Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RPI vs. Cornell 2/3/23

Posted by Iceberg 
RPI vs. Cornell 2/3/23
Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 04:55PM

Good red, bad red, etc.

Re: RPI vs. Cornell 2/3/23
Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:13PM

I’m calling (and hoping for) a keopple start today

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:20PM

chimpfood

Coming off the loss, doubtful will see Keopple tonight. Maybe tomorrow if we get the W.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:38PM

Whether we won or lost the prior game should have nothing to do with who gets the start in net. That decision should depend on which goalie gives Cornell its best chance to win, with a small amount of consideration for rest and getting Keopple reps.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-241.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:48PM

chimpfood

I'm torn between believing rest is good and thinking Keopple has looked shaky. He doesn't seem to come out far enough to challenge shooters and cut off angles.

But this is pushing the bounds of my hockey knowing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:50PM

chimpfood
I'm sure Mike will give you the consideration you have earned.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 03, 2023 05:51PM

we have a small margin of error to get into the PWR.. we can really afford losses to any of these teams at this point if we want to get in without winning the ecac

Date: February 03, 2023 05:53PM

Dafatone
chimpfood

I'm torn between believing rest is good and thinking Keopple has looked shaky. He doesn't seem to come out far enough to challenge shooters and cut off angles.

But this is pushing the bounds of my hockey knowing.
He's got an .837 save percentage. To put that in perspective, had he faced the same number of shots as Shane (36 GA), he would have given up 67 goals.

So, um. No.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 06:02PM

Yeah he probably won’t start but I haven’t seen him play in person yet and he was a highly touted prospect so I still have a lot of faith in him

Date: February 03, 2023 06:35PM

chimpfood
Yeah he probably won’t start but I haven’t seen him play in person yet and he was a highly touted prospect so I still have a lot of faith in him
It would appear he isn't ready yet. That's no crime; he may develop into the finest goaltender in our history; I hope so.

More importantly, Shane is playing well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 06:35PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 03, 2023 06:58PM

Jack O'Brien, you say?

Date: February 03, 2023 07:05PM

Note to self: don't take a major this time.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:13PM

Nice to see Mitchell score right after Psenicka beat Miller clean but just missed the net.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 07:16PM

Our PK’s been solid, so RPI having that type of success on the PP against us is baffling.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:16PM

Feels like half the ppg against us this season are RPI's.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 07:21PM

firewagon baby. great pass from max, nice snipe from sam.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:25PM

Gorgeous angle on camera too. I doubt Mike has much fondness of the laxity in this game so far though.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:27PM

That PK was more to the liking

Date: February 03, 2023 07:29PM

Rego just barely avoided decapitation.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:30PM

Miller looks lost, we need to take advantage.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 07:30PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:39PM

Our work in the offensive zone was terrific, with relentless pressure and several excellent chances we didn’t cash in. A bit too sloppy in the D zone though.

As an aside, nice to get last Saturday’s score off the Twitter link
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 07:42PM by scoop85.

Date: February 03, 2023 07:43PM

Q at Harvard scoreless through 1.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:01PM

Good god that hit.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:12PM

After we almost yacked up a goal with poor defensive zone coverage, a great play Berard on the pass to Mitchell for the snipe.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:19PM

Jack O’Leary is such an awesome pest

Date: February 03, 2023 08:24PM

scoop85
At the moment he is our only guy not in cement.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 08:35PM

the partial PP was as bad as any cornell advantage I've ever seen. getting to start the next one with a faceoff win led to much better structure and some decent chances.

switching to hoops until that game is over but the 10 point cornell halftime lead turned into a 7 point princeton lead by the time i tuned in. cornell cut it back to 3, though.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:51PM

Gate trailing 2-0 halfway through the third.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 08:55PM

I give the Cornell radio broadcasters kudos for an unbiased broadcast especially compared to some ECAC teams' PBP and color men that are horrid and unprepared.

And they didn't think that Ciccarello has an I at the end.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:55PM

And now Q up 2-0 at Bright.

Date: February 03, 2023 08:57PM

Has anyone heard O'Brien's name?

Date: February 03, 2023 09:07PM

-15 in Potsdam tonight.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2023 09:25PM

Trotsky
-15 in Potsdam tonight.

Not nearly as cold as the Golden Knights.

Yeesh.

Date: February 03, 2023 09:38PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
-15 in Potsdam tonight.

Not nearly as cold as the Golden Knights.

Yeesh.
Very surprising. Down to .400 in conference, now.

