Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Davy" cell phone ringtone

"Davy" cell phone ringtone
Posted by: Jeff Puchalski '02 '03 (68.185.137.---)
Date: August 26, 2003 09:44PM

I was wondering if one exists. I found a rather poor version of "Broadway" somewhere online, but it didn't do it justice to say the least.

For anyone interested, this site has a bunch of college song ringtones (but they charge for them - might be free ones elsewhere):
[www.schoolfightsongs.com]

Re: "Davy" cell phone ringtone
Posted by: OOH LA LA (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2003 12:04AM

i have a virgin mobile phone and i have the cornell fight song!!! its pretty damn cool!!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2003 12:06PM

I checked this out when I first started with VoiceStream (now T-Mobile), and not only did they not have "Give My Regards to Broadway" under showtunes, they had a list of college fight songs available which did not include "Davy" (but did include "A Utah Man";).

Unfortunately, ringtone arrangements are usually pretty crappy. I've seen a lot of ads for "Handy-Klingeltone" of the Nena/Kim Wilde duet "Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime", which has a synthesized melody which would be perfect and quite distinctive, but when I listened to the sample, it was just the vocal part, which sounds a lot cheesier.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: August 27, 2003 12:46PM

I started making one after a game at the Regent Lounge and never finished it, but I should probably do that. And my ringtones don't suck :-)

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2003 03:40PM

i've got one for a motorola v60 if anyone wants it

mike 04

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2003 09:44PM

OOH LA LA wrote:

i have a virgin mobile phone and i have the cornell fight song!!! its pretty damn cool!!

How did you manage that?

Posted by: ilovebobmarley (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2003 12:11AM

how did i manage that? well... i have the phone and online you can order ringtones on the website and they happend to have cornells fight song.. for two bucks its not bad!!!!!!

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: August 28, 2003 09:15AM

OOH LA LA wrote:

how did i manage that? well... i have the phone and online you can order ringtones on the website and they happend to have cornells fight song.. for two bucks its not bad!!!!!!

Sorry. My first question wasn't clear. I should have asked if you DL'ed the ringtone from Virgin or if there was another way to add ringtones to a Virgin phone. When I got my virgin phone, I didn't look through the selection of ringtones as I thought paying $2 for a ringtone was silly. But I never imagined that Davy would be available...

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Bobbo (128.239.189.---)
Date: August 28, 2003 02:54PM

I never even thought of this. Who knows of a good way to get one if your provider is Verizon...

Oh yeah, I have the motorola T720

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2003 05:50PM

Do all of the responders who have changed their ring tones own the interface needed to load it into the phone? I am not ready to buy one but then again I just looked on the Verizon site and can't find one for my phone at this time.

Is there a way to dial a site that will send the ring tone to the phone?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 28, 2003 08:22PM

Of course, if we all have "Davy," then getting a call at a Cornell game will turn into quite an event... ;-)

Date: August 28, 2003 08:58PM

Right now my phone can't even download ringtones, but I'm planning to upgrade soon. I'm on Verizon, and will probably get one of the newer (color screen) Samsung models, which can download them. If they have support for programming ring tones, I'll definitely try making one for "Davy".

Here is some info on Verizon's 'Get It Now' technology:
[news.corporate.findlaw.com]

Does anyone know if you can use/write open-source programs for Verizon? (or any other service providers) Or does it all have to go thru Verizon's content provider application process? I'm not too familiar with all of this, being my 2 year old phone is now a clunky dinosaur :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2003 09:08PM

If you can hear your cell phone ring at a hockey game, you're doing something wrong. :-P

Posted by: cquinn (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: August 28, 2003 09:31PM

I would rather have everyone's cell phones go off all at the same time, with any kind of ring, and then head straight into "Your mom called..."

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 29, 2003 01:37AM

[q]I would rather have everyone's cell phones go off all at the same time, with any kind of ring, and then head straight into "Your mom called..."[/q]

If that could be organized, it would be fantastic!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 29, 2003 08:21AM

Why don't we get them to put a ringing cell phone up to the announcer's microphone?

