anything on the PP, they pass it around the point repeatedly until they either turn the puck over or the PP expires. They don’t ever shoot the puck on net. Zero percent of the time do they just shoot instead of passing it around the outside.

I'm okay with the not shooting. Bouncing a shot off a defender's ankles and out of the zone doesn't work.

But they gotta get the puck down low and skate it behind the net or otherwise shake things up.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:35PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone
ugarte

I'm okay with the not shooting. Bouncing a shot off a defender's ankles and out of the zone doesn't work.

But they gotta get the puck down low and skate it behind the net or otherwise shake things up.
Well, yeah, that would be good too. But Cornell does try that some portion of the time, maybe 10%. And the puck is turned over shortly thereafter. I.e. if Cornell has the puck at the blue line on the PP, it’s never getting shot on net, and rarely getting passed or skated down low—and when it does, it basically never works.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:35PM

It's too bad that puck bounced on Mack in the OT because there was a lot of open net after that rebound

Date: January 27, 2024 09:37PM

Is it a trap game when it happens every time?

Date: January 27, 2024 09:40PM

Cornell’s breakout was abominably bad tonight. As a result, they badly lost the possession battle and the hockey gods gave them what they deserved in OT/shootout. The PP troubles never improve so there’s not much more to say about that. (Robertson’s PP goal was 4x3 with a bunch of open ice so that doesn’t really count—notably, though, it came off a shot that never made it to the net—something Cornell is deathly afraid of ever happening on a 5x4 PP.)

Date: January 27, 2024 09:42PM

Just when I thought we were getting over our tendency to give away games to bad teams.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 09:43PM

When we had the one bit of possession in OT, their skater backed into his own net and dislodged it with no push from a Cornell skater. Shouldn't that be a delay penalty?

Date: January 27, 2024 09:44PM

Appears that the pwr is not changed.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:50PM

arugula
Cornell lost RPI in the PWR. Because it was in OT and on the road, it wasn’t as bad as it otherwise would have been against the 44th ranked team. But we dropped from ~.5528 to .5500, meaning we are closer to 16, and farther from 14, than we were when the night began.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2024 10:13PM by BearLover.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:54PM

What a depressing finish, to wit being outshot in regulation and still be one lucky shot away from a 3-2 regulation win, then getting out-possessioned in the 3x3 OT then losing the shootout without getting even one goal. Some of the Cornell hockey good karma got siphoned into the Cornell basketball karma and that 16-point win over Princeton.

All that matters is we get enough points in the ECAC to finish 2 or 3, avoid Quinnipiac in the ECAC semis (assuming no collapse in the QFs), then hope for a strong game in the final and if not hope for a second ECAC bid.

Date: January 27, 2024 09:58PM

nshapiro
When we had the one bit of possession in OT, their skater backed into his own net and dislodged it with no push from a Cornell skater. Shouldn't that be a delay penalty?
If the ref thought he backed or slid in as part of getting close to the net, then it's no penalty. And a penalty call also makes Cornell a likely winner with a 4x3 if called, so the refs saw nothing callable.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:06PM

nshapiro
If Mack buried it, it would have been before the dislodging. Once he duffed it, it didn't matter since we weren't really in possession to do anything.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:07PM

BearLover
arugula
Cornell lost RPI in the PWR. Because it was in OT and on the road, it wasn’t as bad as it otherwise would have been against the 44th ranked team. But we dropped from ~.5528 to .5500, meaning we are close to 16, and farther from 14, than we were when the night began.

Right. I see that now. Could’ve been worse I guess.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:13PM

ugarte
nshapiro
If Mack buried it, it would have been before the dislodging. Once he duffed it, it didn't matter since we weren't really in possession to do anything.
He didn't duff it, it was bouncing. He actually managed to get stick on it and deflect towards the net; just not enough.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 27, 2024 10:26PM

Cornell really played 1 great period yesterday and 5 blah ones after that.

