Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate @ Cornell

Posted by scoop85 
Colgate @ Cornell
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2023 09:20PM

Since I started the Union thread and that turned out halfway decently, I thought I’d give it another go. Colgate has been an enigma this season, getting swept against Niagara and losing to both RPI and Union at home, but beating QU and coming within a minute of a sweep against Harvard. Hopefully our guys will be ready to go and will have last year’s poor results against Colgate as some extra motivation.

Re: Colgate @ Cornell
Posted by: coz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2023 09:21AM

They also go swept by a pretty mediocre NMU team and a bad UVM team (if you count the SO). It does feel like for Vaughan's team that if the goaltending isn't good the team isn't good. Gylander is pretty good, so I'd expect a close game. On the other hand, I don't think their defense is very good and outside of the Youngs they don't have a lot of offensive firepower.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2023 05:19PM

Sorry I've been slacking with my thread creations/line postings since winter break as I was pretty sick - thanks everyone for making them

Not to be critical, but could u perhaps add the date to the thread name

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-241.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2023 07:21PM

Well, that looked like an obvious matching minor to me but what do I know.

Posted by: ER (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2023 07:24PM

1-0 Colgate

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2023 07:26PM

The refs just spotted Colgate the opening goal. That never, ever, ever gets called as a roughing penalty on one team in the NHL (or any league with reputable refereeing).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 07:26PM by BearLover.

Posted by: JohnF81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2023 07:36PM

Yes, total bullshit call

Date: February 10, 2023 07:41PM

Underwhelming period, especially lethargic on the power play. Seems all too similar to our games with toothpaste last year

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: February 10, 2023 07:42PM

BearLover
The refs just spotted Colgate the opening goal. That never, ever, ever gets called as a roughing penalty on one team in the NHL (or any league with reputable refereeing).

Never mind the rampant interference everywhere. Cutters getting interfered with, something Harvard likes to do as well, is a pet peeve.

Date: February 10, 2023 07:59PM

Cornell 1 Colgate 1
Tupker

Date: February 10, 2023 08:01PM

Cornell 2 colgate 1
Penney

Date: February 10, 2023 08:04PM

Cornell 3 Colgate 1
Mack

Sheesh

Date: February 10, 2023 08:05PM

Beautiful goal by Mack!

Date: February 10, 2023 08:37PM

Cornell controlled much of the 2nd period, and Colgate couldn’t handle our size and tenacity in their defensive zone. But the few times Colgate got things going in the Cornell zone they had some sustained pressure and Shane had to make a few very strong saves.

Date: February 10, 2023 08:46PM

I’d like to go back and watch the footage to determine who on Colgate is on the ice when they have sustained possession in the Cornell zone. Colgate is frontloaded with not much depth beyond their top line. I‘m curious to know if their top line was on the ice at these points. Because other than these few Colgate possessions when Cornell looked really sloppy and on its heels, possession was all Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 08:47PM by BearLover.

Date: February 10, 2023 09:20PM

Cornell 3 Colgate 2 PPG

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: February 10, 2023 09:37PM

ER
Cornell 3 Colgate 2 PPG

It's amazing that Colgate was able to score 2 PPGs give that, according to the graphics, their Power Play was functioning at only 0.211 % :-D

Date: February 10, 2023 09:40PM

We clinch a bye with a win tomorrow.

Date: February 10, 2023 09:46PM

The Young line seemed to be on the ice for half the game. Playing against Colgate is like playing against Harvard—one skilled line that gets way overshifted and the rest of the team doesn’t produce much. Except Colgate’s top line isn’t as good as the Farrell line for Harvard and the rest of Colgate’s lineup is a step behind the rest of Harvard’s. But similar concept.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2023 10:00PM

Great crowd, exciting game. Now to ship off to Hamilton tomorrow.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2023 10:03PM

I thought we played very well in the first tbh, just couldn't break through. The second was fantastic. I didn't get to watch the third until the last few minutes and the final 9.2 seconds felt like an hour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2023 12:34AM by ugarte.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2023 11:16PM

chimpfood

Nice win and somehow we're #10 in the pairwise. We beat Colgate, Harvard beats Dartmouth and we overtake Hatvard. At least that's what the CHN calculator says on my phone.

