Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Quinnipiac , 11/05/22

Posted by Dunc 
Cornell @ Quinnipiac , 11/05/22
Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2022 12:10PM

Time to beat Q tonight! Looking forward to this one after last year's exciting match-ups

Re: Cornell @ Quinnipiac , 11/05/22
Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 12:31PM

Looking at last night’s box score, it appears Colgate was up 2-0 and then, about halfway through the second period, Colgate began taking a string of penalties for the next 20 minutes, including a 5-minute major for hitting from behind (Q scored during the major), a holding and hooking penalty within 23 seconds of each other (Q scored on the 5x3), and a slashing call midway through the third (Q scored during the penalty), after which the penalized player, while skating back to the bench following the Q goal, took a game misconduct for “abuse of officials.”

In sum, Q won 3-2, with all its goals coming on the PP, including a 5x3 and 5-minute major goal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 12:33PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 12:51PM

BearLover
Looking at last night’s box score, it appears Colgate was up 2-0 and then, about halfway through the second period, Colgate began taking a string of penalties for the next 20 minutes, including a 5-minute major for hitting from behind (Q scored during the major), a holding and hooking penalty within 23 seconds of each other (Q scored on the 5x3), and a slashing call midway through the third (Q scored during the penalty), after which the penalized player, while skating back to the bench following the Q goal, took a game misconduct for “abuse of officials.”

In sum, Q won 3-2, with all its goals coming on the PP, including a 5x3 and 5-minute major goal.

But remember: Colgate beat us at the end of last season. Don't count on a transitive law, even if you believe in it.

Date: November 05, 2022 01:24PM

5 of Q’s top 10 scorers are graduate students. Cornell
isn’t even allowed to have graduate students on its team. An extra year of COVID eligibility coupled with the Ivies’ ban on graduate students is putting Cornell and the Ivies at a big disadvantage. (And still three more years of this crap.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 03:30PM

Raise a glass for Aaron Trotter today. The freshman goalie for St. Thomas held his team in it against Mankato for two periods last night, then in the third Mankato scored 7 times on just 13 shots.

Date: November 05, 2022 06:52PM

So, quite likely the most demanding game of the RS. I just hope they play well, hang around, and take advantages of the opportunities they create or are given. Quinnipiac is very good, but they are not unbeatable.

Date: November 05, 2022 07:14PM

Per Q announcers, Psenicka is from "Chechnya."

Date: November 05, 2022 07:36PM

Shots after 1 period. Quinnipiac 18 Cornell 0. Not a typo.

Q up 1-0.

Posted by: ACM (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 07:40PM

Trotsky
Czechia, like it says here.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:01PM

ACM
Trotsky
Czechia, like it says here.
Yes, Arthur, I know. That is not what the announcer said.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 08:01PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:03PM

The Q announcer just mentioned a guy from the Danbury Trashers. There's a great documentary about them. They were run by a small town mobster.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 08:04PM

I don't know what these officials are doing but Seger is being tossed for losing his balance at the wrong time. That board wasn't even nearly as violent as the one at Princeton last night

Edit: Technically a board but they called it "interference" last night. Either way, a bad call for making it a major instead of a minor
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 08:13PM by Iceberg.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:04PM

Seger gets an early shower, yikes. Not what we needed.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 08:20PM

Cornell PP looks very hesitant, anemic.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:27PM

At least Shane looks to be legit. Rest of the team pretty outmatched against the fifth year seniors.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:32PM

I think they are playing well on D. They just have nothing going on attack.

And Shane has looked great.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 08:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-209.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 08:39PM

Shots were 5-4 Q in the 2nd. Which is much better than the 1st.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:50PM

Saved our best hockey for the third period. That was quite good play for a couple shifts.

Date: November 05, 2022 08:51PM

Now would be the time...

Date: November 05, 2022 09:13PM

It's only been 4 games but I guess anemic offense will be the theme of this year?

Date: November 05, 2022 09:15PM

Iceberg
It's only been 4 games but I guess anemic offense will be the theme of this year?
Looks very similar to last year’s offense—little talent, bad execution. Benching Donaldson and Bancroft, two of the higher skill guys, was a questionable choice given the team couldn’t set up anything on any of their ample man-up chances.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-192.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 09:17PM

BearLover
Iceberg
Looks very similar to last year’s offense—little talent, bad execution. Benching Donaldson and Bancroft, two of the higher skill guys, was a questionable choice given the team couldn’t set up anything on any of their ample man-up chances.

