Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents and Others, 2022-23

Posted by dbilmes 
Page: Previous1 2 34567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Opponents and Others, 2022-23
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 05:26PM

osorojo
A "tradition of excellence" sounds good, but how do these schools - many of them small and neither wealthy nor large, MAINTAIN this "tradition of excellence" in the face of other schools with many more students, much more money, and better facilities? Is there something unique about college hockey which enables teams from relatively small, relatively unknown colleges/universities to enjoy success in Division One men's ice hockey?

Some schools pick individual sports to highlight. Johns Hopkins emphasizes lacrosse, Providence College has basketball and, with much less emphasis, hockey, Clarkson & Q have hockey, Gonzaga has basketball, etc. Football is the most expensive sport for top-tier competitiveness, Basketball comes in second, but a strong program needs maybe 10 blue-chip players to compete, compared to, say, 50 in football.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 06:02PM

osorojo
A "tradition of excellence" sounds good, but how do these schools - many of them small and neither wealthy nor large, MAINTAIN this "tradition of excellence" in the face of other schools with many more students, much more money, and better facilities? Is there something unique about college hockey which enables teams from relatively small, relatively unknown colleges/universities to enjoy success in Division One men's ice hockey?

The number of teams playing D1 hockey is also a factor. We've got 60 something hockey teams vs. 350 D1 basketball teams or 250+ D1 football teams (125 FCS, 129 FBS). That makes for far less competition in recruiting.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 07:02PM

abmarks
osorojo

The number of teams playing D1 hockey is also a factor. We've got 60 something hockey teams vs. 350 D1 basketball teams or 250+ D1 football teams (125 FCS, 129 FBS). That makes for far less competition in recruiting.
But the pool is likewise smaller; I think that balances.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2022 09:06PM

if you people keep engaging with the low effort bullshit oso throws at you i'm going to lose my mind

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 19, 2022 09:21PM

ugarte
if you people keep engaging with the low effort bullshit oso throws at you i'm going to lose my mind

Bot? I'm beginning to wonder.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 09:22PM by Scersk '97.

Date: November 19, 2022 10:27PM

It's not as if the board is teeming with high quality content. If he's a fan, engage. If he's an AI, well, we're teaching it to be more civil, and someday maybe the Berserkers will spare us.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 19, 2022 11:41PM

for what its worth we have dug ourselves into the top 40 in Pairwise. Sacred Heart is ahead of and Uconn is #3.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: November 20, 2022 12:08AM

ugarte

This. Stop engaging with the stupid fucknugget.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 20, 2022 12:58AM

upprdeck
for what its worth we have dug ourselves into the top 40 in Pairwise. Sacred Heart is ahead of and Uconn is #3.
was wondering why we were so low since i didn't figure a pair of losses to UMD would be so harmful but UMD is 7-7 and behind us in the pairwise. yikes.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-249.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2022 02:04AM

French Rage
ugarte

This. Stop engaging with the stupid fucknugget.

I like the theory that we're all training the world's most crotchety bot.

Date: November 20, 2022 10:01AM

the ivies should get their act together and stop digging them selves such a huge hole in the preseason. starting late then taking on teams that are 3-4 weeks into the season. Cornell playing UMD might be a different game in week 4.. even if its just let the teams start to practice like everyone else it would be a huge start..

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2022 11:16AM

upprdeck
the ivies should get their act together and stop digging them selves such a huge hole in the preseason. starting late then taking on teams that are 3-4 weeks into the season. Cornell playing UMD might be a different game in week 4.. even if its just let the teams start to practice like everyone else it would be a huge start..

It’s perplexing because certain Ivy sports, like basketball and soccer, begin play at the same time as their peers, while sports like football and hockey have these seemingly nonsensical late start dates.

Date: November 20, 2022 01:43PM

scoop85
upprdeck

It’s perplexing because certain Ivy sports, like basketball and soccer, begin play at the same time as their peers, while sports like football and hockey have these seemingly nonsensical late start dates.
I thought it was part of the deal where the Ivies started allowing freshmen to play in 1975-76. For the Fall sports, practice started later to give the freshmen more time to adjust to the academic workload. The Olds would know more.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2022 01:46PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:43PM

Trotsky
scoop85
upprdeck

I thought it was part of the deal where the Ivies started allowing freshmen to play in 1975-76. For the Fall sports, practice started later to give the freshmen more time to adjust to the academic workload. The Olds would know more.
I was on the freshman football team in the fall of '78. Freshmen weren't eligible for varsity football until at least the mid 80s.