Date: February 10, 2023 11:21PM

marty
chimpfood

Nice win and somehow we're #10 in the pairwise. We beat Colgate, Harvard beats Dartmouth and we overtake Hatvard. At least that's what the CHN calculator says on my phone.

Beating Colgate flipped the common opponents category from a tie to a win for us. We'll need to win or tie tomorrow to keep that, unless Harvard loses or ties too.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 10, 2023 11:55PM

Mtech lost tonight and plays Mich tomorrow.. another PWR that could help in the long run ins ND and MSU both on the edge of being under .500

Posted by: DL (109.78.47.---)
Date: February 11, 2023 05:00AM

ER
Cornell 1 Colgate 1
Tupker
At first, I thought it was off the d-man's stick, but considering the bounce, it looks like it came incidentally off Tupker's skate.
video: [imgur.com]

Date: February 11, 2023 07:31AM

upprdeck
Mtech lost tonight and plays Mich tomorrow.. another PWR that could help in the long run ins ND and MSU both on the edge of being under .500
….

Michigan Tech plays Bowling Green again today. It’s Michigan State that plays Michigan again tonight.

Date: February 11, 2023 09:20AM

the 2 teams got pretty chippy at the end last night. surprised nothing was called after the game other than the slash.

gonna be tougher on the road if we dont get a few of those nice chances to go in and continue to let Colgate hand around.

Date: February 11, 2023 09:24AM

Check out the near goal at 12:25 of the highlights video.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2023 09:27AM by marty.

Date: February 11, 2023 09:38AM

marty

I just dont get how dumb athletics is to show these replays in real time during a live game.

Colgate had no TO the only way to get the refs to challenge was to ask, but seeing a replay that shows how close it was makes it much easier to get a ref to do a challange and if a team has a TO they might challenge and then who knows..

the replay showed it hit post and also go down the line under the legs.. It looked like it stayed out live, but you never really know until you see a good replay and why give a team a chance to see one and change its mind on doing it.

Its happend 2-3 times this yr already like that

Be smart show replays on stuff like that for Cornell to help our team not the other team.

Date: February 11, 2023 10:14AM

upprdeck
marty

I just dont get how dumb athletics is to show these replays in real time during a live game.

Colgate had no TO the only way to get the refs to challenge was to ask, but seeing a replay that shows how close it was makes it much easier to get a ref to do a challange and if a team has a TO they might challenge and then who knows..

the replay showed it hit post and also go down the line under the legs.. It looked like it stayed out live, but you never really know until you see a good replay and why give a team a chance to see one and change its mind on doing it.

Be smart show replays on stuff like that for Cornell to help our team not the other team.

If you're talking about whoever is running the video board in the arena then yes, they shouldn't be playing that. But if you're talking about the broadcast? I see you guys on here complain consistently about the broadcast and now you're asking for them to make it worse?

Date: February 11, 2023 10:24AM

coz
upprdeck
marty

If you're talking about whoever is running the video board in the arena then yes, they shouldn't be playing that. But if you're talking about the broadcast? I see you guys on here complain consistently about the broadcast and now you're asking for them to make it worse?

I think, though I'm not sure, that when the broadcast shows replays, they're just showing whatever on the screen in the rink.

Date: February 11, 2023 10:31AM

Dafatone
coz
upprdeck
marty

I think, though I'm not sure, that when the broadcast shows replays, they're just showing whatever on the screen in the rink.

I was at the RPI and Union games. The scoreboard didn't show the replays of the goals. There was some Cornell logo of sorts blocking our view in the rink. I can't testify that all the replays are blocked. I was only interested in seeing the goals.