Totally agree on little talent and bad execution

Date: November 05, 2022 09:19PM

blackwidow
BearLover
Iceberg

Totally agree on little talent and bad execution
You would agree with anything negative I said about the team.

28-9 shots. Cornell looked better in the second and third, but it was an overall sorry performance. I’ve been beating the same drum, but it still looks to me like Harvard and Quinnipiac are leagues ahead of everyone else in the league.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 09:28PM

I could see how the officials saw a shove into the boards, rather Seger losing his balance.

Date: November 05, 2022 09:29PM

BearLover
Looks very similar to last year’s offense—little talent, bad execution.
Hey, how'd a football post wind up here?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-209.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 09:38PM

billhoward
I could see how the officials saw a shove into the boards, rather Seger losing his balance.

Live, I get it, but I don't know how you watch that on replay and think it was worthy of a misconduct. The Q guy pulled up early and stuck his butt out.

Date: November 05, 2022 09:42PM

Trotsky
The Q announcer just mentioned a guy from the Danbury Trashers. There's a great documentary about them. They were run by a small town mobster.
I feel sorry for the Quinnipiac fans at the game and watching from home. They outshoot Cornell like 29-8 and only have one goal plus ENG to show for it. And Cornell came close to evening things up. (But did not.)

Meanwhile the Q announcers, sheesh. Late in the game one of the dynamic duo got into a long aside about how noisy it was at a Black Hawks game maybe back to the Stan Mikita era. And he ran 5-plus seconds over into the faceoff. Also that anecdote, what was it, something like there's four Italian guys on the ice now, maybe they'll go for pizza. This is the No. 30 media market per Nielsen.

For anybody who went in person, was it hard to get tickets? There seemed to be, from the video, hundreds of empty seats even before the mid-game bailout for campus parties.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 09:51PM by billhoward.

Date: November 05, 2022 09:46PM

Those announcers were funny homers and had some rather tangential discussions (low attendance at Princeton, the officials with Italian surnames, random Connecticut minor league teams...). However, they did mention Joe Nieuwendyk was in attendance because his daughter is apparently a Q student. I think having him on the ice even now would've made a difference given the state of the offense during most of the game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 09:58PM

BearLover
Iceberg

Are Donaldson and Bancroft healthy?

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: November 05, 2022 10:24PM

billhoward
For anybody who went in person, was it hard to get tickets? There seemed to be, from the video, hundreds of empty seats even before the mid-game bailout for campus parties.
I have been to many "sell-outs" at Q which featured hundreds of empty seats. They apparently have a lot of season ticket holders who don't show up. In any case, Q did send out an email earlier in the week advertising that there were tickets for sale for the Cornell game. I got my own tickets earlier this fall when Q first put single-game tickets on sale. I usually get them with the local Cornell Club's block, but those seats are usually in the corner and it was nice to sit at center ice tonight instead.

Date: November 05, 2022 10:40PM

CU2007
BearLover
Iceberg
They both played last night.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2022 11:04PM

BearLover
CU2007
BearLover
Iceberg
They both played last night.

I thought the lineup choice was a bit odd too. And while Q has great defensive structure that can frustrate many teams, we were hesitant and slow to move the puck in the offensive zone, especially on the PP. I’m befuddled by Berard this year; he seems to either miss the net or have his shot blocked on every attempt. I’d like to believe he will get back to being an effective weapon, but so far it’s been a slog.

Date: November 05, 2022 11:04PM

Overall I do not think we played poorly. We played good defense; we blocked tons of shots. Shane was sharp. We held an extremely good Q squad to 2 goals. (Yes, I know, so did LIU).

We were overmatched (we were held shotless in the first, which is incredible) but we stayed in the game and with some puck luck we could have stolen points. On the road against the best team in the conference that isn't an epic fail. We are not going to be getting a lot of finesse offense this season, it's going to be ground out after grinding the other team down. 2020 doesn't happen every season.

