Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2023 NCAA Tournament: Regionals

Posted by Beeeej 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 2023 NCAA Tournament: Regionals
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:37AM

Trotsky
Number of NC$$ QF appearances, during Schafer tenure (96 - present):

1.  17 North Dakota
     17 Michigan
 3.  15 BC
 4.  12 BU
     12 Minnesota
 6.  10 Denver
 7.   9 Cornell
      9 UNH
      9 CC
10.   7 Maine
10.   7 Notre Dame

ECAC Teams:
9 Cornell
5 Quinnipiac
4 Clarkson
3 Union
3 Yale
1 St. Lawrence
1 Harvard

What are the numbers for frozen four though? (I don't know)

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:49AM

Trotsky
Number of NC$$ QF appearances, during Schafer tenure (96 - present):

1.  17 North Dakota
     17 Michigan
 3.  15 BC
 4.  12 BU
     12 Minnesota
 6.  10 Denver
 7.   9 Cornell
      9 UNH
      9 CC
10.   7 Maine
10.   7 Notre Dame

ECAC Teams:
9 Cornell
5 Quinnipiac
4 Clarkson
3 Union
3 Yale
1 St. Lawrence
1 Harvard
Yes, Schafer has been successful, but the above is misleading because you just decided to cut it off at the one round that Cornell usually gets to before they lose. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but if you measure this by NCAA appearances, we’re approximately tied with Harvard. If you measure by frozen fours, we’re tied with Harvard and Yale and behind Q and Union. If you measure by national championships, we’re behind Yale and Union. As I say, these random schools with no hockey tradition or fans have reached heights we haven’t reached in 20+ years, and that’s extremely demoralizing in my view.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:52AM

Frozen Four Appearances by team:

Since 1996:

12 BC
11 Michigan
11 North Dakota
 7 Minnesota
 6 BU
 6 Denver
 6 Maine
 5 Minn-Duluth

ECAC:

3 Quinnipiac 
2 Union
1 Cornell
1 St. Lawrence
1 Vermont
1 Yale
1 Harvard

Date: March 27, 2023 01:59AM

Trotsky
Frozen Four Appearances by team:

Since 1996:

12 BC
11 Michigan
11 North Dakota
 7 Minnesota
 6 BU
 6 Denver
 6 Maine
 5 Minn-Duluth

ECAC:

3 Quinnipiac 
2 Union
1 Cornell
1 St. Lawrence
1 Vermont
1 Yale
1 Harvard
This is cringe

Date: March 27, 2023 02:01AM

FWIW, Union started its hockey program in 1904, were coached by Ned Harness in the 70s, and reached the NCAA D2 and D3 Frozen Four in the 1980s, before winning the D1 title in 2014.

Quinnipiac... yeah, they did come from nowhere under Pecknold, successfully transitioning from D3 to D1.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 04:56AM

Wwhy are we wasting our time with this sniveling whiner?

Date: March 27, 2023 10:10AM

Al DeFlorio
Wwhy are we wasting our time with this sniveling whiner?
Hey, that’s not nice. You should be in a better mood this morning—your Bobcats just made it to their third Frozen Four in ten years! *sniffles*

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 11:04AM

The only thing demoralizing is having to waste time continually reading BearLover's nonsense ... Age, can we get a mute button?

Date: March 27, 2023 11:19AM

Draft picks in the frozen four:
BU—12 (8 picks in first three rounds, including 1 first round pick)
Michigan—14 (9 picks in first three rounds, including 6 first round picks*)
Minnesota—15** (7 picks in first three rounds, including 3 first round picks)
Quinnipiac—2 (0 picks in first three rounds)

*includes Gavin Brindley and Adam Fantili, both projected to be first round picks (Fantili projected to go second overall)
**includes Luke Mittelstadt, projected to be drafted

Graduate students in the frozen four:
BU—0
Michigan—1
Minnesota—0
Quinnipiac—7

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 11:30AM

BearLover
Quinnipiac—7
tell me again how cornell is supposed to compete with this on an even playing field and why we should pretend that this is anything except the base reality? under the circumstances of our participation - which will not change - Cornell is literally the best case scenario but for puck luck.

Date: March 27, 2023 11:30AM

ugarte
BearLover
Quinnipiac—7
tell me again how cornell is supposed to compete with this on an even playing field and why we should pretend that this is anything except the base reality? under the circumstances of our participation - which will not change - Cornell is literally the best case scenario but for puck luck.
I don’t disagree with this at all though

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 27, 2023 11:35AM

We are so close to not competing that we lost in the regional finals by a goal.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:01PM

upprdeck
We are so close to not competing that we lost in the regional finals by a goal.
And... scene.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-216.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2023 12:15PM

I think it's important to remember that we're not entitled to anything.

Cornell has a long and storied history, a really good coach, consistent performance over the last two decades, and a pretty kickass rink and fanbase. But none of that guarantees success. Even our "bad" years, like last season, had us as one of the better teams nationally, just not quite good enough to get an NCAA bid (and not making Lake Placid always hurts).

We can't hand out scholarships. A Cornell degree is obviously a big draw, but let's face it, the other Ivies can say the same thing, and most of the rest of the ECAC offers high quality education. The grad eligibility rules sting. There aren't really many inherent advantages that keep us competitive.

