Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Colgate, 12/01/2023

Posted by Dunc 
Cornell @ Colgate, 12/01/2023
Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: December 01, 2023 06:40PM

Lines for tonight:

Re: Cornell @ Colgate, 12/01/2023
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2023 07:03PM

Colgate with just 5 D-men tonight.

Date: December 01, 2023 07:09PM

Scoring on our first SOG. Is nice.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: December 01, 2023 07:32PM

It's the Ithacans against the Hamiltonians according to the Colgate announcer, who is full of stats and doing a good job.

Date: December 01, 2023 07:51PM

Stream starts P2 jittery.

Date: December 01, 2023 07:56PM

Harvard down 0-2 at Cheel.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 08:05PM

Trotsky
Stream starts P2 jittery.

Was wondering if it was just me. The players freeze every 2 seconds and then become the fastest players in hockey history for the next 2 seconds.

Date: December 01, 2023 08:17PM

3-1, but the even up calls begin, as we have 4 power plays to give back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 08:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ACM (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 08:27PM

This is in the running for the worst-produced video of the year.

Date: December 01, 2023 08:41PM

Seger is 14-3 on face offs!

Date: December 01, 2023 08:42PM

ACM
They lost the choppiness, though. Apparently that's only on the long change.

Date: December 01, 2023 08:46PM

Pretty save, Ian.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 08:52PM

Trotsky
Pretty save, Ian.
Kind of impressed that the announcer described it as "Scrivens-esque"

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2023 08:53PM

Refs fail to call a clear interference penalty and a Colgate goal happens right after because of course.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 08:54PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 01, 2023 08:55PM

Iceberg
Refs fail to call a clear interference penalty and a Colgate goal happens right after because of course.
We are still digging out from being ahead on power plays 5-1.

Date: December 01, 2023 08:57PM

Every time I hear that name I think of Bad Mitten from Big Mouth.

Date: December 01, 2023 09:00PM

Poor Sully, so close.

Date: December 01, 2023 09:04PM

Psenicka and Desantis with good games tonight, nice to see.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 09:04PM

Ditto (Sully again)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 09:05PM by Give My Regards.

Date: December 01, 2023 09:07PM

"The Swedish Superman."

Date: December 01, 2023 09:24PM

We inch up to 20 in PWR.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2023 09:58PM

ACM
The audio levels were lower than other streaming channels I jumped to between periods. Had to catch up on the travails of Santos and the former President.
How many times can one announcer say "takes the puck down Broadway"? And yet no shoutout for the Naked Cowboy.
Color man was the dark, silent type. Very silent, all game long. Colgate: You can't find a former player, a student with Newhouse School aspirations, somebody who'll offer some insights like "that was some kinda play"?
It was a W. Unlike last year's OT loss in the new rink.

Date: December 01, 2023 10:04PM

billhoward
The audio levels were lower than other streaming channels I jumped to between periods

They've been low all season but this time is was really noticeable, and I nearly blew out my ears when I switched back to other audio.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2023 10:11PM

billhoward

Color man was the dark, silent type. Very silent, all game long. Colgate: You can't find a former player, a student with Newhouse School aspirations, somebody who'll offer some insights like "that was some kinda play"?

Has he ever had a color commentator? In all the games I've listened to him, I can't recall if there ever has been one on the Colgate broadcast

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2023 10:18PM

Sullivan Mack reminds me of Kyle Betts. A forward who is reliable on defense and the penalty kill, smart and always knows where to be on the ice…but can never bury his chances.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 10:22PM

Trotsky
We inch up to 20 in PWR.

Duluth up 4-2 with 1:03 left over ONO which is 16 in the pairwise.

Date: December 01, 2023 10:24PM

marty
Trotsky
We inch up to 20 in PWR.

Yeah, that result would help us in multiple ways.

The ECAC is so bad this year that Cornell cannot afford many more losses.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: December 01, 2023 11:34PM

Up to 17. How did we lose to Harvard, Princeton, and tie Dartmouth?

Date: December 01, 2023 11:43PM

BearLover
marty
Trotsky
We inch up to 20 in PWR.

Yeah, that result would help us in multiple ways.

The ECAC is so bad this year that Cornell cannot afford many more losses.

UMD won and we are to 17.

