Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents and Others, 2022-23

Posted by dbilmes 
Page: Previous12345 6 7Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Opponents and Others, 2022-23
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:17PM

BearLover
In my opinion, it is disgraceful that a totally random school no one has ever heard of with zero hockey tradition and zero academic standards went division 1 like 25 years ago and surpassed the Cornell hockey program. It was demoralizing when Yale and Union won, too.

Hope you enjoyed a first round draft pick win the OT game and Clay Mouth-man overlook our 1 goal loss.

BL, I hope you enjoy mowing your lawn this summer and if there's one thing I'm not looking forward to next fall...

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:20PM

marty
BearLover
In my opinion, it is disgraceful that a totally random school no one has ever heard of with zero hockey tradition and zero academic standards went division 1 like 25 years ago and surpassed the Cornell hockey program. It was demoralizing when Yale and Union won, too.

Hope you enjoyed a first round draft pick win the OT game and Clay Mouth-man overlook our 1 goal loss.

BL, I hope you enjoy mowing your lawn this summer and if there's one thing I'm not looking forward to next fall...
I always enjoy mowing my lawn. Thank you :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:52PM

School with lowest admissions standards in conference that has repeatedly bent recruiting rules has advantage in getting players.

Posted by: abmarks (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 10:17PM

BearLover
Scersk '97
BearLover
Quinnipiac has now made the frozen four three times since the last time Cornell did. What a disgrace.

And between 1980 and 2003, Harvard made it five times and won a championship. And between 2003 and now, Union made it twice, and Harvard and Yale made it once each, and Yale and Union won championships. And there was a once a stretch in which the ECAC very rarely had more than two teams in the tournament, and two times (2001 and 2004) we only had one. This year we had four, and we recently commonly get three, with 2021 as an obvious aberration.

So, what exactly is your point? It's not an exact fucking science. There are ups and downs. But in no way is how this program has performed at any time during Schafer's tenure a disgrace. I loved the team when I was in school; we play much better hockey at a consistently higher level now. I would have loved for us to win a championship when I was young, but it was a pipe dream; it's basically never a pipe dream now.

I only engage because your analysis in other situations warrants it. Go touch some grass and get some fucking perspective.

(And anyway, QU was lucky to escape that one. I expect them to get blasted at the Frozen Four.)

Semantics issue here

Is it demoralizing to see this? Yes.

Disgraceful? If your perspective is that it's gross to be in a system where low academic standards and piles of money let a school spend their way to the top then I take your point.

But you know as well as anyone that we aren't on a level playing field, athletically speaking, with Q. Not just the scholarships and low standards; they have superior facilities with their arena and are geographically better located to population centers as well. And it's not like they just tossed money at the problem...pecknold has coached them up pretty well. Plenty of coaches have flopped or underachieved with even more talented rosters.

I hate that a rival has managed that, too. But let's get real here, we are what we are. Without scholarships, expanded game schedule, and a lot more academic latitude, anytime we reach a frozen four or somehow win it all we will have tremendously overachieved reasonable expectations.

Date: March 26, 2023 11:56PM

Harvard’s top 4 scorers—Farrell, Laferriere, Coronato, and Thrun—have all signed NHL deals. And goalie Gibson is out of eligibility. Meanwhile, Clarkson is getting wrecked by the transfer portal. Very nice! Just need Michigan to smoke Quinnipiac in the frozen four and I will consider this a successful couple of weeks.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:53AM

BearLover
Meanwhile, Clarkson is getting wrecked by the transfer portal.
I know they lost players but were they good players?

Date: March 27, 2023 01:01AM

From the Harvard team thread on USCHO:

I wish the Harvard players who left the best in the NHL, always root for them. That said, I don't understand how a player like Coronato can make it in the NHL. He took a big hit against Princeton in the ECAC playoffs, afterwards didn't go into the corners or dig. Has not looked like the same players since, gun-shy and gets testy with contact. How will he survive in the NHL?

Myself, I wish Harvard would recruit players who are not as flashy, but good solid workers, who are committed to the team rather than their own careers after playing a few years. The kind of players the Cornells recruit.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:10AM

Trotsky

I wish the Harvard players who left the best in the NHL, always root for them. That said, I don't understand how a player like Coronato can make it in the NHL. He took a big hit against Princeton in the ECAC playoffs, afterwards didn't go into the corners or dig. Has not looked like the same players since, gun-shy and gets testy with contact. How will he survive in the NHL?