Date: January 27, 2024 10:58PM

honestly the 3x0 that went between Tim Rego's legs is the one i'm going to be seeing in my nightmares for a while

Date: January 27, 2024 11:28PM

ugarte
honestly the 3x0 that went between Tim Rego's legs is the one i'm going to be seeing in my nightmares for a while
And the one on Ondrej that Big Foot somehow got over and got his skate against the left post.

Posted by: pjd8 (---.sub-75-253-79.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 12:04AM

A late refresh of PWR has Cornell at 15 with an RPI of .5498 and UNH at 16 with an RPI of .5489. These schools have the two best goalies in the nation, and they both are capable of playing above their ranking when playing a good team and below their ranking when playing a poor one. They both promise to make the late regular season interesting.

I'll get to see the Wildcats take on BU and Merrimack next weekend at the Whit. I expect UNH to split the weekend, but I'm not laying down money on which game they will win. The same can go for Cornell.

And if any of you have contact info for Mike Machnick, please let me know. I'd love to finally meet him in person on Saturday.

Date: January 28, 2024 12:54AM

how did we get outshot by dartmouth what the fuck i'm still mad about this game

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 28, 2024 12:59AM

ugarte
how did we get outshot by dartmouth what the fuck i'm still mad about this game

The defense babied the puck in the defensive zone all night and just about any Dartmouth forecheck could have their way anytime.

Why is it always Dartmouth. Seems like it’s over 20 years with this dark bugaboo they have on us.

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 01:19AM

Because they are travel partners with Harvard, we are wired to always be a little less up for them or have a little less energy. Them’s the breaks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 01:20AM by shafer.

Date: January 28, 2024 09:57AM

pjd8
And if any of you have contact info for Mike Machnick, please let me know. I'd love to finally meet him in person on Saturday.
That takes me back. He and the guy from Maine who has sadly passed were the OGs of hockey-l.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:00AM

billhoward
What a depressing finish, to wit being outshot in regulation and still be one lucky shot away from a 3-2 regulation win, then getting out-possessioned in the 3x3 OT then losing the shootout without getting even one goal.

The 3 on 3 OT needs to go! It’s an aberration! I don’t recall ever seeing a 3 on 3 in the course of a hockey game. Puck possession becomes the key. Worse yet, for an inferior team, just possess the puck and settle for a tie. With so much open ice, it’s relatively easy to do.

Except for tournaments, what’s wrong with a tie? Go to, say, a 10 minute sudden-death OT, if no one scores, it’s a tie. You win it’s two points, you tie one point.

And the shootout is totally pointless. It’s one thing in soccer where most games seem to end nil-nil in regulation, but not hockey.

I’m curious, prior to this silliness, what percent of regular season games ended in a tie?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 11:00AM by George64.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 01:55PM

George64
billhoward
What a depressing finish, to wit being outshot in regulation and still be one lucky shot away from a 3-2 regulation win, then getting out-possessioned in the 3x3 OT then losing the shootout without getting even one goal.

The 3 on 3 OT needs to go! It’s an aberration! I don’t recall ever seeing a 3 on 3 in the course of a hockey game. Puck possession becomes the key. Worse yet, for an inferior team, just possess the puck and settle for a tie. With so much open ice, it’s relatively easy to do.

Except for tournaments, what’s wrong with a tie? Go to, say, a 10 minute sudden-death OT, if no one scores, it’s a tie. You win it’s two points, you tie one point.

And the shootout is totally pointless. It’s one thing in soccer where most games seem to end nil-nil in regulation, but not hockey.

I’m curious, prior to this silliness, what percent of regular season games ended in a tie?

There used to be 3 on 3 a long time ago. During offsetting minors both players sat and they played 4 on 4. If two sets of offsetting minors happened, they played 3 on 3. However, Edmonton was so good at scoring 3 on 3 that the NHL eliminated it by continuing to play 5 on 5 for offsetting minors Some people nicknamed the change "The Gretzky Rule." Eventually the NCAA followed suit.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 02:05PM

George64
billhoward

I don't like 3 on 3 either. It feels like a different sport. Especially sudden death.