Date: November 05, 2022 11:06PM

I'd be surprised if Bancroft was a true healthy scratch. He has already been banged up in a couple games and I assumed he was not 100%.

Berard not being magical yet really hurts. Maybe it's gelling with the new line, maybe he too isn't fully healthy yet, but yes that is a big drop off.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 06, 2022 01:25PM

Trotsky
Overall I do not think we played poorly. We played good defense; we blocked tons of shots. Shane was sharp. We held an extremely good Q squad to 2 goals. (Yes, I know, so did LIU).

We were overmatched (we were held shotless in the first, which is incredible) but we stayed in the game and with some puck luck we could have stolen points. On the road against the best team in the conference that isn't an epic fail. We are not going to be getting a lot of finesse offense this season, it's going to be ground out after grinding the other team down. 2020 doesn't happen every season.

In person, that's basically what I saw. Quinnipiac came out fired up, blocking tons of shots. It's not like we didn't have shots, it's just that everything low was being blocked by a Q player and everything high was going over the net. They were setting up high against our offense, both 5-on-5 and on the power play, and our guys didn't seem able/savvy enough (yet?) to make adjustments mid-period to focus down low instead. I would've called a time out. Maybe if it got to 2–0 in the first, Syer would have. None of our forward lines had real chemistry, but it is our third game, ya know.

What I saw to work on? D-to-D passing was truly atrocious all game long. These pairings need to develop some confidence in each other and zip those passes, because every slow D-to-D pass meant the receiver had exactly zero room to breathe against a Q forecheck that was going after everything. It's been a consistent problem, but we need 5-on-5 and power play set ups that don't depend on shots from the point or umbrella, because quick, competent teams are just going to play us high, leading to dangerous turnovers and a lot of chasing. Let's not even mention how much passing it back and forth D-to-D is doing nothing to tire out the other team. If we focus low with this group, I have a feeling our grind might start to really work. Something we don't need to do vs. teams like Princeton, but something we're obviously going to need to do vs. Quinnipiac in the future.

Positives? We got stronger as the game went on and/or Quinnipiac began to tire. The third was really pretty even. The kill on the five-minute major was excellent and a complete turnaround from a first-period kill during which we didn't clear the zone once. Shane played well, and the defense is, once again, getting used to his rebound habits. Most of them were manageable, but I'm sure he's working on it. I would guess Schafer would say something about "compete level" with regard to what happened in the first. If the boys needed an education, they got one.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2022 12:16AM

Scersk '97

What I saw to work on? D-to-D passing was truly atrocious all game long. These pairings need to develop some confidence in each other and zip those passes, because every slow D-to-D pass meant the receiver had exactly zero room to breathe against a Q forecheck that was going after everything.
I think this is a long time Schafer issue. The breakout after we get possession in the defensive zone is always so goddamn slow if the other team puts anyone out in front of the goal even if the rest of the other team is on a line change. I've never understood why we do it even when we are playing a team that doesn't really put on an aggressive forecheck. I don't have problems with Schafer generally but this one thing has always driven me nuts.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2022 07:54AM

Interesting comment from Schafer at the end of this week’s email update:

Mike Schafer
This weekend, we make a road-trip to the North Country before returning to Lynah the following weekend. Friday we play St. Lawrence (5-4 overall, 2-0 ECAC) and on Saturday we face Clarkson (3-6 overall, 1-1 ECAC), so competition continues and games aren’t getting easier. I sometimes wonder how our league generates the schedules … other Ivy schools have played their first four games against other Ivy opponents but strong competition early in season will make us better at the end.

Full update: [www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]

Date: November 10, 2022 09:42AM

ugarte
Scersk '97

What I saw to work on? D-to-D passing was truly atrocious all game long. These pairings need to develop some confidence in each other and zip those passes, because every slow D-to-D pass meant the receiver had exactly zero room to breathe against a Q forecheck that was going after everything.

I think this is a long time Schafer issue. The breakout after we get possession in the defensive zone is always so goddamn slow if the other team puts anyone out in front of the goal even if the rest of the other team is on a line change. I've never understood why we do it even when we are playing a team that doesn't really put on an aggressive forecheck. I don't have problems with Schafer generally but this one thing has always driven me nuts.

