Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lake Placid roll call

Posted by Greenberg '97 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lake Placid roll call
Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 14, 2022 08:59AM

Anyone else going to be there anyway?

I was so excited when my son's hockey program picked this weekend to do the Can/Am tournament. Now I have a thrilling afternoon of Quinnipiac-Colgate to look forward to. Yay.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 09:14AM by Greenberg '97.

Re: Lake Placid roll call
Date: March 14, 2022 12:51PM

Tough room. I'll see myself out...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: March 14, 2022 01:05PM

At least you'll outnumber the Harvard contingent.

Re: Lake Placid roll call - food, drink, lodging
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2022 02:09PM

Shortened version:

Lake Placid as it applies to weekend visitors with hockey on their minds is one street wide, Main Street, running south to north along the lake (Mirror Lake; Lake Placid is just north of downtown).

The Olympic Center rinks, also Lake Placid HS and the speed skating oval, are at the south end. Parking is free, just go where the cops point, at most it's a 5-minute walk to the rink. Most restaurants are along Main Street to the north.

Dining and drinking:

South of the rink:
Wiseguys Sports bar (walk downhill past the speed skating oval, first right, on School St), biggest sports bar in town, decent food.
Downtown diner, 2 blocks farther south, very good breakfasts
Lake Placid Brew Pub, walk downhill on Main with the skating oval on your right, turn left on Mirror Lake Drive, it's 1-1/2 blocks in. Good food and drink.

North of the rink:
Every imaginable kind of food and drink, also at least one spot with live entertainment.
Best sandwiches (closes 3pm), Big Mountain Deli & Creperie (see 46 Sandwiches flag)
High Peaks resort / Dancing Bear restaurant, pretty nice vibe for what was a Hilton a while back (1980 Olympics), drinks available on an outdoors patio with fireplace, palatable if the temp is above freezing)
The Cottage, a block past the downtown business district, on the lake, nice XC90-meets-Subaru-Forester kind of place.

Half-mile out of town, go to the of business district, bear left on Sara-Placid Road (townies may say The Sarananc Road):
Saranac Sourdough, 2126 Saranac Road, 9-2 (9-noon Sunday), very good sandwiches, could stop there for real food for the ride home.

Also on the outskirts of LP: Lisa G's, nicer fare, also has a good bar but not a sports bar.

In years past, you can go out for a beer or a pizza from the rink, especially Friday before game two, and get back in if your hand is stamped. Try that at MSG.

Lodging:
It comes down to hotels/motels in Lake Placid where you can walk to everything and pay a premium, and outside where you have to drive in. Quality pretty much correlates to what they charge. A goodly number of AirBnB's, not unlimited b/c LP is another town that restricts how many nights a year they can be rented out.

There is always lodging available, it just may be 15 or 20 minutes away, especially since ski season is winding down. Some of the motels out of town were built a long time ago, not all have been well maintained, so read guest comments carefully.

As of Monday 3/14, rates seem overly high. Maybe they'll fall off when Cornell fans turn out to not be coming. The Crown Plaza, very nice, just uphill from the rink, is asking $679 a night. Whereas the Hungry Trout a decent motel next to Whiteface Mountain 20 minutes away is $129.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 02:31PM by billhoward.

Date: March 14, 2022 02:21PM

I'm just hoping Mirror Lake and/or the Oval have one week of skating left in them. Highlights of the weekend the last time we were there.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2022 04:15PM

Not going, but for the love of all that is holy, LET'S GO TECH!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2022 05:47PM

Rooting for Casey all the way this weekend.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2022 09:00PM

Word in LP today was that public skating on the Oval is on for (Tuesday) tomorrow, but the rest of the week is up in the air due to weather. The new refrigeration system should allow them to extend the season, and I think the urge is there to have it open during ECACs, unlike in years past when it seemed no one could be bothered.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.220.---)
Date: March 14, 2022 10:39PM

Trotsky
I checked out some of their games during the Cornell itermission as my sons played with or against 5 kids on their roster. Stunning to see so few turn out for a home playoff game. That's depressing!

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2022 10:41AM

I’m rooting for Q so only one ECAC team makes the NCAAs. Never rooting for Clarkson again after 2018-19 ECAC Championship game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2022 10:47AM

RatushnyFan
Trotsky
I checked out some of their games during the Cornell itermission as my sons played with or against 5 kids on their roster. Stunning to see so few turn out for a home playoff game. That's depressing!

But not unusual. You shouldn't get depressed over a common occurrence.

I remember a series in Albany when the Harvard band was there for their semifinal, which they won, but left and didn't show for the finals.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (161.185.160.---)
Date: March 15, 2022 11:12AM

BearLover
I’m rooting for Q so only one ECAC team makes the NCAAs. Never rooting for Clarkson again after 2018-19 ECAC Championship game.

