Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Opponents and Others, 2022-23

Posted by dbilmes 
Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Opponents and Others, 2022-23
Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: April 10, 2022 08:47PM

So far, 6 players are transferring out of the ECAC, mostly from the Ivies. Only 2 players have transferred in to the ECAC, one to Quinnipiac (surprise!) and the other to St. Lawrence.

Re: Opponents and Others, 2022-23
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: April 10, 2022 10:56PM

i think this list is gonna grow pretty soon. is there a time limit on transferring out like there are in other D1 sports if you want to play next yr..

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2022 05:23PM

dbilmes
So far, 6 players are transferring out of the ECAC, mostly from the Ivies. Only 2 players have transferred in to the ECAC, one to Quinnipiac (surprise!) and the other to St. Lawrence.

RPI has lost 4 itself already: Ottoville Leppanen to Merrimack, Simon Kjellberg to NMU, Zach Dubinsky to Michigan State, and Nick Bowman to Canisius. Three others are in the transfer portal, but there are no reports of where they are going so far.

Date: April 11, 2022 06:15PM

interesting no cornell kids in there yet?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2022 09:59PM

upprdeck

Maybe if the IL doesn't screw things up this year, the guys will decide to stay where their hearts are.

Date: April 12, 2022 01:32AM

ursusminor
dbilmes

RPI has lost 4 itself already: Ottoville Leppanen to Merrimack, Simon Kjellberg to NMU, Zach Dubinsky to Michigan State, and Nick Bowman to Canisius. Three others are in the transfer portal, but there are no reports of where they are going so far.

Make that 5, Jake Johnson is going to QU. That really hurts.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2022 04:19AM

Swampy
upprdeck

Maybe if the IL doesn't screw things up this year, the guys will decide to stay where their hearts are.
Two Cornellians have entered the transfer portal: Nate McDonald and Joe Howe.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 12, 2022 06:56AM

It's a testament to the goaltending this past year when the expected starter winds up transferring after his first year. I suppose Howe thought he'd be better off elsewhere with the new guy coming in next fall and Shane basically taking the starter role.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 06:56AM by Iceberg.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2022 08:01AM

makes me appreciate Nate even more

Date: April 12, 2022 09:44AM

cbuckser
Swampy
upprdeck

As noted in a different thread, Nate McDonald has announced that he is transferring to Michigan State.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: April 12, 2022 11:08AM

cbuckser

Hoo boy. It's a brave new world. Until this changes, if ever, we better start poaching too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 11:08AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-240-194.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 11:41AM

No loyalty in this world. Im angry

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 11:56AM

blackwidow

C'mon, no reason college athletes shouldn't have the right to freely transfer like any other college student. Sometimes things just don't work out, and a change is just what they need.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-209.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 12:25PM

scoop85
blackwidow

C'mon, no reason college athletes shouldn't have the right to freely transfer like any other college student. Sometimes things just don't work out, and a change is just what they need.

What, you don't think Howe should be a permanent bench fixture / healthy scratch because he got beat for a starting job? Why, if we allow him to transfer, he may yet have a hockey career, and his loyalty to Cornell should be more important than that.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-240-194.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 01:00PM

Exactly this. Cornell loyalty >>> very unlikely pro hockey career

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 01:03PM

blackwidow

Delusional

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2022 01:43PM

I’m not going to fault a kid for wanting to play elsewhere when he isn’t getting playing time. These kids want to play hockey, not linger on the bench. With that said, it’s a little surprising Howe is throwing in the towel so quickly. One would have thought he’d have a decent chance at winning the position next season.

Also, Cornell and the Ivies need to figure out what they are going to do about the transfer portal. The Ivies don’t permit scholarships or graduate transfers, which limits the number of players who could transfer to their school. I do not know if the coaching staff has expressed a position on the transfer portal, but at the moment rival schools are scooping up players while the Ivies are getting no one.

Date: April 12, 2022 01:55PM

BearLover
I’m not going to fault a kid for wanting to play elsewhere when he isn’t getting playing time. These kids want to play hockey, not linger on the bench. With that said, it’s a little surprising Howe is throwing in the towel so quickly. One would have thought he’d have a decent chance at winning the position next season.

Also, Cornell and the Ivies need to figure out what they are going to do about the transfer portal. The Ivies don’t permit scholarships or graduate transfers, which limits the number of players who could transfer to their school. I do not know if the coaching staff has expressed a position on the transfer portal, but at the moment rival schools are scooping up players while the Ivies are getting no one.

exactly this. It's not like cornell had high goaltending standards last season. maybe there was a fallout with the coaching staff.