Myself, I wish Harvard would recruit players who are not as flashy, but good solid workers, who are committed to the team rather than their own careers after playing a few years. The kind of players the Cornells recruit.
Wow. The Harvard hockey version of me.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:12AM

Trotsky
BearLover
Clarkson players in the portal include Ethan Haider (starting goalie and fifth round draft pick) and Alex Campbell (one of Clarkson’s leading scorers and third round draft pick, who is transferring to Northeastern).

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:16AM

BearLover
Trotsky

Now if only there were a trading window for forum-posters. ;)

Date: March 27, 2023 01:27AM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
Clarkson players in the portal include Ethan Haider (starting goalie and fifth round draft pick) and Alex Campbell (one of Clarkson’s leading scorers and third round draft pick, who is transferring to Northeastern).
Yikes. Sorry, Casey.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:29AM

abmarks
BearLover
Trotsky

Trust me on this: we do not want any of the folks who post to the Harvard USCHO thread. BearLover is Foster Hewitt compared to them.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:38AM

Trotsky
abmarks
BearLover
Trotsky

Trust me on this: we do not want any of the folks who post to the Harvard USCHO thread. BearLover is Foster Hewitt compared to them.

I'd make the trade and then cut the other poster before their contact was guaranteed.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 11:02AM

Clarkson also already got one player in from the portal. The Alex Campbell one I don't get - the others are no big deal. Haider wasn't that great.

Date: March 27, 2023 11:25AM

adamw
Clarkson also already got one player in from the portal. The Alex Campbell one I don't get - the others are no big deal. Haider wasn't that great.
Two of their everyday defenseman, and one everyday forward, are in the portal too. They did pick up a good forward from the portal, though.

Date: March 27, 2023 12:00PM

adamw
IIRC he was pretty darn good against us. pissed

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 12:15PM

I understand the antipathy toward Q, but what is the alternative -
Q leaving the ECAC, having our SOS (and indirectly, RPI and pairwise) suffer, and all of Q's accomplishments credited to another conference?

I don't miss the EZAC days, and I don't want them back.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 12:59PM

Jack Malone entered the portal.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-216.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2023 01:13PM

ursusminor

Can I just say I love this terminology? Very foreboding sci-fi vibe.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:16PM

I assume Stienburg and Malinski sign pro deals. That leaves Malone, Berard, Dirven, Malinski, and Tupker to decide whether they want to use their last year of eligibility somewhere else, or sign a pro deal, or retire from hockey. If the Ivy League allowed graduate student athletes, I bet most or all of them would be back in Ithaca next year.

Date: March 27, 2023 01:26PM

I can't see it ever happening. The Presidents are protecting the brand by creating this discriminator with all other conferences and hoping it keeps up the patina of prestige. If the Ivies ever lose that perceived aura of being Above It All then Pollack, Paxson, Hanlon et al. lose their brand advantage and alumni lose bragging rights and stop giving.

This is purely a business decision, like the Brits keeping the monarchy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 01:27PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2023 04:43PM

ursusminor

He'll be a nice addition for someone, hopefully in another conference.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 05:47PM

?t=GI9nwz7_AlBkU3RQdLXt9Q&s=19

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-247.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2023 03:56PM

Teams across the country are announcing that seniors will be coming back for their graduate season. For example, Minnesota-Duluth just announced that three NHL draft pick seniors and key contributors will be returning for a fifth year. Meanwhile, a team like BC coming off of a disappointing season can recognize it is short a player on defense and pull a top fifth year player out of the portal. Cornell and the Ivies are at a huge disadvantage here.

I actually think the transfer portal may indirectly help the Ivies going forward. Players move so freely now in large part because they do not value getting a degree at their current school. Ivies have an advantage where it is much harder to justify leaving school and giving up the degree. We may not get many/any transfers, but at least we will retain the players we do have and not see mass defections like at Clarkson, Union, etc.

But first we need to make it through the next two years, the final couple of seasons of fifth year COVID eligibility. We will be at a huge disadvantage until then, but at that time I think things will even out.

