Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2023 NCAA QF: Cornell vs BU

Posted by Trotsky 
2023 NCAA QF: Cornell vs BU
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 08:36AM

Gonna be a very quiet thread with almost all of us there.

Let's Go Red! cheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheer

Re: 2023 NCAA QF: Cornell vs BU
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2023 08:48AM

Screw B.U.!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 11:41AM

Ticket Information for NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Manchester Regional

The Cornell Big Red Men's Ice Hockey team has defeated Denver to advance to the 2023 Division I Men's Ice Hockey tournament Regional Final at SNHU Arena in Manchester, NH.
The Big Red will take on Boston University in the Regional Final at the Manchester Regional on Saturday, March 25th at 4:00PM EST, and tickets are ON SALE NOW!
Tickets are selling fast for this highly-anticipated matchup, and 100-Level tickets are extremely limited. To ensure that you are able to secure tickets, we strongly encourage you to purchase your tickets at bigredtix.com now!
Tickets purchased in the Cornell allotment will be located in sections 105-106. Tickets purchased on bigredtix.com are valid for the following game:

Regional Final: Boston University vs. Cornell University | Saturday, March 25th | 4:00PM

Ticket location will be assigned by Cornell in the order in which received. The deadline to purchase tickets via the Cornell Athletic Ticketing Office, and to ensure your seats will be in the Cornell block, is 2:30pm on Friday, March 24th. All tickets are digital and will be transferred to the email address provided at check-out by Saturday, March 25th at 12:00PM.

Edit to add: I only see 200 level tickets through the arena website for $45 plus I would think some ticketmaster fees. Through Cornell I just bought what they say are in 105-106 for $45 with no fees.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2023 11:43AM by jts15.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 12:23PM

Just to add, the tickets Cornell provided to yesterday's games had a lot of problems on the TicketShafter end. No fault on the CU side, FWIW.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 12:31PM

started wistfully looking at airfares to tampa for the final which is putting the cart way ahead of the horse but i need time to work out a financial justification strategy etc and ... man ... if we get past BU i'm going to the canuck

fair amount of reasonably priced FF tickets though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2023 12:31PM by ugarte.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 12:56PM

I just bought single day there->back flights to Boston for me and my son -- we'll make it to Manchester by 1pm or so, back in Orlando by midnight. Can't wait!

Date: March 24, 2023 01:04PM

Lynah watch party again:

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 24, 2023 01:57PM

ugarte

Big change from the days it would basically sell out within a week and they instituted a priority system for repeat attendees. Now I get tons of emails for months about buying tickets.

When NCAA reps started calling me several years back I could sense things changing. Even Lax championship weekend downsized from NFL stadiums.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: March 24, 2023 01:59PM

After buffalo I think I’d fly in only for the championship game. Can’t justify a weekend in TB if they lost in semis. Also this is not woofing.

Date: March 24, 2023 02:12PM

RichH
ugarte

Big change from the days it would basically sell out within a week and they instituted a priority system for repeat attendees. Now I get tons of emails for months about buying tickets.

When NCAA reps started calling me several years back I could sense things changing. Even Lax championship weekend downsized from NFL stadiums.
i think moving from college hockey towns like minneapolis or denver to, say, "tampa" probably a contributing factor

Date: March 24, 2023 02:27PM

Beeeej
Lynah watch party again:

[cornellbigredtickets.universitytickets.com]
Is there any footage from the one Thursday? That could have been a hoot.

Date: March 24, 2023 02:28PM

Teddy does teevee.

I'm rooting for Harvard tonight but let's be serious... fuck Teddy.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 03:08PM

3-0, ha ha ha

Date: March 24, 2023 03:10PM

scoop85
3-0, ha ha ha

...and 4-0 by the time you'd hit "Post message."

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 03:21PM

Beeeej
scoop85
3-0, ha ha ha

...and 4-0 by the time you'd hit "Post message."

quite right

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 04:40PM

ugarte
i think moving from college hockey towns like minneapolis or denver to, say, "tampa" probably a contributing factor

Tampa sold out in 2012 and 2016. Buffalo attendance was bad. So it has nothing to do with venue, and more to do with how things have changed over time - as Rich pointed out with lacrosse as well. Attendance to everything below major pro sports is down consistently over the last 10 years.