A 3 on 3 league would be fun, but sudden death just turns into possession focused hockey and gets surprisingly slow.

Date: January 28, 2024 02:51PM

George64

I still hope someone can answer my question, but in the meantime, in the Lynah Rink era, Cornell has gone 1133-643-149, so only 7.74 percent of all games have resulted in ties. These data, however, include post-season playoffs, so the regular season percentage should be somewhat higher. On the other hand, it includes games since tie-breaking inanity was instituted, which would reduce the tie percentage a bit. In a 29 game regular season, we should expect about two ties a year, not a BFD. This may vary for other teams.

Date: January 28, 2024 03:27PM

3x3 and shootouts are shit, but this is the path the NHL has chosen, and so it is the path the NC$$ will follow.

Make me dictator. I will end RS games after regulation, no overtime, and play tourny games 5x5 with 20 min periods until somebody scores, the end.

Posted by: SotaFaithful (209.237.126.---)
Date: January 28, 2024 07:46PM

Holy crap, this forum is still active? Super cool!

Date: January 28, 2024 10:24PM

Dafatone
George64
billhoward

I don't like 3 on 3 either. It feels like a different sport. Especially sudden death.

A 3 on 3 league would be fun, but sudden death just turns into possession focused hockey and gets surprisingly slow.
Do you guys watch much NHL? 3x3 OT is still really fast paced and exciting in the NHL. In college it’s a little slower, but there are still many more great scoring chances per minute than in regulation. Frankly, it’s very exciting for the casual fan, and it’s still exciting for the jaded enfranchised fan like me as well. The same goes for shootouts, though to a lesser degree.

3x3 OT and shootouts add so much excitement to a game that otherwise would have ended in a tie that I think they are rightfully here to stay. To me, the interesting question is how to weight them because they’re so much different from the rest of a hockey game. Not using either 3x3 or shootouts in the playoffs, and weighting shootouts as nothing for the PWR and as just a point in the standings, is perfect. The 65/35 PWR split for 3x3 win vs. loss is a little too great in my view—I’d rather they go back to 55/45 or do 60/40—but it’s okay.

Really, the key point is that the significant majority of fans find these post-regulation gimmicks very exciting, and they have a muted effect on a team’s success, so in my book I’m fine with the reality that they aren’t going away.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 10:51PM

BearLover
Dafatone
George64
billhoward

Do you guys watch much NHL? 3x3 OT is still really fast paced and exciting in the NHL. In college it’s a little slower, but there are still many more great scoring chances per minute than in regulation. Frankly, it’s very exciting for the casual fan, and it’s still exciting for the jaded enfranchised fan like me as well. The same goes for shootouts, though to a lesser degree.

3x3 OT and shootouts add so much excitement to a game that otherwise would have ended in a tie that I think they are rightfully here to stay. To me, the interesting question is how to weight them because they’re so much different from the rest of a hockey game. Not using either 3x3 or shootouts in the playoffs, and weighting shootouts as nothing for the PWR and as just a point in the standings, is perfect. The 65/35 PWR split for 3x3 win vs. loss is a little too great in my view—I’d rather they go back to 55/45 or do 60/40—but it’s okay.

Really, the key point is that the significant majority of fans find these post-regulation gimmicks very exciting, and they have a muted effect on a team’s success, so in my book I’m fine with the reality that they aren’t going away.

I'm the rare weirdo that dislikes 3x3 in the NHL, but I get that most people like it. I didn't realize they went to 65/35 OT for the pairwise, though. I'm with you that I'd prefer it a little less steep.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2024 09:49AM

BearLover
arugula
Cornell lost RPI in the PWR. Because it was in OT and on the road, it wasn’t as bad as it otherwise would have been against the 44th ranked team. But we dropped from ~.5528 to .5500, meaning we are closer to 16, and farther from 14, than we were when the night began.