I'm rooting for Colgate for the exact opposite reason.

And Clarkson in the second game because Harvard.

Date: March 15, 2022 11:35AM

BearLover
Never rooting for Clarkson again after 2018-19 ECAC Championship game.
I don't think that's fair. The Clarkson forward tried to help him up and even signaled to the ref that play should be stopped, and afterwards Casey said it was terrible that play was not called immediately to help him.

That was on terrible officiating. Clarkson was nothing but honorable.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-193.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2022 11:38AM

Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan
Trotsky

But not unusual. You shouldn't get depressed over a common occurrence.

I remember a series in Albany when the Harvard band was there for their semifinal, which they won, but left and didn't show for the finals.

There is a history of only fair attendance in the quarterfinals played on home ice at Lynah. We attended the Yale at Cornell games in 2002 and it was similarly attended.

The turn out on Saturday was, I think, a bit more than normal for this type of series. And the fans were great.

Date: March 15, 2022 11:45AM

BearLover

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I was upset that Coach Vaughan did not come over to shake Coach Syer's hand after the game Sunday. I believe it was also Casey Jones who just walked off Lynah without a shake this year.

Don't know why,but it certainly drops them down in my estimation.

I'll still root for Colgate and Clarkson Friday night. If they both win, probably Clarkson.

Date: March 15, 2022 12:21PM

Scersk '97
Word in LP today was that public skating on the Oval is on for (Tuesday) tomorrow, but the rest of the week is up in the air due to weather. The new refrigeration system should allow them to extend the season, and I think the urge is there to have it open during ECACs, unlike in years past when it seemed no one could be bothered.
Lake Placid wants the ECACs to be there forever. (The current contract is through 2024.) The Adirondacks is a huge protected area and not a place to site industry, so visitors count for a lot. Even a low-turnout ECAC tournament beats the usual couple hundred using the rinks for youth or adult hockey on a typical weekend. Having the speed skating oval open is a good thing. Highs this weekend look like 50, 44, 37. Sort of borderline for an outdoor rink.

The ECACs moved to Lake Placid for the 1993 tournament, left for Albany and Atlantic City for a decade (I thought attendance in AC was so bad, the ECAC was paid to cut short the Atlantic City deal), have been back in Placid since 2014. From ECAC sites and Wiki:
ECAC Hockey Tournament Finals
Boston Arena   1962-1966
Boston Garden  1967-1992
Lake Placid    1993-2002
Albany         2003-2010
Atlantic City  2011-2013 
Lake Placid    2014-2024
Lake Placid is an overnight stay if you're from Ithaca, metro NYC or Boston. Alt sites the ECAC might consider, Albany and Bridgeport ('New Haven minus Yale equals Bridgeport') are possible one-day trips: Pack bags, drive up Friday, if your team wins, get online and find a room, else go home.

The ECAC offices are now in Clifton Park north of Albany, so perhaps there'll be a tug back to the Capital District. If hockey tournament attendance continues, could the Glens Falls Arena, now Cool Insuring Arena (cap. 4806) be in play? Especially if leagues favor arenas and tournaments with odd names. Beef O'Brady Bowl is about as bad as it gets.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2022 12:29PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I was upset that Coach Vaughan did not come over to shake Coach Syer's hand after the game Sunday. I believe it was also Casey Jones who just walked off Lynah without a shake this year.

I'll still root for Colgate and Clarkson Friday night. If they both win, probably Clarkson.

Casey gave a legit wave to the Cornell bench that night. I was in section N and saw it firsthand.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 15, 2022 12:38PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover

The coaches haven't been doing this all season because of what I assume is COVID rules.

Date: March 16, 2022 09:41AM

Iceberg
Jim Hyla
BearLover

The coaches haven't been doing this all season because of what I assume is COVID rules.

Thanks, I didn't notice it till the end of the season.doh

Posted by: facemadeforradio (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2022 01:32PM

billhoward
Scersk '97
If hockey tournament attendance continues, could the Glens Falls Arena, now Cool Insuring Arena (cap. 4806) be in play? Especially if leagues favor arenas and tournaments with odd names. Beef O'Brady Bowl is about as bad as it gets.

Having seen this facility from the dressing room up many times on visits with the Binghamton Senators, I can't see a potential move here being viable (dependent upon what one finds most ideal as a visiting team). Aging facility (constructed around the same time as Herb Brooks Arena) that has seen some upgrades, but not sure that would be enough to warrant a move. Capacity is ideal for an ECAC tournament that seems to struggle to come close to a full house in LP unless you get Cornell/Clarkson/SLU/random 4th team in a given year...atmosphere potential at Cool Insuring Arena would be attractive, but dressing room facilities would be a huge red flag. Room for AHL visitors back in the day was spartan (and that's being kind) and I'm not sure they have four adequate spaces to host teams for the semifinals.