Date: April 12, 2022 02:40PM

blackwidow
BearLover

exactly this. It's not like cornell had high goaltending standards last season. maybe there was a fallout with the coaching staff.

Shane put up a .933 save percentage.

Again, didn't you say you were leaving?

Date: April 12, 2022 02:54PM

Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover

Shane had some terrific games but also gave up soft ones. I wouldnt call him an elite goalie yet. I changed my mind about leaving. Hopefully, the same happens to Howe.

Date: April 12, 2022 04:00PM

blackwidow
Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover

Shane had some terrific games but also gave up soft ones. I wouldnt call him an elite goalie yet. I changed my mind about leaving. Hopefully, the same happens to Howe.

Shane had a higher freshman save percentage than Gillam, Iles, Scrivens, and McKee. He was a few points below Galadja and LeNeveu's freshman seasons.

You said we didn't have a "high bar." Now you're saying "oh maybe it was a high bar but it wasn't elite."

Stop it. Shane was tied for fourth in the entire country in save percentage (tied with Galadja, no less).

Go suggest that a COVID booster caused Schafer's heart condition somewhere else.

Date: April 12, 2022 04:01PM

BearLover

He's already behind Shane and we have Koeppel coming in.

I'm OK with this from Cornell's POV, too. We can start to turn the wheels on the next goaltender in the pipeline. We're at least barely minimally compliant for goaltending with Shane, so we can recruit among the most highly sought after prospects with a clear conscience that if that takes a couple years we're still set, whereas if we strike gold quickly we won't have an embarrassing glut of goalies seeking minutes. As for Howe, it's ideal for him. He showed he's good enough, and somebody out there could probably use him as a #1.

They really do need to figure it out. I have always maintained that as long as we are admitting athletes who are remotely in the same intellectual ballpark as our real, er, unathletic students then all the rest of the Paraphernalia of Elitism (later start, shorter schedule, no athletic scholarship, ban on grad eligibility) is transparently cynical brand management. These idiots are every bit the students that the average rich frat bro is. Stop punishing them to maintain our fictional superiority among Long Island brood sows.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 04:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-3.myvzw.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 04:52PM

Dafatone
blackwidow
Dafatone
blackwidow
BearLover

Shane had a higher freshman save percentage than Gillam, Iles, Scrivens, and McKee. He was a few points below Galadja and LeNeveu's freshman seasons.

You said we didn't have a "high bar." Now you're saying "oh maybe it was a high bar but it wasn't elite."

Stop it. Shane was tied for fourth in the entire country in save percentage (tied with Galadja, no less).

Go suggest that a COVID booster caused Schafer's heart condition somewhere else.

I thought this forum was in agreement about shane being a rebound board in several games this season. I used high bar and elite interchangeably.

Also, my dad was advised not to take the vaccine because of his underlying heart conditions. Covid vaccine causing heart inflammation in rare cases i thought was factually correct. I believe vaccination across the vast majority of the population is the right thing to do \-_-/

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 09:51PM

It’s a weird thing with Shane. The numbers are great and stats don’t lie, but he just doesn’t make me as comfortable as some of those other goalies, even those with slightly worse numbers.

Maybe it’s some sort of bias.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2022 09:54PM

CU2007
It’s a weird thing with Shane. The numbers are great and stats don’t lie, but he just doesn’t make me as comfortable as some of those other goalies, even those with slightly worse numbers.

If it is, I have it too.

Juicy rebounds. Maybe we also felt less comfortable with the defense's ability to control the play so any slip seemed critical.

Date: April 12, 2022 10:26PM

CU2007

Good numbers, but small sample size. The jury is definitely still out.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 10:46PM

BearLover
CU2007

Good numbers, but small sample size. The jury is definitely still out.

The jury is not still out with me. IMO, the future of the team rests with the success of our incoming goalie(s), not Shane. Shane's glowing numbers? It's the system!

Date: April 12, 2022 11:00PM

considering he went from not playing at all to starting and doing pretty well in the middle of a time where the team was not really even able to practice, i think we need to let it play out... some of the stuff he needs to improve on may come in time. rebound control can be improved easier than stopping the original shots

Date: April 13, 2022 10:06AM

We have had goalies who made significant improvements over their careers (Bandurski, Skazyk, Underhill). The important thing is this time last year goaltending was a giant question mark. Now we know that we have, at worst, a good goalie who put up great numbers, and who seems to work well within The System (TM).

