Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Athletic correctness

Posted by osorojo 
Athletic correctness
Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 08, 2022 11:21AM

I overheard this statement at an away game at Colgate in the mid-60's - between periods in a walkway leading to the dressing room between and beneath fans' bleachers. Cornell was clobbering Colgate. Colgate coach to Harkness: "Hey, ease up a little." Harkness: "Go **** yourself!" I miss Cornell winning hockey games and the lively spirit [versus dissertations] which accompanied these wins.

Re: Athletic correctness
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2022 11:34AM

It's a cute anecdote, but I sure hope you're not suggesting that Cornell's more recent relative lack of national success is largely or even partly due to Schafer's unwillingness to tell Don Vaughan and his peers to go **** themselves.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-35.myvzw.com)
Date: September 08, 2022 11:38AM

Beeeej
It's a cute anecdote, but I sure hope you're not suggesting that Cornell's more recent relative lack of national success is largely or even partly due to Schafer's unwillingness to tell Don Vaughan and his peers to go **** themselves.

We also don't know how many coaches Schafer is or isn't telling to go **** themselves.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2022 11:41AM

osorojo
I overheard this statement at an away game at Colgate in the mid-60's - between periods in a walkway leading to the dressing room between and beneath fans' bleachers. Cornell was clobbering Colgate. Colgate coach to Harkness: "Hey, ease up a little." Harkness: "Go **** yourself!" I miss Cornell winning hockey games and the lively spirit [versus dissertations] which accompanied these wins.

Harkness at a freshman game, “Johnny [Hughes] why the **** don’t you skate!” It obviously had an impact, as he became one of the all-time greats. RIP, Johnny.

Date: September 10, 2022 11:34AM

Intensity, not decorum, is the soul of sports.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2022 01:55PM

osorojo
Intensity, not decorum, is the soul of sports.
"Everyone has an aesthetic until they get punched in the mouth."

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2022 09:10PM

Dafatone
Beeeej

We also don't know how many coaches Schafer is or isn't telling to go **** themselves.

Although I wouldn't expect Vaughan to make that list.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: September 13, 2022 12:40PM

I'm not promoting vulgarity - or blasphemy - only a winning spirit.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2022 09:05PM

osorojo
I'm not promoting vulgarity - or blasphemy - only a winning spirit.
What is your proof that the Cornell hockey program is lacking “intensity“ and a “winning spirit”?

Date: September 14, 2022 08:07AM

"Promoting a winning spirit" is hardly denying such spirit exists. Quite the contrary. I began attending C.U. hockey games when the rink opened, watched C.U. battle Susquehanna, traveled to exotic venues like Princeton and Brown to attend games. Now I live over 1,000 miles from the nearest Cornell hockey game and seldom get to see a live game, That is the pitiful wisp of validity to your critique.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 07:20PM by osorojo.

Date: September 14, 2022 10:05AM

osorojo
What on earth makes you suspect Cornell Hockey lacks a winning spirit? "Promoting a winning spirit" is hardly denying such spirit exists. Quite the contrary.
In your first post you said: “I miss Cornell winning hockey games and the lively spirit [versus dissertations] which accompanied these wins.” Then you said you were “promoting a winning spirit,” which implies a winning spirit is lacking.

So then what is your point exactly?

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: September 15, 2022 02:14PM

Had osorojo ever had a point?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 19, 2022 07:44PM

I quickly tire of everyman attempts to parse causes for wins and losses - bag the dissertations on and dissections of wins and losses - even if you are/were a science or math major. You sure as hell weren't a student of logic or language... [e.g] Me: "I support free speech." You: "That implies free speech is lacking."

Date: September 19, 2022 08:10PM

osorojo
I quickly tire

Not every race is for every runner.

Your incapacity isn't binding on others.

Date: September 19, 2022 09:53PM

osorojo
I quickly tire of everyman attempts to parse causes for wins and losses - bag the dissertations on and dissections of wins and losses - even if you are/were a science or math major. You sure as hell weren't a student of logic or language... [e.g] Me: "I support free speech." You: "That implies free speech is lacking."
You: “I miss free speech.”
Me: “So you think there is an inadequate amount of free speech? If you long for a thing, it logically follows that you believe such thing is lacking.”
You: “Clearly you were not a logic or language major.”

