Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"When The Red Come Skating In"

Posted by HeafDog 
"When The Red Come Skating In"
Posted by: HeafDog (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 12:03AM

(Starts nice and slow, and gathers speed starting after the first time through)

Oh when the Red
Come skating in
Oh when the Red come skating in
Oh I want to be there in Lynah
When the Red come skating in

Re: "When The Red Come Skating In"
Posted by: Dunc (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 12:12AM

Love this!

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 12:39AM

Love the undergrad enthusiasm, but please spend most of your energy saving the traditions COVID ruined, rather than inventing new things. Why doesn’t the student section sing after “Gary glitter” 2nd intermission anymore?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 12:46AM

CU2007
Love the undergrad enthusiasm, but please spend most of your energy saving the traditions COVID ruined, rather than inventing new things. Why doesn’t the student section sing after “Gary glitter” 2nd intermission anymore?
I think it’s because the band starts playing too early now. By the time the third period begins, the band has already finished all the verses. The fans singing was my absolute favorite cheer when I was a student. Maybe you’d have success restoring this tradition if you contacted someone in the band.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2023 12:49AM by BearLover.

Date: March 18, 2023 12:56AM

BearLover
CU2007
I think it’s because the band starts playing too early now. By the time the third period begins, the band has already finished all the verses. The fans singing was my absolute favorite cheer when I was a student. Maybe you’d have success restoring this tradition if you contacted someone in the band.

Dunc, I think you’d find a lot of people who would echo this about the students singing while the 3rd period gets underway. Make it your legacy to find a way to bring this back.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 01:05AM

CU2007
BearLover
CU2007

Dunc, I think you’d find a lot of people who would echo this about the students singing while the 3rd period gets underway. Make it your legacy to find a way to bring this back.
Also, FWIW, COVID ruined a lot of things related to the hockey program, but I think this was already happening pre-COVID.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2023 09:29AM

HeafDog

Oh when the Red
Come skating in

I suspect this has something to do with the reduction in road trips, but this would feel wrong to anyone who'd been to a game at St. Lawrence/with an SLU band present.

But then I feel the same way about sports teams in the state of New York playing "Sweet Caroline".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 18, 2023 09:37AM

CU2007
Love the undergrad enthusiasm, but please spend most of your energy saving the traditions COVID ruined, rather than inventing new things.

"Undergrad enthusiasm"? Sorry, I don't follow you. I celebrate my 25th reunion this summer.

I can assure you I know all about our traditions. And I agree with you that they should be kept alive. On the other hand, they are a living, breathing thing. For better or for worse, they are dynamic, not static. But understand that I am not changing existing traditions in any way, I am simply trying to inject what I believe is much needed variety into our existing trisyllabic repertoire.

I knew I should have provided more context when I posted this. It was late. I posted this because, let's just say I introduced the Lake Placid crowd to this idea last night, and I wanted to provide the words in case anyone is interested. I can see you're not, but I know that at least Dunc is, and others at last night's game reacted positively to it as well.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 09:41AM

HeafDog
CU2007
Love the undergrad enthusiasm, but please spend most of your energy saving the traditions COVID ruined, rather than inventing new things.

"Undergrad enthusiasm"? Sorry, I don't follow you. I celebrate my 25th reunion this summer.

I can assure you I know all about our traditions. And I agree with you that they should be kept alive. On the other hand, they are a living, breathing thing. For better or for worse, they are dynamic, not static. But understand that I am not changing existing traditions in any way, I am simply trying to inject what I believe is much needed variety into our existing trisyllabic repertoire.

I knew I should have provided more context when I posted this. It was late. I posted this because, let's just say I introduced the Lake Placid crowd to this idea last night, and I wanted to provide the words in case anyone is interested. I can see you're not, but I know that at least Dunc is, and others at last night's game reacted positively to it as well.

Nice pipes there. Do you sing with any campus group?

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 10:06AM

jtwcornell91
HeafDog

Oh when the Red
Come skating in

I suspect this has something to do with the reduction in road trips, but this would feel wrong to anyone who'd been to a game at St. Lawrence/with an SLU band present.

But then I feel the same way about sports teams in the state of New York playing "Sweet Caroline".

Even without the band (the best version was put together by an oboist) the organ or recording plays it.