A drop is a drop - though it came from SOS, not from the result itself. Since the tie on the road is worth .6000. If you win, you're not allowed to drop from it - so if you do, the result is discarded.

Date: January 29, 2024 09:52AM

BearLover

Just for the record - it's 2/3 and 1/3 split .... so .6666666666666666666/.33333333333333333

Date: January 29, 2024 09:57AM

adamw
BearLover
arugula

A drop is a drop - though it came from SOS, not from the result itself. Since the tie on the road is worth .6000. If you win, you're not allowed to drop from it - so if you do, the result is discarded.
Wait, I’m confused—are you saying that there is a rule that a team cannot lose RPI from a tie on the road? If BC tied Stonehill on the road, their RPI/PWR would be unaffected?

Date: January 29, 2024 03:38PM

BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

Wait, I’m confused—are you saying that there is a rule that a team cannot lose RPI from a tie on the road? If BC tied Stonehill on the road, their RPI/PWR would be unaffected?

I said the opposite ... I said if you win you're not allowed to drop from it.

Cornell dropped - but it didn't come from its own Win% - which for the game, is .600. It came from its SOS (i.e. opp win%, and opp-opp win%).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2024 03:39PM by adamw.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-245.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2024 04:10PM

adamw
BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

Cornell dropped - but it didn't come from its own Win% - which for the game, is .600. It came from its SOS (i.e. opp win%, and opp-opp win%).
Cornell tied, though—it didn’t win. So I don’t really understand the distinction you’re making.

Posted by: Mr. Niss (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2024 05:27PM

Trotsky
3x3 and shootouts are shit, but this is the path the NHL has chosen, and so it is the path the NC$$ will follow.

Make me dictator. I will end RS games after regulation, no overtime, and play tourny games 5x5 with 20 min periods until somebody scores, the end.

Totally agree about the 3x3. It makes sense in the NHL, where the goal is entertaining the fans and an extra point here or there isn't a huge deal. Each NCAA game is so much more important. Having games decided by 3x3 OT, with a result that counts the same or similar to a win in regular time, is ludicrous.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2024 09:33PM

adamw
BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

The drop, in part, did come from Cornell's win percentage. Adding 6/10 of a win and 4/10 of a loss to Cornell's win percentage prior to the game would drop the win % for any team over .600 in winning percentage.

Date: January 29, 2024 10:09PM

jkahn
adamw
BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

The drop, in part, did come from Cornell's win percentage. Adding 6/10 of a win and 4/10 of a loss to Cornell's win percentage prior to the game would drop the win % for any team over .600 in winning percentage.
adamw seems to be claiming that this drop was erased per a PWR rule that negates any drop a team would receive from a “bad win.” But Cornell didn’t win, it tied, so even if that were the rule, I don’t understand why it’s relevant here.

Date: January 29, 2024 10:29PM

Yeah, ties can definitely bring your rpi down, what I’m not sure about and would love to know is whether or not OT wins can bring rpi down and wether you get less of the quality win bonus for an OT win and if you get any portion of a quality win bonus for a tie.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2024 10:35PM by chimpfood.

Posted by: sah67 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2024 11:55AM

BearLover

I've actually seen a lot of commentary from NHL fans/journalists this season regarding how many teams have figured out how to make 3-on-3 OT "boring"/less risky by having their skaters (with the puck) cycle back repeatedly through the neutral zone and into their own zone until they can find the "perfect" entry. You'll frequently hear a loud chorus of boos from the crowd when the visiting team employs this strategy in OT.

There have been some rumors that some team owners and league management want to discuss the potential introduction of a delay-of-game penalty in OT (in future seasons) for crossing back over the red line once you've entered the attacking neutral zone with the puck, a la a "backcourt" violation in basketball.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2024 11:56AM by sah67.

Date: January 30, 2024 12:36PM

i was going to say the same - teams are content to take a 3x3 tie and play a very risk averse possession game. it's like watching the cornell powerplay.

