Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2022-23 Predictions

Posted by BearLover 
2022-23 Predictions
Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2022 10:57AM

I predict the ECAC top 4 as follows:

1. Harvard—this year’s roster may be the most talented team in ECAC history, in terms of future NHL talent at least. They are slated to have 15 draft picks, easily the most in program history and per my quick look-over the most of any team in the NCAAs (and yes, that includes Michigan, BU, BC, Minnesota, etc.). Outside of Nick Abruzzese, all of the major contributors are returning. The highlight is sophomore F and first-rounder Matthew Coronato, but they are supremely talented up and down the lineup. Harvard is the favorite to win the ECAC and has a good shot at making the Frozen Four.

2. Quinnipiac—many returning seniors and fifth-year players, including D Zach Metsa (10-27-37 in 42 games last year). G Yaniv Perets put up incredible numbers (.939 sv%, 1.17 GAA, 11 SO) in his first full season. Q may start the year ahead of Harvard before Harvard’s young talent comes together as a team. Third-round pick Ty Smilanic transferred out, but they’re still older and deeper than Cornell and Clarkson. Q should have a good shot at the NCAAs.

3. Cornell—Clarkson and Cornell are bubble NCAA teams on paper, and both are a big step ahead of the rest of the ECAC, so a first-round bye is the expectation. Both look a tier below Harvard/Q, though. Cornell will have a balanced team next year at every position, with some star power at the top in Andreev, Stienburg, and Malinski. Between Shane and Keopple it’s likely they have a serviceable goaltender, and it’s possible they even have a very good one. Transfer Seger and the incoming freshmen (all older with multiple years of junior experience) should adjust to the college game fast than the average newcomer. Losing Ertel is a big loss, but a lot of that loss will manifest itself over the long-term trajectory of the program (losing him for the next three years) rather than in the immediate term (losing him for the upcoming season).

4. Clarkson—better than Cornell for most of last year, but they’ve lost more to graduation than Cornell has. They’ll continue to play the same heavy, defense-oriented style as Cornell, but their top line and PP unit looked more lethal than Cornell’s when I watched them last year (mostly when they played Cornell). They make cross-ice passes in the offensive zone better than Cornell does. As such, they may be more top-heavy than Cornell. I think it’s a coin flip between Cornell and Clarkson for who finishes 3rd/4th.

No real thoughts on the rest of the ECAC. Colgate upset Cornell to make Lake Placid last year, but that was more a fluke than anything, and on paper their roster is getting worse, not better. It will be a struggle for any one of these eight teams to earn a bye (though, statistically speaking, the combined likelihood of each of these teams getting a bye makes it more likely than not that one of them pulls it off).

Cornell is going to lose a lot of really good players to graduation in 2023, so this is a big year.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 11:40AM by BearLover.

Re: 2022-23 Predictions
Posted by: abmarks (73.61.18.---)
Date: August 15, 2022 10:14PM

BearLover
They are slated to have 15 draft picks, easily the most in program history and per my quick look-over the most of any team in the NCAAs (and yes, that includes Michigan, BU, BC, Minnesota, etc.).

15? Wow. They'll be fun to watch, especially in the second half of the season, regardless of arch-rival status blah blah

Posted by: abmarks (107.77.76.---)
Date: August 15, 2022 11:23PM

abmarks
BearLover
They are slated to have 15 draft picks, easily the most in program history and per my quick look-over the most of any team in the NCAAs (and yes, that includes Michigan, BU, BC, Minnesota, etc.).

15? Wow. They'll be fun to watch, especially in the second half of the season, regardless of arch-rival status blah blah

CHN has them at 16 picks, not 15, unless there's something I'm missing. This is based on CHNs Sucks 22-23 roster listing

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2022 11:56PM

abmarks
abmarks
BearLover

CHN has them at 16 picks, not 15, unless there's something I'm missing. This is based on CHNs Sucks 22-23 roster listing

John Fusco apparently has transferred to Dartmouth

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2022 12:17PM

abmarks
abmarks
BearLover

Abruzzese signed with the Maple Leafs, but the CHN list omits defenseman Ian Moore, who was a 3rd round draft choice last year of Anaheim (and is the son of my fraternity brother at Cornell :`-()

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 16, 2022 01:06PM

I take it suggesting any connection between coaching and winning is out-of-bounds? I have watched several coaches win numerous games for their teams - Harkness not the least of which.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: August 16, 2022 01:44PM

osorojo
I take it suggesting any connection between coaching and winning is out-of-bounds? I have watched several coaches win numerous games for their teams - Harkness not the least of which.

But THIS doesn't happen in a typical hockey game. Was Woody out-of-bounds?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 01:47PM by marty.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2022 03:27PM

marty
osorojo

This version is more informative and much more entertaining.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2022 04:19PM

Swampy
marty
osorojo

This version is more informative and much more entertaining.