Our NC slate could wind up mean of 19 out of 64 teams, .297.
38 UMD
38 UMD
 1 BU
 9 UMass
16 ASU
16 ASU
16 ASU

For example, last year it was 26 of 61, .459.
23 UMD
23 UMD
41 SHU
21 UConn
36 AIC
36 AIC
 4 BU

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 11:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 01, 2023 11:54PM

I watched several games tonight.. Several of them were jumpy..

Date: December 01, 2023 11:59PM

arugula
The same way BU lost to us.

Date: December 02, 2023 12:18AM

It's a long season
And you gotta trust it
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2023 12:19AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dumbdumbs (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2023 10:00AM

BearLover
Sullivan Mack reminds me of Kyle Betts. A forward who is reliable on defense and the penalty kill, smart and always knows where to be on the ice…but can never bury his chances.

I mean, they're both likable, I guess. But Kyle Betts was a Top 6 forward and one of the team's leaders, and Mack (I'm rooting for him... like all Cornell players) will only turn out that way if all our talented freshmen turn into pumpkins.

Betts always put up a decent number of points, had a hat trick early in his Cornell career, and (being the fastest player on the team) created lots of breakaways and odd-man rushes (of the kind fans go gaga over O'Leary doing these days). It's true that Betts didn't have some magic scoring touch, so if you want to ding him for not finishing on most of those chances... be my guest. But "reliable" is also underselling Betts on his defense, when he was the best penalty killer (forward or defenseman) during his upperclassman seasons.

Would love to see Mack make the type of leap before his senior year that compares, but between his ceiling surely being lower and the lack of chances he'll get with so much more talent around him... one shouldn't bet on it.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 02, 2023 10:13AM

Big game tonight.. Colgate only has 5 D, we need to continue to press that advantage in the 2nd game.

clarkson/Union/RPI/STL have 2 games in hand on us now. All of them could go by us before the games even out.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2023 10:51AM

Dumbdumbs
BearLover

I mean, they're both likable, I guess. But Kyle Betts was a Top 6 forward and one of the team's leaders, and Mack (I'm rooting for him... like all Cornell players) will only turn out that way if all our talented freshmen turn into pumpkins.

Betts always put up a decent number of points, had a hat trick early in his Cornell career, and (being the fastest player on the team) created lots of breakaways and odd-man rushes (of the kind fans go gaga over O'Leary doing these days). It's true that Betts didn't have some magic scoring touch, so if you want to ding him for not finishing on most of those chances... be my guest. But "reliable" is also underselling Betts on his defense, when he was the best penalty killer (forward or defenseman) during his upperclassman seasons.

Would love to see Mack make the type of leap before his senior year that compares, but between his ceiling surely being lower and the lack of chances he'll get with so much more talent around him... one shouldn't bet on it.
i like the new guy

i really do think sullivan mack is our diamond in the rough, though. i feel like he's always doing good things in the right place but is just not quite there and doesn't have the full trust of the coaching staff.

Date: December 02, 2023 11:06AM

upprdeck
Big game tonight.. Colgate only has 5 D, we need to continue to press that advantage in the 2nd game.

clarkson/Union/RPI/STL have 2 games in hand on us now. All of them could go by us before the games even out.

We have been maddeningly inconsistent against Colgate since La Peste. It would be great to bank all 6 (spits) points.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2023 11:08AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 02, 2023 11:21AM

Dumbdumbs
BearLover

I disagree with this. Betts became a regular top 6 forward only during his senior year. He also became a leader (defined as being a captain, since I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes) only during his senior year, when the three captains were the three seniors because everybody else had left. Betts was a 3rd or 4th line guy and penalty killer his first three seasons. He was very good in that role, but that was his role.

Like Betts, Mack is a forward with lots of speed who doesn’t play on a top line and who kills penalties. Mack creates the same types of rushes Betts did (see last night’s game). They both clearly understand the game of hockey and find those soft areas by the goal, but when the one-timer pass comes they tend to blast it into the goalie’s chest. I don’t know how much you’ve watched Mack the past couple seasons, but he definitely leads the team in the ratio of goal posts:goals. His freshman year in particular he was one of the most snake-bitten players I’ve ever seen. He’s also been hurt a lot more than Betts ever was, which has limited him significantly.