I live near Nebraska. Let me tell you, Nebraska football fans LOVE to yell, "we should be better than this because we're Nebraska!" And they're wrong. There aren't many programs that can make that claim solely based on their brand. I'm not saying we shouldn't be bummed to lose in the ECAC semis and the NCAA regional finals, but overall, we're very lucky that we get to see the consistent success we see.

Granted, I'm yelling at the void here, because even our less-thrilled compatriots seem relatively pleased with how this season shook out. But I've been a fan for 20 years and there's really only been one season that felt like gee, we're kinda bad at this hockey thing, aren't we. That's impressive.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:41PM

Dafatone
I've been a fan for 20 years and there's really only been one season that felt like gee, we're kinda bad at this hockey thing, aren't we. That's impressive.

2013 left a scar.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:48PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
I've been a fan for 20 years and there's really only been one season that felt like gee, we're kinda bad at this hockey thing, aren't we. That's impressive.

2013 left a scar.

I don't know the Xs and Os of it, but after that season, Schafer said we tried something different and we're giving up on it.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:51PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

2013 left a scar.
He also said that after 2015, the actual worst season since I’ve been a fan.

I don't know the Xs and Os of it, but after that season, Schafer said we tried something different and we're giving up on it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:55PM

Regionals results by conference:

Big T*n: 6-2 (2 left alive)
ECAC: 3-3 (1 left)
Hockey East:2-1 (1 left)
NCHC: 1-3
CCHA: 0-2
Atlantic H: 0-1

Granted, our numbers are padded by Quinnipiac, but the ECAC ended up with a pretty respectable regionals performance, notwithstanding the Friday Night Massacre.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 27, 2023 02:00PM

jtwcornell91
Regionals results by conference:

Big T*n: 6-2 (2 left alive)
ECAC: 3-3 (1 left)
Hockey East:2-1 (1 left)
NCHC: 1-3
CCHA: 0-2
Atlantic H: 0-1

Granted, our numbers are padded by Quinnipiac, but the ECAC ended up with a pretty respectable regionals performance, notwithstanding the Friday Night Massacre.

I am aware of how the numbers shook out, but it remains weird to me that the ECAC could have one of its weakest years and still get 4 teams in.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 02:13PM

Dafatone
I am aware of how the numbers shook out, but it remains weird to me that the ECAC could have one of its weakest years and still get 4 teams in.
2023 was a weaker year overall for the ECAC but the top three teams deserved to go based on the season's work, and Colgate got in by the expedient of winning the tournament. Quinnipiac and Harvard were top ten teams and had to go. And Cornell was borderline but still good enough to go based on RPI. Cornell and Q showed they belonged based on the round-of-16 games. Harvard had a terrible one-and-done outing and Colgate, like Cinderella, stayed out too late.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 02:22PM

BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Quinnipiac—7
I don’t disagree with this at all though
So then what's all the caterwauling about? You're better off shouting into a hole than posting what you do on this topic here because at least the hole won't yell back.

We aren't Q because we can't compete in the gutter and we aren't Harvard because we can't compete on brand. Somehow we're still consistently better at recruiting and converting those recruits into players than the *other* schools with bettter brands than us, who probably consider us Q-lite on admissions AND we're consistently better at recruiting and converting the recruits into players than the schools who consider us Harvard-lite. It is kind of a bummer that Yale caught a heater and won the tournament from the 4 seed or that Union did by presaging the rise of Q but goddamn it doesn't mean anything! It certainly doesn't mean anything that we can do anything about!

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 04:35PM

ugarte
It is kind of a bummer that Yale caught a heater and won the tournament from the 4 seed or that Union did by presaging the rise of Q but goddamn it doesn't mean anything! It certainly doesn't mean anything that we can do anything about!

Always amazes me how short memories are. Al knows way more about this than I do - but I wrote about this topic a bunch of times in that era ... But the Big 3 Ivies had a distinct "scholarship advantage" for a number of years there. Until the other Ivies decided to get together and agree that it was OK to match their non-athletic aid for sports purposes. After that happened, things turned back around pretty quickly for Cornell vis-a-vis Yale.

Date: March 28, 2023 07:24AM

ugarte
We aren't Q because we can't compete in the gutter and we aren't Harvard because we can't compete on brand. Somehow we're still consistently better at recruiting and converting those recruits into players than the *other* schools with bettter brands than us, who probably consider us Q-lite on admissions AND we're consistently better at recruiting and converting the recruits into players than the schools who consider us Harvard-lite. It is kind of a bummer that Yale caught a heater and won the tournament from the 4 seed or that Union did by presaging the rise of Q but goddamn it doesn't mean anything! It certainly doesn't mean anything that we can do anything about!
Concise and comprehensive.
In a just world this would bring the curtain down.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 28, 2023 08:42AM

The biggest reason Cornell struggles to recruit is the lack of marginal kids they are allowed to bring in compared to the other ivys

Date: March 28, 2023 03:07PM

upprdeck
The biggest reason Cornell struggles to recruit is the lack of marginal kids they are allowed to bring in compared to the other ivys

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login