I watched that game live, and to this day I can't fathom what was going through Woody's mind. It was a second-tier bowl game with nothing really on the line.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2022 05:22PM

scoop85
I watched that game live, and to this day I can't fathom what was going through Woody's mind.

I'll go with "authoritarian loses his shit." It's pretty obvious.

Date: August 21, 2022 11:45AM

I love this hockey argot.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2022 11:10PM

This firing of an out of control Woody Hayes was the beginning of the end for the idea that nothing a great coach did could cost him his job. Except that ...

two decades later Penn State's president wanted Joe Paterno to retire (early 2000s), Paterno rudely told president Graham Spanier no way, Paterno kept his job for nearly another decade, the sex abuse scandal built, and in 2011 both Spanier and Paterno were sacked.

Date: October 16, 2022 10:52PM

TBRW Predictions.

The transfer portal likely means I have miscalculated returning points, and I'll have to revise a few times as I find errors, but... that's my story so far.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2022 10:56PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.datapacket.com)
Date: October 17, 2022 02:19PM

Trotsky
TBRW Predictions.

The transfer portal likely means I have miscalculated returning points, and I'll have to revise a few times as I find errors, but... that's my story so far.

This is very entertaining. But may I suggest you present the errors with "+" or "-" (ERROR = PREDICTED - ACTUAL)?

For example, in 2022 you predicted 2, but the actual was 4, so the error was -2. But in 2020 you predicted 2, but the actual was 1, so the error was +1.

This would make the error column more easily interpreted.

Date: October 17, 2022 05:45PM

So you want me to sign the errors? Yes, I can do that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2022 12:00AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 11, 2022 09:51PM

Still feeling pretty good about my prediction of
Harvard/Quinnipiac
—big gap—
Cornell/Clarkson
—big gap—
everyone else

Not that this was a particularly difficult prediction to make. Harvard (insane talent) and Q (bunch of 24-year-olds) have things no one else in the league can match.

Date: December 07, 2022 01:18PM

Cornell has dug themselves a hole. In particular, starting the season at Minn-Duluth is killing them. The Red really need to win a high percentage of their remaining games to compete for an at-large bid. It’s possible—Cornell has been playing pretty well lately—but I think it’s unlikely at this point.

There is no strategic or intelligent discussion in the above paragraph. But with a break in the season, I thought it would be worth taking stock of where things are.

Notably, Cornell is approximately where they were in the PWR at this time last year. I think this year’s team is better, though last year’s team did not end up coming close to an at-large bid.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-241.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2022 02:13PM

BearLover
Cornell has dug themselves a hole. In particular, starting the season at Minn-Duluth is killing them. The Red really need to win a high percentage of their remaining games to compete for an at-large bid. It’s possible—Cornell has been playing pretty well lately—but I think it’s unlikely at this point.

There is no strategic or intelligent discussion in the above paragraph. But with a break in the season, I thought it would be worth taking stock of where things are.

Notably, Cornell is approximately where they were in the PWR at this time last year. I think this year’s team is better, though last year’s team did not end up coming close to an at-large bid.

I think it's a little circular. We finished nowhere near a bid last year, but had we swept Colgate and won a game in Lake Placid, I bet we would've been close.

No, I'm not going to try to crunch any numbers on that.

This year, if we get a top-4 finish and get to Lake Placid, I bet we wind up close to an at-large.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 03:31PM

imo we have a young team that had a rocky start to the year (partially because UMD was too early in our prep but tbh UMD's subsequent performance is killing us as much as the games against them is). i don't know if we can come back from that start well enough to survive in the postseason without winning the conference title. that said, it's definitely a squad that shows promise for the next couple of years; the upperclassmen have been the problem, not the kids imo.

Date: December 07, 2022 03:34PM

ugarte
imo we have a young team that had a rocky start to the year (partially because UMD was too early in our prep but tbh UMD's subsequent performance is killing us as much as the games against them is). i don't know if we can come back from that start well enough to survive in the postseason without winning the conference title. that said, it's definitely a squad that shows promise for the next couple of years; the upperclassmen have been the problem, not the kids imo.
Also, Quinnipiac’s fifth-year seniors will finally be forced to do something else with their lives next year.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2022 04:55PM

Dafatone
BearLover

I think it's a little circular. We finished nowhere near a bid last year, but had we swept Colgate and won a game in Lake Placid, I bet we would've been close.

No, I'm not going to try to crunch any numbers on that.

This year, if we get a top-4 finish and get to Lake Placid, I bet we wind up close to an at-large.

Maybe. Beating BU and AIC would go a long way. It’s tough that the bad teams in the ECAC now seem to be the bad teams nationally. I don’t have any data but I think the bad ECAC teams used to be way better than the Canisius and Mercyhurts of the world - doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 06:15PM

if you win those first 2 instead of losing we are just about top 5 in PWR right now.

even winning 1 game puts us in the top 15

or winning the harvard game which was there to be had. put us in top 15

I mean we are right around 20 whose to say the 4-5 teams above us dont play worse either.