Date: November 20, 2022 11:31PM

Chris H82
Trotsky
scoop85
upprdeck

I was on the freshman football team in the fall of '78. Freshmen weren't eligible for varsity football until at least the mid 80s.
I was going by hockey.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-231-52.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2022 03:51PM

Completely unrelated but how is Harvard so high in Pairwise. Undefeated but against a terrible schedule. Last season we would win and lose spots in pairwise due to sos. Harvard has a weak schedule-no problem. Change in the system?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 04:02PM

arugula
Completely unrelated but how is Harvard so high in Pairwise. Undefeated but against a terrible schedule. Last season we would win and lose spots in pairwise due to sos. Harvard has a weak schedule-no problem. Change in the system?

Probably that and being undefeated seems to carry quite a bit of weight in the pairwise during the fall. It's the case pretty much every year

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 08:05PM

arugula
The PWR is flukish and not really worth looking at this early in the season. There likely haven’t been enough out of conference games for the model to accurately compare teams in difference conferences.

Date: November 21, 2022 08:16PM

osorojo
I think osorojo’s implication is that Cornell is not one of “these schools,” and everyone is answering osorojo in good faith without regard to the fact the whole question was intended as a slight against Cornell.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 09:23AM

BearLover
osorojo
I think osorojo’s implication is that Cornell is not one of “these schools,” and everyone is answering osorojo in good faith without regard to the fact the whole question was intended as a slight against Cornell.
Agreed. My father-in-law got very crotchety and disagreeable when he got old. Fortunately, he didn't have the tech skills to be a pain in the ass online, so it was only a problem when we were together.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:34AM

upprdeck
Being in the top 40 is pretty good when it's D1 basketball with 350 teams. Being in the top 40 in hockey puts you ahead of just 20 other teams. Cornell will improve for sure.

First with have to get through the UConn (currently #6, USCHO poll) and Harvard (#9) games. The top New York team is RIT at #20. Clarkson 3 voting points and Cornell 1 also-mentions, at this stage. Sacred Heart is also in the noise-level voting, 4 points. Poll: [www.ncaa.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:48AM

nshapiro
BearLover
osorojo
Agreed. My father-in-law got very crotchety and disagreeable when he got old. Fortunately, he didn't have the tech skills to be a pain in the ass online, so it was only a problem when we were together.
Social media: where every day is Thanksgiving.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 22, 2022 02:14PM

Can't answer a question? Call its author a "bot"- an insect? The question stands by itself: "What are the necessary preconditions for Cornell to create a championship D-1 men's college hockey team?" (Hint - name calling isn't one of them) The only time questions are "disagreeable" is when the respondent is ashamed of or wants to obscure the answer. My question was asked to solicit suggestions as to how Cornell can improve its men's varsity hockey program. If you have no suggestions other than insults STF up!

Date: November 22, 2022 02:22PM

osorojo
Can't answer a question? Call its author a "bot"- an insect? The question stands by itself: "What are the necessary preconditions for Cornell to create a championship D-1 men's college hockey team?" (Hint - name calling isn't one of them) The only time questions are "disagreeable" is when the respondent is ashamed of or wants to obscure the answer. My question was asked to solicit suggestions as to how Cornell can improve its men's varsity hockey program. If you have no suggestions other than insults STF up!
Whatever the necessary preconditions, Cornell has satisfied them. Cornell was a 1-seed going into the NCAA tournament in both 2018 and 2020. They were a 3-seed in 2017 and 2019. Clearly, they have multiple times in the very recent past fielded a team capable of becoming a “championship D-1 men’s college hockey team.” Your question is nonsensical because it relies on the premise that one of the top college hockey programs over the past five years is not a top college hockey program.

Date: November 22, 2022 02:54PM

BearLover
osorojo
Whatever the necessary preconditions, Cornell has satisfied them. Cornell was a 1-seed going into the NCAA tournament in both 2018 and 2020. They were a 3-seed in 2017 and 2019. Clearly, they have multiple times in the very recent past fielded a team capable of becoming a “championship D-1 men’s college hockey team.” Your question is nonsensical because it relies on the premise that one of the top college hockey programs over the past five years is not a top college hockey program.
and that's why i'm losing my mind that it's treated as good faith. people around here get mad at you but your objections have always been specific and supported even if others disagree with the conclusions. oso is all bait.

