Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2022 Incoming Recruits

Posted by scoop85 
2022 Incoming Recruits
Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2022 11:16AM

Here's the formal announcement from Cornell Athletics

No surprises from the previously available information. Several solid forwards in this group who should contribute right away.

Re: 2022 Incoming Recruits
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2022 03:02PM

This is dedication to playing your sport and wanting to keep moving forward. Sweden to Amarillo, Texas, to Union to Cornell. 6-foot-4 is nice and so is 215 pounds. Brown's lacrosse goalie Connor Theriault managed to put 210 onto 5 feet, 7 inches.

Notice hockey gives brief bios, Cornell football just names the incomers and their heighs, weights and hometowns.

Cornell PR
Gabriel Seger
F Uppsala, Sweden/Union

Seger enters Cornell as a transfer from Union College. He will be a junior, and lis ooking to add to Cornell's already heavy returning group of forwards. He brings two years of experience up the middle for Cornell and is well known in the league from his previous two seasons. For the 2019-20 season, Seger earned All Rookie Team recognition in ECAC Hockey. Prior to Union he spent one season for the Amarillo Bulls in the North American Hockey League posting 18 goals and 52 assists for 70 points in 58 games, earning a spot on the NAHL All-South Division Team. Before his arrival in the U.S. for junior hockey, he played one season for the Vaxjo Lakers HC J20 in the J20 SuperElit league in Sweden. Prior to Vaxjo, his entire youth hockey was played for Brynas IF in Sweden. Standing 6-4 215 lbs, he brings 14 goals and 29 assists for 43 points in 71 games from Union to Cornell's forward group.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2022 04:04PM

Cornell still has two more years of having to play against fifth year players, and of having to play against programs who can enroll them in graduate programs, something the Ivies cannot do. It will certainly benefit Cornell when we do not have to deal with this anymore.

I don’t know the specifics, but I would guess that Cornell was able to land such a coveted transfer (Seger) because Union was in the same boat, having canceled 2020-21. Presumably, Seger took last year off from school, preserving his status as a junior. Had Seger played in 2020-21, he’d still have two years of eligibility remaining, but he would be a senior, and transferring to Cornell, where he would have only gotten to play one year, wouldn’t have made sense.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2022 06:07PM

BearLover
Cornell still has two more years of having to play against fifth year players, and of having to play against programs who can enroll them in graduate programs, something the Ivies cannot do. It will certainly benefit Cornell when we do not have to deal with this anymore.

I don’t know the specifics, but I would guess that Cornell was able to land such a coveted transfer (Seger) because Union was in the same boat, having canceled 2020-21. Presumably, Seger took last year off from school, preserving his status as a junior. Had Seger played in 2020-21, he’d still have two years of eligibility remaining, but he would be a senior, and transferring to Cornell, where he would have only gotten to play one year, wouldn’t have made sense.
I don't know the specifics of Seger's eligibility situation. I don't think Seger would have had to unenroll from school in the spring of 2021 to retain Ivy eligibility for 2023-24. I believe he just has to avoid graduating from Cornell before the beginning of that academic year. As a transfer, he'd presumably need the 2023-24 academic year to fulfill all the requirements for graduation.

After he played his youth hockey for Brynäs in Gävle, Seger spent the 2017-18 season playing for Växjö Lakers HC J20. For the beginning of that season, Cam Abbott was his head coach. In November 2017, Cam left Växjö to become the head coach of Rögle BK, which also hired Chris Abbott to be the GM.

I don't know what role Cam played in Gabriel Seger's decision to transfer to Cornell, but I am confident that Seger's connection to Cam didn't hurt Cornell's cause.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 16, 2022 01:13PM

I'm old-school enough [C.U.'64] to suspect that even C.U. hockey transfers might take into account the reputation of a Cornell education could benefit their non-hockey, post-university careers and lives
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2022 06:25PM by osorojo.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2022 12:51PM

Is Max Andreev returning? I don't see him on the 2022-2023 roster that is posted.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: June 17, 2022 12:55PM

margolism
Is Max Andreev returning? I don't see him on the 2022-2023 roster that is posted.
Maybe his case is still being adjudicated. Mike seemed to think it would be granted.

Let's hope he didn't go home for summer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 12:56PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2022 01:34PM

Believe the roster posted is not accurate - it includes only last year’s frosh, sophs, & juniors.