Good to see HeafDog checking back in!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2023 10:08AM by RichH.

Posted by: Dunc (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 11:31AM

CU2007
BearLover
CU2007

Just so everyone’s aware, I’m an undergrad (junior) but I’ve been going to Cornell hockey since I was very young cuz my older sister came here. This is why I’m more enthusiastic than the average undergrad and why I’m pushing for keeping our traditions alive as much as I can.

It is a more difficult task than you can imagine nowadays tho. In fact I’m not sure who heard about this, but when laserwhisperer and I made cheer sheets for the Harvard game to spread the word, lynah staff was not happy because they were afraid they’d get thrown onto the ice. Additionally, students nowadays are trying to learn as much as possible but the issue is over like 2/3 the student tickets aren’t season ticket holders and there is a *lot* of turnover on who has been to a game before in those 2/3 each game so it’s very difficult to get chants to stick and carry over game to game.

However, through advertising on social media pages and pushing ppl to learn, I feel we had a vast improvement from the beginning of the year in terms of collective student knowledge on chants and I do think it showed. Me and many others are truly trying our best to keep stuff alive.

In regards to singing Gary glitter, as I mentioned before, I’ve been going to games for quite a while (obv not as long as most of the seasoned veterans of elynah, but a long time in terms of undergrads), so I definitely understand how powerful it felt in lynah when the crowd would carry it on acapella during the start of the period and I’ve also tried before to get the band to switch back to starting closer to the start of the period. My understanding after I’ve talked with the band many times is that they’ve been told they have to finish all the verses before puck drop (as BearLover mentioned) because someone important (not sure if it’s someone affiliated with Cornell/Lynah, on ice officials, or higher-ups) told them it is distracting to play. In fact I’m sure many of those who were also at lake placid yesterday can attest to the fact that if the band forgets to start it at the right time, they just play it at a fast enough/sped-up pace to finish before puck drop.

On occasion they mess up and play it too slow so we end up getting to acapella the last few lines in during play of game, but majority of time the last few seasons, they get all verses done even if they have to speed through them, because I believe they’ve been told they have to.

Posted by: David Harding (76.150.68.---)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:46PM

It's certainly true that the band is not allowed to play while the puck is in action, but there is no restriction on vocalizing within limits of decency.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:56PM

David Harding
It's certainly true that the band is not allowed to play while the puck is in action, but there is no restriction on vocalizing within limits of decency.

But if the band was told to make sure they finish early enough that there is no acapela singing, that just sucks.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-231-53.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 06:10PM

marty
David Harding

But if the band was told to make sure they finish early enough that there is no acapela singing, that just sucks.

If the band was told this it was what...three or four years ago, at least, right? Different band leaders, lousy institutional memory, etc. What's the worst that can happen if they try again? Someone says, "We told you four years ago...", and the band says, "Whoops. Our bad."

Seriously...seems like they don't have a lot to lose by trying.

Posted by: BMac (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 06:18PM

If you’re an undergrad, feel free to ignore what all us old timers say. Make your own traditions! Revive old ones! It doesn’t matter, so long as you’re there, loud, and ideally clever.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2023 06:18PM by BMac.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 06:25PM

A little hard to believe that the band has been prohibited from starting songs they can't finish before play begins (even if they stop as soon as the puck is dropped) but that the tubas continue to do their thing - i.e., prompting the students to scream die, drop dead, and go home during play (and from behind the opponent's bench).

The a capella stopped when the band scuttled Gonna Fly Now at the start of the third and started with Glitter instead. And it stopped at the same time no matter where Cornell played - Lynah, MSG, etc. Gonna Fly Now was also one of the best moments of the game as a fan and really set the tone for an epic third period. Really a shame that it's gone.

Other solution to this issue - make Gary Glitter three rounds.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: March 18, 2023 06:39PM

LGR14
The a capella stopped when the band scuttled Gonna Fly Now at the start of the third and started with Glitter instead. And it stopped at the same time no matter where Cornell played - Lynah, MSG, etc. Gonna Fly Now was also one of the best moments of the game as a fan and really set the tone for an epic third period. Really a shame that it's gone.

Don't get me started. It was psychological conditioning to put our players in the right zone for the third period, and I'm not particularly sure why the band stopped.