Date: September 20, 2022 09:36AM

You proclaim "People who mention free speech [me] are against free speech." [See above] I concede the point. Your argument Trumps all objection.

you:

Date: September 20, 2022 12:12PM

What we have here is a generation gap, a big generation gap! During several years of the 1960's Cornell fans assumed Big Red Men's hockey would win the Ivy league, figured they would go to the D-1 hockey playoffs, and even complained when they did not win the D-1 national hockey championship. It's not like that any more. Today Cornell men's hockey fans are very sensitive to any statement which might possibly be construed as a criticism of the current hockey program. (See Above)

Date: September 20, 2022 09:43PM

osorojo
What we have here is a generation gap, a big generation gap! During several years of the 1960's Cornell fans assumed Big Red Men's hockey would win the Ivy league, figured they would go to the D-1 hockey playoffs, and even complained when they did not win the D-1 national hockey championship. It's not like that any more. Today Cornell men's hockey fans are very sensitive to any statement which might possibly be construed as a criticism of the current hockey program. (See Above)
Dude, I have been following this team for 43 years and I have no idea what you are on about.

You're the only person here who likes to hear himself talk more than I. That's not a good look, trust me.

Less is more.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: September 20, 2022 10:13PM

Trotsky
Dude, I have been following this team for 43 years and I have no idea what you are on about.

You're the only person here who likes to hear himself talk more than I. That's not a good look, trust me.

Less is more.

It's clear to me: osorojo hates nerds. Nerds who analyze things like sports. Ruining their world.

Date: September 20, 2022 10:16PM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 20, 2022 10:20PM

Trotsky
[www.youtube.com]

Great movie. The whole concept ruined baseball, but it was a great movie.

Date: September 20, 2022 10:24PM

I've heard it's an even better book (like The Big Short) but I have not partaken.

Posted by: marty (---.cdn77.com)
Date: September 21, 2022 03:52AM

Trotsky
I've heard it's an even better book (like The Big Short) but I have not partaken.

I'm not into stats and thought the book was fascinating and a well told tale.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2022 06:42AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
[www.youtube.com]

What ruined baseball was the realization by (I think it was) Marlon Byrd that a singles hitter with a .300 avg is worth less than a .240 hitting slugger. He changed his swing angle, started hitting homers, and got bigger contracts. He became the role model for the modern baseball player.

In 1980, 11 players had over 100 strikeouts. Today, over 150 players strike out 100 times in a season.

Now baseball is changing the rules to prevent shifts with 3 infielders on one side of the diamond, or deep on the outfield grass. These shifts are only effective because upper-cutting players have less bat control and cannot adjust their swings to take advantage of the shift.

Basically, the game has gone to hell, but I am a moron who used to love it, but still am addicted, even though I am constantly frustrated by lack of fundamentals, unproductive at-bats, and the near disappearance of 'baseball IQ'

Date: September 21, 2022 08:28AM

nshapiro
Basically, the game has gone to hell, but I am a moron who used to love it, but still am addicted, even though I am constantly frustrated by lack of fundamentals, unproductive at-bats, and the near disappearance of 'baseball IQ'

I'm just happy Keith Hernandez has time to post here. B-]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 08:28AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (136.226.49.---)
Date: September 21, 2022 08:40AM

marty
Trotsky

Pretty much anything by Michael Lewis kicks ass. ("Flash Boys" is my personal favorite.)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2022 09:14AM

nshapiro
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
[www.youtube.com]

What ruined baseball was the realization by (I think it was) Marlon Byrd that a singles hitter with a .300 avg is worth less than a .240 hitting slugger. He changed his swing angle, started hitting homers, and got bigger contracts. He became the role model for the modern baseball player.

If you ask me, walk-up music ruined baseball, but that's less fundamental.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2022 09:48AM

nshapiro
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
[www.youtube.com]

In 1980, 11 players had over 100 strikeouts. Today, over 150 players strike out 100 times in a season.

Now baseball is changing the rules to prevent shifts with 3 infielders on one side of the diamond, or deep on the outfield grass. These shifts are only effective because upper-cutting players have less bat control and cannot adjust their swings to take advantage of the shift.