Date: June 17, 2022 02:02PM

The roster now includes the incoming freshmen, but lists Ben Tupker as a senior, even though he is confirmed to be transferring out. (And Joe Howe is listed as a sophomore.) My guess is someone just added the incoming freshmen and it bumped everyone else up a class, including bumping the seniors off the roster altogether.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: June 20, 2022 09:20PM

athletics in a bit of chaos right now with staffing.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2022 10:57PM

upprdeck
athletics in a bit of chaos right now with staffing.

Join the club

Posted by: scoop85 (---.sub-174-197-202.myvzw.com)
Date: July 19, 2022 12:13PM

Remington Koepple invited to U.S. World Juniors evaluation camp

Date: July 19, 2022 01:02PM

scoop85

Meanwhile, Ian Shane was invited to Avalanche development camp. Should be an interesting competition next year.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2022 03:52PM

BearLover
scoop85

Meanwhile, Ian Shane was invited to Avalanche development camp. Should be an interesting competition next year.

Link to am article?

Date: July 19, 2022 04:13PM

abmarks

Link to am article?

Nvm.

[ecachockey.com]

We have 8 players at development camps.

Cornell - Ian Shane - Colorado Avalanche
Cornell - Matt Stienburg - Colorado Avalanche
Cornell - Maxim Andreev - Seattle Kraken
Cornell - Travis Mitchell - St. Louis
Cornell - Jack Malone - Vancouver Canucks
Cornell - Hank Kempf - New York Rangers
Cornell - Sam Malinski - New York Rangers
Cornell - Justin Ertel - Dallas Stars

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-5.myvzw.com)
Date: July 19, 2022 04:57PM

abmarks
abmarks

Link to am article?

Nvm.

[ecachockey.com]

We have 8 players at development camps.

Cornell - Ian Shane - Colorado Avalanche
Cornell - Matt Stienburg - Colorado Avalanche
Cornell - Maxim Andreev - Seattle Kraken
Cornell - Travis Mitchell - St. Louis
Cornell - Jack Malone - Vancouver Canucks
Cornell - Hank Kempf - New York Rangers
Cornell - Sam Malinski - New York Rangers
Cornell - Justin Ertel - Dallas Stars

Justin Ertel .. :'(

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2022 09:33PM

abmarks
BearLover
scoop85

Link to am article?

It appears Remington Keopple has made the U.S. roster for the WJC tournament that begins August 9th. There will be two more roster cuts, but I believe the team will be carrying the 3 goalies.

I believe Keopple would be the first Cornellian on the U.S. team since Cole Bardreau.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2022 08:38AM

scoop85
abmarks
BearLover
scoop85

Link to am article?

It appears Remington Keopple has made the U.S. roster for the WJC tournament that begins August 9th. There will be two more roster cuts, but I believe the team will be carrying the 3 goalies.

I believe Keopple would be the first Cornellian on the U.S. team since Cole Bardreau.

Unless I missed something (entirely possible) he's the first Cornellian on any team since Cole.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.abcom.al)
Date: August 01, 2022 11:08AM

Trotsky
scoop85
abmarks
BearLover
scoop85

Link to am article?

Unless I missed something (entirely possible) he's the first Cornellian on any team since Cole.

Just to clarify, first male Cornellian on any team since Cole.

Date: August 01, 2022 11:13AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85
abmarks
BearLover
scoop85

Link to am article?

Just to clarify, first male Cornellian on any team since Cole.

So what I missed is all the women's WJC players, which is kinda big. Thank you!

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2022 04:04PM

official for keopple

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 04:05PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.50.---)
Date: August 09, 2022 04:27PM

ugarte
official for keopple

Now all we need is to find out how to pronounce his name.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2022 04:52PM

RichH
ugarte
official for keopple

I think that it is easier to say than Mbereko. :-D

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: August 09, 2022 05:10PM

There's a 3rd goalie whose name is cut off on the prior posts, Andrew Oke (Okie or Oak?).
Keopple's older sister plays for Princeton, so perhaps Arthur, Grady, or Jason can enlighten us on pronunciation. On Keopple's twitter and instagram pages, he uses Remi, so that seems easy enough to pronounce. They are playing at 10 EDT tonight. In the pre-tournament game a couple of days ago, Oke played the first 2 periods and Remi played the 3rd, stopping 6 of 7 shots.

