Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ertel to OHL

Posted by ithacat 
Ertel to OHL
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2022 06:21AM

Justin Ertel has jumped to the OHL.

Re: Ertel to OHL
Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 06:29AM

ithacat

Does this mean... hes no longer with us...?

Schafer too Tortorella-like and failing to vibe with the new gen
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 08:53AM by blackwidow.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:26AM

blackwidow
ithacat

Yes, once a player signs with a major junior team, he loses NCAA eligibility

Date: June 18, 2022 11:47AM

scoop85
blackwidow
ithacat

i follow junior hockey and college scene closely but i was so utterly in shock and denial that I just needed someone else to confirm this. im devastated.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 12:10PM

Scores one goal all season, gets scratched from the playoffs, quits the team. Sounds about right.

Date: June 18, 2022 12:12PM

blackwidow
scoop85
blackwidow
ithacat

i follow junior hockey and college scene closely but i was so utterly in shock and denial that I just needed someone else to confirm this. im devastated.

While disappointing, we’ll survive. “Devastated” is when a loved one dies.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 12:45PM by scoop85.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 12:18PM

ithacat
I find it interesting that the GM of his OHL team had this to say:
“The level he was playing is as close to pro hockey as you’re going to get, when you’re playing 24-, 25-year-old guys, and roles are different. What you’re going to see when he’s playing against kids his own age in our league is he’s going to be a much more offensive contributor. He’s going to be put into situations where he can succeed. It speaks to his game that he can play anywhere in the lineup.”

The OHL used to proudly boast that it was a stronger league than NCAA hockey, but he's saying quite the opposite.

Date: June 18, 2022 12:25PM

jkahn
ithacat
I find it interesting that the GM of his OHL team had this to say:
“The level he was playing is as close to pro hockey as you’re going to get, when you’re playing 24-, 25-year-old guys, and roles are different. What you’re going to see when he’s playing against kids his own age in our league is he’s going to be a much more offensive contributor. He’s going to be put into situations where he can succeed. It speaks to his game that he can play anywhere in the lineup.”

The OHL used to proudly boast that it was a stronger league than NCAA hockey, but he's saying quite the opposite.

Guess we saw a bit of this line of thinking when some small section of hockey fans thought Eichel may turn out to be as good as Connor McDavid because Eichel was tearing it up in the NCAA against the guys that are much older. Those people were thinking the NCAA was closer to playing pro and hence maybe somewhat more competitive than the OHL in certain aspects (physicality, more of structured game plays, etc)

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 12:41PM

I don't know anything about Ertel but it also may be that he realized that college was not right for him while trying to prepare for a career playing hockey. Had he transferred elsewhere in the NCAA you might be able to argue it was because of dissatisfaction with the Cornell program. The OHL suggests a different motivation.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 03:17PM

dag14
I don't know anything about Ertel but it also may be that he realized that college was not right for him while trying to prepare for a career playing hockey. Had he transferred elsewhere in the NCAA you might be able to argue it was because of dissatisfaction with the Cornell program. The OHL suggests a different motivation.
Maybe. He certainly did not seem to endear himself to the coaching staff while he was here.

Date: June 18, 2022 03:22PM

Trotsky
dag14
Maybe. He certainly did not seem to endear himself to the coaching staff while he was here.

I don't know if this is how it is at most other NCAA hockey teams, but i do think that Mike Schafer gets tough on youngsters early on and forces them to buy into the culture of putting the team ahead of everything else. I am not against it or am even remotely qualified enough to say anything bad about it. I just feel like this sort of coaching approach often results in players like Ertel (someone with supposedly high offensive upside and probably used to the team catering to their creative needs) being put off.