We are in so much better a position than last year at this time. We reset at 4th, not 7th or 10th. We have a young team but we do not face the assimilation of an enormous number of players with no prior playing time. We know we can score. Our big problem is probably defense which is the one thing we seem to always be able to reload and refine.

Oh, and by October Mike might not be needing intensive care quite so often.

Future's bright, folks. Now let's go steal some underclassmen in the portal! That's how you screw BU!
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2022 10:09AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2022 10:42AM

blackwidow

Not everyone expects to play in the bigs. We had a player a few years back whose plan was to play college hockey well enough to play pro hockey in Europe, because it would give him the opportunity to live in another country.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 13, 2022 11:01AM

jtwcornell91
blackwidow

Not everyone expects to play in the bigs. We had a player a few years back whose plan was to play college hockey well enough to play pro hockey in Europe, because it would give him the opportunity to live in another country.

I was joking there with a hint of resentment. just being resentful that he gave up on his cornell career when I shouldn't be.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: April 13, 2022 05:33PM

Ben Tupker(?) in the portal. [www.therinklive.com]

Date: April 13, 2022 06:43PM

Scersk '97
The fuck?

Looks like he didn't like his healthy scratches there near the end.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2022 06:44PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 13, 2022 07:39PM

maybe ask yourself why he was a healthy scratch

Date: April 13, 2022 08:01PM

Scersk '97

Whats going on... (T.T)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2022 04:26PM

Jerry York just retired at age 76.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2022 12:42PM

Date: April 15, 2022 03:49PM

Good to know there are no important problems in the Capital District.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2022 03:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.static.firstlight.net)
Date: April 15, 2022 04:05PM

"after receiving $10 million in state financing"

Great, so now I'm paying for Union's new arena on top of the Bills' new stadium.

Date: April 15, 2022 04:10PM

Give My Regards
"after receiving $10 million in state financing"

Great, so now I'm paying for Union's new arena on top of the Bills' new stadium.

I know it makes me all warm & fuzzy..

It feels great to be fleeced!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2022 09:37AM

Date: April 16, 2022 04:37PM

"Good hair! No hair!"

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2022 04:23PM

Trotsky
"Good hair! No hair!"

I have a recollection, pretty sure it was from the 1985 ECAC Semis at the Gahden. We'd played in the first game, and Hahvahd and RPI were in the 2nd game. When the first of those teams skated out on the ice (Hahvahd?) , we started a chant with a point at their coach (Cleary?), "The coach is bald! The coach is bald". Then when RPI skated out, we changed it to pointing at their coach (Fridgen?) and saying "The coach is fat! The coach is fat!". And then we simply went back and forth "Fat - Bald - Fat - Bald".

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 17, 2022 04:46PM

Chris H82
Trotsky
"Good hair! No hair!"

Then when RPI skated out, we changed it to pointing at their coach (Fridgen?) and saying "The coach is fat! The coach is fat!

Mike Addesa. Fridgen wasn’t there until the 90s.

Date: April 17, 2022 04:55PM

That was the reference I was going for. The night Cornell fans took over the Gahden and we weren't even playing.

It was the 85 final. We had lost to RPI in our semi the prior night, then beaten Clarkson in the consy. But we all hung around and dominated the barn, cheering for Cornell (who was already on their way back home) and razzing both teams. It was ecstasy.

That was also when RPI had a HUGE traveling fanbase (on their way to the NCAA title) and a band that had an electric bass.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2022 05:05PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 18, 2022 10:16PM

LOL.

He'll be suspended to the second week of October.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 10:16PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (45.144.113.---)
Date: April 22, 2022 02:40PM

Trotsky
White home ownership is ~2X that of Blacks in the region. Be good to also compare home ownership ratios by ethnicty and then by income level. There probably still is inequity, some of it may be by income levels.

Posted by: billhoward (45.144.113.---)
Date: April 22, 2022 02:42PM

>>> The System (TM).

Good one. Have you used this before?

Date: April 22, 2022 05:08PM

billhoward
Trotsky
White home ownership is ~2X that of Blacks in the region. Be good to also compare home ownership ratios by ethnicty and then by income level. There probably still is inequity, some of it may be by income levels.

