Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard @ Cornell, 12/2/2022

Posted by Dunc 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Harvard @ Cornell, 12/2/2022
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 06:03PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
If they wanna do a shootout for bragging rights at the end of that, sure, why not.

Because it sucks is why not. Don't decide a team sport event with an individual skill contest. It's not just inelegant. It makes as much sense as deciding an MLB game with a homerun hitting contest.
How about in the World Cup?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 06:11PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
If they wanna do a shootout for bragging rights at the end of that, sure, why not.

Because it sucks is why not. Don't decide a team sport event with an individual skill contest. It's not just inelegant. It makes as much sense as deciding an MLB game with a homerun hitting contest.

Is it weird that I like shootouts more than 3x3?
Don't ask me. I hate man on second and the DH but I actually liked 7-inning double headers, and I LOVE the 3 PA reliever rule.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 06:17PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 09, 2022 06:12PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Dafatone

Blind auction.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 06:16PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 06:22PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Dafatone

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2022 06:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Dafatone

A homerun hitting contest would be a really weird way to decide the World Cup.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-88.myvzw.com)
Date: December 09, 2022 06:27PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

Don't ask me. I hate man on second and the DH but I actually liked 7-inning double headers, and I LOVE the 3 PA reliever rule.

I don't really like any of the changes, but the 3 batter minimum is the least bad. I feel badly for the LOOGYs that now have to change careers.

It's gonna cost Daniel Zamora several million dollars.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 11:03PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

I don't really like any of the changes, but the 3 batter minimum is the least bad. I feel badly for the LOOGYs that now have to change careers.

I think the 3 batter minimum should go away in the post season, just like the man on second in extra innings

Date: December 10, 2022 11:14AM

nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

I think the 3 batter minimum should go away in the post season, just like the man on second in extra innings

Man on second is a profanation. Banish it to the puerile marketing hell from which it came.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-88.myvzw.com)
Date: December 10, 2022 11:16AM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

Man on second is a profanation. Banish it to the puerile marketing hell from which it came.

I fear that one's gonna stick. I hate it, but apparently the players like it. 16 inning games are epic and weird, but I guess when baseball's your day job, they kinda suck.

Date: December 10, 2022 11:18AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

I fear that one's gonna stick. I hate it, but apparently the players like it. 16 inning games are epic and weird, but I guess when baseball's your day job, they kinda suck.
I would prefer they just bring back ties a la the 19th century.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2022 11:42AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

come on you're just baiting me now

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2022 11:50AM

Trotsky

Ties are totally unacceptable! I think they should play eight-on-eight by eliminating the center fielder.
If still a tie, after say 11 innings, play seven-on-seven by removing the shortstop. Only then, the home run derby! If still tied, rock, paper, scissors.

Date: December 10, 2022 11:50AM

ugarte
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

come on you're just baiting me now

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Date: December 10, 2022 11:52AM

I understand that inevitably the Mets will lose the division to the Braves by half a game.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2022 03:29PM

Trotsky
nshapiro
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

Yeah I absolutely despise the man on second rule- but I agree that it’s likely not going away any time soon

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 10, 2022 06:01PM

Trotsky
I understand that inevitably the Mets will lose the division to the Braves by half a game.

Not with the way the Phils are signing free agents. The Mets are gonna finish 3rd.

Date: December 10, 2022 06:28PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

Not with the way the Phils are signing free agents. The Mets are gonna finish 3rd.
The Phillies are going to be the highest payroll sub .500 team in history.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 10, 2022 07:34PM

not sure you can lose by 1/2 a game the way it works..

Date: December 10, 2022 09:50PM

upprdeck
You can if there are ties.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-245.myvzw.com)
Date: December 10, 2022 10:19PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

You can without ties. If the Mets finish 100-61 with a rained out game and the Braves finish 101-61 plus have the tiebreaker over the Mets, they might not bother making up game 162.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2022 11:01PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
upprdeck

You can without ties. If the Mets finish 100-61 with a rained out game and the Braves finish 101-61 plus have the tiebreaker over the Mets, they might not bother making up game 162.
True. Mets won division in 1973 at 82-79, at the time the worst winning record ever. I don't know if it is still the worst for a division winner.

Edit- Sorry just looked it up and they won by 1 1/2 games, that is why they did not make it up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2022 11:05PM by nshapiro.

Date: December 11, 2022 09:17AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
upprdeck

i forgot there is no more play to win games in this new world of MLB.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 12, 2022 07:25AM

Basketball doesn't go to two-on-two when tied in regulation, nor does baseball go to four-on-four, nor does soccer go to three-on-three, as far as I know?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2022 10:24AM

osorojo
Basketball doesn't go to two-on-two when tied in regulation, nor does baseball go to four-on-four, nor does soccer go to three-on-three, as far as I know?

Fencing and Billiards should go to none-on-none when tied after regulation.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (173.199.232.---)
Date: December 12, 2022 11:29AM

Beeeej
osorojo

Billiards could decide with a trick shot contest. Fencing could just blindfold.

Date: December 12, 2022 11:38AM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
osorojo

Billiards could decide with a trick shot contest. Fencing could just blindfold.