Date: November 22, 2022 03:46PM

Discussions about the performance of the C.U. Men's Varsity Hockey team and questions about how it might improve are greeted here with name-calling and derision. I have been a C.U. hockey fan for 60 years, from a club team to national champions and beyond, from a sparsely attended Lynah Rink and opponents such as Susquehanna to yearly sellouts at Lynah, and back to a tepid interest in C.U. Hockey. Today C.U is ranked in 37th place in D-1 men's college ice hockey. Don't shoot the messenger - and my "bot" reference was to a robot - not a carrion fly. Drink ink.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 22, 2022 03:59PM

osorojo
C.U. Men's Varsity Hockey team

Lol idk why but I find this level of specificity on a forum about Cornell hockey hilarious - like you don't need to type this out every time we know what you are referring to

Date: November 22, 2022 04:23PM

osorojo
Discussions about the performance of the C.U. Men's Varsity Hockey team and questions about how it might improve are greeted here with name-calling and derision. I have been a C.U. hockey fan for 60 years, from a club team to national champions and beyond, from a sparsely attended Lynah Rink and opponents such as Susquehanna to yearly sellouts at Lynah, and back to a tepid interest in C.U. Hockey. Today C.U is ranked in 37th place in D-1 men's college ice hockey. Don't shoot the messenger - and my "bot" reference was to a robot - not a carrion fly. Drink ink.
Minnesota-Duluth is ranked #39. Scrub program.

Date: November 22, 2022 04:31PM

Dunc
osorojo
C.U. Men's Varsity Hockey team

Lol idk why but I find this level of specificity on a forum about Cornell hockey hilarious - like you don't need to type this out every time we know what you are referring to
it's fake, if that helps?

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2022 10:51PM

osorojo

Sadly, cornell doesnt belong in the group of desired destinations for top tier talents for various reasons. 1.Our logistical support is not on par with premier hockey programs (money issue) 2. The track record of how our guys have fared after graduation in the last decade hasnt been all that great. I do think some of the 3rd round picks we had in recent years should not have been drafted that early though. Regardless, prospects may look at it as a red flag. I have talked to a junior hockey coach and his view is that cornell isnt regarded that highly. Being in the ecac hurts cornell quite a bit in this regard, to be fair. 3. No scholarships 4. Comparative lack of academic prestige (killorn comes to mind + the fact that matty beniers, son of two cornell alums was set on going to harvard and never considered cornell until covid got him to flip his commitment to umich). Im sure there are more...

I think we missed out on the window of opportunity to add more ncaa titles in the 70's through late 2000's. It has gotten so much harder to win the national title, as there are more programs now and college hockey is being taken more seriously and looked at as a genuine pipeline to the NHL.

I questioned whether Schaefer's a good coach on this forum before. I thought it was a fair question because he's gone to the frozen four only once (03) and generally loses in the first round (plus, no ecac championship since 10). But my question was looked at as so ridiculous that people thought I was joking. After thinking more about it, my view has shifted somewhat more in favor of mike schafer. I think he is probably the best coach available to cornell. Hard to imagine a head coach in charge of a D1 program elsewhere wanting to take the helm at cornell. Seeing Justin Ertel (3rd round draft pick) leave after one year and guys like jeff malott and jacob macdonald argubaly having greater success in pro hockey than college days does make me wonder if the cornell system stymies player development to some degree on an individual level.

To attract higher calibre talents, I would probably focus on improving the logistics. I know schafer once brought up not having a team chef or having to ride a bus when other programs would fly their players out. Having a famed skating coach could help as well. (similar to how NHL teams are nowadays spending more on hockey operations for competitive advantage)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 10:55PM by blackwidow.

Date: November 22, 2022 11:41PM

blackwidow, to be fair you wouldn't know this, but one reason your remarks have been regarded unseriously is they are almost verbatim what we have relitigated a thousand times among ourselves over the last 20 years, here and on the predecessor forums going all the way back to hockey-l. And even in those bygone days the topics were cliche.

It isn't so much you are being ignored. It's that you arrive on the scene with a half dozen or so points all of which have been ground to dust, and worse you arrive utterly sure of your insights when we have all taken both sides on each a hundred times and examined all the strengths and weaknesses of each. There just isn't anything new in your criticisms, and there is certainly nothing dispositive in your claims -- all have been more or less accepted as points of view which are understandable but flawed, with many conditionals, and in some cases utterly beside the point as they are environmental and will never change.