Date: June 18, 2022 03:24PM

blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

I don't know if this is how it is at most other NCAA hockey teams, but i do think that Mike Schafer gets tough on youngsters early on and forces them to buy into the culture of putting the team ahead of everything else. I am not against it or am even remotely qualified enough to say anything bad about it. I just feel like this sort of coaching approach often results in players like Ertel (someone with supposedly high offensive upside and probably used to the team catering to their creative needs) being put off.
Again, maybe. But (1) we have had plenty of creative/offensive players stay and flourish, and (2) the sine qua non of Schafer teams will always be name on the front > name on the back, so TBH I'd rather they fail fast than linger and cause morale problems.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 03:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-202.myvzw.com)
Date: June 18, 2022 03:34PM

Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

Again, maybe. But (1) we have had plenty of creative/offensive players stay and flourish, and (2) the sine qua non of Schafer teams will always be name on the front > name on the back, so TBH I'd rather they fail fast than linger and cause morale problems.

I would argue that we havent had an early/mid round draft pick going on to match the expectations at the time of the draft in recent years though. Of course, we have had plenty of non drafted guys and late round picks that went onto have respectable/amazing careers.

Date: June 18, 2022 03:56PM

blackwidow
Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

I would argue that we havent had an early/mid round draft pick going on to match the expectations at the time of the draft in recent years though. Of course, we have had plenty of non drafted guys and late round picks that went onto have respectable/amazing careers.

Stienberg was a 3rd round pick like Ertel and Stienberg had an excellent year in 21-22

Date: June 18, 2022 04:01PM

scoop85
blackwidow
Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

Stienberg was a 3rd round pick like Ertel and Stienberg had an excellent year in 21-22

I hope he goes onto have an amazing pro career but I meant among those that went onto play professionally. Also, I thought Stienberg was somewhat of a surprise 3rd round pick whereas Ertel being a 3rd round pick was more or less in line with the prospect rankings.

Date: June 18, 2022 04:09PM

blackwidow
scoop85
blackwidow
Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

I hope he goes onto have an amazing pro career but I meant among those that went onto play professionally. Also, I thought Stienberg was somewhat of a surprise 3rd round pick whereas Ertel being a 3rd round pick was more or less in line with the prospect rankings.

I belief both of them were drafted higher than projected.

Date: June 18, 2022 04:15PM

scoop85
blackwidow
scoop85
blackwidow
Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
dag14

I belief both of them were drafted higher than projected.

I accept we are unlikely to be like umich but it would be nice to have some guys playing prominent roles in the NHL :'(

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2022 12:09AM

Ertel's story reminds me of Tony Romano's. He also was a hotshot scorer (but 178th in the draft) who left Cornell for the OHL. I don't think he even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. I hope Ertel does.

Date: June 19, 2022 06:52PM

Swampy
Ertel's story reminds me of Tony Romano's. He also was a hotshot scorer (but 178th in the draft) who left Cornell for the OHL. I don't think he even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. I hope Ertel does.
Ertel could be serving cups of coffee at Starbucks in a few years.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2022 07:22PM

BearLover
Swampy

I looked up Sasha Pokulok (#14 overall pick in 2005) and it looks like he’s still at it and played one game in the ECHL last season. He’s been playing in some Quebec league for about a decade since a couple of years in Europe. Last played in the AHL in 2010.

[www.hockeydb.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2022 07:22PM by Weder.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 19, 2022 08:33PM

BearLover
Swampy

More likely Tim Horton's.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-32.myvzw.com)
Date: June 19, 2022 08:43PM

Swampy

Nobody tried to skate through four defenders, got warded off toward the corner, and turned over the puck quite like Tony Romano.

Date: June 19, 2022 10:33PM

Weder
BearLover
Swampy

I looked up Sasha Pokulok (#14 overall pick in 2005) and it looks like he’s still at it and played one game in the ECHL last season. He’s been playing in some Quebec league for about a decade since a couple of years in Europe. Last played in the AHL in 2010.

[www.hockeydb.com]

Wow, i guess cornell was getting some first rounders up until mid 2000s...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2022 10:34PM by blackwidow.

Date: June 20, 2022 02:58AM

Dafatone
Nobody tried to skate through four defenders, got warded off toward the corner, and turned over the puck quite like Tony Romano.
You must not have seen Kent Manderville's freshman season.