Aaron Judge hit his 60th home run last night.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: September 21, 2022 10:29AM

jtwcornell91
If you ask me, walk-up music ruined baseball, but that's less fundamental.

All things have gone downhill since the invention of the amplifier.

Date: September 21, 2022 10:44AM

marty
Trotsky

Well, that tears it - I've been keeping it shelved for a while, but I'm bringing it with me to Germany for next week.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-38.myvzw.com)
Date: September 21, 2022 02:14PM

Baseball is fine. There's probably a combination of tweaks, like moving the mound back just a little (more contact) and making the ball a little more dead (weaker contact) that would result in more action.

But it's fine! Guys throw 95mph sliders. There's only so much you can do to increase balls in play.

Date: September 21, 2022 09:19PM

Dafatone
Baseball is fine. There's probably a combination of tweaks, like moving the mound back just a little (more contact) and making the ball a little more dead (weaker contact) that would result in more action.

But it's fine! Guys throw 95mph sliders. There's only so much you can do to increase balls in play.

The philosophy of "Homers or strikeouts." That's ruined the game, too.

Date: September 21, 2022 09:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone

Are homers and strikeouts less exciting than singles and ground outs? Fewer stolen bases is no good, that’s definitely true.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2022 12:33AM

Beeeej
marty
Trotsky

Well, that tears it - I've been keeping it shelved for a while, but I'm bringing it with me to Germany for next week.

If you've got room in your bag, also throw in "The Premonition - a Pandemic Story", by Michael Lewis. I think it's his best book yet.

Date: September 22, 2022 08:18AM

BearLover
Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone

Are homers and strikeouts less exciting than singles and ground outs? Fewer stolen bases is no good, that’s definitely true.

Depends. A bunch of singles strung together can be extremely exciting. Taking the strategy out of the game and making it one-dimensional makes it less interesting to me.

But YMMV

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.mtnsat.com)
Date: September 22, 2022 10:44AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
BearLover
Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone

Depends. A bunch of singles strung together can be extremely exciting. Taking the strategy out of the game and making it one-dimensional makes it less interesting to me.

But YMMV
Baserunning to stretch a hit or getting to third on a single or beating the throw to home is more exciting than jogging around the bases.

Date: September 22, 2022 10:55AM

Chris H82
Beeeej
marty
Trotsky

If you've got room in your bag, also throw in "The Premonition - a Pandemic Story", by Michael Lewis. I think it's his best book yet.

I wouldn't get a hard copy in time if I ordered it now, but I could always download to Kindle anytime next week anyway. Thanks!

- Steve Worona

Date: September 22, 2022 11:21AM

BearLover
Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone

I'd say homers are exciting. Strikeouts are the big one that isn't exciting. Balls in play are good.

Date: September 22, 2022 11:23AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Dafatone

It's kind of a chicken and egg thing. Guys throw much harder with better break (and arguably less control). If you're gonna make less contact because stuff is more untouchable, you might as well make that contact count.

Also, umps have decided that the strike zone is shins to thighs for some reason. Low zone = uppercut swings. I'd love for them to call actual letter-high strikes again.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2022 02:37PM

Uh...guys/gals ... hockey???!

Date: September 22, 2022 04:44PM

If you can't sing good, sing loud. If you can't talk sense, talk lots.

Date: September 22, 2022 06:21PM

George64
Aaron Judge hit his 60th home run last night.

He's goin to be something when he gets to a major league.

Date: September 22, 2022 06:23PM

Scersk '97
All things have gone downhill since the invention of the arquebus.

Fixed.

Date: September 22, 2022 06:25PM

Larry72

< Looks at calendar. >

"In a little while, man."

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2022 09:47AM

Larry72
We should all use TD Bank. It might stand for thread drift.

Posted by: ithacat (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2022 12:41PM

billhoward
We should all use TD Bank. It might stand for thread drift.

I used to but tired of their website being down so much.

Posted by: French Rage (136.226.49.---)
Date: September 23, 2022 10:18PM

Larry72

That was never the subject of this thread; it was always about the OP's self-fellating.

Date: September 24, 2022 02:45PM

There you have it - from an expert on the subject.
Honi Soit qui Mal y Pense.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 02:49PM by osorojo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login