Date: February 11, 2023 10:33AM

coz
upprdeck
marty

yes in the rink itself.. but they cant even make an edible hot dog at athletics so why would i expect video to make sense.

and added to that. what the heck happened to the replay board in the last couple of weeks.. panels broken, missing, hanging loose, holes in them.. looks awful

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 11:12AM

upprdeck
the 2 teams got pretty chippy at the end last night. surprised nothing was called after the game other than the slash.

gonna be tougher on the road if we dont get a few of those nice chances to go in and continue to let Colgate hand around.

Quite right. We didn't have much puck luck last night in hitting 3 posts, and Schafer's comments in the game summary shows he wasn't thrilled with our overall game. We did enough last night to pull out the win, but this is Colgate's biggest home game of the year and about the only one that they get a few fans in the stands for, so we'll have to raise our level of play. We especially have to avoid dopey penalties, as Colgate's has some skilled guys who are dangerous on the power play.

Date: February 11, 2023 11:14AM

upprdeck
coz
upprdeck
marty

yes in the rink itself.. but they cant even make an edible hot dog at athletics so why would i expect video to make sense.

and added to that. what the heck happened to the replay board in the last couple of weeks.. panels broken, missing, hanging loose, holes in them.. looks awful
The video board wasn’t showing replays at all in the games I caught at Lynah this year. Seemed broken.

Date: February 11, 2023 11:24AM

BearLover
upprdeck
coz
upprdeck
marty

The video board wasn’t showing replays at all in the games I caught at Lynah this year. Seemed broken.

I don't think broken is the word. No video replays in the rink seemed to be a decision that agrees with the premise of not giving the opposition a reason to ask for a review.

Date: February 11, 2023 11:26AM

replays are fine.. just dont show replays of things that could lead to penalties or goals until after the plays are done. big hits are nice as well but when a marginal one happens dont let the refs have a reason to go to video review and make it a 5..

Date: February 11, 2023 12:04PM

Dafatone

It's the opposite actually. The broadcast will show a lot more replays especially of road team goals. The video board just pulls the broadcast feed. So that's entirely on the video board operator for showing that.

upprdeck
replays are fine.. just dont show replays of things that could lead to penalties or goals until after the plays are done. big hits are nice as well but when a marginal one happens dont let the refs have a reason to go to video review and make it a 5..

Okay glad to have that cleared up. I apologize if I came off rude. Sometimes I get frustrated when I see people complaining about the broadcasts and making incorrect assumptions about how the production is being run.

I am all for roasting the athletic department for their decision-making.

Date: February 11, 2023 12:12PM

marty
BearLover
upprdeck
coz
upprdeck
marty

I don't think broken is the word. No video replays in the rink seemed to be a decision that agrees with the premise of not giving the opposition a reason to ask for a review.
But I don’t think that was the reason/intent behind not showing replays. I believe the replay functionality was broken, because literally zero replays were shown the entire game (whereas during other games ample replays were shown).

Date: February 11, 2023 12:25PM

BearLover
marty
BearLover
upprdeck
coz
upprdeck
marty

But I don’t think that was the reason/intent behind not showing replays. I believe the replay functionality was broken, because literally zero replays were shown the entire game (whereas during other games ample replays were shown).

I'm not following you because you are not specifying which game(s) you are referring to. I mentioned seeing no replays of goals on the Lynah screen on 2/3 & 2/4.

I then guessed the coaching staff was smart enough to request no replays in the rink during the game.

Which game are you speaking of?

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 12:30PM

Incredible energy by Cornell against Colgate, especially the second period. They really hustled. By game's end, the shots advantage opened to 29-13 in Cornell's favor. Felt as if this should have been a 4-1 game.

Sam Malinkski rang a shot off the post in the second period, didn't go in, and his points streak ended at 10 games.

This game the power play favored Colgate: both goals to none for Cornell. I suspect the roughness may extend to tonight's game at Colgate.

Re the discussion of whether or not to show replays:
* The fans see more of the game
* If all important replays are on the big (if pixellated) screen, then both coaches can make more intelligent judgments on when to challenge. Don Vaughn perhaps would not have called a timeout after Cornell's quick runup to the 3-0 lead.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2023 12:50PM by billhoward.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-233-196.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 12:44PM

marty

Thanks for this long form highlights video. Nice to see the build up and celebration afterwards for the goals.