Of course, I also wish we still came flying out of the door by the scoreboard end of the rink, but the renovations nixed that. Both bad changes, IMNSHO.

Date: March 18, 2023 08:25PM

HeafDog
CU2007

Sorry, I thought Dunc posted the idea and knew he was an undergrad.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 08:30PM

Dunc

In fact I’m sure many of those who were also at lake placid yesterday can attest to the fact that if the band forgets to start it at the right time, they just play it at a fast enough/sped-up pace to finish before puck drop.

That was just fucking awful, IMHO.

Why even bother?

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2023 08:46PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dunc

In fact I’m sure many of those who were also at lake placid yesterday can attest to the fact that if the band forgets to start it at the right time, they just play it at a fast enough/sped-up pace to finish before puck drop.

That was just fucking awful, IMHO.

Why even bother?

Yeah I agree. barely worth it at that point tbh.

My point was just that them speeding it up when they forget to start on time is proof that they have been told they need to finish the whole song before the game starts (Also I can try to convince them again for next season, but this year I did mention it to them like twice but they never changed back to the old way)

Date: March 18, 2023 10:02PM

marty

Thank you kindly. Yeah, I was in the Waiters.

Date: March 18, 2023 10:05PM

BMac
If you’re an undergrad, feel free to ignore what all us old timers say. Make your own traditions! Revive old ones! It doesn’t matter, so long as you’re there, loud, and ideally clever.

Agreed, and very well put! Dunc, with respect to the thread topic in particular, it's in your hands. I'll try to make it to a home weekend next season but who knows.

Date: March 18, 2023 10:15PM

jtwcornell91

Yeah, that definitely crossed my mind. But then I reasoned that with such hits as "Kill, Red, Kill", the bar is pretty low. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Date: March 18, 2023 10:18PM

RichH
Good to see HeafDog checking back in!

HIGH FIVE :-D

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 02:24PM

Scersk '97
LGR14

Don't get me started. It was psychological conditioning to put our players in the right zone for the third period, and I'm not particularly sure why the band stopped.

Of course, I also wish we still came flying out of the door by the scoreboard end of the rink, but the renovations nixed that. Both bad changes, IMNSHO.

This.

The feel started changing when the team went from skating on the ice from the old locker room to just coming down to the bench.

Gonna fly now/Gary glitter was never about timing things to end at a point. It was about starting in sync with the first skate on the ice and running more or less until puck dropped, which would vary a bit every night.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2023 09:07PM

HeafDog
marty

Thank you kindly. Yeah, I was in the Waiters.
I was 3 rows and half a section away and you were note perfect. Great job!

Date: March 19, 2023 09:13PM

CU2007

Stop.

As the resident Old Curmudgeonly Asshole, I will take care of the Committee for Preservation of the Old Ways, thank you.

Things have always changed over the 40+ seasons I have been a fan, and the 20+ before then. Some changes are great. Some are terrible (bend over, jeopardy, the endless masturbatory "you just suck" ePacifier chant). The crowd eventually separates the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes it takes a decade. Sometimes what was once brilliant no longer fits the new spirit of the age.

There are wonderful things from the 80s and 90s I miss, just as there are from the 60s and 70s for the dirty hippies among us. They had their day and they pass. No given cheer is the Lynah Faithful. It's a living Constitution, so long as the students are driving it, and balancing tradition with innovation.

Don't try to fix it in amber, that will surely kill it.

Panta rei
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2023 06:01AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 19, 2023 11:25PM

Trotsky
There are wonderful things from the 80s and 90s I miss, just as there are from the 60s and 70s the dirty hippies among us miss.

This may be better for a different thread, but here is probably fine too

Not necessarily for revival purposes, but more for my own curiosity, what are some of peoples fav traditions from 60s-90s that died off over time

Date: March 19, 2023 11:39PM

Dunc
Trotsky
There are wonderful things from the 80s and 90s I miss, just as there are from the 60s and 70s the dirty hippies among us miss.

Not necessarily for revival purposes, but more for my own curiosity, what are some of peoples fav traditions from 60s-90s that died off over time

I miss throwing sieves on the ice after a goal.

And the "hey sieve, xyz called..." chant went on far too long, especially since nobody could even hear what they were saying. It was just a 20 second pause followed by "You suck!" ad infinitum.