Date: March 24, 2023 04:51PM

adamw
ugarte

Tampa sold out in 2012 and 2016. Buffalo attendance was bad. So it has nothing to do with venue, and more to do with how things have changed over time - as Rich pointed out with lacrosse as well. Attendance to everything below major pro sports is down consistently over the last 10 years.
buffalo attendance was bad because people with tickets sold them on craigslist after the semifinal (sample size: 1)

Date: March 25, 2023 04:22PM

13 minutes in. BU carrying play but not getting much to the net. The Red just had a great possession with a few decent chances. Still scoreless.

Pronouncing SNHU "shnoo" has powerful U-H-N energy.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 04:27PM

ugarte
13 minutes in. BU carrying play but not getting much to the net. The Red just had a great possession with a few decent chances. Still scoreless.

I've always pronounced it shnoo.

Date: March 25, 2023 04:36PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

I've always pronounced it shnoo.
i get it,mr. favre.

i stg if we gave up another goal with under 10 seconds in the period there...

Date: March 25, 2023 05:36PM

I’d really like us to be connecting on and completing our passes like we were Thursday. This could be 3-0 or 4-0 with the giveaways we’ve made.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 05:41PM

Beeeej
I’d really like us to be connecting on and completing our passes like we were Thursday. This could be 3-0 or 4-0 with the giveaways we’ve made.

Similar to Harvard (well, not yesterday’s Harvard) BU has great closing speed when our guys get the puck. We need to be a little quicker with our decision making, because what works against Union or Yale won’t work agaisnt these guys. I think Andreev has been our best forward today, one bad pass excepted.

Date: March 25, 2023 05:54PM

scoop85
Beeeej

Similar to Harvard (well, not yesterday’s Harvard) BU has great closing speed when our guys get the puck. We need to be a little quicker with our decision making, because what works against Union or Yale won’t work agaisnt these guys. I think Andreev has been our best forward today, one bad pass excepted.

Except that Max keeps trying to get it all done himself. Unselfish play works for this team.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 05:58PM

we need this power play....LGR!

bonus: my inner bevis and butthead had a good chuckle when the announcers notice the delayed penalty on BU and say and now COrnell will get Shane off"

Posted by: Iceberg (193.36.224.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:05PM

Without having watched BU throughout the year, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this is that team's best defensive game of the season

Date: March 25, 2023 06:09PM

Iceberg
Without having watched BU throughout the year, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this is that team's best defensive game of the season

Good coaching job by them. Doing what Harvard did to us last week.

Posted by: Iceberg (193.36.224.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:14PM

scoop85
Iceberg

Definitely. These one-and-done formats favor skilled teams that can actually play defense. Speed and skill can't be coached but defense definitely can be. Cornell is playing an overall good game but this is clearly a different BU team than the one in January
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 06:14PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:25PM

Had a couple swipes at tying it.

Damn, this adrenaline

Posted by: 75er (---.mass.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:29PM

Proud of the effort and intensity. As contrasted with other ECAC squads in this tournament

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:34PM

BU played great D. Can't argue. If we had popped one early…

Date: March 25, 2023 06:40PM

sloppy game after the first period but it's really a result of how much more scared we were of them than they were of us. they didn't give us any room to breathe or set up and we needed to respond with patience and instead it became timidity. right now we don't have the speed or precision or confidence to make a team pay for putting on pressure from end to end and the reward is more defensive pressure. it still starts for me with the fucking insane amount of time we sit behind the net before a breakout unless the other team completely retreats to the neutral zone.

our passes were all either held too long and snuffed out or rushed garbage that killed any flow. and my god how many times can one team chunk or fan on a decent look?

that said, we played really solid defense when we weren't in scramble mode because the offense coughed up the puck. they had so much more possession that losing 2-1 with a final chance at OT was getting off easy.

not a good day, and right on the heels of a great one. oh well. see you next year.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:43PM

Loss is devastating but BU deserved this one in the end and I’m happy with our growth this season… at least we got ourselves a couple banners out of it - that’s more than Harvard can say ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 06:44PM by Dunc.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 06:45PM

Iceberg
scoop85
Iceberg

Definitely. These one-and-done formats favor skilled teams that can actually play defense. Speed and skill can't be coached but defense definitely can be. Cornell is playing an overall good game but this is clearly a different BU team than the one in January

Well said. They were exceptional at shot-blocking. Beat us at our own game, really.