Research on the subject finds differences at all income levels, and not just for ethnicity. Gender: at all income levels, female-headed households have lower home ownership rates than male-headed. Class: at all income levels, employer-headed households have higher home-ownership rates than employee-headed households, etc. In fact, in many cases persons in particular inter-sectional categories (e.g., black, female employers) are so rare that, in all but the largest social surveys (i.e., with sample sizes of several hundred thousand or more), one cannot even make statistically useful comparisons.

Eyeballs
Date: April 26, 2022 06:41AM

RPI's Ture Linden opts for PSU as scouts need eyeballs, too.

Coaches
Posted by: marty (38.101.74.---)
Date: April 26, 2022 04:49PM

AHCA.

Re: Coaches
Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2022 05:16PM

marty
AHCA.

I can't find it right now, but I read something the other day that they were supposed to discuss increasing the maximum number of games in a season -- the logic being that this would encourage teams to schedule the new D1 programs. If they did that, would that be the tipping point for the Ivies to finally go beyond 29?

Re: Coaches
Date: April 27, 2022 12:32AM

Weder
marty
AHCA.

I can't find it right now, but I read something the other day that they were supposed to discuss increasing the maximum number of games in a season -- the logic being that this would encourage teams to schedule the new D1 programs. If they did that, would that be the tipping point for the Ivies to finally go beyond 29?

The purpose of the lower Ivy game limit is, like the scholarship ban, the late start, and graduating players losing eligibility, to market a discriminator between the Ivies and The Commoners to preserve The Brand. So, on the one hand, if the NC$$ increases the number of games by 4 we could too and still maintain that luxury niche. On the other, increasing the number at all works against the premium of handicapping oneself for noblesse oblige.

If, in 1860, the average professional athlete salary jumps from $1000 to $2000, the amateur playboy athlete could start demanding $1000 and still be able to lord it over "those mere tradesmen." But the fact of taking any filthy lucre at all would subvert the image.

The courts killing the scholarship ban as a restraint of the athletes' fair value could be a best case for Ivy athletes. The schools have painted themselves into a corner. They can't shitcan the heraldry of privilege themselves; it brings in the cash. But if they are forced to, legally, well, a terrible shame the Olde Club has been desegregated by those meddling courts, but (sigh) I suppose we must move with the times, my dear.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2022 12:38AM by Trotsky.

Date: May 10, 2022 05:07PM

This would be interesting to do for all the NC$$ teams (or at least the ECAC).

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 05:10PM by Trotsky.

Date: May 10, 2022 05:46PM

Trotsky

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI

No BU for Cornell? Or, is this only in-league or frequent opponent?

Date: May 10, 2022 09:11PM

Swampy
Trotsky

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI

I would not say BU is a factor over the range of all fans anymore. It's been 40 years. But by all means, nobody is DQed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2022 09:11PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 11, 2022 07:11AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI

I would not say BU is a factor over the range of all fans anymore. It's been 40 years. But by all means, nobody is DQed.

I think I'd put Colgate in instead of the deerticks. But YMMV.

Date: May 11, 2022 08:37AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI

Yeah, I think #3 is always fluid. I said Q right now because of the power implications, in the way that it was Yale for a while. My personal 3 will always be SLU but, again, that's just frozen in amber from the 80s. There may be people who would stick Union or Princeton there.

It aint Brown, anyway.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2022 08:39AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-32.myvzw.com)
Date: May 11, 2022 09:14AM

Most hated for me is Dartmouth in a landslide, but I don't know that I'd call them a top three rival.

Date: May 11, 2022 09:24AM

If you listen to the Big Red Sports Network podcasts from this season, nearly every current or recent alum player they talk with lists Q as one of their biggest/most hated rivals, right up there with Harvard.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2022 04:55PM

I suspect every Ivy, probably every ECAC team, has Cornell has one of its top three rivals.

Cornell hates Harvard most, regardless of Harvard's competitiveness in the current year, because it's Harvard, some of us didn't get in, Love Story cemented the distate, etcetera. Quinnipiac is No. 2 currently because it's so good, the arena is gorgeous (my opinion) and we dislike fans who bail midway through the second period. Clarkson we admire because they're good a lot of years and imagine how much we'd hate them if we'd lost to them, not won, in the 1970 ECAC and NCAA finals. Although it's been a while.