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: March 19, 2023 11:40PM

Is this done in a call-and-response manner like it would be done at a soccer game?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 12:38AM

I miss that the chants, like "it's all your fault" are not slow and powerful like they used to be. now they are done at near techno speed. Totally kills the echo.

Pretty sure ethe blame for this goes to athletics; when section c went to the townies in the late 80s or whenever it was, there was no longer a cheer starter type in lower c to conduct everything

Date: March 20, 2023 06:10AM

abmarks
I miss that the chants, like "it's all your fault" are not slow and powerful like they used to be. now they are done at near techno speed. Totally kills the echo.

Pretty sure ethe blame for this goes to athletics; when section c went to the townies in the late 80s or whenever it was, there was no longer a cheer starter type in lower c to conduct everything
The C discontinuity did not help. But that has been rectified and I am hopeful we'll have a strongly united "student side" again, eventually.

(Gets out cane) "There was a time" when the small section B cadre did not just disappear up its own asshole, and there were cheers that originated throughout the building. Cheers would start up during play; particularly leather-lunged students would originate something clever and it would catch on, and if it was good enough it would be repeated. That's how all the traditions began. The cowbell had a washboard. Things were less formulaic, and the students were more engaged and active, and not just waiting for the same cues from the same self-appointed leaders every night.

The things that used to occur in the spaces between the action were like a private joke shared among all the Faithful. "It's the notes he doesn't play." -- Lisa. While the ePacifiers are here forever, the students have still not figured out how to both use them with their amazing potential but not be swallowed into their solipsism. They are distracted and they miss what used to be all the fun. No doubt they are enjoying themselves personally now, whereas the crowd experience was a church congregation. That mutuality is all but gone. You had to be there to know what I mean.

The experience changes over time, and the Olds are no longer comfortable; that is a given. Iggy Pop said if your parents like your music you aren't doing it right. Lynah Life finds a way. The best advice I have is for people who miss the traditions to get a few people together and give restarting them a shot. Hell, to the students they will be brand new ideas, and maybe they'll catch. And to today's undergrads (he says to an eLynah user base whose median age is 70): just do your thing and don't give a shit about what we think. To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2023 06:20AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.58.109.---)
Date: March 20, 2023 01:58PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I miss throwing sieves on the ice after a goal.

And the "hey sieve, xyz called..." chant went on far too long, especially since nobody could even hear what they were saying. It was just a 20 second pause followed by "You suck!" ad infinitum.

I loved those. They were a staple of the games I went to in the early 2010's. Unfortunately, if you weren't near sections A and B (and I was never a season ticket holder, so very rarely was I in those sections), then you couldn't hear much of it

Posted by: HeafDog (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 03:21PM

French Rage
Is this done in a call-and-response manner like it would be done at a soccer game?

It _can_ be, but I figured we'd just let it develop on its own. Meaning, if that's the way we end up doing it, (shrug) I guess that's fine. I think what's more important is to sing it in unison, as a full voiced crowd, SLOWLY, at least one time through. After that it would be okay for the inevitable Alvin and the Chipmunks Effect to take place.

(Singing something like this together -- at least one time through, slowly -- as a crowd would be totally boss.)

But since I hardly ever make it to home games, it's obviously completely out of my control. I'll try to fire it up whenever I do make it to games, but those are usually on the road, so what happens at Lynah... Well, you get the idea.

Date: March 20, 2023 03:56PM

HeafDog
But since I hardly ever make it to home games, it's obviously completely out of my control. I'll try to fire it up whenever I do make it to games, but those are usually on the road, so what happens at Lynah... Well, you get the idea.

I’ll get it going next season :)

Posted by: 75er (---.mass.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2023 05:58PM

Dunc
Trotsky

One of my favorite memories from the early 70's was Ozzie Richardson's air horn.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2023 06:26PM

Dunc
Trotsky

A couple that I enjoyed that aren't coming back:

--"Fight, Maim, Kill" to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
--The Black Hole Cheer, followed by total silence after, the only "You Just Suck."