Date: January 30, 2024 12:43PM

sah67
BearLover

I've actually seen a lot of commentary from NHL fans/journalists this season regarding how many teams have figured out how to make 3-on-3 OT "boring"/less risky by having their skaters (with the puck) cycle back repeatedly through the neutral zone and into their own zone until they can find the "perfect" entry. You'll frequently hear a loud chorus of boos from the crowd when the visiting team employs this strategy in OT.

There have been some rumors that some team owners and league management want to discuss the potential introduction of a delay-of-game penalty in OT (in future seasons) for crossing back over the red line once you've entered the attacking neutral zone with the puck, a la a "backcourt" violation in basketball.
I mostly watch the Rangers and Devils, both of whom have so much skill that the 3x3 OTs never play out the way you describe. It may be different with other teams, but with the Rangers/Devils it’s almost entirely end to end action. 3x3 OT is can’t-miss action for the Devils in particular.

Date: January 30, 2024 02:25PM

BearLover
sah67
BearLover

I mostly watch the Rangers and Devils, both of whom have so much skill that the 3x3 OTs never play out the way you describe. It may be different with other teams, but with the Rangers/Devils it’s almost entirely end to end action. 3x3 OT is can’t-miss action for the Devils in particular.
May be "can't miss action" (so was roller derby) but it isn't hockey.

Date: January 30, 2024 03:39PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
sah67
BearLover

May be "can't miss action" (so was roller derby) but it isn't hockey.
Hockey players skating, passing, and shooting is something that I would refer to as hockey. Except there’s way less congestion, fewer play stoppages, no more neutral zone traps, fewer cheap goals off of weird bounces and deflections, and way more scoring opportunities than 5x5. It’s a faster and more exciting form of hockey, in small doses.

Date: January 30, 2024 04:40PM

Is it a different game? for sure.

But its still hockey because it can and does happen in the real game even if in very limited situations.

Like Bball when a game is played 5x3.. not fun to watch and doesn't happen that often, but it does.

Date: January 30, 2024 06:00PM

upprdeck

But its still hockey because it can and does happen in the real game even if in very limited situations.

Like Bball when a game is played 5x3.. not fun to watch and doesn't happen that often, but it does.
It happened in a real game for a reason: actual called penalties. It happens in overtime because some assholes decided to do it that way, perhaps to appeal to those who think beach volleyball is a real sport, not a skin show.

[What is 5x3 basketball?]

Date: January 30, 2024 07:57PM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck

It happened in a real game for a reason: actual called penalties. It happens in overtime because some assholes decided to do it that way, perhaps to appeal to those who think beach volleyball is a real sport, not a skin show.

[What is 5x3 basketball?]

5x3 is better than 5x2.. no rule that basketball is played 5x5.

Posted by: Roy 82 (136.226.19.---)
Date: January 30, 2024 10:56PM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck

...perhaps to appeal to those who think beach volleyball is a real sport, not a skin show....

I'm guessing you are not very familiar with competitive beach volleyball. "Uniforms" aside, the game requires a high degree of athleticism and skill - not to mention size. And you might also be surprised at the range of uniforms that teams choose to wear.
[www.cbc.ca]

Enjoy.

Date: January 31, 2024 04:31AM

Roy 82
Al DeFlorio
upprdeck

...perhaps to appeal to those who think beach volleyball is a real sport, not a skin show....

I'm guessing you are not very familiar with competitive beach volleyball. "Uniforms" aside, the game requires a high degree of athleticism and skill - not to mention size. And you might also be surprised at the range of uniforms that teams choose to wear.
[www.cbc.ca]

Enjoy.
I'm knowing you are wrong. Of course, it takes skill and athleticism. So does ballroom dancing. So did roller derby.

Date: January 31, 2024 09:50AM

So did roller derby.

Alive and well.