I think their ceilings are the same, skill-wise. When you talk of there being “so much more talent around [Mack],” it seems you are suggesting Betts didn’t have the same level of talent surrounding him? That was true Betts’ senior year, when he finally got consistent top 6-time. But that’s because COVID nuked the hockey roster, causing many of the best/most experienced players to transfer or go pro. Betts’ junior year, 2019-20, was probably the single most talented team under Schafer. Yeah, Mack maybe won’t be a top 6 guy next year, but Betts probably wouldn’t have been either, if his senior year took place without much of the surrounding talent choosing to depart.

Overall, I view both Mack and Betts as cerebral, speedy forwards who are great defensively but lack finishing touch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2023 12:13PM by BearLover.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2023 11:40AM

arugula
Oh, thank you for the setup line.

It's the system.

Date: December 02, 2023 12:03PM

BearLover
Dumbdumbs
BearLover

I disagree with this. Betts became a regular top 6 forward only during his senior year. He also became a leader (defined as being a captain, since I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes) only during his senior year, when the three captains were the three seniors because everybody else had left. Betts was a 3rd of 4th line guy and penalty killer his first three seasons. He was very good in that role, but that was his role.

Like Betts, Mack is a forward with lots of speed who doesn’t play on a top line and who kills penalties. Mack creates the same types of rushes Betts did (see last night’s game). They both clearly understand the game of hockey and find those soft areas by the goal, but when the one-timer pass comes they tend to blast it into the goalie’s chest. I don’t know how much you’ve watched Mack the past couple seasons, but he definitely leads the team in the ratio of goal posts:goals. His freshman year in particular he was one of the most snake-bitten players I’ve ever seen. He’s also been hurt a lot more than Betts ever was, which has limited him significantly.

I think their ceilings are the same, skill-wise. When you talk of there being “so much more talent around [Mack],” it seems you are suggesting Betts didn’t have the same level of talent surrounding him? That was true Betts’ senior year, when he finally got consistent top 6-time. But that’s because COVID nuked the hockey roster, causing many of the best/most experienced players to transfer or go pro. Betts’ junior year, 2019-20, was probably the single most talented team under Schafer. Yeah, Mack maybe won’t be a top 6 guy next year, but Betts probably wouldn’t have been either, if his senior year took place without much of the surrounding talent choosing to depart.

Overall, I view both Mack and Betts as cerebral, speedy forwards who are great defensively but lack finishing touch.

This is the perfect take. Now, what have you done with BearLover?

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 02, 2023 01:23PM

That Colgate team sure knows how to hang around against Cornell. The Big Red were a do or die save by Shane away from another potential overtime situation at that arena if you imagine things playing out the same after the save. We were down by the Big Red bench so as we saw Shane swim across to make the save we could also see the bench erupt in awe in our peripheral vision. Pretty neat. Seger was a beast in many categories. Took every D zone face off it felt like and was in on every goal. I was frustrated in the second when Psenicka led a two on one but skated himself out of shooting position because he was waiting for a passing lane to open. He totally redeemed himself on the empty netter though. He had a two on one with Seger who was sitting on a hat trick and instead of trying to get it over to him he was thinking shot the whole time. They gotta start somewhere with that mentality. Robertson had another nice game driving the play. Had the golden opportunity on the first power play from below the dot that went high and made the Panarin to Zibanejad cross ice one time pass to Bancroft on the 3-1 power play goal. It’s hard to find much fault in his game but I’d like to see him stay on his feet in front of the goal on the PK. There were two times in the third where he laid out to try and make plays. The first time it worked on a Chorske stuff but the second time he whiffed on a cross seam pass on the 3-2 goal. I feel like staying upright gives you more chance to make a play by getting your stick in multiple lanes. I don’t have any real world experience in this department mind you. Needless to say the kid is gonna be a stud.