When any other ECAC team does a senior-memories PR flashback, somebody always says, the most memorable road trip is Cornell.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-16.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2022 07:16PM

Bye bye Ben

?t=EM2d_NG1MyKX5ZewgSntLA&s=19

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: May 12, 2022 08:30PM

Max Andreev says he’s “not done yet” in a video where he’s pulling on a Cornell jersey.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: May 12, 2022 08:48PM

Was Andreev looking to leave??

Date: May 12, 2022 11:10PM

it was not a done deal he would be allowed to come back.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: May 12, 2022 11:44PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky

Some guesses (IMO)

Cornell:
1. Harvard
2. Clarkson
3. Quinnipiac

Harvard:
1. Yale
2. Cornell
3. Princeton

Clarkson:
1. SLU
2. Cornell
3. RPI

Yeah, I think #3 is always fluid. I said Q right now because of the power implications, in the way that it was Yale for a while. My personal 3 will always be SLU but, again, that's just frozen in amber from the 80s. There may be people who would stick Union or Princeton there.

It aint Brown, anyway.

Even if Q is good, I don't really, like, care about them. I don't care how their fans, if they exist, care about beating us. Given that, I'd have to place Colgate at #3 because at least they derive some pleasure out of beating us, so I want to deprive them of that, in the way they were deprived of joy when college acceptances came and they had to live with the fact that the best they could do was Colgate.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 13, 2022 04:31AM

billhoward
I suspect every Ivy, probably every ECAC team, has Cornell has one of its top three rivals.
Cornell was certainly one of RPI's top three rivals when I was in Troy starting in 1964, perhaps even #1, and if not, then #2 after Clarkson. This was in the main due to the perception that Cornell had stolen Ned Harkness. It led to the so-called "Game that Saved RPI Hockey" in December 1968. Now #1 is sUCk which didn't have a team when I was at RPI, and #2 is Clarkson. It's between Cornell and SLU for #3.

BTW, Ben Tupker is going to sUCk.:-D

Date: May 13, 2022 09:13AM

French Rage
Even if Q is good, I don't really, like, care about them. I don't care how their fans, if they exist, care about beating us. Given that, I'd have to place Colgate at #3 because at least they derive some pleasure out of beating us, so I want to deprive them of that, in the way they were deprived of joy when college acceptances came and they had to live with the fact that the best they could do was Colgate.

There are few comments to which I can just add a +1. This.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-208.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2022 09:55AM

upprdeck
it was not a done deal he would be allowed to come back.

I still don't understand why Max had to ask for special dispensation from the Pope(s).

Date: May 13, 2022 12:25PM

The biggest rivals to me are the conference opponents who have been winning recently. So, Q, Harvard, and Clarkson, in that order. To most players on the team I would assume the list is approximately the same. To students on campus it’s probably Harvard, then some mix of Q, Colgate, Clarkson. Ten years ago the team I most wanted to beat was Yale.

Date: May 13, 2022 01:44PM

That's the dog that saved Charleston.

Well fuck him.

Date: May 13, 2022 01:46PM

BearLover
The biggest rivals to me are the conference opponents who have been winning recently. So, Q, Harvard, and Clarkson, in that order. To most players on the team I would assume the list is approximately the same. To students on campus it’s probably Harvard, then some mix of Q, Colgate, Clarkson. Ten years ago the team I most wanted to beat was Yale.

One pox hovers above all.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: May 13, 2022 01:55PM

blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

Forgive my ignorance, but to be clear, this means that Ben graduated in three years? Zach will be back? I understand Ben was ILR, those would be tough credits to transfer, so he must have graduated.

Date: May 13, 2022 02:35PM

arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

Forgive my ignorance, but to be clear, this means that Ben graduated in three years? Zach will be back? I understand Ben was ILR, those would be tough credits to transfer, so he must have graduated.

Does Union offer graduate degrees?

Date: May 13, 2022 02:46PM

arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

Ben says in the tweet he is graduating. To my knowledge Zach has given no public indication he is going anywhere. The only other Cornell player in the transfer portal is Howe.

We are very fortunate Andreev is coming back. Of course, only in the Ivy League does one need to go through an opaque approval process from a mysterious governing body to exercise his fourth year of eligibility. Other schools across the country will once again be stocked with players exercising their fifth year of eligibility, no questions asked.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.55.---)
Date: May 13, 2022 05:34PM

BearLover
arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

Ben says in the tweet he is graduating. To my knowledge Zach has given no public indication he is going anywhere. The only other Cornell player in the transfer portal is Howe.