Date: March 30, 2023 12:25AM

BearLover
Teams across the country are announcing that seniors will be coming back for their graduate season. For example, Minnesota-Duluth just announced that three NHL draft pick seniors and key contributors will be returning for a fifth year. Meanwhile, a team like BC coming off of a disappointing season can recognize it is short a player on defense and pull a top fifth year player out of the portal. Cornell and the Ivies are at a huge disadvantage here.

I actually think the transfer portal may indirectly help the Ivies going forward. Players move so freely now in large part because they do not value getting a degree at their current school. Ivies have an advantage where it is much harder to justify leaving school and giving up the degree. We may not get many/any transfers, but at least we will retain the players we do have and not see mass defections like at Clarkson, Union, etc.

But first we need to make it through the next two years, the final couple of seasons of fifth year COVID eligibility. We will be at a huge disadvantage until then, but at that time I think things will even out.

Even ChatGPT thinks you are long-winded.

ChatGPT
Sure! Here's a shorter and more concise version of the essay:

"Seniors returning for their graduate season is impacting college teams. Some teams benefit while others, like Cornell and the Ivies, are disadvantaged. The transfer portal may help the Ivies as players value their degrees and are less likely to leave. The Ivies will be disadvantaged for two years due to COVID eligibility but things will even out after that."

Date: March 30, 2023 12:40AM

abmarks
BearLover

ChatGPT

"Seniors returning for their graduate season is impacting college teams. Some teams benefit while others, like Cornell and the Ivies, are disadvantaged. The transfer portal may help the Ivies as players value their degrees and are less likely to leave. The Ivies will be disadvantaged for two years due to COVID eligibility but things will even out after that."
Thanks for this completely needless post which serves absolutely no purpose other than to insult me

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: March 30, 2023 06:24AM

BearLover
abmarks
BearLover

ChatGPT

Thanks for this completely needless post which serves absolutely no purpose other than to insult me

Long-windedness on this forum is a feature, not a bug. If you don’t like it, go read the tweets, Tacitus.

Date: March 30, 2023 07:21AM

BearLover

Is this supposed to imply that Cornell isn't really an Ivy? :-D :-P

Date: March 30, 2023 08:40AM

This Mean Girls shit is making me sympathize with BearLover. Please stop; there was nothing wrong with that particular post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2023 08:45AM by Trotsky.

Date: March 30, 2023 08:44AM

Dafatone
ursusminor

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2023 08:59AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
ursusminor

We're hoping to pick up some good players via the Torment Nexus.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 30, 2023 09:01AM

Any ice planets out there?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-246.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2023 09:05AM

Trotsky
This Mean Girls shit is making me sympathize with BearLover. Please stop; there was nothing wrong with that particular post.

Now is as good a time as any to say, with zero snark and full sincerity, that BearLover joking about the talent gap with Ohio State while they were beating up on Harvard might've been the highlight of the year for me.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2023 12:05PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
ursusminor

The extra grad year is longer than you think. IT'S LONGER THAN YOU THINK!!!

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 30, 2023 07:27PM

Sean Farrell in his second game with Montreal since Harvard was beaten scores his first NHl goal. From what the board says its most likely because the Panthers dont have enough draft picks on the roster

Date: March 31, 2023 01:57PM

To chew on, from the Colgate thread on USCHO:

iowabasedtraveler;n3803193
From the 'More Questions than it Answers' Department...

Josh Hewitt on the Big Ten Hockey Facebook page posted a graphic of expenditures of NCAA D-1 MIH programs.

Here are a couple...

1., North Dakota, $5,453,864,
2., Minnesota, $5,269,203,
3., Notre Dame, $5,198,263
4., Michigan, $4,464,256,
5., Boston College, $4,360,627,

21., Quinnipiac, $3,029,101,
23., Clarkson, $2,630,662,
25., RPI, $2,563,477,
27., Saint Lawrence, $2,547,264,
31., Colgate, $2,423,063,
38., Yale, $2,073,478,
41., Cornell, $1,990,819,
51., Harvard, $1,374,610,
52., Brown, $1,363,881,
53., Dartmouth, $1,353,890,
56., Princeton, $1,133,425,
57., Union, $1,049,322.

From me, "I see 57 programs listed. What was the last year that NCAA had 57 men's D-1 ice hockey programs? If it is more current than that, what programs are not included (and why)? More specifically, what year does it supposedly represent? And what exactly goes into those numbers? Thanks."