I was privileged to see flat track roller derby in Tucson. Those women are outstanding, and the culture is boisterous and rebellious and delightful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2024 09:54AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2024 09:55AM

roller derby is in the mall about once a month.. They sell tickets so there must be some audience for it.

Date: January 31, 2024 10:07AM

upprdeck
roller derby is in the mall about once a month.. They sell tickets so there must be some audience for it.

There's a strong core culture which is similar to Riot Grrrl. The crowd was part looky-loo tourist (our money's good too), part true believers on a mission, part women just settling into working but derby curious. It went all the way up and down the spectrum from kids running around (my god is derby the perfect adult version of kids' natural play) to grandmas. Lots of multi-generation families. One of the few places that still exist with working class and Eloi side by side. Dominant chord: laughter. It was wonderful.

Date: January 31, 2024 10:20AM

Dafatone
George64
billhoward

BTW, I have no objection to 3 x 3 exhibition hockey, especially when it involves Cornell alumna.

[www.thepwhl.com]

?cxt=HBwWwsOzmfjG4tEwAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

Date: January 31, 2024 10:44AM

Trotsky
[/url]

So did roller derby.

Alive and well.

I was privileged to see flat track roller derby in Tucson. Those women are outstanding, and the culture is boisterous and rebellious and delightful.

If you’re in Ithaca when we’re playing in the quarter-final NCAA men’s hockey game on March 16, you can catch the Ithaca SufferJets in the late afternoon. Tickets still available.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2024 11:52AM by George64.

Date: January 31, 2024 10:57PM

Nothing is more sacred than beating Harvard at Lynah East. Which we did nicely. Yet, posts bitching about the loss next night to Dartmouth (and some thread drift) outnumber the Harvard posts 82-77. We love to complain.

Date: January 31, 2024 10:58PM

billhoward
Nothing is more sacred than beating Harvard at Lynah East. Which we did nicely. Yet, posts bitching about the loss next night to Dartmouth (and some thread drift) outnumber the Harvard posts 82-77. We love to complain.
We just love to make the national tournament, which we made a lot harder by playing down to Dartmouth’s level.

Date: January 31, 2024 11:05PM

billhoward
Nothing is more sacred than beating Harvard at Lynah East.

Beating Harvard at Lynah is.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2024 11:06PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 31, 2024 11:19PM

billhoward
not exactly a year to get hype about beating harvard. they stink! so does dartmouth and we lost! it kind of explains itself.

Date: January 31, 2024 11:28PM

ugarte
billhoward
not exactly a year to get hype about beating harvard. they stink! so does dartmouth and we lost! it kind of explains itself.

"It is never the wrong time to beat Harvard." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2024 12:24PM

Loss aversion bias. It explains everything all the time.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-212.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2024 12:56PM

I'm kinda stuck here, because on one hand I tend to be relatively optimistic, but on the other hand I somehow hate Dartmouth more than Harvard.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-247.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2024 02:18PM

chimpfood
billhoward
We just love to make the national tournament, which we made a lot harder by playing down to Dartmouth’s level.
Yes, this is the obvious answer. We want Cornell to make the NCAAs, which requires winning the vast majority of our remaining games. Therefore, a loss is a lot more momentous than a win.

Date: February 01, 2024 02:56PM

Honestly I don't really GAF about the NC$$s right now. Beat Harvard, fill the building, win the Ivies, win the ECACs. Then the NC$$s is the trip to Disneyland at the end.

But don't crucify the entire season on PWR. It substitutes the map for the territory. Get your head out of the porn and go talk to the plain girl at the end of the bar.

Date: February 01, 2024 04:12PM

Trotsky
Honestly I don't really GAF about the NC$$s right now. Beat Harvard, fill the building, win the Ivies, win the ECACs. Then the NC$$s is the trip to Disneyland at the end.

But don't crucify the entire season on PWR. It substitutes the map for the territory. Get your head out of the porn and go talk to the plain girl at the end of the bar.
my man, we just tied/lost to Dartmouth which jeopardizes half of your goals! you are picking the wrong time to grind this particular axe.