Date: February 03, 2023 10:06PM

Did anyone who attended the game observe how Mitchell looked as he left the ice? Did he participate in the salute? He took a puck off the lower arm while blocking a shot with under a minute to go and appeared shaken up.

Date: February 03, 2023 10:11PM

Grady always goes off on far too many tangents. But tonight he took that to another level. With under five minutes to play in the game, he spent over two minutes talking about various outcomes from ECAC women’s hockey early today. During this time Cornell stopped an RPI scoring chance and took it down the ice for their own grade-A scoring chance, and not until the Cornell player released his shot did Grady finally snap out of his tangent. He needs to stick to the action.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 10:11PM by BearLover.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2023 10:16PM

chimpfood
Good to have a backup who's tan, rested and ready, with some game experience in hand. We don't want to call up Christian McCaffrey if things go downhill.

Date: February 03, 2023 10:17PM

scoop85
And 1-1/2 more years to be awesomer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2023 10:35PM by billhoward.

Date: February 03, 2023 10:20PM

I did appreciate his inside-baseball stuff about rink Internet problems of late and Jason having to broadcast part of a game via his cellphone. Not sure if he said there were problems at Bright Center and also an Lynah.

Date: February 03, 2023 10:26PM

it would be nice if lynah had decent internet to actually use my cell phone while in the building.

Posted by: andyw2100 (162.253.131.---)
Date: February 03, 2023 11:16PM

BearLover
Did anyone who attended the game observe how Mitchell looked as he left the ice? Did he participate in the salute? He took a puck off the lower arm while blocking a shot with under a minute to go and appeared shaken up.

Mitchell went through the handshake line with his right hand gloved and at his side, using his left hand to "shake", fist-bump, etc. Definitely not a good sign.

Date: February 03, 2023 11:24PM

andyw2100
BearLover

Mitchell went through the handshake line with his right hand gloved and at his side, using his left hand to "shake", fist-bump, etc. Definitely not a good sign.
I went back and watched the ending. Mitchell appeared ready to return to the ice following the icing, presumably until he realized he wasn’t required to do so due to the injury. He then (I think) was involved in the group of Cornell players around Shane congratulating each other immediately following the final buzzer. That to me indicates it does not appear to be serious, or else he would have been on the bench continuing to be evaluated by the trainer. But I’m not sure.

Date: February 04, 2023 02:07AM

BearLover
Grady always goes off on far too many tangents. But tonight he took that to another level. With under five minutes to play in the game, he spent over two minutes talking about various outcomes from ECAC women’s hockey early today. During this time Cornell stopped an RPI scoring chance and took it down the ice for their own grade-A scoring chance, and not until the Cornell player released his shot did Grady finally snap out of his tangent. He needs to stick to the action.

Grady is okay. I remembered him as way better than either he was or has become, though. I am fine with him going off on Cornell tangents, but I have zero interest in his Binghamton years.

Date: February 04, 2023 02:09AM

upprdeck
it would be nice if lynah had decent internet to actually use my cell phone while in the building.
Funny you say this. I favor the opposite. Put the pacifiers away for a couple hours and be a present human being. Your dildos can function at home.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 02:10AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-53.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 04:41AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
Funny you say this. I favor the opposite. Put the pacifiers away for a couple hours and be a present human being. Your dildos can function at home.

Yes and yes.

I wondered last night why I didn't have at least weak 5G rather than weak 4G.

But limited LTE means all we could do was check out of town scores. I couldn't look at the replay of the highlights of the first on ESPN+. Though WHCU on Tune In was available after waiting a bit for it to spool up.

(I continue to wonder why Jim Hyla's iPhone gets CHN score updates faster than my Samsung.)

But the good was limited 4G meant more yakking with Jim.

Also of note is that while the student section filled in during the first period, the cold seemed to keep many of the townie regulars safe at home. Maybe we'll see more tonight.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-53.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 04:44AM

marty
Trotsky
upprdeck

Yes and yes.

I wondered last night why I didn't have at least weak 5G rather than weak 4G.

But limited LTE means all we could do was check out of town scores. I couldn't look at the replay of the highlights of the first on ESPN+. Though WHCU on Tune In was available after waiting a bit for it to spool up.

(I continue to wonder why Jim Hyla's iPhone gets CHN score updates faster than my Samsung.)

But the good was limited 4G meant more yakking with Jim.

Also of note is that while the student section filled in during the first period, the cold seemed to keep many of the townie regulars safe at home. Maybe we'll see more tonight.