Posted by: facemadeforradio (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2022 07:14PM

jkahn
There's a 3rd goalie whose name is cut off on the prior posts, Andrew Oke (Okie or Oak?).
Keopple's older sister plays for Princeton, so perhaps Arthur, Grady, or Jason can enlighten us on pronunciation. On Keopple's twitter and instagram pages, he uses Remi, so that seems easy enough to pronounce. They are playing at 10 EDT tonight. In the pre-tournament game a couple of days ago, Oke played the first 2 periods and Remi played the 3rd, stopping 6 of 7 shots.

Des Moines broadcaster gives us "Kepple"...also uses full first name in his call (at least for the brief time I checked out the video highlights from a late April 2022 game).

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: August 09, 2022 11:50PM

ursusminor
RichH
ugarte
official for keopple

I think that it is easier to say than Mbereko. :-D

Oh, I have a feeling that it will be easy to pronounce. I just want to get it right. :-)

Key-epple
Kop-pel
Kep-pel
Rhymes with “people”

??
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 12:01AM by RichH.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: August 10, 2022 04:43PM

RichH
Key-epple
Kop-pel
Kep-pel
Rhymes with “people”

??

My sneaking suspicion is that it's originally Köppel, which would normally be transliterated to Koeppel. Later, it was transformed, intentionally or no, into Keopple.

My years-in-the-midwest spidey sense tells me that it will be pronounced Kepp-ull. He's from Wisconsin, after all.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2022 03:39PM

Scersk '97
RichH
Key-epple
Kop-pel
Kep-pel
Rhymes with “people”

??

My sneaking suspicion is that it's originally Köppel, which would normally be transliterated to Koeppel. Later, it was transformed, intentionally or no, into Keopple.

My years-in-the-midwest spidey sense tells me that it will be pronounced Kepp-ull. He's from Wisconsin, after all.

When his sister, Mariah, scored the overtime game-winning goal for Princeton in the 2020 ECAC Championship game, her surname was pronounced Kep-pel/Kepp-ull.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 03:45PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: August 13, 2022 04:08PM

Watching the USA vs Austria game right now. Koeppel is getting some ice time for the third period.

The announcers are giving a lot of love to Cornell and the atmosphere at Lynah. One of them said (paraphrasing) "if you're a fan of college hockey, put attending the Harvard game at Lynah on your bucket list."

And yes, they're pronouncing it KEH-puhl.

Edit: Koeppel gets 20 minutes of shut-out hockey. He wasn't really called on to make any difficult saves. Austria only had a handful of shots in the period.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2022 04:31PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: August 18, 2022 04:37PM

Watched the USA flame out against a Czech team that was described as being big and lumbering compared to the highly skilled and nimble USA. Where have I heard that before? Anyway, seeing the red-clad Czechs I was imagining a future Cornell-Harvard game. Coronato, who was so lethal in previous matches seemed to have largely disappeared for this game.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.220.---)
Date: August 18, 2022 08:01PM

They were big but not so lumbering........I was impressed with their skating and tenacity which led to long stretches of possession. It wasn't a fluke or even very close IMO.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: September 15, 2022 02:33PM

Howe no longer on roster on website. According to Wikipedia (great source?),e signed with the Toronto Marlies, but I see no other evidence of that.

Date: November 23, 2022 04:21PM

One interesting note on our promising freshman forwards is that all committed to Cornell very late in the process. Between Donaldson, Bancroft, Wallace, and DeSantis, the earliest commitment was Bancroft on 11/11/21; i.e., each committed no earlier than nine months before matriculating. Donaldson and DeSantis were UConn decommits, while Wallace was a MSU decommit. Cornell was able to find these players in the latest stage of recruiting. Current recruits for future seasons are quite a bit younger and rawer.

Throw in Seger transferring at the end of last season and it becomes even more wild that a year ago none of these players planned to ever be suiting up for Cornell.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2022 04:25PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-249.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2022 04:32PM

BearLover
One interesting note on our promising freshman forwards is that all committed to Cornell very late in the process. Between Donaldson, Bancroft, Wallace, and DeSantis, the earliest commitment was Bancroft on 11/11/21; i.e., each committed no earlier than nine months before matriculating. Donaldson and DeSantis were UConn decommits, while Wallace was a MSU decommit. Cornell was able to find these players in the latest stage of recruiting. Current recruits for future seasons are quite a bit younger and rawer.