Not every guy is emotionally ready. Some get it eventually; some never do.

Date: June 20, 2022 11:40AM

I was not following the team during the year Romano was here, but Ertel was more a power forward than a skill guy. Though he put up unimpressive freshman numbers, Ertel was only 18, and the team as a whole struggled offensively. I think it’s likely he would have developed into a very good player. This is a bad loss given we could have gotten up to three more years from him. It negatively impacts the trajectory of the team over the next three seasons.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: June 20, 2022 12:04PM

BearLover
I was not following the team during the year Romano was here, but Ertel was more a power forward than a skill guy. Though he put up unimpressive freshman numbers, Ertel was only 18, and the team as a whole struggled offensively. I think it’s likely he would have developed into a very good player. This is a bad loss given we could have gotten up to three more years from him. It negatively impacts the trajectory of the team over the next three seasons.

Ehhh… Might have developed; might have been a bust. Our last power forward, Angello, put up far, far better freshman numbers on a team that wasn't exactly given to barnburners. Others, including Lowry, Hynes, and even the ever frustrating John McCarron, also had far better freshman campaigns. I don't think age explains all of it.

If I'm ranking the former freshman now sophomore skaters, I'd say (A) Psenicka (obvs.); (B+) Kempf; (B) Kovich, Suda, Ertel; (B-) Mack; (I) others. With his size, Ertel had the potential to become an A student. That being said, I could also see Mack heading into A-/B+ land if he breaks out of the Jeff Oates mode, because he has the (perhaps also Oatesian) fire.

Now, if Psenicka had left, I'd be most, most unhappy. Like a quicker Bâby with a scoring touch. Haven't had a player like him, well, ever.

Date: June 20, 2022 02:10PM

Scersk '97
BearLover

Ehhh… Might have developed; might have been a bust. Our last power forward, Angello, put up far, far better freshman numbers on a team that wasn't exactly given to barnburners. Others, including Lowry, Hynes, and even the ever frustrating John McCarron, also had far better freshman campaigns. I don't think age explains all of it.

If I'm ranking the former freshman now sophomore skaters, I'd say (A) Psenicka (obvs.); (B+) Kempf; (B) Kovich, Suda, Ertel; (B-) Mack; (I) others. With his size, Ertel had the potential to become an A student. That being said, I could also see Mack heading into A-/B+ land if he breaks out of the Jeff Oates mode, because he has the (perhaps also Oatesian) fire.

Now, if Psenicka had left, I'd be most, most unhappy. Like a quicker Bâby with a scoring touch. Haven't had a player like him, well, ever.
I agree it’s unlikely he would have turned out to be as good a college player as Angello. Though, Ertel is younger than the players you listed. Angello turned 20 March of his freshman year. Ertel turned 19 in May. Psenicka, Kempf, Kovich, Suda are all 20 or older. So I’d say it’s too soon to tell on Ertel, but he has a higher ceiling than all of his classmates due to his age.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2022 03:00PM

BearLover
Scersk '97
BearLover

I agree it’s unlikely he would have turned out to be as good a college player as Angello. Though, Ertel is younger than the players you listed. Angello turned 20 March of his freshman year. Ertel turned 19 in May. Psenicka, Kempf, Kovich, Suda are all 20 or older. So I’d say it’s too soon to tell on Ertel, but he has a higher ceiling than all of his classmates due to his age.

Anthony also had 2 years in the USHL before Cornell. Maybe we've been a little spoiled by the recent transitions made by SAC students, though I think Matt and Morgan were each a year older than Justin during their first year. It's a pretty big jump from prep to D1. Regardless, I wish he was staying and I hope he has a great OHL and pro career.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-219.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2022 04:57PM

ithacat
BearLover
Scersk '97
BearLover

Anthony also had 2 years in the USHL before Cornell. Maybe we've been a little spoiled by the recent transitions made by SAC students, though I think Matt and Morgan were each a year older than Justin during their first year. It's a pretty big jump from prep to D1. Regardless, I wish he was staying and I hope he has a great OHL and pro career.