Plus, you have been, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here, a dink about it.

I think as you age a bit on the forum you will recognize that while there's merit in some of your comments, they aren't very fertile ground for discussing the team. They are more like the admissions criteria one has to pass through to enjoy and/or suffer along with Cornell hockey. Ranting against the wind when you live in Kansas is, if not short sighted, at least unproductive.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 11:44PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 23, 2022 11:17AM

Trotsky
blackwidow, to be fair you wouldn't know this, but one reason your remarks have been regarded unseriously is they are almost verbatim what we have relitigated a thousand times among ourselves over the last 20 years, here and on the predecessor forums going all the way back to hockey-l. And even in those bygone days the topics were cliche.

It isn't so much you are being ignored. It's that you arrive on the scene with a half dozen or so points all of which have been ground to dust, and worse you arrive utterly sure of your insights when we have all taken both sides on each a hundred times and examined all the strengths and weaknesses of each. There just isn't anything new in your criticisms, and there is certainly nothing dispositive in your claims -- all have been more or less accepted as points of view which are understandable but flawed, with many conditionals, and in some cases utterly beside the point as they are environmental and will never change.

Plus, you have been, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here, a dink about it.

I think as you age a bit on the forum you will recognize that while there's merit in some of your comments, they aren't very fertile ground for discussing the team. They are more like the admissions criteria one has to pass through to enjoy and/or suffer along with Cornell hockey. Ranting against the wind when you live in Kansas is, if not short sighted, at least unproductive.

Who are you and what have you done to [name redacted]?

Date: November 23, 2022 11:23AM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Who are you and what have you done to [name redacted]?

It takes a dink to know a dink. I have the finest qualifications.

Date: November 23, 2022 12:03PM

among other things, we usually lose in the second round

Date: November 23, 2022 03:41PM

ugarte
among other things, we usually lose in the second round
LOL. That's what irritated me the most, too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2022 03:42PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 25, 2022 04:50PM

ECAC still looking like
Q/Harvard
[huge drop]
Cornell/Clarkson
[huge drop]
Everyone else

Q has too many fifth year seniors and Harvard has too much talent. The question is whether there will be more than two NCAA bids from the ECAC this year.

Date: November 25, 2022 06:24PM

BearLover
ECAC still looking like
Q/Harvard
[huge drop]
Cornell/Clarkson
[huge drop]
Everyone else

To be fair, that's what everybody expected coming into the season.

Date: November 25, 2022 07:35PM

SLU surviving so far against Providence.

Date: November 25, 2022 10:57PM

Day 1 of the annual You're Not Helping is in the books, 1-4-1

Brown 3 Holy Cross 0

Niagara 3 Colgate 2
Providence 4 St. Lawrence 3
Vermont 4 RPI 3 (ot)
RIT 5 Princeton 3

Harvard 4 Michigan 4 (ot)

There was also Quinnipiac 5 Dartmouth 2

One fun out of conference result: (PWR #50) LIU 3 (#19) Ohio State 2

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 26, 2022 07:42AM

Trotsky

"That's why they play the games"

Date: November 26, 2022 11:13AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

"That's why they play the games"

St. Thomas also beat Lake State but that was chalk for PWR. Poor Lake State, how they have fallen.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2022 11:04PM

BearLover
arugula
The PWR is flukish and not really worth looking at this early in the season. There likely haven’t been enough out of conference games for the model to accurately compare teams in difference conferences.

Not true ... 90% of all non-conference games have already been played.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2022 11:07PM

blackwidow
I questioned whether Schaefer's a good coach on this forum before. I thought it was a fair question because he's gone to the frozen four only once (03) and generally loses in the first round

this is demonstrably false

Date: November 26, 2022 11:36PM

adamw
BearLover
arugula

Not true ... 90% of all non-conference games have already been played.
The tweet I quoted was about Harvard. At the time of my tweet, Harvard had played one out of its seven OOC games. Harvard’s opponents to that point had largely been Ivies who had collectively played less than 15% of their OOC games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2022 11:37PM by BearLover.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2022 08:30PM

Apparently slew footing is a thing. I am not a knowledgeable fan of hockey and I hadn't seen this called before the game tonight. The "Fridge" seemed baffled as he can be heard expecting the change from interference was going to be a 5 minute major for cross-checking. The game was close. RPI scored the game winning goal on a 5x3 advantage. Though this slew footing call was also parlayed into a 5x3 with a tripping minor being called 3 and a half minutes later, RPI held on winning 2-1. Watson had 41 saves for RPI.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2022 09:08PM