Not totally unbiased here but Binghamton, with an aesthetically nicer facility with similar capacity would be a pretty good fan experience. But as is the case with smaller venues, dressing room amenities fall short of the travel party requirements both in space and modern feel.

Date: March 18, 2022 08:55AM

Who do you want to NOT win? Would the worst of worlds be a Quinnipiac-Harvard title match?

Posted by: osorojo (97.104.222.---)
Date: March 18, 2022 09:43AM

I enjoy some small satisfaction that the odds against either Quinnipiac or Harvard winning the title involve a decimal point - and lots of zeros.

Date: March 18, 2022 11:01AM

billhoward
Who do you want to NOT win? Would the worst of worlds be a Quinnipiac-Harvard title match?

Harvard wins. Q loses under all possibilities

Date: March 18, 2022 11:21AM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

Rooting for Q or Colgate to win the ECAC. Q winning would mean only one ECAC team makes the NCAAs. Colgate winning would mean two make the NCAAs, but Colgate is so bad that they’d lose 7-0 to Michigan in their first round game and we wouldn’t have to worry about another ECAC frozen four/national title. Those are my two cents and they’re just as valuable as anyone else’s!

Date: March 18, 2022 11:49AM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
billhoward

Rooting for Q or Colgate to win the ECAC. Q winning would mean only one ECAC team makes the NCAAs. Colgate winning would mean two make the NCAAs, but Colgate is so bad that they’d lose 7-0 to Michigan in their first round game and we wouldn’t have to worry about another ECAC frozen four/national title. Those are my two cents and they’re just as valuable as anyone else’s!

I don't know that you have to be so touchy about having an opinion on this forum.

But, nor should you not expect someone(s) to disagree with you, as I have in the past.

Date: March 18, 2022 12:04PM

Jim Hyla
BearLover
Jim Hyla
billhoward

I don't know that you have to be so touchy about having an opinion on this forum.

But, nor should you not expect someone(s) to disagree with you, as I have in the past.
I value your opinion, by the way. You tend to be kinder about expressing disagreement than some others on here. I suspect there are other former posters who disagree with the ELynah hive mind like I do, but those posters threw in the towel and left long ago. Personally, I am too stubborn and too addicted to Cornell hockey to leave this place.

Date: March 18, 2022 12:20PM

BearLover
Jim Hyla
BearLover
Jim Hyla
billhoward

I value your opinion, by the way. You tend to be kinder about expressing disagreement than some others on here. I suspect there are other former posters who disagree with the ELynah hive mind like I do, but those posters threw in the towel and left long ago. Personally, I am too stubborn and too addicted to Cornell hockey to leave this place.

Thanks, but over time it seems that you've also toned down the way you present your remarks. That makes a big difference when one is posting a negative opinion.

There's no reason to leave here if anyone can be willing to post reasonably and take criticism, which I agree, sometimes can be too personal.

Date: March 18, 2022 02:21PM

BearLover
I suspect there are other former posters who disagree with the ELynah hive mind like I do, but those posters threw in the towel and left long ago. Personally, I am too stubborn and too addicted to Cornell hockey to leave this place.

Remember, you need at least one friend to hammer in that last nail.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 02:41PM

Greenberg '97

I was so excited when my son's hockey program picked this weekend to do the Can/Am tournament. Now I have a thrilling afternoon of Quinnipiac-Colgate to look forward to. Yay.

So as of now we know there will be one eLynah member in LP?

Date: March 18, 2022 04:00PM

marty
Greenberg '97

The Fridge isn't a poster here...

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:09PM

marty
Greenberg '97

Well, I thoroughly embarrassed my son's hockey team by being the lone "Red!" during the anthem.

If they play it again later, at least I'll have Clarkson to keep me company.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:22PM

QU already did what we couldn't do over our 3 game series, which is score the 1st goal. Given how stingy QU is, that could be enough.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:26PM

The ESPN+ broadcast is lousy today. Audio is up&down in level & video comes & goes. Tbey suck today!!!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 04:27PM

scoop85
QU already did what we couldn't do over our 3 game series, which is score the 1st goal. Given how stingy QU is, that could be enough.

Now 2-0 with under 3 minutes left in the 1st. Probably all she wrote for the Raiders.

Date: March 18, 2022 04:38PM

redice
The ESPN+ broadcast is lousy today. Audio is up&down in level & video comes & goes. Tbey suck today!!!!

I just called ESPN+.... They disconnected my call. I really didn't expect much from them. And they delivered! They clearly do not have their "A" team in LP.