And a new one that needs to die a quick death: just what are the students thinking in starting "Free (Name of Cornell player who just got called for a penalty)" The only way he's getting "free" is if the other team scores. This actually happened once during a "Free O'Leary" cheer. Yet even that wasn't enough to kill this abomination of a cheer.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 06:38PM

"ref beats his wife" is one long gone, and good riddance. Sadly, 3 blind mice is gone, with the addition of the fourth official. Long Diiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee always bothered me, but I've lived with it.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-233-194.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2023 07:57PM

The Rancor
"ref beats his wife" is one long gone, and good riddance. Sadly, 3 blind mice is gone, with the addition of the fourth official. Long Diiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee always bothered me, but I've lived with it.

Combining that cheer with the other distasteful “the ref f*cks sheep” into “the ref beats his sheep” did amuse me.

Date: March 20, 2023 08:49PM

JasonN95
The Rancor

Combining that cheer with the other distasteful “the ref f*cks sheep” into “the ref beats his sheep” did amuse me.

His wife beats the ref.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 09:02PM

JasonN95
The Rancor

My Dad, a 9 year old me, with a bemused look on his face, "Welllll...."

Posted by: Weder (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 20, 2023 10:32PM

Trotsky
abmarks

The C discontinuity did not help. But that has been rectified and I am hopeful we'll have a strongly united "student side" again, eventually.

(Gets out cane) "There was a time" when the small section B cadre did not just disappear up its own asshole, and there were cheers that originated throughout the building. Cheers would start up during play; particularly leather-lunged students would originate something clever and it would catch on, and if it was good enough it would be repeated. That's how all the traditions began. The cowbell had a washboard. Things were less formulaic, and the students were more engaged and active, and not just waiting for the same cues from the same self-appointed leaders every night.

The things that used to occur in the spaces between the action were like a private joke shared among all the Faithful. "It's the notes he doesn't play." -- Lisa. While the ePacifiers are here forever, the students have still not figured out how to both use them with their amazing potential but not be swallowed into their solipsism. They are distracted and they miss what used to be all the fun. No doubt they are enjoying themselves personally now, whereas the crowd experience was a church congregation. That mutuality is all but gone. You had to be there to know what I mean.

The experience changes over time, and the Olds are no longer comfortable; that is a given. Iggy Pop said if your parents like your music you aren't doing it right. Lynah Life finds a way. The best advice I have is for people who miss the traditions to get a few people together and give restarting them a shot. Hell, to the students they will be brand new ideas, and maybe they'll catch. And to today's undergrads (he says to an eLynah user base whose median age is 70): just do your thing and don't give a shit about what we think. To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

In the mid-90s, when the student sections were sparsely populated at times, there were a few intrepid souls who really struck out on their own and would heckle the hell out of individual opponents. The one that I remember the most was a guy who just laid into UVM's French Connection in their native language. I think it was that type of behavior that really led Schafer to want to crack down on the student sections in his first season, though.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 08:38AM

JasonN95
The Rancor

On at least one occasion, that morphed back into "the ref f*cks his wife," which made me chuckle.

Date: March 21, 2023 10:44PM

Trotsky
CU2007

Stop.

As the resident Old Curmudgeonly Asshole, I will take care of the Committee for Preservation of the Old Ways, thank you.

Things have always changed over the 40+ seasons I have been a fan, and the 20+ before then. Some changes are great. Some are terrible (bend over, jeopardy, the endless masturbatory "you just suck" ePacifier chant). The crowd eventually separates the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes it takes a decade. Sometimes what was once brilliant no longer fits the new spirit of the age.

There are wonderful things from the 80s and 90s I miss, just as there are from the 60s and 70s for the dirty hippies among us. They had their day and they pass. No given cheer is the Lynah Faithful. It's a living Constitution, so long as the students are driving it, and balancing tradition with innovation.

Don't try to fix it in amber, that will surely kill it.

Panta rei

Fair enough. But bring back the 3rd period singing.

Date: March 23, 2023 06:05PM

HeafDog Legendary voice

Heard you singing decently loud on the ESPN+ broadcast - The announcers acknowledged you but unfortunately thought “when the red come skating in” was the Alma mater :D

Date: March 23, 2023 06:10PM

Dunc
HeafDog Legendary voice

Heard you singing decently loud on the ESPN+ broadcast - The announcers acknowledged you but unfortunately thought “when the red come skating in” was the Alma mater :D
These guys also think Denver is the #1 overall.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2023 06:27PM

Five minutes on Denver - definitely high hit.