Our skating speed was there, but the stickhandling seemed so slow.

Date: March 25, 2023 06:46PM

ugarte
sloppy game after the first period but it's really a result of how much more scared we were of them than they were of us. they didn't give us any room to breathe or set up and we needed to respond with patience and instead it became timidity. right now we don't have the speed or precision or confidence to make a team pay for putting on pressure from end to end and the reward is more defensive pressure. it still starts for me with the fucking insane amount of time we sit behind the net before a breakout unless the other team completely retreats to the neutral zone.

our passes were all either held too long and snuffed out or rushed garbage that killed any flow. and my god how many times can one team chunk or fan on a decent look?

that said, we played really solid defense when we weren't in scramble mode because the offense coughed up the puck. they had so much more possession that losing 2-1 with a final chance at OT was getting off easy.

not a good day, and right on the heels of a great one. oh well. see you next year.

Spot on

Date: March 25, 2023 06:58PM

scoop85
ugarte

Spot on

Ditto.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-250.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 07:08PM

ugarte

I agree with some of this, but I thought possession was pretty even. The big difference between the Denver game and this one was that on Thursday, a bounce went Cornell’s way on the opening goal. Today, a bounce went BU’s way. I think if Cornell had scored first, there’s a good chance their defense would have allowed them to hold on to win. BU is just too talented and if they’re smartly playing defense, coming from behind against them is almost impossible.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-228-35.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 07:23PM

We played well. BU played well. Just wasn't meant to be.

BU definitely did a better job taking away space than Denver did.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 07:28PM

Even though Cornell was the underdog coming in and BU played a bit better overall, sometimes the underdog wins and sometimes the worse team wins. Schafer is now 1-8 in NCAA regionals finals. We’re going to be the underdog and the worse team in most regional finals, but we should be winning them more than we have. It would be nice to get lucky for once.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 07:28PM by BearLover.

Date: March 25, 2023 07:29PM

BearLover
Even though Cornell was the underdog coming in and BU played a bit better overall, sometimes the underdog wins and sometimes the worse team wins. Schafer is now 1-8 in NCAA regionals finals. We’re going to be the underdog and the worse team in most regional finals, but we should be winning them more than we have. It would be nice to get lucky for once.

Our record in regional semis has to be pretty good though, right? Feel like most years we win one.

Date: March 25, 2023 07:34PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Our record in regional semis has to be pretty good though, right? Feel like most years we win one.
9-4. We’ve been lucky in the regional semis, unlucky in the regional finals.

Date: March 25, 2023 07:37PM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

Thanks. 10-12 combined is pretty good, since we've been the underdog more often than not. I guess it's 10-13 in total across the tournament.

But 9-4 one round, 1-8 the next, is unlikely.

Date: March 25, 2023 08:10PM

BearLover
... I thought possession was pretty even.
in terms of "we knocked them off the puck and have it until we give it back" or "we have the puck and we're going to do something with it that looks like offense"? because it was a lot of the former and very little of the latter.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 25, 2023 08:13PM

In the big games late in the season, our lack of elite offensive talent showed up. We were shut out in 8 of the last 10 periods we played. Perhaps we would have done better if Steinburg had time to work himself back into the lineup. Our power-play also fizzled once the post-season began. We didn't have any 5-minute majors against Union to get it back on track.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 08:16PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 08:17PM

Dafatone
BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover

Thanks. 10-12 combined is pretty good, since we've been the underdog more often than not. I guess it's 10-13 in total across the tournament.

But 9-4 one round, 1-8 the next, is unlikely.