Slew footing is definitely a thing and considered quite dirty in addition to being dangerous. It's not called often because it thankfully doesn't happen often but it's usually more than just a minor. Spearing is something that's in a similar realm as far as severity is concerned
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2022 09:08PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2022 01:15AM

marty
Apparently slew footing is a thing. I am not a knowledgeable fan of hockey and I hadn't seen this called before the game tonight. The "Fridge" seemed baffled as he can be heard expecting the change from interference was going to be a 5 minute major for cross-checking. The game was close. RPI scored the game winning goal on a 5x3 advantage. Though this slew footing call was also parlayed into a 5x3 with a tripping minor being called 3 and a half minutes later, RPI held on winning 2-1. Watson had 41 saves for RPI.

From USA hockey rulebook:

"(Note 4) Slew Footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent's feet from under him. This is done by pushing an opponent's upper body backwards with an arm or elbow at the same time using a forward motion of his leg causing the opponent to fall to the ice...The minimum penalty to be assessed for slew footing is a major plus game misconduct penalty."

Date: November 28, 2022 09:56AM

Here's everybody's favorite POS not named "Ulf" demonstrating slew footing.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dhcp.fnal.gov)
Date: November 30, 2022 09:48PM

Last week our family gathered in Denver for Thanksgiving. Friday evening some of us went to the DU-UNO game Unranked Omaha beat Denver 3-0., so I was feeling a bit optimistic anticipating the MSG game. [omavs.com]

The DU rink seats about 6000 for hockey. Perhaps due the school being on vacation, I'd guess the stands were about 2/3 full. The place felt dead. I was quite disappointed that there was no pep band. I heard two chants all evening and declined to participate in one wave.

Omaha dominated the whole game, winding up with a 2-1 SOG advantage. It was 3-1 after the first period. The pace was furious until both teams tired in the third period. I was surprised that Denver didn't hold up better than Omaha with their advantage of living at the altitude.

I haven't seen much hockey in the last few decades beyond the games at MSG, so this may not be new, but I was interested in the tactic of what I would call the lob pass. A substantial fraction of the clears by both teams consisted of a player in the middle of the defensive zone lifting the puck perhaps 20 feet into the air to land somewhere in the neutral zone on the other side of the ice, usually in the neighborhood of a teammate. This mostly functioned like a jump ball. The high arc gave plenty of time for an opponent to get into the same neighborhood, so it didn't seem to be a very effective tactic for advancing the puck, though it did get the puck out without much risk of being intercepted in the defensive zone or going for icing.

Date: December 01, 2022 08:20AM

The Harvard '89 team made the high lob clear into an art. I swear they never iced the puck.

Date: December 02, 2022 11:35AM

A mob of apologists scream "Bot! Bot!" whenever a post suggests a sub-par performance by a C.U. hockey team and calls for improvement. Crowds were not nearly as forgiving during the decades when the team was expected to at LEAST win the Ivy league men's ice hockey championship. Today's C.U. Hockey fans are much less demanding - and Much less numerous . . .
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2022 11:39AM by osorojo.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-231-52.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2022 09:51PM

osorojo
A mob of apologists scream "Bot! Bot!" whenever a post suggests a sub-par performance by a C.U. hockey team and calls for improvement. Crowds were not nearly as forgiving during the decades when the team was expected to at LEAST win the Ivy league men's ice hockey championship. Today's C.U. Hockey fans are much less demanding - and Much less numerous . . .
Do you actually follow the team or do you just log onto this forum to complain? Cornell regularly wins the Ivy League title. Three years straight from 2018-2020, for example. Harvard currently has 15 draft picks on their team, and I’m sorry that Cornell doesn’t win the Ivy League literally every single season.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2022 09:28PM

Colgate 6 - Harvard 4

Date: December 06, 2022 10:14PM

Date: December 08, 2022 09:49AM

B.L. - What do you consider to be a successful C.U. ice-hockey season? A half-full Lynah Rink for every home game? A top-five finish in the ECAC? What [in your opinion] would be a proper aspiration for a C.U. hockey fan, not too low and not too high?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2022 10:00AM by osorojo.