From Josh, "It’s all the schools that have the records for expenses for the Men’s hockey program available and includes all expenditures for the program. Salaries, rink maintenance, travel, etc….
GopherPuckLive periodically puts together an article to compare where Minnesota is compared to the rest of college hockey. Here is an article from 2018 as an example with additional info."

"[URL="[url]https://gopherpucklive.com/minnesota-ranks-second-for-ncaa-mens-hockey-revenue/?fbclid=IwAR06UuQgxG8Xi-ZxLM81SS3TLAzpPfZtG-Z-9jeVqkusnmsk9SV-pHK7R64"[/url];]https://gopherpucklive.com/minnesota-ranks-second-for.../[/URL]

"The data I posted above is for this season. I don’t know if he is going to put together an article with further breakdown or not, but you should probably be able to find the data for your program in public records."

While I still question a lot about the specifics of this ranking, it probably does fairly accurately show the basic differences between the expenditures of the Big Ten (and other) conference programs and those of the ECAC Hockey conference.

One thing that I like about eLynah is that one can post anything on almost any thread and be at least partially on topic. :-)

Date: March 31, 2023 02:49PM

pretty big jump from the bottom 5 ivys to Cornell/Yale.. I mean why is Harvard able to spend 600K less? I doubt it salaries? But if you add Scholie cost to the Ivy schools they jump to the top 25 most likely .

Also How does ND spend 3-4x times as much. Is that arena that expensive to run or is it all travel cost and coaching?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2023 03:01PM

upprdeck
pretty big jump from the bottom 5 ivys to Cornell/Yale.. I mean why is Harvard able to spend 600K less? I doubt it salaries? But if you add Scholie cost to the Ivy schools they jump to the top 25 most likely .

Also How does ND spend 3-4x times as much. Is that arena that expensive to run or is it all travel cost and coaching?

I'm not an accountant, but it's possible that spending out of an endowment's annual payout doesn't count as a current-year expenditure. So Cornell wouldn't count the portion of Coach Schafer's salary that's covered by its endowment, and Harvard wouldn't count whatever their men's hockey endowment covers.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 31, 2023 06:09PM

Beeeej
and Harvard wouldn't count whatever their men's hockey endowment covers.

Drinks and slaves.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.sri.com)
Date: March 31, 2023 06:15PM

Harvard's Henry Thrun with two assists in his Sharks debut. He looks like the real deal but it'll be tough rooting for him.

....But not as tough as rooting for the Sharks goalie

james-reimer-pride-night-jersey

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: March 31, 2023 06:50PM

Second that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2023 12:20PM

Harvard lower expenditures may be if the coach's entire salary is endowed as opposed to some of it at Cornell, so perhaps that isn't an expenditure. And maybe all Harvard coaches are endowed?

Maybe No. 1 spender North Dakota spent a boatload of legal fees trying to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname? [is joke] [i think]

BC leads the East in spending, FWIW, twice what the mostly costly Ivy spends, $4.3M vs. about $2M for Yale.

The cost to provide hockey is pretty stiff for some teams with poor attendance. Example: Brown. The Bears drew 10,900 fans to 13 home games, about 840 per game. The Cornell game got the most bodies into Meehan, 1,177 fans versus for, say, Harvard 813 the next night.
Brown
$1,363,881  Expenditures cited
    10,900  2022-23 home attendance calculated
      $125  Expenditure per fan per game 

Date: April 02, 2023 12:46PM

lots of unknowns in the costs. There are endowed costs built into things besides coaches.. many of the new buildings have endowed maintenance costs bulit into them as well. the new scoreboard might have some built into its use.

some people donate air time to fly to recruiting trips at certain schools.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2023 12:47PM by upprdeck.

Date: April 02, 2023 02:14PM

upprdeck
lots of unknowns in the costs. There are endowed costs built into things besides coaches.. many of the new buildings have endowed maintenance costs built into them as well.
If you want to get your name on a building, you buy the building and, I believe, something like 30 years of maintenance costs. That is probably a good thing especially if it's a replacement building that's bigger, nicer and more expensive to maintain.