Date: February 01, 2024 05:56PM

Dafatone
I'm kinda stuck here, because on one hand I tend to be relatively optimistic, but on the other hand I somehow hate Dartmouth more than Harvard.

I always found the games against Dartmouth to be contentious affairs and often more exciting that the games against Harvard the night before or after. With Gaudet behind the bench, you would figure some kind of shenanigans would happen either behind the bench or on the ice.

Someone made a point about Dartmouth being more of an issue because they're travel partners with Harvard. Was this an issue with Brown under the old travel partner arrangement that existed before UVM jumped to Hockey East? Was the Dartmouth/Vermont road trip notoriously difficult?

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2024 06:06PM

Iceberg
Dafatone

I always found the games against Dartmouth to be contentious affairs and often more exciting that the games against Harvard the night before or after. With Gaudet behind the bench, you would figure some kind of shenanigans would happen either behind the bench or on the ice.

Someone made a point about Dartmouth being more of an issue because they're travel partners with Harvard. Was this an issue with Brown under the old travel partner arrangement that existed before UVM jumped to Hockey East? Was the Dartmouth/Vermont road trip notoriously difficult?
I am pretty sure that the point was Hahvahd travel partner was always a trap game after (or before) the big game against the big rival.

Date: February 01, 2024 08:48PM

ugarte
Trotsky

my man, we just tied/lost to Dartmouth which jeopardizes half of your goals! you are picking the wrong time to grind this particular axe.
We just beat Harvard which advances them all.

So, no. It's a fine time.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2024 09:42PM

nshapiro
Iceberg
Dafatone

I am pretty sure that the point was Hahvahd travel partner was always a trap game after (or before) the big game against the big rival.

I also think the trip is the longest in the ECAC schedule. (Yale/Brown is probably 2nd place. Q & P may be more miles, but Ithaca is closer.) Doing this trip by bus & then playing 2 very tough games must be grueling and take its toll on the team's performance.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.162.---)
Date: February 02, 2024 12:53PM

Dafatone
That’s a different kind of hate, though.

To illustrate the difference: Yes, I hate both Harvard and Quinnipiac. But the ideal ECAC season ends with Cornell at 22-0 in the RS and 4-0 in the playoffs, with Harvard at 20–2/3-1 and Quinnipiac at 0-22/0-2. I’m fine if you want to slot Dartmouth in at 2-20/0-2.

Date: February 02, 2024 02:10PM

Robb
To illustrate the difference: Yes, I hate both Harvard and Quinnipiac. But the ideal ECAC season ends with Cornell at 22-0 in the RS and 4-0 in the playoffs, with Harvard at 20–2/3-1 and Quinnipiac at 0-22/0-2. I’m fine if you want to slot Dartmouth in at 2-20/0-2.

This is perfectly said. Harvard is Worthy Opponent. Quinnipiac is Rectal Pain.

Posted by: adamw (130.253.28.---)
Date: February 02, 2024 10:45PM

jkahn
adamw
BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

Cornell's RPI was below .600 -- that was the point there.

Posted by: adamw (130.253.28.---)
Date: February 02, 2024 10:49PM

BearLover
jkahn
adamw
BearLover
adamw
BearLover
arugula

adamw seems to be claiming that this drop was erased per a PWR rule that negates any drop a team would receive from a “bad win.” But Cornell didn’t win, it tied, so even if that were the rule, I don’t understand why it’s relevant here.

That isn't what I said, in any way, shape or form ...

I never said this drop was erased -- whatsoever.

I'm well aware they tied.

I'm not sure what you're not understanding - so it's hard to explain any further.

Cornell's RPI for the game was .600 -- not withstanding SOS factors. ... .600 is higher than their RPI going into the game -- THUS -- if they dropped in RPI, it was due to the SOS portions of their RPI. Not the tie itself.

Had they won and dropped - THEN the entire result gets thrown out. That is not the case here.

Not sure how much clearer I can make this.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login