We are very fortunate Andreev is coming back. Of course, only in the Ivy League does one need to go through an opaque approval process from a mysterious governing body to exercise his fourth year of eligibility. Other schools across the country will once again be stocked with players exercising their fifth year of eligibility, no questions asked.

Max is the only player left from his freshman class.

Date: May 14, 2022 11:27AM

RichH
BearLover
arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

Max is the only player left from his freshman class.

I would also like to include a huge Union logo in my response. Is there a way to do this?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2022 09:33PM

Dafatone
Most hated for me is Dartmouth in a landslide, but I don't know that I'd call them a top three rival.

There's definitely a different between hatred and rivalry. I can't stand Quinnipiac, but they don't deserve to be anyone's rival. As a traditionalist, I'd say Cornell's biggest rivals would/should be

1. Harvard
2. BU
3. Clarkson

If we're limiting it to the ECAC, Colgate would probably be #3.

Surely Clarkson's are 1.SLU 2.RPI 3.Cornell?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: May 15, 2022 01:53PM

Swampy
arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

I've got another likely dumb question. Since Ben was a junior this year who only played 2 years at Cornell doesn't he have 2 years of eligibility which he can play out at fu%^ing Onion?

Date: May 15, 2022 02:37PM

i would think he has 2 yrs left

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-11.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2022 04:16PM

marty
Swampy
arugula
blackwidow
Bye bye Ben

I've got another likely dumb question. Since Ben was a junior this year who only played 2 years at Cornell doesn't he have 2 years of eligibility which he can play out at fu%^ing Onion?

Apparently,3 years of eligibility
[docs.google.com]

Date: May 15, 2022 04:36PM

he can have 3 more years but he can only play 2 of them

Date: May 31, 2022 03:07PM

ECAC alumni in the NHL conference finals (other than Riley Nash with Tampa):

Harvard: Alex Killorn, Tampa; Adam Fox, Rangers

Clarkson: Nico Sturm, Colorado

Union: Keith Kinkaid, Rangers

Quinnipiac: Devon Toews, Colorado

Date: June 02, 2022 10:00AM

Nate found a new home. Good luck.

?t=TSqMIWqOfMS_qtfRKHmslQ&s=19

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-44.myvzw.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 10:34AM

blackwidow
Nate found a new home. Good luck.

?t=TSqMIWqOfMS_qtfRKHmslQ&s=19

Does culture beat strategy?

Good for Nate, otherwise.

Date: June 02, 2022 02:35PM

Need to schedule Guelph for an exhib.

Who was the alum we played when he was in a CIAU program after graduation? Stu Smith maybe?

Posted by: zanderman200 (216.73.160.---)
Date: June 08, 2022 04:59PM

Guelph game is currently in discussion. tentative date would be October 20 or the 21st

Date: June 08, 2022 05:52PM

zanderman200
Guelph game is currently in discussion. tentative date would be October 20 or the 21st
Great news! banana

Date: November 18, 2022 04:36AM

Michigan had 10 scratches due to illness last night. Tyler Shea is their third string goalie. They lost 5-2 to Minnesota.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 18, 2022 11:17AM

With a few spectacular exceptions (eg: K.Dryden) college hockey players do not dominate the cream of professional hockey players - as athletes do in most other sports. How come?

Date: November 18, 2022 11:30AM

osorojo
With a few spectacular exceptions (eg: K.Dryden) college hockey players do not dominate the cream of professional hockey players - as athletes do in most other sports. How come?

Even the great Ken Dryden did some time in the minors before emerging as an NHL star.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 18, 2022 12:11PM

osorojo

Because hockey established the CHL as its feeder system, while the NFL and NBA use the factory ahem "colleges." It's the same reason most baseball players don't come up through college, though many do.

Date: November 18, 2022 02:24PM

redice
osorojo

Even the great Ken Dryden did some time in the minors before emerging as an NHL star.

IIRC, Dryden finished the season, spent a few weeks at Montreal's AHL team, and then was called up for the first Stanley Cup series, which was against the Boston Bruins. At the time I was living in a communal house in Somerville, with one TV and almost 90% Bruins fans. I got home from work, as the first game was starting, and my housemates asked me, "Who's this guy Dryden?" They soon learned, and I had the last laugh. **]

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2022 03:37PM

Trotsky
osorojo

Because hockey established the CHL as its feeder system, while the NFL and NBA use the factory ahem "colleges." It's the same reason most baseball players don't come up through college, though many do.