I happened to be looking it up today: Ted Donato is 1-7 in the first round. 2-8 overall. Harvard is 3-13 in the NCAA Tournament since Cleary retired in 1990, with the only wins coming in 1994 and 2017. They were 0-7 from 1955-1980, then 8-6 in the decade of the 1980s.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 08:19PM by RichH.

Date: March 25, 2023 09:49PM

ugarte
BearLover
in terms of "we knocked them off the puck and have it until we give it back" or "we have the puck and we're going to do something with it that looks like offense"? because it was a lot of the former and very little of the latter.

We got outshot 21-14, so a whole lot of nothing happened in both directions.

We actually had more total shot attempts, something like 46-43, but we took a lot of shots from distance that went right into a BU guy's ankles.

Date: March 25, 2023 10:01PM

ugarte
BearLover

Yes, that’s how I saw things play out. This team had a lot to offer, but lacked a Barron-like forward who could be a difference-maker at the college level. Bancroft showed flashes of that, but I don’t think he’s quite at that level (at least for this year). I’ll save my thoughts for next year for another day, but no reason to think we won’t remain in the hunt for good things in the next several years.

Posted by: Pghas (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 10:04PM

dbilmes
In the big games late in the season, our lack of elite offensive talent showed up. We were shut out in 8 of the last 10 periods we played. Perhaps we would have done better if Steinburg had time to work himself back into the lineup. Our power-play also fizzled once the post-season began. We didn't have any 5-minute majors against Union to get it back on track.

Agreed. We don’t have a couple of elite offensive players who you feel like are a threat when the puck is on their stick. Nobody like that at least not yet. Maybe next years recruits will be scorers and have more offensive upside because that’s all this team needs now.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 10:15PM

IINM BU led blocked shots 21-6.

Date: March 25, 2023 10:25PM

Pghas
dbilmes

Agreed. We don’t have a couple of elite offensive players who you feel like are a threat when the puck is on their stick. Nobody like that at least not yet. Maybe next years recruits will be scorers and have more offensive upside because that’s all this team needs now.
The team is going to need a lot more than that given we’re graduating three defensemen and five forwards who played almost every single game they were healthy for over the last 4 or 5 years. We are losing our best player (Malinski), our other best defenseman (Mitchell), our best defensive forward (Tupker), most of our best offensive players (Berard, Andreev, Stienburg, Malone), and one of our most dependable defensemen (Dirven). Frankly, next year is going to be a partial rebuilding year. But Quinnipiac and Harvard stand to lose as much or more than we will, and Clarkson has already lost several of their best players to the transfer portal. I don’t take Colgate particularly seriously, plus their goalie and top forward should be graduating. Don’t know much about St. Lawrence. And the rest of the ECAC has been horrible. So we should be good again next year, but the team is going to need a lot of work. Since the NCAAs seem impossible, it would be nice to actually win the ECAC for once.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 10:27PM by BearLover.

Date: March 25, 2023 10:29PM

BearLover
Pghas
dbilmes

The team is going to need a lot more than that given we’re graduating three defensemen and five forwards who played almost every single game they were healthy for over the last 4 or 5 years. We are losing our best player (Malinski), our other best defenseman (Mitchell), our best defensive forward (Tupker), most of our best offensive players (Berard, Andreev, Stienburg, Malone), and one of our most dependable defensemen (Dirven). Frankly, next year is going to be a partial rebuilding year. But Quinnipiac and Harvard stand to lose as much or more than we will, and Clarkson has already lost several of their best players to the transfer portal. I don’t take Colgate particularly seriously, plus their goalie and top forward should be graduating. Don’t know much about St. Lawrence. And the rest of the ECAC has been horrible. So we should be good again next year, but the team is going to need a lot of work. Since the NCAAs seem impossible, it would be nice to actually win the ECAC for once.
I’m still holding out hope one or two of these players finds a way to come back for a fifth year. I think we would have brought back several if we were a non-Ivy. At other schools, seniors still participated in senior night ceremonies even if they later announced they were returning for a fifth year.

