Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Improvement in talent pool

Posted by scoop85 
Improvement in talent pool
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 10:45AM

Without reflecting on a bit of history, it’s easy to overlook that the depth of talent and level of skill on the team has taken a huge step forward the last half decade or so after seeing a dip following our great teams of the early 2000’s. We’ve been without Stienberg for some time and Donaldson was out this past weekend, but there’s no discernible drop off in our ability to roll four lines that can all generate offense. We had solid teams a decade ago, but other than our top line of Ferlin, Lowry, and McCarron, we had very little ability to score on a consistent basis. Guys like Rodger Craig and Armand de Swardt provided some physicality but were virtually no threat to score (and yes, I recall Craig scored the OT goal against Michigan, but that may have been his only goal that year). Around that time Union and Yale had already been recruiting for speed and skill, and we were routinely outclassed when facing those teams. While we struggled against Harvard last week, I think that wasn’t a true reflection on our ability to compete with them, notwithstanding their 15 NHL draft picks. We went toe-to-toe with a very talented BU team, and as good as QU may be, we’ve shown we can play with them.

As has been mentioned before, credit to Schafer and the staff for recognizing the changing landscape and retooling our recruiting to reflect the new era. Not only do we appear better suited to compete on a national level for years to come, but the team is so much more entertaining to watch than a decade ago.

Re: Improvement in talent pool
Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:08AM

The depth is remarkable. The scoring list is insanely balanced. Grady mentioned that the team had a flu bug going around last weekend which may have contributed to the H result. That game did seem anomalous and in any event by the metrics it should have been closer.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:10AM

Fascinating that some of the guys who almost literally never play get in on occasion and hold their own. Muzyka last year, O’Brien yesterday. A statement on the depth. Where’s Jimmy Rayhill?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:57AM

scoop85
and yes, I recall Craig scored the OT goal against Michigan, but that may have been his only goal that year

Oh, stop it!

He had 2.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 11:59AM

Rayhill and McIntyre either did not develop or they've had been hurt for 2 years. It happens.

Re: Improvement in talent pool but no Hobey
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 12:18PM

Depth of this Cornell team is really good.

The flip side is how often in this century we've gotten someone into the top echelon of players.
* Hobey Baker winner (not yet). Harvard has 4.
* Hobey Baker finalist group of 10 (7X since first year, 1981, most recently Morgan Barron),
* Hobey Hat Trick (final 3, added 2002, goaltenders David LeNeveu in 2003 and David McKee in 2005),
* ECAC player of the year (7X, most recently Morgan Barron 2020, also Doug Ferguson, Ken Dryden (sophomore year only), Lance Nethery, LeNeveu, McKee -- three this century). Harvard has 9, Cornell has 7 (same as St. Lawrence)
* NCAA All-America, first team since 2010: Ben Scrivens, Matthew Galajda, Brendon Nash, Morgan Barron. (2000-2009: 3 goalies (Underhill, LeNeveu, McKee), 2 D (Douglas Murray 2002, 2003), 0 F (Matt Moulson second team 2005).

Cornell PR on Hobey Baker: [cornellbigred.com]
ECAC player of the year: [en.wikipedia.org]
Cornell All-Amerians: [cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 01:31PM

Trotsky
scoop85
and yes, I recall Craig scored the OT goal against Michigan, but that may have been his only goal that year

Oh, stop it!

He had 2.

2 freshman year, 2 sophomore year, that was all, despite playing in 51 games after that. An OT goal to knock out Michigan being the final goal of your career. Good story to tell.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-226.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2023 07:19PM

I agree that the big difference between the teams
of 2017-onwards and those in the early 2010s is the depth. It’s strange because we actually had a lot of talent on the early 2010s teams at the top of the lineup, but as you said the bottom 6 forwards couldn’t score. And honestly it would seem they weren’t even recruited to score since those players would put up paltry numbers in junior hockey. The coaching staff seemed to intentionally recruit multiple checking lines rather than four lines that could score. Our best players now aren’t better than Brian Ferlin or Joakim Ryan, but our depth is so much deeper than it was on those teams. The speed and skill of Yale put an end to the “checking line.”

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 01:27PM

Depth matters in the playoffs – that is, after ~30 bruising RS and exhibition games – when a couple first- or second-liners are out with injuries, bringing someone up from the third or fourth line isn't such a falloff in talent.

At the same time, you want to have to have one really potent offensive line for when you're down one with five minutes to play and you've just gotten a power play. The Union game was a once-in-a-decade aberration.

If it was a choice between the two, three or four solid lines matters more. Just go into the third period ahead or tied.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-241.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 01:30PM

BearLover
I agree that the big difference between the teams
of 2017-onwards and those in the early 2010s is the depth. It’s strange because we actually had a lot of talent on the early 2010s teams at the top of the lineup, but as you said the bottom 6 forwards couldn’t score. And honestly it would seem they weren’t even recruited to score since those players would put up paltry numbers in junior hockey. The coaching staff seemed to intentionally recruit multiple checking lines rather than four lines that could score. Our best players now aren’t better than Brian Ferlin or Joakim Ryan, but our depth is so much deeper than it was on those teams. The speed and skill of Yale put an end to the “checking line.”

One of our worst recent years in the mid 2010s, I remember Schafer saying in a postseason interview that they tried something different and were going back to the old plan, strategy wise. I don't know what the difference was, since I don't really know hockey on a tactical level all that well (I know we generally run a right wing lock? But I couldn't tell you what that is), but I wonder how much of what appears to be talent-driven also relies on tactics and coaching to put guys in the right spots at the right times.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 01:33PM

Given our depth this year, if Stienberg gets back this season as hoped (and assuming Donaldson is over his illness and is back in the lineup soon), the question is, who comes out of the lineup? I assume Wallace is the 1st candidate, although he’s been very solid for a freshman. But besides him who else sits? A good dilemma to have—and hopefully no more injuries that render the issue moot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login