Case in point may be a new swimming pool for Cornell. If one is built, it would likely not be funded by Cornell. The Teagle pool is 70+ years old, Helen Newman about 60. A donor is faced not just with facility costs but also paying to maintain the pool. [cornellsun.com]

Martha Pollock, 2022
We just don’t have the money right now. We don’t have tens of millions of dollars or a donor, or frankly a place on campus to put it.

If I had tens of millions of dollars,” she said, “I would be putting it towards salaries, not towards pools.

The Teagle pool is 25 yards. Contemporary pools are 50 meters.

Date: April 02, 2023 05:05PM

Danger is ChatGPT could improve and condense 90% of our posts. Some more than others.

Imagine if this tool transcribed then improved condensed adapted the minutes of faculty meetings. Or speeches in the Congress.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: April 05, 2023 04:23PM

Big article in Forbes about how Quinnipiac became a college hockey powerhouse. The bad news, but not a surprise, is that Q is going to be working on ways to get NILs for its players. Maybe the college hockey version of the University of Miami?

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.216.---)
Date: April 10, 2023 06:34PM

Apparently Brown's starting goalie Caron is in the transfer portal and BU is coming up quite a bit as a potential landing spot

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: April 11, 2023 12:18PM

Been three days and no Q early departure. Among the fun choices:

Yani Perets, Jr goalie
Colin Graf, Fr (58 points)
Sam Lipkin, Fr (43)
Jacob Quillian, So (38)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2023 12:18PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 11, 2023 12:26PM

Trotsky

Yani Perets, Jr goalie
Sam Lipkin, Fr (43)
Jacob Quillian, So (38)
if you hadn't put points i'd have believed ages

Date: April 11, 2023 12:40PM

Trotsky

Yani Perets, Jr goalie
Sam Lipkin, Fr (43)
Jacob Quillian, So (38)

Does Matthew Campbell, a Freshman who apparently didn't get into a game, count? He entered the portal on Monday.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 12:49PM

Trotsky

Yani Perets, Jr goalie
Sam Lipkin, Fr (43)
Jacob Quillian, So (38)

Graf is a sophomore, after spending his Freshman year at Union. I wish he had wanted to stick together with Seger. Then I thought “maybe he didn’t have the grades,” but he was ECAC all-academic team and AHCA All-American Scholar.

“I chose Union because of the excellent academics along with it being a great hockey program with a winning tradition. The small school size appealed to me. When I visited the campus and met the coaches, I knew Union was the place for me.“

I guess he decided small school size was more important than excellent academics when he decided to transfer.

It’s nagging at me that he was one that got away. He wound up leading a similar team to the NC. Then again, would he have had a jump from 22 points to 58? Probably not, but the depth would have been that much better.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-214.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 01:26PM

Iceberg
Apparently Brown's starting goalie Caron is in the transfer portal and BU is coming up quite a bit as a potential landing spot

How about coming to Cornell? Caron is excellent.

Date: April 11, 2023 01:40PM

arugula
I strongly suspect the Ivies will collude to stop from poaching each other.

Er I mean it will happen totally accidentally.

Date: April 11, 2023 01:40PM

arugula
Iceberg

Cornell has three goalies already.

Date: April 11, 2023 01:45PM

BearLover
And another (Katz) coming in Fall '24 to replace McInchak.

We're set in net, and in Shane's senior year we will actually have 3 potential #1 goaltenders competing.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2023 01:47PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.39.---)
Date: April 11, 2023 01:55PM

Trotsky
BearLover

We're set in net, and in Shane's senior year we will actually have 3 potential #1 goaltenders competing.

If they get chances to play. Personal choice, but I would love to have a tandem again a la Underhill-Lenny. I’m really glad Shane played his best hockey during the playoffs, but it would have been nice to have a backup with a good amount of experience.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 01:59PM

Trotsky
BearLover

Hypothetically if Devon Levi didn't go to the Sabres but instead had entered the transfer portal, I have to believe we'd have welcomed him with open arms.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 09:38PM

Q’s Yanni Peretz has signed with Carolina, foregoing his last two years of eligibility.

Date: April 11, 2023 10:24PM

One down.

Date: April 12, 2023 06:45PM

scoop85
Q’s Yanni Peretz has signed with Carolina, foregoing his last two years of eligibility.
And cutting short a promising music career.

(Jesus, that's the kind of typing glitch I would be guilty of.)