Date: December 08, 2022 10:57AM

And add in what kind of commitment from the school is required to get the level of success we want as fans.. Money drives the bus.. We still have pretty cheap tickets, parking is mostly free, The school does very little to promote the team being better and help recruiting.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2022 03:24PM

The men's and women's teams were #1 in 2020 when the season was shut down by Covid. There was no 2021 for Cornell. 2022 was a recovery year. 2023 still has a long way to go. Incoming recruits look pretty solid. No reason to whine.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.217.---)
Date: December 08, 2022 04:17PM

Yeah, and putting aside the thread drift for a bit. There are actually some in-conference and OOC games this weekend. It would be nice if the conference improved its overall record

Date: December 08, 2022 11:33PM

osorojo
B.L. - What do you consider to be a successful C.U. ice-hockey season? A half-full Lynah Rink for every home game? A top-five finish in the ECAC? What [in your opinion] would be a proper aspiration for a C.U. hockey fan, not too low and not too high?
See, here’s your problem. Every one of your posts is a straw-man. Literally no one on here is saying their metric for a successful season is Cornell finishing in the top five of the ECAC or Lynah being half-full. Just like no one on here said anything about the strength of a hockey team being correlated with the wealth of a university, or any of the various other fake arguments you’ve spent time disputing. You repeatedly prop up an exaggerated or straight up fake argument and then argue against it, and in so doing you talk past everyone on this forum because no one is actually arguing anything of the sort.

For the record, my metric for a successful CU hockey season is whether it makes the NCAA tournament. I.e., winning the ECAC tournament and/or finishing top ~14 in the Pairwise. Attendance-wise, I would like to see a sell-out or close to a sell out every game (other than intersession), with the student section heavily engaged. Clearly, your post completely missed how critically I judge the hockey team. But that would have been obviously if you’d paid any attention to my posts on here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2022 11:34PM by BearLover.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: December 09, 2022 12:43AM

Al DeFlorio
The men's and women's teams were #1 in 2020 when the season was shut down by Covid. There was no 2021 for Cornell. 2022 was a recovery year. 2023 still has a long way to go. Incoming recruits look pretty solid. No reason to whine.

osorojo would respond but he's too busy trying to find his comically small microdick.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 09, 2022 09:06AM

Not so long ago every Lynah game played before a standing room only crowd. Cornell hockey teams are now frequently playing at home to at best a half-empty rink. The student body and the townies have spoken, while apologists make silly excuses and crude insults rather than consider improvements. Maybe lower the price of admission? Athletes frequently improve their game before a big home crowd.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:47AM

when was the not so long ago sold out crowd thing? Back in the 90s? so like 35 yrs ago?

Date: December 09, 2022 09:50AM

The crowd was as good for the Harvard game as any I have seen in 41 seasons.

The aims for the median Cornell season are:

1. Get to Lake Placid
2. Get an NC$$ invite
3. Win the Ivies

In around half of those seasons, the stars align and we can reasonably have higher aims:

1. Win the ECACs
2. Advance in the NC$$s
3. Crack the PWR top 10

Insisting we must be a national title contender every year isn't being Achievement Oriented or whatever it is you are claiming to be, it is delusional. Relative to the rest of the ECAC we are the pre-eminent team.

Date: December 09, 2022 10:06AM

osorojo
Not so long ago every Lynah game played before a standing room only crowd. Cornell hockey teams are now frequently playing at home to at best a half-empty rink. The student body and the townies have spoken, while apologists make silly excuses and crude insults rather than consider improvements. Maybe lower the price of admission? Athletes frequently improve their game before a big home crowd.
Once again, it seems you do not actually watch any of the games. Lynah was sold out both nights this past weekend, with the most boisterous student section I have seen in 15 years. This season is certainly the most successful in terms of student tickets sold in recent memory. Last year attendance was halved due to COVID restrictions; otherwise, your post is completely incorrect. It’s unclear why you continue to say things that are disproven by five seconds of Googling.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 10:36AM

Trotsky
The crowd was as good for the Harvard game as any I have seen in 41 seasons.

