Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LGT LGT LGT

Posted by vicb 
LGT LGT LGT
Posted by: vicb (---.s516.tnt1.clmb.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 07:39PM

:-D I am surprized no posting yet on the Clarkson - Cornell tilt this Saturday. Even though the RED are way ahead, I expect the Knights to give them a good close game. I will be listening on the net. May the best team (or Clarkson :) ) win .

Re: LGT LGT LGT
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 07:46PM

This should be an excellent game with stellar defense. (No watch it turns out to be 7-6 ;-) )

Who is Morris tormenting these days in net?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:00PM

Greg Berge wrote:

Who is Morris tormenting these days in net?
Mike Walsh. And if the numbers are any indication, he hasn't been tormented at all... I don't know if he's been pulled at odd times, but the fact that he's played more minutes than any other ECAC goalie speaks to the fact that he's definitely the guy, which as far as I've noticed, has seemed rare at Clarkson since Dan-o graduated.

Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:50PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the goalie uncertainty at Clarkson since Dan-O has more to do with the less than stellar goaltending than with Morris. No one ever really stepped forward and grabbed the job. Looking at the numbers it appears that Walsh has stepped up this year (also judging from the game at Cheel).
Now the tendency to pull the goalie at odd times is purely a Morris thing :-) though it's not always as half baked as it seems.

NO. . .LGR, we Hate Tech!!!
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 09:13PM

. . .Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap. . . boy we are gonna have a blast with Mikey this weekend!!!:-D

p.s. tap, tap. . .I think he might need to see someone about that?:-)

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:28PM

so are the rest of the people in the various sections know to continue remot control goalie with "tap tap tap tap tap tap" (i think it's 6...it's hard not to count when he keeps doing it) instead of jumping straight to "bend over"?

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 01:49AM

That's pretty much correct. Walsh has played pretty well this year and his stats how it. He allowed a few softies early in the season. The much bigger problem has been that for most of the year, the PK was terrible...and the PP was no great shakes either.

After Murphy and Bernard graduated, Shawn Grant did step up and take the job...remember he backboned the team to the '99 LP title as a freshman...but he got hurt part way through last season and his career ended.

I think Walsh has been pulled only a couple of times this season, and from what I heard, it was the right move.

Morris is not the first to pull a goalie and put him back in later...and he surely will not be the last!

:-D

Date: February 22, 2002 01:51AM

I guess Greg has not been paying attention. :-D Though with Clarkson's mediocre season to date, I guess I can understand that.

At any rate, I hope Walsh "torments" cornell Saturday night...just for Greg's benefit! :-)

Re: NO. . .LGR, we Hate Tech!!!
Date: February 22, 2002 01:55AM

You are too young to remember this but Bernie Parent of the Phila Flyers used to go through the same tapping of the posts before each faceoff. I'm guessing Mike may have picked it up from watching old tapes of Bernie since he's from the Philadelphia area.

I've seen other college goalies do that as well in the past 30 years...don't ask me to name one now though....please! :-D

Pipe Tapping
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 22, 2002 09:12AM

Many lacrosse goalies tap the sides of the cage. Any chance Mike played lax in the springtime?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:31AM

I'd forgotten Grant and guess I didn't realize that he had a career ending injury.
If you're down a bunch of goals midway through the third, pulling the goalie may give you a chance to get back into it, by closing the gap and giving your team a confidence boost after scoring. But it's a big risk. I don't think Morris is crazy for doing it - just unorthodox.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:37AM

I thought Morris was more notorious for switching goalies than he was for pulling them for the extra skater.

Beeeej

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:39AM

You're right.... sorry I just got got up and am not really remembering correctly.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:42AM

Damn west coasters. :-{)}

Beeeej

Date: February 22, 2002 01:25PM

> I thought Morris was more notorious for switching goalies than he was for pulling them for the extra skater.

It's both.

Morris pulls the goalie to set up 6x4's and 6x3's from the mid point of the third on in games in which Clarkson trails by at least 2. I don't have any trouble understanding that, and I wish Schafer would use the strategy. (But then again, I also think the goalie should be pulled early in a 1 goal game, rather than with just 1 minute on the clock. Losing by 2 is the same as losing by 1, and I'd much prefer to risk the extra goal for the big chance of setting up the tie.)

Where Morris loses most of us is his quick and somewhat spastic hook -- he seems to yank goalies for punitive reasons, or to shake the team up, more than any other coach. After a while this just looks like flailing, and many has been the time that the removed goalie has looked very, very pissed off (more at Morris than himself), and the replacement goalie has looked a little bewildered (which can't be a good thing).

Everybody has his foibles (Cahoon's melt downs, Gaudet's hystrionics, Gilligan's dumb post-game comments, Marsh's "I will freeze you where you stand" icy stare). Morris' is the goalie circus.

Posted by: zg88 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 01:30PM

Hmmm... remind anyone of Bertrand?

Date: February 22, 2002 01:36PM

I thought Dick's foible was just that his entire team hated him.

Date: February 22, 2002 02:50PM

Greg,

I would not call it a "circus". Only looks that way because others dont do it much in the ECACs. It worked pretty well in that wild '99 title game with Princeton.

Have you ever played goal? I have and though I wasn't happy to get pulled, my play usually warranted it when I was yanked. Goalies have to be thick skinned...more so than any other position.

Lots of coaches pull their top goalie when he's getting shelled when its the skaters' fault and not their's...as if to say..."If you guys are gonna play like crap, I'm not letting Roy/Richter/Bodeur, etc...stay in there and suffer.

Its an attempt to "shake em up" as you said...does it work? Probably not usually...

I like the fact that Morris is unconventional at times...playing "by the book"' is overrated!

That said...I hope Walsh plays 60:00 on Saturday!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: February 23, 2002 01:59AM

Actually, that wild 1999 Clarkson-Princeton game was the semifinal. (I still have the chat transcript of the Princeton equalizer and Wille Mitchell's improbable gamewinner.) Tech beat SLU in the final. Princeton beat Clarkson in double OT in the 1998 ECAC title game. I've actually got a recap by Greg at [slack.net]

Re: 1999
Posted by: RichS (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 12:59PM

Of course you are right John...I must have had a brain cramp as I was packing for the trip. And of course I still feel the pain of the '98 loss! :-D

The '98 and '99 playoff games added a lot of juice to the Tech-PU "rivalry"...and the games are still intense.

I was trying to refer to Grant's great game against SLU in the '99 final.

Thanks again...about to make the 45 min drive to Ithaca now from Bingo.

Hmm....I hear Walsh played well at 'Gate last night...could we have a tight one tonite? That seems to be Morris's game plan from last night's comments...

LETS GO TECH!!!:-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login