For what it's worth, the breakout wasn't really a problem the other night; we got out from behind the cage and made the first couple of passes just fine. It was more a tentative first pass after a retreat from the neutral zone or a defensive miscue that forced a chase. Bad breakouts are frustrating and waste time, particularly on the power play, but poor passing in the other situations I mention is, to my mind, much more dangerous since the forwards have already transitioned to offensive positioning.

Date: November 11, 2022 08:21AM

If Cornell and Princeton were the travel pair then the league could rotate through the three Ivy pairs AB, AC, BC in the first three weekends and we would have have 4 Ivy opponents in our first 6 games. That we do not have an Ivy partner leaves us playing the other singleton on the first 2 weekends and then an Ivy pair in the third. It's really the best the league can do.

Dump Q, pick up Utica College. CGT/UTC and COR/PRN. Problem solved.

Date: November 11, 2022 10:03AM

Trotsky
Dump Q, pick up Utica College RIT. CGT/UTC RIT and COR/PRN. Problem solved.

FYP. It would suck to have Princeton as a travel partner, but so be it.

Date: November 11, 2022 02:40PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

I was thinking if RIT joined we would be their natural partner. Utica was about the only place I could imagine being paired with Colgate.

I'm not sure if a PRN pairing would be bad. It's an awful trip between them which would tire the opponent out.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2022 02:41PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.57.---)
Date: November 11, 2022 05:11PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

I was thinking if RIT joined we would be their natural partner. Utica was about the only place I could imagine being paired with Colgate.

I'm not sure if a PRN pairing would be bad. It's an awful trip between them which would tire the opponent out.

PU-Q takes around 4 hours with NYC traffic.
PU-CU takes about 4 hours with a route taking you through Scranton.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.216.---)
Date: November 11, 2022 05:34PM

If Penn ever got its act together and brought back a D1 team, a lot of these problems would be solved because you could just have them as a travel partner to Princeton

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 06:09PM

Iceberg
If Penn ever got its act together and brought back a D1 team, a lot of these problems would be solved because you could just have them as a travel partner to Princeton

We all know who the problem is and will continue to be: Qorporate Qommunity Qollege. Pitch them, and a lot of options open up.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-54.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 09:15PM

3 x 3 about to play out in Troy after Sucks ties the game in the 3rd.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 09:33PM

marty

Scanning to see what other games are on and spotted Delaware @ Liberty. I blinked. Listed as “NCAAM hockey.”

No. When did ESPN+ start showing club team games? Bizarre.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 10:17PM

RichH
marty

Scanning to see what other games are on and spotted Delaware @ Liberty. I blinked. Listed as “NCAAM hockey.”

No. When did ESPN+ start showing club team games? Bizarre.

Liberty has some sort of strange arrangement and has had their club team on espn for years.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-206-227.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:20PM

Liberty is growing many of its sports, most notably football (currently ranked #19 is D1 FBS, same group as Georgia). Our son was a student trainer at U of Lynchberg who interned for their hockey team a decade ago and even then their club team put in a lot of bus miles. Helps spread the word. Or Word. The campus rink, LaHaye, seats 4,000 but it's not a luxe facility the way, say, Quinnipac is. Broadcast features are nice. The press box has a couple TV booths and there's a remote camera on a boom about 10 feet out from the booth.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-206-227.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:20PM

Liberty is growing many of its sports, most notably football (currently ranked #19 is D1 FBS, same group as Georgia). Our son was a student trainer at U of Lynchberg who interned for their hockey team a decade ago and even then their club team put in a lot of bus miles. Helps spread the word. Or Word. The campus rink, LaHaye, seats 4,000 but it's not a luxe facility the way, say, Quinnipac is. Broadcast features are nice. The press box has a couple TV booths and there's a remote camera on a boom about 10 feet out from the booth.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: November 12, 2022 12:04AM

Liberty has made great gains with their swimming teams. It's almost like the people in charge of keeping their pools in good shape are really really motivated somehow. I wonder what their secret is?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 12, 2022 12:48AM

Liberty: Quinnipiac for the home schooled.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2022 11:00AM

This should be a banner year for detailed discussions of ice-hockey venues: in-depth discussions seating arrangements at away games and critiques of opponent hockey fan audiences.