Date: February 11, 2023 12:55PM

JasonN95
marty

Thanks for this long form highlights video. Nice to see the build up and celebration afterwards for the goals.

I'm "channeling" the NCHC format.burnout

Date: February 11, 2023 01:33PM

marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover
upprdeck
coz
upprdeck
marty

I'm not following you because you are not specifying which game(s) you are referring to. I mentioned seeing no replays of goals on the Lynah screen on 2/3 & 2/4.

I then guessed the coaching staff was smart enough to request no replays in the rink during the game.

Which game are you speaking of?
Harvard and Dartmouth

Date: February 11, 2023 01:40PM

Cornell is very fortunate the refs are not calling penalties for fans throwing objects onto the ice. The fish against Harvard and the tubes of toothpaste against Colgate were repeatedly thrown after the game had started, at the beginning/end of periods, following goals, etc. In the Harvard game, a number of objects hit or nearly hit the opposing players on the ice, including a water bottle which nearly hit several
players as Harvard was celebrating its OT winner. The way the water bottle fell to the ice, it looked to be at least somewhat full, i.e. with the potential to cause injury were it to hit a player in the head. Last night against Colgate, someone threw a tube of toothpaste that hit the Colgate goalie in the head during a stoppage in play.

It’s only a matter of time before the refs call a penalty on Cornell for objects being thrown on the ice, or worse, a player gets injured. The Cornell fans have been acting like drunk animals at these games. I don’t have a solution for this issue.

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2023 02:31PM

We can be the fanbase with the most fearsome reputation or we can be obedient children. We can’t have it both ways.

Date: February 11, 2023 02:35PM

shafer
We can be the fanbase with the most fearsome reputation or we can be obedient children. We can’t have it both ways.
Yes you can. Just throw the objects before the game starts and then not again. In any event, Cornell fans had better figure out how to “have it both ways” or Cornell is going to start being penalized.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2023 03:17PM

BearLover
It’s only a matter of time before the refs call a penalty on Cornell for objects being thrown on the ice, or worse, a player gets injured. The Cornell fans have been acting like drunk animals at these games. I don’t have a solution for this issue.

Not necessarily a solution, but the refs ought to be enforcing the rule and calling this. Putting your own team on a PK should be a situation fans want to avoid. It probably won't change things immediately, but at some point you'll have a situation like the Harvard game during the 1994-95 season, which I remember to this day. Cornell fans did the usual heaving of stuff on the ice during the intros, the refs had the warning announced that any further throwing of objects would result in a minor against the home team, then a couple nimrods threw stuff during the first intermission which resulted in a penalty. Harvard scored on the ensuing PP, the first goal in a 2-1 Cornell loss.

The real solution, of course, is for the fans to knock it off. Hopefully they will, as otherwise it's a safe bet that some higher-up will decide that the problem needs to be solved with "more enforcement" and we'll be back to having people tossed out of the arena.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: February 11, 2023 08:27PM

You can’t penalize noise is all I’m saying.

“In my day…” Colgate game was a nothing-burger and we didn’t throw anything. Now it’s “hey we’re entitled to throw shit for these games, so come.” Maybe start Tennis balls at Princeton and you could get even more attendance.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2023 08:31PM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.57.---)
Date: February 11, 2023 08:39PM

billhoward
Incredible energy by Cornell against Colgate, especially the second period. They really hustled. By game's end, the shots advantage opened to 29-13 in Cornell's favor. Felt as if this should have been a 4-1 game.

Sam Malinkski rang a shot off the post in the second period, didn't go in, and his points streak ended at 10 games.

This game the power play favored Colgate: both goals to none for Cornell. I suspect the roughness may extend to tonight's game at Colgate.

Re the discussion of whether or not to show replays:
* The fans see more of the game
* If all important replays are on the big (if pixellated) screen, then both coaches can make more intelligent judgments on when to challenge. Don Vaughn perhaps would not have called a timeout after Cornell's quick runup to the 3-0 lead.