Date: April 12, 2023 09:07PM

New opponent coming?

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: April 12, 2023 11:08PM

billhoward
scoop85
And cutting short a promising music career.

(Jesus, that's the kind of typing glitch I would be guilty of.)

I can’t remember if you tried this joke during Kaldis’s time.

Date: April 13, 2023 12:44AM

ugarte
New opponent coming?
Utica, too.

Empire League might be pretty good in a few years:

Army
Binghamton
Canisius
Cornell
Clarkson
Colgate
Niagara
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Utica

Date: April 13, 2023 01:25AM

Trotsky
ugarte
New opponent coming?
Utica, too.

Army
Binghamton
Canisius
Cornell
Clarkson
Colgate
Niagara
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Utica

LIU?

Date: April 13, 2023 01:42AM

ursusminor
Trotsky
ugarte
New opponent coming?
Utica, too.

Army
Binghamton
Canisius
Cornell
Clarkson
Colgate
Niagara
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Utica

LIU?

Russin, frussin...

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2023 09:15AM

Trotsky
ugarte
New opponent coming?
Utica, too.

Army
Binghamton
Canisius
Cornell
Clarkson
Colgate
Niagara
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence
Union
Utica

Taking a look at Utica's roster... they have some big dudes.

Date: April 13, 2023 10:58AM

Trotsky
ugarte
New opponent coming?
Utica, too.

Army
Binghamton
Canisius
Cornell
Clarkson
Colgate
Niagara
RIT
RPI
St. Lawrence

Union
Utica

What sports is Binghamton good at? Basketball was good enough to there be a scandal (compromised admissions standards). You'd think with the academic nature of the school, it'd draw good soccer players, but all I saw the last five years was losing record. 10 men's sports, no football. Does the school have the commitment to go big in hockey?
Binghamton sports
Men's sports	Women's sports
Baseball	Basketball
Basketball	Cross country
Cross country	Lacrosse
Golf	        Soccer
Lacrosse	Softball
Soccer	        Swimming & diving
Swimming-diving	Tennis
Tennis	        Track and field
Track & field	Volleyball
Wrestling

At least in our minds, RIT is the next team into the ECAC if somebody drops hockey or switches leagues: the belief that Q's destiny is Hockey East. Or, cripe, why not shoot for B1G hockey?

You're not thinking Union might at some point fall back to a simpler hockey program?

Date: April 13, 2023 11:18AM

billhoward
You're not thinking Union might at some point fall back to a simpler hockey program?
Not unless there is a scandal. That national championship was amazing for them and it will keep the program going for the next century. They are RPI Nouveau.

Date: April 13, 2023 11:22AM

As we have speculated many times, RIT would be a splendid ECAC program. If Brown ever drops, everything could fit into place, and we'd lose the existential threat of ILexit.

Cornell/RIT
Clarkson/St. Lawrence
RPI/Union
Dartmouth/Harvard
Colgate/Utica
Princeton/Yale
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2023 11:23AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 13, 2023 12:30PM

Trotsky
billhoward
Not unless there is a scandal. That national championship was amazing for them and it will keep the program going for the next century. They are RPI Nouveau.
It takes one forceful university president, perhaps prompted by a scandal -- criminal acts off-campus, hazing of freshmen players, failure to say "first-years" at Harvard, extreme drunkenness -- to quote rightsize sports.

David Skorton was asked by a cranky old alum every fall at a big-machers weekend called TCAM why, with football so dangerous, he permits it. Skorton's reply every year was, ~"I've enjoyed this conversation you and Ihave each fall
... if we never had football and the discussion was adding football, we wouldn't ... but we have football, it's a tradition, and we need to find ways to make it safer."

Martha Pollock in the past year said if there was money available for another or replacement sports arena on (near?) campus, she'd spend the money on faculty salaries.

Those are the kinds of things that make you hope these are just the precursors to trial balloons and no more.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: April 13, 2023 01:13PM

Much as I love CU sports, I agree with President Pollak's sentiment. Hockey, at least, is somewhat financially self sustaining and it's more important that academic functions get funded properly. I wonder how much could be raised from outside money for a new rink, though I personally would prefer a renovation, making Lynah spiffy and up to date with all the modern amenities whhich may draw players, but still the feel of the barn. MSG, as much as I despise the Dolans, got it right. It is modern and spiffy, but still has the iconic ceiling and other aesthetic aspects to make you think that, yes, this is the Garden.