The aims for the median Cornell season are:

1. Get to Lake Placid
2. Get an NC$$ invite
3. Win the Ivies

In around half of those seasons, the stars align and we can reasonably have higher aims:

1. Win the ECACs
2. Advance in the NC$$s
3. Crack the PWR top 10

Insisting we must be a national title contender every year isn't being Achievement Oriented or whatever it is you are claiming to be, it is delusional. Relative to the rest of the ECAC we are the pre-eminent team.
Some just can't seem to forget the late 60s and early 70s when it was expected Cornell would win every time they skated onto the ice. The college hockey world has changed. The number of Division 1 teams has more than doubled. Canada is no longer virgin recruiting territory. American kids compete now on equal footing. The game is national, not regional. The NCAAs are in NHL rinks, not the Broadmoor World Arena.

The 60s and 70s won't happen again. Time to accept that and face today's reality.

Date: December 09, 2022 11:15AM

BearLover
osorojo
Once again, it seems you do not actually watch any of the games. Lynah was sold out both nights this past weekend, with the most boisterous student section I have seen in 15 years. This season is certainly the most successful in terms of student tickets sold in recent memory. Last year attendance was halved due to COVID restrictions; otherwise, your post is completely incorrect. It’s unclear why you continue to say things that are disproven by five seconds of Googling.

Could Age limit the Spanish Red Teddy Bear to a 4th forum? Those that want to engage could follow it/him and spar with his wisdom.

Even more appropriate would be an auto-bot to answer his questions.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2022 12:10PM

Prior to the renovations

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 08:40PM

The BU @ BC game is worth watching. 6-5 BC late in the 2nd.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:03PM

marty
Q-RPI isn't, it's 8-3. Where is the BU game on?

Date: December 09, 2022 09:04PM

Brown tied at Cheel, late. What is wrong with the Knights?

Date: December 09, 2022 09:07PM

Also fun, Princeton up on Union 1-0 on a third period shorty.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:09PM

OT in Potsdam, Cheel is empty. Brown had two good chances to win in the final minute. Short bus hockey coming up.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:13PM

3x3 is a disgrace to Brown hockey, and Brown hockey sucks.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:20PM

Brown goes to shootout, Princeton has won.

If there is a penalty at the end of the overtime and before the shootout, what happens?

They Zamboni before the shootout, I did not remember that.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 09:21PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:26PM

Brown wins the booby prize coming all the way back from 0-2. Huh.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 09:26PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 09, 2022 09:45PM

Trotsky
marty
Q-RPI isn't, it's 8-3. Where is the BU game on?

Hockey East is available bon ESPN+ this year.

Date: December 10, 2022 09:36AM

bu-bc game was on espnu as well last night.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2022 10:13AM

Such a fun game, if you could put up with Buccigross's play-by-play

Date: December 10, 2022 11:15AM

scoop85
Did either team have defensemen?

Date: December 10, 2022 12:43PM

Trotsky
scoop85

Not great defense but both teams have plenty of future NHL talent at forward

Date: December 10, 2022 02:12PM

scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

Not in net.

Date: December 10, 2022 02:31PM

Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

Not in net.

BC’s goalie was Mitch Benson, who last year at Colgate pretty much by himself won the quarterfinal series against us.

Date: December 10, 2022 02:48PM

scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85

Not in net.

BC’s goalie was Mitch Benson, who last year at Colgate pretty much by himself won the quarterfinal series against us.
Han Solo: I know.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 10, 2022 08:56PM

I think a RPI player just got ejected for grabbing the face mask of a Princeton guy during a post-whistle scrum that was only noticed upon a Princeton challenge. And shortly afterwards Princeton scores within 20 seconds of the major power play to make it 5-2. I can't think of last time I've seen that kind of penalty called
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2022 08:58PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: December 10, 2022 09:42PM

Terrible weekend for Clarkson, which has to be biggest disappointment in ECAC so far. Playing at home, it tied both Yale and Brown and lost the shootout both time. Yale has scored 8 goals all season, while Q scored 16 goals this weekend, basically scoring as many goals in each of its games as Yale has scored all season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: December 11, 2022 10:07AM

Iceberg
I think a RPI player just got ejected for grabbing the face mask of a Princeton guy during a post-whistle scrum that was only noticed upon a Princeton challenge. And shortly afterwards Princeton scores within 20 seconds of the major power play to make it 5-2. I can't think of last time I've seen that kind of penalty called

I recall facemasking being called against Cornell fiveish years ago.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:34AM

I've never seen biting. I would like to see biting.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:36AM

This is fun.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2022 04:58PM

Dartmouth lost to Lowell on Friday night and they're currently down 3-0 at UVM. They haven't won a single OOC game this season and still have at least one more. Geez

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: December 11, 2022 05:01PM

Iceberg
Dartmouth lost to Lowell on Friday night and they're currently down 3-0 at UVM. They haven't won a single OOC game this season and still have at least one more. Geez
Dartmouth has only won one game all season, so it's not a surprise that it's lost all of its OOC games.