Throw in Seger transferring at the end of last season and it becomes even more wild that a year ago none of these players planned to ever be suiting up for Cornell.

That is fascinating, given how often we get an exciting recruit and then they don't show up for two years (or ever, sometimes).

Date: March 18, 2023 02:54PM

It’s getting pretty tiring repeatedly going up against a far more talented Harvard team. Unless Cornell figures out a way to compete with Harvard in recruiting, Harvard beating Cornell and winning ECAC championships will continue to be the norm.

Looking at their roster, Harvard recruits heavily from Massachusetts prep schools. Cornell can’t really compete with them there. Harvard also recruits a few players each year from the US National Team Development Program. Again, Cornell seems to be uncompetitive for these players. We have historically ended up with a few of these players, such as Bardreau, Bliss, Tschantz, and Fiegl, but these recruits were all basically depth guys on the Under 17/Under 18 teams and I don’t think we’ve had a single recruit from the USNTDP since 2014.

It would be great if Cornell could shore up the above weaknesses by winning recruiting battles in upstate NY, and indeed we have gotten some good players from there and continue to (eg. Ryan Walsh, who is among the USHL scoring leaders and should be coming next year). But even still, a lot of those guys end up at schools like BU.

I’d be curious to know if the coaching staff has any sort of answer for Harvard’s recruiting dominance. Our future recruiting looks good, but not Harvard levels of good. What’s the plan?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-228-35.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 03:09PM

BearLover
It’s getting pretty tiring repeatedly going up against a far more talented Harvard team. Unless Cornell figures out a way to compete with Harvard in recruiting, Harvard beating Cornell and winning ECAC championships will continue to be the norm.

Looking at their roster, Harvard recruits heavily from Massachusetts prep schools. Cornell can’t really compete with them there. Harvard also recruits a few players each year from the US National Team Development Program. Again, Cornell seems to be uncompetitive for these players. We have historically ended up with a few of these players, such as Bardreau, Bliss, Tschantz, and Fiegl, but these recruits were all basically depth guys on the Under 17/Under 18 teams and I don’t think we’ve had a single recruit from the USNTDP since 2014.

It would be great if Cornell could shore up the above weaknesses by winning recruiting battles in upstate NY, and indeed we have gotten some good players from there and continue to (eg. Ryan Walsh, who is among the USHL scoring leaders and should be coming next year). But even still, a lot of those guys end up at schools like BU.

I’d be curious to know if the coaching staff has any sort of answer for Harvard’s recruiting dominance. Our future recruiting looks good, but not Harvard levels of good. What’s the plan?

The plan is to continue getting players who play college hockey at a high level. A graphic they showed at the start of the game had our age a full year older than Harvard's, and it's not like our team is all seniors. Age is good at the college level.

If draft picks were everything, Harvard would be smoking everyone.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 03:11PM

BearLover
I don't think you have a clue as to where Harvard stands in the pantheon of American universities, rightly or wrongly. Harvard's yield rate is consistently in the 80-85% range. Cornell's is 60-65%. Kids who are accepted to Harvard go there, whether hockey players or not. Only MIT has a comparable yield rate, and it's a different animal. We can debate the merits of Harvard's reputation till we're blue in the face, but it is what it is, and it makes recruiting easy.

Date: March 18, 2023 03:17PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
I don't think you have a clue as to where Harvard stands in the pantheon of American universities, rightly or wrongly. Harvard's yield rate is consistently in the 80-85% range. Cornell's is 60-65%. Kids who are accepted to Harvard go there, whether hockey players or not. Only MIT has a comparable yield rate, and it's a different animal. We can debate the merits of Harvard's reputation till we're blue in the face, but it is what it is, and it makes recruiting easy.
I think I’m pretty well aware of Harvard’s academic reputation. It’s quite similar to that of Yale and Princeton, two schools that Cornell badly out-recruits.