Date: March 25, 2023 11:21PM

What Schafer’s taking away:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

- Steve Worona

Date: March 25, 2023 11:45PM

Beeeej

Well, that article makes it sound like none of the seniors will be back despite Schafer acknowledging they “got an extra year of eligibility.” Then again, the article mentions 10 seniors when by my count there are only 8. So who knows how good the information in the article is. In any event, the Ivy league’s idiotic rules continue to hamper this program.

This season is the culmination of another great job by this program, but even more so than normal, because (as the article alludes to) the bottom could have completely fallen out during the year the Ivy League canceled sports. The coaches and players stuck together and somehow ended up one game from the frozen four just two years removed from the canceled season. Pretty amazing.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 11:52PM by BearLover.

Date: March 26, 2023 12:00AM

Beeeej

Nicely written article that provides more than meaningless cliches.

Date: March 26, 2023 12:12AM

scoop85
Beeeej

Nicely written article that provides more than meaningless cliches.

And I just cleaned up some typos - so read it again :)

Date: March 26, 2023 12:15AM

BearLover
Beeeej

Well, that article makes it sound like none of the seniors will be back despite Schafer acknowledging they “got an extra year of eligibility.” Then again, the article mentions 10 seniors when by my count there are only 8. So who knows how good the information in the article is. In any event, the Ivy league’s idiotic rules continue to hamper this program.

This season is the culmination of another great job by this program, but even more so than normal, because (as the article alludes to) the bottom could have completely fallen out during the year the Ivy League canceled sports. The coaches and players stuck together and somehow ended up one game from the frozen four just two years removed from the canceled season. Pretty amazing.

Players leave every program every year. Losing the players Cornell is losing will hurt, but they're not alone, and it's not new. Others will take their place. Despite the numbers, Cornell will probably lose less than many other teams around the country. Andreev, Mitchell and Malinski are the obvious biggest losses. The others are more easily replaced. But it'll be fine.

Date: March 26, 2023 12:29AM

I hadn't heard the entirety of Coach's quote until just now, so I added it to the story - so in all seriousness, it might be worth another look. Coach was pretty emotional saying this, and had to collect himself. But here is what I just added ...

"Guys leaving your program, guys jumping in the portal — seems like kids don't know how to fight through adversity anymore. There's a lack (of) character and integrity. Schools decommit guys, kids decommit," Schafer said. "These two guys here, they could've signed pro. They didn't. Both could've transferred. They didn't. Them and their whole classmates.

"I think it speaks volumes about the kids we get at Cornell University. They're loyal to their teammates, they're loyal to their coaching staff, they're loyal to the institution. They're willing to fight through adversity. And that's the kind of kid we want in our program in the future, and the kids we literally search out to represent and put some integrity in this game.

"There's 200 kids in the transfer portal? These kids are what it's all about in being a college coach. And I'm so proud of them and their classmates. They didn't blink. They stayed in school, got another year of eligibility. If that's not what first class, integrity, character, never quit (is) ... Proud coach. Proud."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2023 12:31AM by adamw.

Date: March 26, 2023 12:33AM

adamw
I hadn't heard the entirety of Coach's quote until just now, so I added it to the story - so in all seriousness, it might be worth another look. Coach was pretty emotional saying this, and had to collect himself. But here is what I just added ...

"Guys leaving your program, guys jumping in the portal — seems like kids don't know how to fight through adversity anymore. There's a lack (of) character and integrity. Schools decommit guys, kids decommit," Schafer said. "These two guys here, they could've signed pro. They didn't. Both could've transferred. They didn't. Them and their whole classmates.

"I think it speaks volumes about the kids we get at Cornell University. They're loyal to their teammates, they're loyal to their coaching staff, they're loyal to the institution. They're willing to fight through adversity. And that's the kind of kid we want in our program in the future, and the kids we literally search out to represent and put some integrity in this game.

"There's 200 kids in the transfer portal? These kids are what it's all about in being a college coach. And I'm so proud of them and their classmates. They didn't blink. They stayed in school, got another year of eligibility. If that's not what first class, integrity, character, never quit (is) ... Proud coach. Proud."
Great quotes from Coach Schafer, thank you

Date: April 05, 2023 10:28PM

One last Ufda.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login