Date: December 12, 2022 05:13PM

Iceberg
How'd we beat them? We're suckers for falling to teams like this. Or see it has seemed.

Date: December 14, 2022 11:57AM

billhoward
Iceberg
How'd we beat them? We're suckers for falling to teams like this. Or see it has seemed.
Selective perception. I have never heard a fanbase that isn't sure their team always plays down to lesser opponents.

Date: December 27, 2022 09:59AM

Posted by: Iceberg (---.31.digitcenter.mx)
Date: December 29, 2022 10:27AM

Maybe Clarkson has turned a corner? They quite convincingly took out UMass last night after being down 3-0 and have Wisconsin later.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 10:28AM by Iceberg.

Date: December 29, 2022 01:45PM

Iceberg
Maybe Clarkson has turned a corner? They quite convincingly took out UMass last night after being down 3-0 and have Wisconsin later.
4 goals in the third on 7 shots. Ufda.

The final Clarkson goal is listed as ppg 5x5 but is not listed as an eng.

Date: December 29, 2022 02:47PM

Clarkson PR
Clarkson will play in the Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off Championship tomorrow thanks to an epic comeback over UMass tonight at the FISERV Forum in Milwaukee, WI.
Those names. When Cornell played in Florida, 2000-2016, it was the Everblades Classic and the arena until a year before the tournament began was simply Everblades Arena, later Germain Arena (automotive group), TECO Arena (energy), now Hertz Arena (when company relocated from NJ to Estero, FL).

While Clarkson may be on fire as of late, it is in seventh place with 11 points in 8 games (under the 3W 2OTW 1OTL 0L schema) with Colgate-Cornell in 3/4 with 16 points, also in 8 games played. With Quinnipiac unbeaten (10 ECAC GP) and 30 points, they're odds-on the RS champion and the team no one wants to play post-season until the ECAC final game in Lake Placid.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2022 10:48PM

billhoward
Clarkson PR
Clarkson will play in the Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off Championship tomorrow thanks to an epic comeback over UMass tonight at the FISERV Forum in Milwaukee, WI.
Those names. When Cornell played in Florida, 2000-2016, it was the Everblades Classic and the arena until a year before the tournament began was simply Everblades Arena, later Germain Arena (automotive group), TECO Arena (energy), now Hertz Arena (when company relocated from NJ to Estero, FL).

While Clarkson may be on fire as of late, it is in seventh place with 11 points in 8 games (under the 3W 2OTW 1OTL 0L schema) with Colgate-Cornell in 3/4 with 16 points, also in 8 games played. With Quinnipiac unbeaten (10 ECAC GP) and 30 points, they're odds-on the RS champion and the team no one wants to play post-season until the ECAC final game in Lake Placid.

#42 Clarkson takes care of business with a 2-1 win over #29 Wisconsin in the Kwik Trip title game... with no effect whatsoever on Cornell's post-AIC-game-1 #16 position.
EDIT TO ADD: 3-1 with an ENG, sorry.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 11:13PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 10:49PM

And Clarkson wins that tourney with a 3-1 win over Wisconsin.

Beat me to it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 10:49PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: December 31, 2022 09:41AM

the PWR is gonna touch and go all yr for Cornell.. Just winning one of the MD games would have been huge for us.. Cant really afford a slip up down the stretch but I doubt we can expect to run the table and lose only to QUin/Harv/BU. It would be nice to get one of those 3 wins.

Date: January 01, 2023 01:50AM

The Drunkards' Walk of ECAC results actually pulled Cornell back to 16th in the PWR eddies. It was not a terrible holiday week for the conference, for once:
28 Clk W UMass
29 Clk W UMass
29 RPI L BGSU
29 Cor W AIC
30 Drt L Mer
30 Yal L Prv
30 Cgt W Mai
30 SLU W UNO
30 Hvd L BU
30 Uni W UNH
30 Cor T AUC
30 RPI L BGSU
30 Qpc W HC
30 Prn L CC
31 SLU L UNO
31 Cgt T Mai
31 Uni W UNH
31 Prn W CC
9-7-2
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2023 01:55AM by Trotsky.

Page: Previous1 2 34567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login