Yeah players tend to get drafted out of junior leagues (Ex. CHL (OHL,WHL,QMJHL) or USHL). European Professional Leagues are also common

I think what turns a lot of teams away from NCAA is that unless someones talent level is through the roof, oftentimes the players coming out of the junior leagues will be younger and wont necessarily commit to playing in their junior league for long while most NCAA students that are drafted do usually stick around for the full 4 years of college, and a lot can happen in four years which creates a large risk associated with drafting them.

Date: November 19, 2022 09:45AM

Year after year some universities have hockey teams in the top twenty, even the top ten, and neither the size of the school nor the endowment of the school nor the academic credentials of the school seem to be a predictor of their success in D-1 College Men's hockey?! It's reasonable to assume that these continually successful colleges and universities share some common condition(s) which contribute their winning ways. No-fair copping out with "They get better players". How do they continually get better players? Are some recruiters and coaches just lucky, year after year?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2022 09:50AM

osorojo
Year after year some universities have hockey teams in the top twenty, even the top ten, and neither the size of the school nor the endowment of the school nor the academic credentials of the school seem to be a predictor of their success in D-1 College Men's hockey?! It's reasonable to assume that these continually successful colleges and universities share some common condition(s) which contribute their winning ways. No-fair copping out with "They get better players". How do they continually get better players? Are some recruiters and coaches just lucky, year after year?

Usually a combination of schools that prioritize hockey, have great facilities, and a tradition of excellence. Think North Dakota.

Date: November 19, 2022 11:17AM

osorojo
Certain college coaches build symbiotic networks with CJHL and BCHL coaches. The juniors coach draws the attention of the college coach to certain players, the college makes offers to those players. The coaches probably have similar styles to make the transition from one level to the next easier. It's mutually advantageous if it results in a conveyor belt to the pros, since both coaches' reputations are bolstered.

The college name also has a lot to do with it, since the hockey community associates it with quality and trust. It is *very* hard to fuck up as coach of Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, BU, BC, and Michigan. It's probably pretty hard to fuck up at Cornell, Harvard, and Clarkson, although some have worked at it.

Date: November 19, 2022 11:42AM

A "tradition of excellence" sounds good, but how do these schools - many of them small and neither wealthy nor large, MAINTAIN this "tradition of excellence" in the face of other schools with many more students, much more money, and better facilities? Is there something unique about college hockey which enables teams from relatively small, relatively unknown colleges/universities to enjoy success in Division One men's ice hockey?

Date: November 19, 2022 12:00PM

osorojo
A "tradition of excellence" sounds good, but how do these schools - many of them small and neither wealthy nor large, MAINTAIN this "tradition of excellence" in the face of other schools with many more students, much more money, and better facilities? Is there something unique about college hockey which enables teams from relatively small, relatively unknown colleges/universities to enjoy success in Division One men's ice hockey?

College hockey is different because it's not entirely driven by dollars, yet. In the Professional College Sports, money is everything. Winning coaches move to the most lucrative gig. The best players go to the schools that are on television to attract the hype that drives their professional careers (and the branding that generates their real money, which dwarfs their salaries). Academics factor at zero, since star students never crack a book or attend a class. The athlete is a marketing tool for the university, and the university is a vehicle for the athlete positioning himself to become a celebrity.

As college hockey gets bigger, that will be its future. The Big x and PAC y will eventually dominate and every existing hockey power not named Michigan or Minnesota will have the relative status of Ivy League football. That is unless the entire bubble bursts and professional athletics is severed from "education."
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 12:06PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 19, 2022 04:16PM

Trotsky
It's probably pretty hard to fuck up at Cornell, Harvard, and Clarkson, although some have worked at it.

"Paging Brian McCutcheon and George Roll! Paging Mr. McCutcheon and Mr. Roll!"

Both lost control of their teams, i.e., the players just weren't willing to play for them anymore; they lost the plot. Vide all previous discussion of the miraculous emergence of Brad Chartrand. (For what it's worth, I was very worried about this re: Schafer back in 2013.)

And then there's Mark Morris and, say, Mel Pearson. Good coaches, perhaps, but just not cut out for the college hockey ranks, where part of the job has always been to shepherd young men and to mold their habits.

Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login