Date: December 02, 2023 01:32PM

VIEWfromK
That Colgate team sure knows how to hang around against Cornell. The Big Red were a do or die save by Shane away from another potential overtime situation at that arena if you imagine things playing out the same after the save. We were down by the Big Red bench so as we saw Shane swim across to make the save we could also see the bench erupt in awe in our peripheral vision. Pretty neat. Seger was a beast in many categories. Took every D zone face off it felt like and was in on every goal. I was frustrated in the second when Psenicka led a two on one but skated himself out of shooting position because he was waiting for a passing lane to open. He totally redeemed himself on the empty netter though. He had a two on one with Seger who was sitting on a hat trick and instead of trying to get it over to him he was thinking shot the whole time. They gotta start somewhere with that mentality. Robertson had another nice game driving the play. Had the golden opportunity on the first power play from below the dot that went high and made the Panarin to Zibanejad cross ice one time pass to Bancroft on the 3-1 power play goal. It’s hard to find much fault in his game but I’d like to see him stay on his feet in front of the goal on the PK. There were two times in the third where he laid out to try and make plays. The first time it worked on a Chorske stuff but the second time he whiffed on a cross seam pass on the 3-2 goal. I feel like staying upright gives you more chance to make a play by getting your stick in multiple lanes. I don’t have any real world experience in this department mind you. Needless to say the kid is gonna be a stud.
I wasn’t able to tell from watching the webcast that it was Robertson who went down to block the pass. I also have no real-world experience in this department and I’m curious when a defender is supposed to go down to block a pass from behind the cage. It did seem high risk.

Robertson has incredible vision and it feels like he’s the only thing holding the PP together. I’m curious if he has been working on his shot. Since he is always thinking pass-first, the opposing team knows they don’t have to take away his shooting lane to the same degree and can instead take away the four pass options. If Robertson were more a threat to shoot you’d think it would really give the PK headaches. I guess you could say the same about Adam Fox and that doesn’t seem to stop him from being one of the best players in the NHL, though.

Date: December 02, 2023 02:51PM

BearLover
If Robertson were more a threat to shoot you’d think it would really give the PK headaches. I guess you could say the same about Adam Fox and that doesn’t seem to stop him from being one of the best players in the NHL, though.
The BU announcer compared Robertson to Malinski. If he develops in that direction, look out.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 02, 2023 03:23PM

After Robertson tried that one shot on the first power play he got the puck another time in the same spot with the same opening but chose to force a pass into traffic in front instead of taking the shot. It's a unique spot for a defenseman to find themselves in. I'd say it's not typical for recent Cornell power play designs but I'm all for trying to see what sticks. The first two power plays yesterday played out without any whistles. They had full posession of the puck in their first opportunity for 1:45. They had two nice chances but they do not subscribe to the theory or peppering the goalie with shots and finding a rebound. It worked on the second goal when 5 on 5 Penney entered the zone, peeled back to wait for traffic, shot the puck and Seger banged in the rebound. They generally have the size for mismatches in front but they tended to prefer to look for tips off the pass instead last night.

Date: December 02, 2023 04:06PM

BearLover
arugula

I agree as to H but as to Dartmouth and Princeton. We should be way better than them. We are closer to BU than they should be to us.

Date: December 02, 2023 04:11PM

arugula
BearLover
arugula

I agree as to H but as to Dartmouth and Princeton. We should be way better than them. We are closer to BU than they should be to us.

They being D and P

Date: December 02, 2023 05:47PM

VIEWfromK
After Robertson tried that one shot on the first power play he got the puck another time in the same spot with the same opening but chose to force a pass into traffic in front instead of taking the shot. It's a unique spot for a defenseman to find themselves in. I'd say it's not typical for recent Cornell power play designs but I'm all for trying to see what sticks. The first two power plays yesterday played out without any whistles. They had full posession of the puck in their first opportunity for 1:45. They had two nice chances but they do not subscribe to the theory or peppering the goalie with shots and finding a rebound. It worked on the second goal when 5 on 5 Penney entered the zone, peeled back to wait for traffic, shot the puck and Seger banged in the rebound. They generally have the size for mismatches in front but they tended to prefer to look for tips off the pass instead last night.
I was fine with our pp last night. Lots of snappy passing and we were actually moving our bodies and changing the shape rather than sticking in a doctrinal 1-3-1 and waiting for the inevitable tip or missed pass to wreck the possession.

We put the puck into good position close in to their freak 9-foot tall goalie a buncha times, we just had a knack for missing the net.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2023 05:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 02, 2023 05:47PM

(dupe)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2023 05:47PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login