Date: November 17, 2022 03:25PM

osorojo
This should be a banner year for detailed discussions of ice-hockey venues: in-depth discussions seating arrangements at away games and critiques of opponent hockey fan audiences.
Many of us grew up, or grew older, on Seinfield, the show about nothing. And it entertained. In 2023, gone (as first-runs) a quarter century. As to your comment above.

Jerry in that time has gone from "how can't he date women who aren't quirky-unto-crazy [okay, that was the plot of half the shows] to alter kaker.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 17, 2022 04:10PM

QED

Date: November 17, 2022 06:33PM

Everyone who grew up on Long Island in the 70s had six guys in their high school who were exactly like Seinfeld, except they were funny.

That show is more ridiculously overhyped than the Beatles.

Date: November 17, 2022 08:47PM

Trotsky
Everyone who grew up on Long Island in the 70s had six guys in their high school who were exactly like Seinfeld, except they were funny.

And Christy Brinkley flagged down Billy Joel. It showed geeky guys from the Island could meet and marry famous models. At least the ones who could fill the Garden. Speaking of which, I'm getting messages at least once a week reminding me to get tickets for the UConn. Wonder how full it will be.

Seinfeld is different-funny from Dangerfield. Or Taylor Tomlinson. Or Robin Williams. None of them could make The Whisperer episode work. (GF of the moment speaks is a very soft voice. Also creates puffy pirate sleeve shirts for men, makes Seinfeld wear one on a TV interview. He makes fun of the shirt. As he walks offstage, the girlfriend screams, "You bastard," and Seinfield says, "THAT I heard."

Maybe I'm jealous of him. Or his cars.

Date: November 17, 2022 09:25PM

billhoward
Trotsky

And Christy Brinkley flagged down Billy Joel. It showed geeky guys from the Island could meet and marry famous models. At least the ones who could fill the Garden. Speaking of which, I'm getting messages at least once a week reminding me to get tickets for the UConn. Wonder how full it will be.

Seinfeld is different-funny from Dangerfield. Or Taylor Tomlinson. Or Robin Williams. None of them could make The Whisperer episode work. (GF of the moment speaks is a very soft voice. Also creates puffy pirate sleeve shirts for men, makes Seinfeld wear one on a TV interview. He makes fun of the shirt. As he walks offstage, the girlfriend screams, "You bastard," and Seinfield says, "THAT I heard."

Somewhat OT, although if you'll be @ MSG for UConn, maybe not.

A couple of years ago, my wife & I decided to try a comedy club in NYC. So we went to the Gotham Comedy Club. The card consisted of about 6 relatively unknown comics. IIRC, cover charge was $15 each, with each of us having a minimum of 2 items from the menu. A hamburger & a beer set me back maybe $20, so the total cost for the two of us was about $70.

At roughly half way through the show we saw some guy come in the door & start taking off his coat. He was too far away to see his face. The MC announced that we had a last-minute addition to the card. Sure enough Seinfeld did an impromptu act for about 40 minutes.

I watched Crashing and believe it gives a realistic sense of the NYC comedy scene. I think the practice of big name comics just dropping in on a club is not uncommon. And I think those who have struggled to make it big, often want to give back. Some of them also want to try out new material. In any case, you have to feel good about people who do such things.

Date: November 17, 2022 09:25PM

billhoward
Trotsky

Somewhat OT, although if you'll be @ MSG for UConn, maybe not.

A couple of years ago, my wife & I decided to try a comedy club in NYC. So we went to the Gotham Comedy Club. The card consisted of about 6 relatively unknown comics. IIRC, cover charge was $15 each, with each of us having a minimum of 2 items from the menu. A hamburger & a beer set me back maybe $20, so the total cost for the two of us was about $70.

At roughly half way through the show we saw some guy come in the door & start taking off his coat. He was too far away to see his face. The MC announced that we had a last-minute addition to the card. Sure enough Seinfeld did an impromptu act for about 40 minutes.

I watched Crashing and believe it gives a realistic sense of the NYC comedy scene. I think the practice of big name comics just dropping in on a club is not uncommon. And I think those who have struggled to make it big, often want to give back. Some of them also want to try out new material. In any case, you have to feel good about people who do such things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login