JH

Posted by: paulspen (128.253.145.---)
Date: August 29, 2003 09:53AM

I'd love it. Now how can I get it?

Posted by: gtsully (12.45.229.---)
Date: August 29, 2003 10:57AM

Greg wrote:

Of course, if we all have "Davy," then getting a call at a Cornell game will turn into quite an event... ;-)

I really hope that all of us will have our cell phones turned OFF when we're actually at the games. Nothing worse than someone yammering away during a game - big pet peeve of mine...

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: August 29, 2003 11:38AM

Grant MacIntyre '05 wrote:

[q]I would rather have everyone's cell phones go off all at the same time, with any kind of ring, and then head straight into "Your mom called..."[/q]

If that could be organized, it would be fantastic!

Pick a time of the game (say, first face-off *after* the 2d period cowbell (it has to be done during a break so you don't have to stare at a clock instead of the action)) and have people just call the person sitting next to them inside Lynah.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: August 29, 2003 11:40AM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

Why don't we get them to put a ringing cell phone up to the announcer's microphone?

JH
Arthur strikes me as a few shades too classy and mature to start a cheer that ends with "sucks".

Date: August 29, 2003 07:23PM

That wouldn't work though because once you're in a call the phone won't ring again - it'll just beep to let you know you have another incoming call. The best thing would be one of those websites that does auto-wakeup calls (or someone write a program to do it!), and people can go sign up for it to call their phone at a set time during the game. Course it'd be hard to predict what the current 'state' of the game would be when the call came in....maybe if they could sign up and be entered in a queue, and then someone can just click a 'Run' button or something to start dialing all the numbers in the queue simultaneously, if that's possible. Any CS majors who know alot about VoIP in here? :-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2003 09:47PM

If half the arena called and half the arena let the phones ring it would work.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2003 12:42PM

BigRed Apple wrote:

If half the arena called and half the arena let the phones ring it would work.

Maybe I'm just ignorant having never owned a mobile phone, but isn't there a button you can push to make it ring? Like if you want to hear or set your ring tone or something? You probably wouldn't even need a signal to do so, since I hear it's somewhat touch-and-go to get a signal inside the tin can that is Lynah.

Or you can do what I do...yell "Ring Ring" really loud. :-)

Date: August 30, 2003 03:03PM

Very true.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: September 02, 2003 05:42PM

Well, a while back, I had "composed" the New Fight Song, My Old Cornell, and Davy into my Sony Ericcson T68i. Tedious, but not difficult. Call me bored.

I'm not sure if I can transfer it out, but if it is possible, then maybe I can post it somewhere.

If I find out anything, I'll let you all know.

Posted by: Erica (---.iern.disa.mil)
Date: September 03, 2003 05:01PM

Anyone who has a cellphone can play their own ringer. No calling need be involved.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2003 05:25PM

Erica wrote:

Anyone who has a cellphone can play their own ringer. No calling need be involved.

An obvious example of telephonanism. bugeye

Date: September 03, 2003 05:45PM

LOL!

Posted by: Neil Shapiro '83 (146.145.226.---)
Date: September 05, 2003 11:39AM

ROFLMAO - funniest post on this site in months

Posted by: skijmpr (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 02:38AM

Just to update everyone on this...I got a new phone finally, and using Verizon's GetItNow browser with the Ringster 2.0 app, found "Give My Regards to Davy" in the "Fight Songs - Other" category. It doesn't sound half bad, though I'm unsure if it does the Big Red Band justice. :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.accel.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 03:16PM

Cingular has Davy on it's Ringtones... it also has what it lists as "Far Above Cayuga's Waters", except it's not... it's C-O-R-N-E-double L .

I've considered them, except I now have a phone capable of polyphotonic ringtones, and it feels like such a waste to use the plain old tones :-D .

-Fred

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 03:22PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:
polyphotonic ringtones
Are those like what the starship Enterprise has?

Posted by: MikeT (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:48PM

yup. you make them with a concentrated tachyon pulse to the dilithium crystals

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 11:35PM

This is absolutely brilliant. I just downloaded Davy.

Thank you for making my day and giving me an early Chanukah present. banana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login