It was a 3-1 lead. 3-0 was tonight, but not for long.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 11, 2023 10:37PM

The refs are never going to actually give a delay of game for objects on the ice, if they were ever gonna they would’ve today. There were at least 4-5 stoppages after warnings due to thrown items and no penalty.

Date: February 12, 2023 08:53AM

RichH

“In my day…” Colgate game was a nothing-burger and we didn’t throw anything. Now it’s “hey we’re entitled to throw shit for these games, so come.” Maybe start Tennis balls at Princeton and you could get even more attendance.

actually you can... in fball they have called penalties on home teams for being too loud.

Date: February 12, 2023 08:53AM

chimpfood
The refs are never going to actually give a delay of game for objects on the ice, if they were ever gonna they would’ve today. There were at least 4-5 stoppages after warnings due to thrown items and no penalty.

you must have missed the games where it has happened at cornell.. several over the years i have seen,

Date: February 12, 2023 11:21AM

chimpfood
They called a penalty on the crowd for throwing objects on the ice in the middle of the third period of one of the Harvard games in the early 2010s.

Date: February 12, 2023 11:28AM

BearLover
chimpfood
They called a penalty on the crowd for throwing objects on the ice in the middle of the third period of one of the Harvard games in the early 2010s.

yup and one of the games I saw it, it was a Harvard fan who threw it on the ice from section O. Another time it came from the student section. Which could have easily happened this time, especially when you throw it at the team leaving the ice and almost hit the refs and the coaches.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.57.---)
Date: February 12, 2023 11:46AM

upprdeck
RichH

actually you can... in fball they have called penalties on home teams for being too loud.

Actually…who’s talking about football here?

Date: February 12, 2023 01:19PM

RichH
upprdeck
RichH

Actually…who’s talking about football here?

same rule applies in hockey.. if the band plays too loud or while play is going on. they dont penalize the away team for that. I wonder if they would when clarkson came into town.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 10:37PM

I wanna know how a water bottle is going to hurt a player wearing all the gear.

Fwiw-I agree shit shouldn’t be thrown on the ice after initial entrance by Harvard or a hat trick.

Date: February 12, 2023 10:39PM

toddlose

Fwiw-I agree shit shouldn’t be thrown on the ice after initial entrance by Harvard or a hat trick.
I’m no physics major, but wouldn’t a full (or mostly full) bottle or Dasani hurled from row 14 hit a player in the head with enough force to potentially cause injury?

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 10:41PM

BearLover
toddlose

I’m no physics major, but wouldn’t a full (or mostly full) bottle or Dasani hurled from row 14 hit a player in the head with enough force to potentially cause injury?

Honestly, I don’t think it would. Unless it was frozen (and that would be questionable). The guys are out there getting checked into the glass (where their heads are). The goalies take a puck off the helmet on shots pushing 100 mph at times. I don’t think a plastic bottle hurled by a fan even comes close to comparing what these guys see “inside” the boards. I could be wrong tho. Just my opinion.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2023 10:47PM by toddlose.

Date: February 13, 2023 08:02AM

toddlose
BearLover
toddlose

Honestly, I don’t think it would. Unless it was frozen (and that would be questionable). The guys are out there getting checked into the glass (where their heads are). The goalies take a puck off the helmet on shots pushing 100 mph at times. I don’t think a plastic bottle hurled by a fan even comes close to comparing what these guys see “inside” the boards. I could be wrong tho. Just my opinion.

Worst thread drift of the year? I'll add the category.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 12:25PM

Steps should be taken to persuade demented spectators they are not participants in the game, and they should not attempt to directly influence its outcome.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 03:14PM

marty
Worst thread drift of the year? I'll add the category.
well, it's only February. Per Faye Dunaway to Robert Redford in Three Days of the Condor: "The night is yet young."

Date: February 15, 2023 03:36PM

a movie that sucks me in every time i see it on.

speaking of which since the book is 6 days of the condor.. Did they leave a bunch out of the movie?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 03:37PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 04:46PM

I prefer to view it as a gallimaufry of tangentially related items, rather than drift.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login