Date: April 13, 2023 01:31PM

arugula
Much as I love CU sports, I agree with President Pollak's sentiment. Hockey, at least, is somewhat financially self sustaining and it's more important that academic functions get funded properly. I wonder how much could be raised from outside money for a new rink, though I personally would prefer a renovation, making Lynah spiffy and up to date with all the modern amenities whhich may draw players, but still the feel of the barn. MSG, as much as I despise the Dolans, got it right. It is modern and spiffy, but still has the iconic ceiling and other aesthetic aspects to make you think that, yes, this is the Garden.
+1 for not saying those four words.

It's like someone who actively tries to makes his way onto Forbes Billionaires List and then move up.

Date: April 13, 2023 02:52PM

TIL there is a plan to make Penn Station not look like dog shit anymore.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-137.myvzw.com)
Date: April 13, 2023 03:39PM

Only been 60 years. Patience…

Date: April 13, 2023 03:46PM

"Once we entered the City like lions. Now we scurry in like rats."

Posted by: RichH (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: April 13, 2023 06:57PM

Trotsky
"Once we entered the City like lions. Now we scurry in like rats."

If you haven’t been there in a while, they’ve been tearing up the main rat-hole/corridor by the LIRR portion for a few years now. Story today in Newsday declared its completion, but detailed the other issues for the rest of the site.

[www.newsday.com]

For those like me who struggled a bit with a paywall, here’s a video: [youtu.be]

And of course the connected Moynihan Train Hall that opened a couple years ago is pretty magnificent, despite the lack of seating.

Date: April 13, 2023 09:01PM

I had no idea MSG's lease expires this year.

Dynamite it and rebuild the old station.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-137.myvzw.com)
Date: April 13, 2023 10:01PM

Trotsky
I had no idea MSG's lease expires this year.

Dynamite it and rebuild the old station.

From your lips.

Date: April 14, 2023 05:55PM

I don't know how good any of these players are, but Q has already landed 4 players from the transfer portal.

Date: April 14, 2023 06:06PM

dbilmes
I don't know how good any of these players are, but Q has already landed 4 players from the transfer portal.
Portal Pick Ups (Grad):

Brn 1
Cgt 1
Clk 3
Qpc 4
RPI 3 (2)
SLU 1 (1)
Uni 1

Date: April 14, 2023 06:56PM

dbilmes
Looking at their stats and prior programs, they’re all good players, and they’ll all play heavily next year (unless the transfer goalie gets beaten out by someone else). With the transfer portal, the good programs never need to rebuild. They just reload immediately. I’d like to see Q depart for Hockey East for this reason—a very unlevel playing field (unlevel ice surface) compared to the rest of the ECAC.

Date: April 15, 2023 02:06AM

Trotsky
dbilmes
Portal Pick Ups (Grad):

Brn 1
Cgt 1
Clk 3
Qpc 4
RPI 3 (2)
SLU 1 (1)
Uni 1
Who is RPI's third besides for Brushett and Regula? Are you counting former UVM player Dovar Tinling who is playing this year in the BCHL?

Date: April 15, 2023 11:28AM

ursusminor
Trotsky
dbilmes
Portal Pick Ups (Grad):

Brn 1
Cgt 1
Clk 3
Qpc 4
RPI 3 (2)
SLU 1 (1)
Uni 1
Who is RPI's third besides for Brushett and Regula? Are you counting former UVM player Dovar Tinling who is playing this year in the BCHL?

Yes. Also, Dovar Tinling is a cool name.

Date: April 15, 2023 12:00PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
dbilmes
Portal Pick Ups (Grad):

Brn 1
Cgt 1
Clk 3
Qpc 4
RPI 3 (2)
SLU 1 (1)
Uni 1

Yes. Also, Dovar Tinling is a cool name.

Agreed. I wonder what the ethnic origin is. BTW, Neutral Zone rated him as 4.5 *'s before he went to UVM as the youngest player in college hockey at the time. He didn't do much and is now 4.0 *'s. I think that he was a good gamble by RPI.