Wow, you guys are way too kind. I hope he doesnt have a great career. It would somewhat justify his decision to leave and make Cornell player development look bad.

Date: June 20, 2022 06:51PM

blackwidow
Wow, you guys are way too kind. I hope he doesnt have a great career. It would somewhat justify his decision to leave and make Cornell player development look bad.
No. They're just not bad sports.

Date: June 20, 2022 07:29PM

Trotsky
blackwidow
Hockey is a zero-sum game. Why would I root for Ertel, who quit on my team, to succeed ahead of some other random kid?

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-219.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2022 07:43PM

BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow
Hockey is a zero-sum game. Why would I root for Ertel, who quit on my team, to succeed ahead of some other random kid?

This line of thinking makes much more sense to me. I dont see how Ertel having a good career helps Cornell hockey in anyway than hurting it.

Date: June 21, 2022 10:28AM

blackwidow
BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow

This line of thinking makes much more sense to me. I dont see how Ertel having a good career helps Cornell hockey in anyway than hurting it.

Thinking Ertel's development, or lack thereof, is going to have any impact on Cornell hockey whatsoever is the most nonsense nonsense that has ever nonsensed.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2022 10:51AM

Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow

Thinking Ertel's development, or lack thereof, is going to have any impact on Cornell hockey whatsoever is the most nonsense nonsense that has ever nonsensed.
Now I don't have to say this.

Date: June 21, 2022 11:23AM

Al DeFlorio
Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow

Now I don't have to say this.
How Ertel develops is not going to have any impact on Cornell. The only thing that matters has already happened: a promising player decided to bolt from the team after his first season. I’m certainly not going to root for Ertel going forward. I have no reason to. I would most prefer to just forget about him, to be honest.

I hope next year the administration supports a normal school year with no COVID restrictions. Not saying it made the difference here, but I can imagine it’s less fun being a student athlete when you can’t go to the dining hall with your friends and you’re playing in front of a half-empty rink every game.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.princeton.org)
Date: June 21, 2022 11:29AM

Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow

I dont think Cornell's recent player development track record makes Cornell look inviting to early to mid round draft picks. Ertel leaving early makes it look only slightly worse in the best case scenario. I am probably freaking out over nothing because Cornell mens hockey to be fair stopped being a premier destination in collegiate hockey a long time ago :'(

Date: June 21, 2022 11:43AM

blackwidow
Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover
Trotsky
blackwidow

I dont think Cornell's recent player development track record makes Cornell look inviting to early to mid round draft picks. Ertel leaving early makes it look only slightly worse in the best case scenario. I am probably freaking out over nothing because Cornell mens hockey to be fair stopped being a premier destination in collegiate hockey a long time ago :'(
Cornell has a number of higher-end recruits in the pipeline over the next few years. Per the central scouting rankings, Cornell will have at least two players drafted this year. They will not matriculate until 2023, however. Still, it is clear that Cornell is seeing fewer drafted players than at almost any other time in Schafer’s tenure. Three on next year’s roster is fewer than I can ever remember seeing. Unclear if this is because high-end players are less attracted to Cornell than they used to be, or if alternatively it is a broader recruiting philosophy to go after older, more established junior players rather than take shots on 16-year-olds. Looking at the recruits in the pipeline, though, it looks like the coaching staff is back to taking shots on 16-year-olds.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2022 03:57PM

since he's leaving - and wasn't more than a "hmm looks interesting sometimes" player when he was here - i will never think about justin ertel again unless he does something impressive enough to make me wish he stayed.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2022 04:52PM

Maybe Ertel is leaving because Cornell's academics were more than he bargained for. Didya ever think of that?

Oh wait. He was is the hotel school. Nevermind.

Date: June 21, 2022 04:54PM

Swampy
Maybe Ertel is leaving because Cornell's academics were more than he bargained for. Didya ever think of that?