In answer to the why does eLynah think my message is spam question from last week, I just had to delete a smiling emoji in order to post the message I'm quoting - had Phorum Error before the deletion.

??

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2023 05:41AM

…and the win plus Hahvahd’s loss puts us in the odd position of a higher RPI while losing the comparisons, so we trail Sucks 11 vs. 10 in the PWR. For now.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 07:28AM

If Mitchell is out for an extended period of time, it will be a huge loss down the stretch. Let's hope he wasn't seriously injured when he blocked that shot in the final seconds.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 08:27AM

If RPI had scored on their own net on that last power play, does anyone remember who the last Cornell player to touch the puck was?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 08:31AM by Iceberg.

Date: February 04, 2023 08:58AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

except that some of us are on call 24x7 or like to keep track of out of town scores or the bball team.

between periods its nice to be able to check up on things, or checkin with the wife as well.

Posted by: andyw2100 (162.253.129.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:15AM

upprdeck
Trotsky
upprdeck

except that some of us are on call 24x7 or like to keep track of out of town scores or the bball team.

between periods its nice to be able to check up on things, or checkin with the wife as well.

I haven't tried it lately, but I believe Cornell provides free WiFi in Lynah. If I'm correct, you could connect to the free WiFi and then use WiFi calling. (The WiFi I am thinking of does require registration, but I believe it is available to the public.)

I'll try to remember to check tonight.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 09:18AM

andyw2100
upprdeck
Trotsky
upprdeck

I haven't tried it lately, but I believe Cornell provides free WiFi in Lynah. If I'm correct, you could connect to the free WiFi and then use WiFi calling. (The WiFi I am thinking of does require registration, but I believe it is available to the public.)

I'll try to remember to check tonight.

WiFi isn’t great either. In my experience it goes in and out even during women’s games with a few hundred in the building.

Date: February 04, 2023 11:31AM

Iceberg
If RPI had scored on their own net on that last power play, does anyone remember who the last Cornell player to touch the puck was?
Is that the rule, or is it the player closest to the puck when it was shot?

If the former, you can get credit for a goal when you are off the ice, which is nice.

Date: February 04, 2023 12:10PM

Trotsky
Iceberg
Is that the rule, or is it the player closest to the puck when it was shot?

If the former, you can get credit for a goal when you are off the ice, which is nice.

It's whoever last touched the puck, and that includes goaltenders. If Shane had made a save, and then a player from the defensive team (in this case RPI) had thrown the puck back into his own net, Shane would've been credited with the goal

Date: February 04, 2023 12:22PM

I have been trying to remember what happened on Dave Crombeen's "prettiest goal I ever scored" at Houston.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 12:38PM

dbilmes
If Mitchell is out for an extended period of time, it will be a huge loss down the stretch. Let's hope he wasn't seriously injured when he blocked that shot in the final seconds.

“You’re doing it for all the guys on the team,” Mitchell said. “Any one of them would get down and block that shot, so I’m gonna do it as well. I think it shows how much we want to win.”

Mitchell said his wrist was ok, but he will likely need to confirm that with the training staff before taking the ice on Saturday night against Union.

“That’s why he’s a captain,” Schafer said.

Cornell Daily Sun

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 12:56PM

Trotsky
I have been trying to remember what happened on Dave Crombeen's "prettiest goal I ever scored" at Houston.

IIRC Crombeen was heading off the ice, having been whistled for a delayed penalty. The RPI goaltender (Jopling, I think) was headed off for the extra skater when one of the RPI defensemen passed backward to his linemate to start a play. Only it wasn't his linemate -- it was the goalie, skating off with his head down. The puck rolled right by him and into the net. I believe when he "scored", Crombeen had already made it to the bench.

Date: February 04, 2023 01:06PM

Give My Regards
Trotsky

IIRC Crombeen was heading off the ice, having been whistled for a delayed penalty. The RPI goaltender (Jopling, I think) was headed off for the extra skater when one of the RPI defensemen passed backward to his linemate to start a play. Only it wasn't his linemate -- it was the goalie, skating off with his head down. The puck rolled right by him and into the net. I believe when he "scored", Crombeen had already made it to the bench.
You have a great memory, thank you.

I was sitting in Preble, NY with a thrown rod when this happened. Who knew you had to change the oil?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-216.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2023 02:13PM

Give My Regards
Trotsky

there has to be video. someone needs to find it.