RIT is gonna get dragged down the by the league as well.
omaha is 8-6 maybe they dont stay over .500
WMU is 10-8 ditto
Mass Lowell 9-6-1
Mass 7-5-3

if we win the games against the bottom teams we could jump up without even beating the b-u/quin/harv teams

Taken in a vacuum IF BU was the only game played tomorrow and we won we would jump up to 15,

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 06:17PM

I mean starting the season who had us at #1 right now in GA/G at 1.8?

Date: December 08, 2022 04:58PM

Harvard has 15 or 16 hockey players who currently have contracts with NHL teams. How many current C.U. hockey players have contracts with NHL teams, and who are these professional prospects?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2022 07:44PM

osorojo
Harvard has 15 or 16 hockey players who currently have contracts with NHL teams. How many current C.U. hockey players have contracts with NHL teams, and who are these professional prospects?

Contracts? Do draft picks have contracts while they're still in college?

I always thought contracts involve some compensation, and I haven't been following the rules on NIL. So, maybe they do have contracts. Please enlighten.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 08:14PM

Swampy
osorojo

Contracts? Do draft picks have contracts while they're still in college?

I always thought contracts involve some compensation, and I haven't been following the rules on NIL. So, maybe they do have contracts. Please enlighten.

They do not have contracts. Many never will.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 01:17AM

i think he means former harvard players in NHL team systems. i'm not going to check but at least give his ramblings a not-completely-stupid interpretation if you are going to engage with them.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: December 09, 2022 07:24AM

ugarte
i think he means former harvard players in NHL team systems. i'm not going to check but at least give his ramblings a not-completely-stupid interpretation if you are going to engage with them.

It would be interesting to compare the percent of Harvard draft picks that end up with lasting ahl/nhl contracts compared to us and the rest of the league (This could maybe point to how good programs are at prepping players for higher level of play)

Of course we'd have to define what "lasting" contract means

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: December 09, 2022 08:37AM

Dunc
It would be interesting to compare the percent of Harvard draft picks that end up with lasting ahl/nhl contracts compared to us and the rest of the league (This could maybe point to how good programs are at prepping players for higher level of play)

That would be interesting. I would look at two things: (1) the net NHL GP of each school's alumni going back over various intervals and (2) that against some predictive measure of how like draft picks are expected to produce.

It's probably just selective perception but I would swear that Boston area teams' players are hyped more and pushed into higher draft slots than their subsequent NHL production justifies, and of these Harvard is the chief beneficiary/offender.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 08:38AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 09, 2022 08:39AM

upprdeck
I mean starting the season who had us at #1 right now in GA/G at 1.8?

I thought somebody was under 1.0? Maybe that was just a single goalie.

Date: December 09, 2022 08:41AM

CU2007
It’s tough that the bad teams in the ECAC now seem to be the bad teams nationally. I don’t have any data but I think the bad ECAC teams used to be way better than the Canisius and Mercyhurts of the world - doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

It has frequently been the case that our terrible teams can lose to anybody.

I'd check TBRW but I just noticed it's down. Maybe I should have paid that server bill after all.

Date: December 09, 2022 08:53AM

ugarte
I'm an optimist but I think the upper classmen are still playing well. Stienburg, Andreev, Berard are the ones people are worried about not producing, and I think they are all playing good Cornell hockey, getting to pucks, setting things up, getting a ton of good shots off. The points will come.

We are where I thought we would be -- UMD series was trouble; we all knew that. The ECAC has no surprises this year except Colgate is doing better and Clarkson worse than expected. Those 4 games will decide whether we finish 3, 4 or 5. Finishing 3rd would be playing a QF opponent we ought to beat. Otherwise it will be a crapshoot to get back to Placid.

IMO any Ivy not absolutely devastated after missing an entire season should count their blessings.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: December 09, 2022 03:57PM

Trotsky
Dunc

That would be interesting. I would look at two things: (1) the net NHL GP of each school's alumni going back over various intervals and (2) that against some predictive measure of how like draft picks are expected to produce.

It's probably just selective perception but I would swear that Boston area teams' players are hyped more and pushed into higher draft slots than their subsequent NHL production justifies, and of these Harvard is the chief beneficiary/offender.
Yeah that seems like a good proposal - I’ll look into working out the numbers once my finals are over haha

And yeah I have the same perception about prospects from Boston (being a Bruins fan it’s even more skewed for our team cuz our management *really* likes to select players either from Boston or those committed to a college in Boston)

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2022 04:33PM

Cornell up to 18 in Pairwise after a stellar weekend

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 11, 2022 04:54PM

adamw

We were up to 17 before Notre Dame won.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-215.myvzw.com)
Date: December 11, 2022 06:32PM

adamw

Someone wise once said that sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-206-236.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2022 01:03PM

arugula
Someone wise once said that sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing.
You mean like playing a pair in front of 750 fans against American International?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login