If I recall correctly, fencing flips a coin, then goes next point wins, but if time runs out, the fencer who won the flip wins. Which is interesting.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: December 12, 2022 11:45AM

Dafatone
If I recall correctly, fencing flips a coin, then goes next point wins, but if time runs out, the fencer who won the flip wins. Which is interesting.
Do they inform the fencers who won the flip?

In hockey have a tie. In RS MLB have the home team win a tie because who cares?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2022 11:46AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 12, 2022 11:45AM

Trotsky
Dafatone

They do. Would be entertaining if they didn't, though.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: December 12, 2022 11:46AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

Why do they? It would be *much* better if they didn't.

Date: December 12, 2022 11:55AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
Dafatone

Why do they? It would be *much* better if they didn't.

I think the idea is that it's a sport where playing defensively can result in nothing happening. So you want to light a fire under someone to make the action happen, a little.

If you're the lesser fencer or something and you know you have a 50% chance to win if you turtle, you might just turtle.

Date: December 12, 2022 01:12PM

osorojo

nope but soccer should since they play 90 min and still dont score..

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 01:55PM

Man, this thread may run beyond Slope Day. We got a pair of season tickets just to avoid the hassle of hunting down the Harvard tickets, and the other dozen or some home games come with it.

Gwen and I loved that the place was full, full, full. The crowd and level of competition is why five decades of Harvard players say this is their favorite, at least most memorable, road trip.

The play was good, it was nice to be in the lead for the majority of the game.

I was the at-Harvard game when the live chicken got tied to Dave Elenbaas' net, we have retaliated for fifty years now and I'm kind of thinking we've made our point. (Schafer doesn't mind the fish so long as they don't hurt Cornell.) There were fish thrown before periods 2 and 3 and also during overtime when the apparent game-winner was scored. The referees could have called a delay-of-game penalty (if this was declared a no-goal) and we might have lost the game. I did see some fish wrapped in plastic being tossed. That's nice.

It really is more fun watching the most competitive games; maybe we could turn the tables on Clarkson Feb. 17.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: December 15, 2022 03:03PM

People, I've said this before, yet no one listens:

Stop subtracting skaters for OT. Start adding pucks.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 15, 2022 03:26PM

The most passionate fans don't add up to enough people to make a sport popular, or profitable, or exhorbitantly profitable long-term.

Too many pro and semi-pro games (Ohio State football et al) cost too much and take too long to play. See Jason Gay in the WSJ: Soccer’s Greatest Beauty: It Takes Two Hours

Jason Gay
[The World Cup is] crisp, gloriously so. It’s a reason alone to tune in. I’m not saying you can set your watch to soccer—nobody besides the ref really knows how much time is actually left—but you can almost set your watch to soccer. Do you know what a speedy blessing this is? Modern sports fans can agree: almost nothing in sports is two hours anymore. We are amid a Great Sports Time Creep, in which we have prolonged the brisk games of our youth into bureaucratically exasperating, needlessly delayed, day-sucking affairs.
Honestly, this issue feels bigger than sports. Technology was supposed to streamline our lives, but everything now takes longer: travel, meetings, dinners, parenthood. Movies? I feel I need to take a thermos of coffee and a sleeping bag to the movies. Even this crummy sports column is way too long.

Soccer feels like an antidote to all of this. It begins when it’s supposed to begin. The clock ticks forward, but you get used to it. There are no commercial interruptions until halftime. There can be whistles, video reviews, injury delays, fake injury delays, and more fake injury delays, but compared with baseball, it flies like a 100-meter dash.

Date: December 15, 2022 04:50PM

I dont think soccer flies by.. There are a lot of games that drag on for ever. no one scores.. a ton of whistles where nothing really happens.. and the game ends in some vague way many the time.. with random extra minutes.. At least college you know when its over..

Date: December 15, 2022 05:05PM

upprdeck
I dont think soccer flies by.. There are a lot of games that drag on for ever. no one scores.. a ton of whistles where nothing really happens.. and the game ends in some vague way many the time.. with random extra minutes.. At least college you know when its over..
All the time writhing on the ground after your jersey gets pulled, that's rolled into the ninety minutes, and if there's overage, it's like eight more minutes.

Date: December 21, 2022 01:49PM

During overtime keep everything the same except replace the 4 X 6 goals with 8 X 10 goals and sudden death victory. Problem solved, and attendance swells.

Date: December 21, 2022 05:27PM

osorojo
During overtime keep everything the same except replace the 4 X 6 goals with 8 X 10 goals and sudden death victory. Problem solved, and attendance swells.
a) Nice idea, very, ah, creative. BTW are you still working off a beta version of ChatGPT?
b) A 10x8 goal, we could almost take down the netting protecting sections E-K.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2022 05:41PM

billhoward
osorojo
a) Nice idea, very, ah, creative. BTW are you still working off a beta version of ChatGPT?

My solution to move the red bear to a fifth eLynah forum would work best if ChatGPT is the only other member in that forum.

Date: December 22, 2022 04:43PM

I have found the quality of the writing implement or machine used to communicate has little to do with the quality of the writing itself . . .

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login