Posted by: shafer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 02:15PM

ugarte
Give My Regards
Trotsky

there has to be video. someone needs to find it.

The pee tapes exist

Date: February 04, 2023 03:08PM

Trotsky
upprdeck
Oh, please! There should not be a ranking on what makes for the best Cornell fan in attendance and especially not if it's judged by eLynah members who are the most faithful already.

My wife is a non-Cornellian but at least has a Seven Sisters pedigree. She knits hats-for-the-homeless at intermissions and during the increasing number of video reviews (how come Cornell doesn't show the replay tape at the same time the refs see it, as at Harvard and others?). Is that okay? We need something to do between the periods now that the row o' shops (esp. the PSP garb) is no longer in the Bartels-to-Lynah corridor. Sometimes we want to check other scores; sometimes we want to check who got the assists when the crowd noise or PA quality (the electronics not ACM) aren't up to it.

I'm opposed to most morals police no matter what they judge.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 03:56PM

billhoward
Trotsky
upprdeck
Oh, please! There should not be a ranking on what makes for the best Cornell fan in attendance and especially not if it's judged by eLynah members who are the most faithful already.

My wife is a non-Cornellian but at least has a Seven Sisters pedigree. She knits hats-for-the-homeless at intermissions and during the increasing number of video reviews (how come Cornell doesn't show the replay tape at the same time the refs see it, as at Harvard and others?). Is that okay? We need something to do between the periods now that the row o' shops (esp. the PSP garb) is no longer in the Bartels-to-Lynah corridor. Sometimes we want to check other scores; sometimes we want to check who got the assists when the crowd noise or PA quality (the electronics not ACM) aren't up to it.

Don't retire to Texas or Florida.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:07PM

This Week in ECAC Hockey: Cornell focusing on defense as Big Red looking to become ‘better by the end of the year’

Small error in opening sentence, but good article…

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: andyw2100 (162.253.129.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:26PM

BearLover
andyw2100
BearLover

I went back and watched the ending. Mitchell appeared ready to return to the ice following the icing, presumably until he realized he wasn’t required to do so due to the injury. He then (I think) was involved in the group of Cornell players around Shane congratulating each other immediately following the final buzzer. That to me indicates it does not appear to be serious, or else he would have been on the bench continuing to be evaluated by the trainer. But I’m not sure.

Mitchell on the ice for warmups. Great sign!

Posted by: abmarks (107.115.17.---)
Date: February 04, 2023 06:53PM

billhoward
Trotsky
upprdeck

I'm with Trotsky, but I won't throw stones; I have trouble not taking my phone out when I have the option.

Based on his previous comments on this board, I don't think Trotsky was taking a pot shot at Lynah fans. It's a commentary in general. We (self included) have a phone addiction problem 2hich is measurably degrading our ability to be present.

What did you do at intermission before cell phones...were you really getting jumpy or bored?

Having cell phone access 24/7 as we do has actually made it *harder* to sit through that intermission because we're so used to being able to get a dopamine hit from grabbing a phone.

I'd argue that the phones lessen the collective experience at any event. Crowd intensity, cheer volume/quantity etc and the atmosphere as a whole are all lessened.

Date: February 04, 2023 07:02PM

abmarks
billhoward
Trotsky
upprdeck

Nicely stated.

I'm with Trotsky, but I won't throw stones; I have trouble not taking my phone out when I have the option.

Based on his previous comments on this board, I don't think Trotsky was taking a pot shot at Lynah fans. It's a commentary in general. We (self included) have a phone addiction problem 2hich is measurably degrading our ability to be present.

What did you do at intermission before cell phones...were you really getting jumpy or bored?

Having cell phone access 24/7 as we do has actually made it *harder* to sit through that intermission because we're so used to being able to get a dopamine hit from grabbing a phone.

I'd argue that the phones lessen the collective experience at any event. Crowd intensity, cheer volume/quantity etc and the atmosphere as a whole are all lessened.

Date: February 04, 2023 09:26PM

abmarks
billhoward
Trotsky
upprdeck

i used to by a program to read.. cant even find a program now.. i used to go the corner and get something to eat/drink. that is no longer a thing. I used to talk to people.. now the crowd is mostly gone.. so now I look to out of town scores to see what is happening. but then no 5g or wifi most of the time

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2023 01:52PM

Iceberg

Let's check the video.

Date: February 08, 2023 02:32PM

marty
Iceberg

Let's check the video.

Seems like Andreev was the last Cornell player to touch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login