It's not like he's leaving for some easier school. It is possible that hotel school was more than he bargained for. After all, we were told in Intro to Political Philosophy that Wines is the most-failed class at Cornell.

Obligatory hat tip to my friend who shouted "lies" when the professor said that.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2022 09:14PM

Dafatone
Swampy

It's not like he's leaving for some easier school. It is possible that hotel school was more than he bargained for. After all, we were told in Intro to Political Philosophy that Wines is the most-failed class at Cornell.

Obligatory hat tip to my friend who shouted "lies" when the professor said that.

Hat tip to my freshman floor hotelie acquaintance who is running a small airline.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2022 10:00PM

BearLover
Scores one goal all season, gets scratched from the playoffs, quits the team. Sounds about right.
Some players don't grow to meet the promise expected of them. I was looking at the stats for Joey Epstein of John's Hopkins, the highest-rated player of the class entering for the 2019 season:

* 2019, 73 points, All-America third team
* 2020, named co-captain, played only 5 games (injured), 10 points
* 2021, 35 points, All-Academic Big Ten
* 2022, 38 points, co-captain third year
* Career, 100-56--156

Sometimes it's injuries, sometimes it's not continuing to develop skills, sometimes it's the challenge of academics, sometimes it's believing you're better than the coach sees you as.

Good luck to Justin in his new path.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2022 10:07PM by billhoward.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2022 10:04PM

BearLover
Swampy
Tough crowd tonight.

Date: June 22, 2022 12:15AM

marty
Dafatone
Swampy

Hat tip to my freshman floor hotelie acquaintance who is running a small airline.

My freshman roommate was a fantastically wealthy hotelie. I bet he's doing okay.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2022 09:38PM

marty
Dafatone
Swampy

Hotelies do lots of things. My Hotelie daughter went on to medical school and now flies on small commercial flights from her Anchorage base to remote villages several times a year to see her patients there.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.220.---)
Date: June 29, 2022 04:30PM

Interesting this is happening with draft picks. Tyler Boucher (1st round pick) left BU after just 17 games. What I don't like is they're giving up a college education and have 1-2 years to become pro ready against weaker competition. Not sure it's the right move, I wouldn't want my kid to do it. Suck it up, work harder, force your way into the line-up.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: June 29, 2022 04:35PM

RatushnyFan
against weaker competition

This isn't true. While they are younger, the skill level is higher, and the ceiling is MUCH higher. They also get worked to death which a lot of knuckle dragging NHL GMs still respect. And they learn how to fight, which, see prior sentence.

Both paths are valid. If I were a Canadian kid who was a 3rd-nth round pick and I had the grades I'd pick the NC$$. But if I were a 1st-2nd round pick and/or a Joe Rockhead, I'd pick the CHL.

Date: June 29, 2022 04:37PM

I just want Cornell to have some mid to late round draft picks sprinkled with first rounders every now and then...

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2022 05:30PM

Jacob McDonald’15 wasn’t drafted, but through perseverance, got to hoist the Stanley Cup.

Date: June 29, 2022 06:59PM

George64
Jacob McDonald’15 wasn’t drafted, but through perseverance, got to hoist the Stanley Cup.

One of my top 5 fav players from Cornell. Given his progress from the end of Cornell days, i sometimes wonder if he was ill utilized at Cornell.

Date: June 30, 2022 08:28AM

blackwidow
George64

One of my top 5 fav players from Cornell. Given his progress from the end of Cornell days, i sometimes wonder if he was ill utilized at Cornell.
Apparently he doesn't qualify automatically for his name being inscribed but the team could petition which they should given that owners and even their fucking moron children have been included (that is a crime against humanity).

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-212.myvzw.com)
Date: June 30, 2022 09:44AM

Trotsky
blackwidow
George64

Apparently he doesn't qualify automatically for his name being inscribed but the team could petition which they should given that owners and even their fucking moron children have been included (that is a crime against humanity).

Children of sports team owners are the worst.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login