Date: January 02, 2024 08:10PM

chimpfood
Are you the song guy?! May I ask what led you to start the chant?

I'll try to spare you a soliloquy. In a nutshell, after loving our antics for four years of undergrad, I had the good fortune of observing a couple of games of a different sport and much different fanbase, and wanted to bring a terrific aspect of it -- the delight of singing in unison and feeling like you're part of something -- back here. (Take, for example, Gary Glitter. It's many people's favorite; why not sing more?) In addition, I've realized that I value uniqueness quite highly and am not too keen on the fact that most American fanbases more or less sound the same: there's the doorbell chant, there's trisyllabic chants, and, with some exceptions, not a great deal else. Hence, as my first effort (of possibly more songs; the reaction to this one so far has been very positive), I came up with something pretty simple that I felt had a decent chance of catching on, and have been trying to make it a thing. Given my aversion to long drives and resulting infrequency of attending home games, I welcome others to try to keep it going; I intend to do so when I attend, mostly on the road, and hope that more people will sing along as time goes on.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 02, 2024 08:18PM

Love it, I figured the idea came from European soccer or something. Everyone I have talked to loves the chant but I’m not sure anybody else has the voice to replicate it honestly.

Date: January 03, 2024 05:07AM

HeafDog

... I've realized that I value uniqueness quite highly and am not too keen on the fact that most American fanbases more or less sound the same: there's the doorbell chant, there's trisyllabic chants, and, with some exceptions, not a great deal else. Hence, as my first effort (of possibly more songs; the reaction to this one so far has been very positive),

Yet you decided on the oh so derivative and unoriginal When the Red Come Skating In?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 05:07AM by abmarks.

Date: January 03, 2024 05:49AM

abmarks
HeafDog

... I've realized that I value uniqueness quite highly and am not too keen on the fact that most American fanbases more or less sound the same: there's the doorbell chant, there's trisyllabic chants, and, with some exceptions, not a great deal else. Hence, as my first effort (of possibly more songs; the reaction to this one so far has been very positive),

Yet you decided on the oh so derivative and unoriginal When the Red Come Skating In?

Relatively speaking, with respect to current American fanbases' repertoires, yes, I do feel it's unique (enough). And I had to balance that with simplicity and recognizability. That is, uniqueness wasn't the only factor.

Maybe the word I was looking for was "variety".
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 05:51AM by HeafDog.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 03, 2024 10:19AM

abmarks
HeafDog

Pointless dickishness is my schtick. Get your own.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 10:20AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 04, 2024 04:01AM

Trotsky
abmarks
HeafDog

Pointless dickishness is my schtick. Get your own.

Hardly pointless. I've been critical of that tune ever since it first got mentioned on here.

ANd, to heafdog...as several pointed out way back when you first introduced that ditty, it's not even unique to the league. SLU?

Date: January 04, 2024 08:06AM

abmarks
ANd, to heafdog...as several pointed out way back when you first introduced that ditty, it's not even unique to the league. SLU?

SLU chants "SLU". But we should continue to chant "Let's Go Red", right?

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. While not ideal, this nonetheless has energized people, injected some much-needed variety, and is a step in the right direction.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: January 04, 2024 12:04PM

HeafDog
abmarks

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. While not ideal, this nonetheless has energized people, injected some much-needed variety, and is a step in the right direction.

This is how I’ve come to see the 3rd period Tuba serenade after it changed to “Over There.” Is it perfect? No. But it’s something that keeps spice, uniqueness, and variety in play. And noise and energy and engagement. That’s the important stuff.

Glad to hear HeafDog is still bringing the ruckus in person.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: January 04, 2024 12:23PM

RichH
HeafDog
abmarks

This is how I’ve come to see the 3rd period Tuba serenade after it changed to “Over There.” Is it perfect? No. But it’s something that keeps spice, uniqueness, and variety in play. And noise and energy and engagement. That’s the important stuff.

Glad to hear HeafDog is still bringing the ruckus in person.

This. I'm not a big fan of some of the stuff from "kids these days" but I much prefer it to silence, disengagement, and the Quinnipiac experience.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 05, 2024 09:57PM

Personally I appreciate all efforts. Bring back the students singing Gary Glitter as the puck drops to start the third!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login