Date: April 15, 2023 10:16PM

Want to know what sets Pecknold apart from other ECAC coaches? Zero loyalty to his own players. Q had three goalies on the roster this season, all underclassmen. Perets signs an NHL deal, so down to two goalies on next season’s roster. But Q has a highly regarded goalie recruit coming in, so back up to three. Except, Pecknold isn’t content to let his current/incoming goalies fight it out for the starting role. He goes to the transfer portal and adds BU’s backup goalie. Now with four goalies slated to be on the roster next year, one of the existing goalies no longer has a spot. End result: Chase Clark, Capitals draft pick and backup Q goalie from this past season, has entered the transfer portal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2023 11:37PM by BearLover.

Date: April 15, 2023 11:23PM

That is fascinating as the Q sub on USCHO was convinced Clark was going to be the #1.

Date: April 16, 2023 08:37AM

Pretty easy to make kids leave those schools.. if you recruit more kids they have no chance to get a scholie so they try to jump where they might get one.

Date: April 16, 2023 08:47AM

Speaking of goalies, Brown's excellent goalie Caron is transferring to BU, so we'll most likely see him again at MSG.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2023 12:06PM

is it as bad as telling a kid that his scholarship is being pulled, or are kids jumping because they anticipate they will not get playing time?

Date: April 17, 2023 01:43PM

BearLover
Want to know what sets Pecknold apart from other ECAC coaches? Zero loyalty to his own players. Q had three goalies on the roster this season, all underclassmen. Perets signs an NHL deal, so down to two goalies on next season’s roster. But Q has a highly regarded goalie recruit coming in, so back up to three. Except, Pecknold isn’t content to let his current/incoming goalies fight it out for the starting role. He goes to the transfer portal and adds BU’s backup goalie. Now with four goalies slated to be on the roster next year, one of the existing goalies no longer has a spot. End result: Chase Clark, Capitals draft pick and backup Q goalie from this past season, has entered the transfer portal.
Lack of loyalty is a two-way street. The players are quick to jump to another team if they see advantage, even more so in basketball.

Nobody (well, under 70) yearns for the old days when a school could say with a straight face, "Pay the athletes? They're getting a first class education."

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 06:03PM

Don Vaughan retires.

(CHN story.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 06:59PM

Going out on top, to some extent.

And for the record, he's about the same age as Schafer.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2023 07:36PM

Interesting, but first Colgate needs to name a new Vice President and Director of Athletics.

Posted by: coz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2023 07:58PM

From the Release
One of Vaughan's most impressive achievements was leading the program to the ECAC Hockey tournament on a near-annual basis. In his three decades at the helm, Colgate made 27 appearances in the playoffs and reached the ECAC championship weekend on 14 occasions.

Not exactly the most impressive stat.

Date: April 19, 2023 06:58AM

coz
From the Release
One of Vaughan's most impressive achievements was leading the program to the ECAC Hockey tournament on a near-annual basis. In his three decades at the helm, Colgate made 27 appearances in the playoffs and reached the ECAC championship weekend on 14 occasions.

I am too lazy to check, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the lowest appearance percentage of the 12 coaches who were in the ECAC last season. :-O

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2023 09:29AM

coz
From the Release

Maybe it's a bit more "impressive", 'cause I think Vaughan got shorted here. I can only find one non-playoff year (2001) during his tenure.

Vaughan is a member of a pretty exclusive club. Only six Div. I coaches have put up more than 500 losses (according to this chart), and only Vaughan and Ferris State's Bob Daniels, who was hired the same year, have done so at one school.

Date: April 19, 2023 11:04AM

Give My Regards
Vaughan is a member of a pretty exclusive club. Only six Div. I coaches have put up more than 500 losses (according to this chart), and only Vaughan and Ferris State's Bob Daniels, who was hired the same year, have done so at one school.
Gaudet got out just in time.

York has the most losses and the most games over .500. Let that sink in.

Schafer is third among active coaches in winning percentage. Pecker is second.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2023 11:07AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 19, 2023 10:44PM

coz
From the Release

I'm still parsing the playoffs-percentage stat. Right now 100% of ECAC teams make the ECAC playoffs. Someone cruder would probably say this is the ECAC version of everybody-gets-a-ribbon.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2023 12:21PM

The "Rand and Nikki Pecknold jock strap storage facility" does have a bit of a nice ring to it.

Page: Previous12345 6 7Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login