Date: March 18, 2023 03:23PM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
I think I’m pretty well aware of Harvard’s academic reputation. It’s quite similar to that of Yale and Princeton, two schools that Cornell badly out-recruits.
Yale and Princeton are not in the Boston area to attract those Massachusetts prep school kids, do not have Harvard's hockey history, and ,sorry to say, do not have the aura of Harvard. If, in fact, you really are "well aware of Harvsrd's academic reputation," you simply don't understand its manifestations.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: March 18, 2023 03:27PM

If it wasn’t for Covid, we would potentially only be 3 years removed from a national championship (we were ranked #1 at the time and had as good/if not better chance than anyone). When was the last time Harvard was ranked #1? I can’t recall seeing that for a decent amount of years (I could be wrong).

Posted by: chimpfood (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 04:23PM

BearLover

Cornell doesn’t want high nhl draft picks that leave after 2 years and force a constant cycle of recruiting. We want solid, 4-year players that can be a part of a cohesive team, not stars.

Date: March 18, 2023 04:38PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Yale and Princeton are not in the Boston area to attract those Massachusetts prep school kids, do not have Harvard's hockey history, and ,sorry to say, do not have the aura of Harvard. If, in fact, you really are "well aware of Harvsrd's academic reputation," you simply don't understand its manifestations.
As I say above, I’m not looking for Cornell to compete for the Massachusetts prep school kids. Sounds like your plan for Cornell to compete with Harvard in recruiting is that there is no plan—we should just give up. Yale won a national title and made the NCAAs 6 out of 8 years in the mid-2010s, by the way.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 04:43PM

BearLover
It’s getting pretty tiring repeatedly...

Yes it is but I haven't done the math to determine just how tired we are.

chimpfood
BearLover

Cornell doesn’t want high nhl draft picks that leave after 2 years and force a constant cycle of recruiting. We want solid, 4-year players that can be a part of a cohesive team, not stars.
I can’t remember the last player who left Harvard within two seasons (excepting the COVID year). Louis Leblanc in 2010? All their stars stay at least three years (Vesey stayed four, Fox stayed three, Donato stayed three). Coronato this season may be the first to leave after two seasons in a very long time.

marty
BearLover
It’s getting pretty tiring repeatedly...

Yes it is but I haven't done the math to determine just how tired we are.
Let me plug in some random inputs and then publish a model for you

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:05PM

and yet we lost 2 games in OT so while they have more talent its not that we cant compete.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:16PM

I think our last recruit from the USNTDP watched Shane take Harvard to OT in a scoreless game.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 06:21PM

chimpfood
BearLover

Cornell is a school for guys who want to learn how to play defense. It's not that the team doesn't score, or that Coach doesn't teach that, but there's another side of the game you learn from Schafer. Recruits that want to run and gun, for better or worse, go somewhere else. Cornell has tradition, and a lot of other things going for it. Recruiting is hard, and we lost some of our best recruiters in the last 10 years or so, but still, the team gets results. I hope to see a big one someday.

Date: March 18, 2023 07:01PM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
As I say above, I’m not looking for Cornell to compete for the Massachusetts prep school kids. Sounds like your plan for Cornell to compete with Harvard in recruiting is that there is no plan—we should just give up. Yale won a national title and made the NCAAs 6 out of 8 years in the mid-2010s, by the way.
Right. And you whined because you were sure it would be a Yale dynasty. Sorry. You just don't understand Harvard, how much of a hockey hotbed Boston is compared with New Haven and Princeton, and the pull of Harvard's reputation. Lastly, your continued whining has really become annoying.

Date: March 18, 2023 09:47PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Right. And you whined because you were sure it would be a Yale dynasty. Sorry. You just don't understand Harvard, how much of a hockey hotbed Boston is compared with New Haven and Princeton, and the pull of Harvard's reputation. Lastly, your continued whining has really become annoying.

Completely agreed.

One thing we don't know is whether Cornell even bothers going after the really high end talent or not (instead targeting a level below to find solid 4 year players as mentioned earlier in this thread.)

The only way imo to get more and better talent is to establish a recruiting pipeline into some fertile geography or feeder system. And the only easy ish way to do that would be to hire a recruiter or asst coach that arrives with those connections.

Date: March 19, 2023 01:34AM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
But you’re a beacon of positivity, yeah? Can’t recall you saying a single positive thing in any of your hundreds of posts in the basketball, lacrosse, or football threads over the past 5+ years. Your only post about today’s 20-10 lacrosse win was a complaint about how Cornell was playing. Which is par for the course.

Also, why are you lecturing me on the prestige of Harvard or Boston being a hockey hotbed? I acknowledge in my opening post that we aren’t going to compete with Harvard for Boston kids. My post is about catching up to Harvard in other places. There are many hockey recruits who don’t choose a college based on name prestige. A huge chunk of college hockey players aren’t even from the US.

I “whined” about Yale winning the national championship because I don’t want our hated rivals to win and because I didn’t think it would help Cornell (and there’s no evidence it has). There are literally people in this forum who were rooting against Harvard tonight even though them beating Colgate would have given us an NCAA bid. I root for what’s best for Cornell. Period.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2023 01:35AM by BearLover.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 12:54PM

Cornell’s class coming in the fall will include at least 2 drafted commits (Fegaras & Devlin) &
the 2nd highest scoring F (Walsh) & 4th highest scoring D (Robertson) in the USHL. Plus there are 4 other Cornell commits on the NHL’s Central Scouting midterm draft prospects list. Current recruiting looks really good.

Date: March 19, 2023 09:42PM

We should likely continue to reload talent and stay in the top 4 in the conference. That gives us a good chance to reach Lake Placid most years (we have reached the SF 18 times in Schafer's 26 seasons). We have about a 50/50 chance of going to the NC$$ every year (10 times in the 19 seasons since the NC$$ went to 16 teams). 6 of the prior 9 times we advanced to the Regional Final where, rather notably, we have lost the last 5 in a row.

Now throw in that four times in Schafer's tenure we have reached #1 in the country post-January 1 (2003 3/31, 2005 2/28, 2018 1/29, 2020 3/23). In three other seasons we reached as high as #5 after New Year's (2006 3 2/6, 2009 3 1/19, 2010 5 2/1). That's seven seasons of 27 reaching top 5 -- once every full four year class.

I don't know if things will change after Mike retires or we will simply go on with that same high level as we did with Harkness and Bertrand over a 20-year interval. We may flail a bit and then right the ship or we may transition cleanly. But I am quite happy with our level of performance and success. We are typically in a position to reach the top of the conference and challenge to go deep into the post-season. One can always wish for more, but 50+ of the 61 D-1 programs wish they had our recruiting track record.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2023 09:42PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Pghas (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 05:40PM

We are generally an exceptionally well coached team whose defensive style and reliance on elite goaltending makes us more akin to a 1990s New Jersey Devils team than anything else. I think that’s fine. I think that it may turn off some of the more elite offensive prospects, which may hurt us. But I think the years when we do you have elite offensive players, like Morgan Barron, we are a much bigger threat to go far. And in looking at our stats over the last 20 years, it is also important to remember that the one year that we really had a great shot at winning the whole thing was cut short and ruined by the pandemic in 2020. That not only gravely impacted how we view the organization over the last 20 to 30 years, but also has a significant impact on recruiting in the years since and going forward.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 06:24PM

Pghas
We are generally an exceptionally well coached team whose defensive style and reliance on elite goaltending makes us more akin to a 1990s New Jersey Devils team than anything else. I think that’s fine. I think that it may turn off some of the more elite offensive prospects, which may hurt us. But I think the years when we do you have elite offensive players, like Morgan Barron, we are a much bigger threat to go far. And in looking at our stats over the last 20 years, it is also important to remember that the one year that we really had a great shot at winning the whole thing was cut short and ruined by the pandemic in 2020. That not only gravely impacted how we view the organization over the last 20 to 30 years, but also has a significant impact on recruiting in the years since and going forward.

I agree. As long as Schafer is Coach, the team will be built from the back out. Elite scoring is something you just can't teach, the guys who have the touch, the nose for the net, just get it done. But for the ones like Barron, or Moulson or any of the other great Big Red that came in the Mike Schafer era, they all needed something to make them more well rounded, better players, because they all were missing "something" which is why they weren't top 10, first round drafts and weren't playing at BU, Michigan or Wisconsin etc. Dedicated to academics? Maybe. But if you can score and play solid defense, it makes up for being slow, or too small, or whatever it is that kept them out of Major Juniors or the top list for scouts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login