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 18, 2022 05:11PM

Q 2 Colgate 1, late in the second.

Posted by: facemadeforradio (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 05:11PM

redice
redice

I just called ESPN+.... They disconnected my call. I really didn't expect much from them. And they delivered! They clearly do not have their "A" team in LP.

It's the Clarkson production team and announcers. Wouldn't call myself an eLynah member, but I'm here...and the lone "Red" during the anthem was VERY noticeable!!! LOL

Date: March 18, 2022 05:14PM

facemadeforradio
redice
redice

It's the Clarkson production team and announcers. Wouldn't call myself an eLynah member, but I'm here...and the lone "Red" during the anthem was VERY noticeable!!! LOL

If you're going to go, might as well go all in.

Date: March 18, 2022 05:24PM

2-1 Q after 2.

Date: March 18, 2022 05:47PM

Q 3-1, mid 3rd. Boo.

Date: March 18, 2022 06:36PM

Amazing end of the first OT in the semi between the women of Northeastern and Minnesota Duluth.

Great save's by Frankel in the last minute.

ESPN+ giving us a freebie.

Date: March 18, 2022 07:38PM

What I've learned from watching the Placid games: sports has become mind-numbingly boring to me without a strong rooting interest.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2022 07:43PM

Trotsky
What I've learned from watching the Placid games: sports has become mind-numbingly boring to me without a strong rooting interest.

There’s always sports gambling to get your juices flowing; I’m sure you might have seen an ad or two about it :-P (disclaimer: I don’t have the faintest interest in sports gambling)

Date: March 18, 2022 07:43PM

1-0 Harvard. Their fan is happy.

Date: March 18, 2022 08:31PM

Right now it looks like Harvard would be the better chance to beat Q.

Date: March 18, 2022 09:27PM

3-3 halfway through the third.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: March 18, 2022 09:51PM

Rooting for the Meteor.

Date: March 19, 2022 01:27PM

Scersk '97
Rooting for the Meteor.

Thought long and hard about this one. I will root for Sucks, albeit silently, for the two bids.

Still going tonight. Go hockey.

Son is in championship game tomorrow, which is all that really matters.

Date: March 19, 2022 01:32PM

Greenberg '97
Scersk '97
Rooting for the Meteor.

Thought long and hard about this one. I will root for Sucks, albeit silently, for the two bids.

Let's give the ECAC bid to your son's team.

Date: March 19, 2022 02:24PM

Trotsky
Greenberg '97
Scersk '97
Rooting for the Meteor.

Let's give the ECAC bid to your son's team.

I’m all for that

Date: March 19, 2022 04:49PM

Greenberg '97
Scersk '97
Rooting for the Meteor.

I can't. I may hate QU, but eventually they'll leave. One can only hope. Very few care about that Northeastern championship back in '82.

But Harvard? That's forever.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.sub-97-35-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 07:34PM

Where did all these Harvard fans come from? Did the one guy reproduce by binary fission?

1-0 Sucks, pending review. Play was onside, not sure what they're looking at.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.sub-97-35-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 07:35PM

Greenberg '97
Where did all these Harvard fans come from? Did the one guy reproduce by binary fission?

1-0 Sucks, pending review. Play was onside, not sure what they're looking at.

Refs are looking, not linesmen.

Good goal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 07:36PM by Greenberg '97.

Date: March 19, 2022 08:16PM

Greenberg '97
Where did all these Harvard fans come from? Did the one guy reproduce by binary fission?.
The Cantabrigians found it's possible to find Incline Village/Lake Tahoe-look and possibly price houses at the north end of Mirror Lake (past the end of Main Street, opposite end from the arena).

Date: March 19, 2022 09:22PM

Harvard up 2-1 with 13 to go in the third. Fairly uneventful and TBH kinda boring. Harvard not even bothering with transition, just taking the puck to the red and throwing it in.

Q goalie has the stupidest helmet I've ever seen. It looks like it was pounded together out of old caddy grills.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-227.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 09:28PM

Trotsky
Harvard up 2-1 with 13 to go in the third. Fairly uneventful and TBH kinda boring. Harvard not even bothering with transition, just taking the puck to the red and throwing it in.

Q goalie has the stupidest helmet I've ever seen. It looks like it was pounded together out of old caddy grills.

It's been about fifteen years and I still want to know why Kris Mayotte had a chicken on his mask.

Date: March 19, 2022 09:29PM

ESPN+ shits the bed with 10 to go.

Date: March 19, 2022 09:36PM

pp + en for Q. 7 minutes to go. Going for it.

Q scores right off the faceoff. Damn, that's how you do it. Fuck Q but nice job by Pecknold.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 09:38PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 19, 2022 09:52PM

Glad to be on the couch at home.

My definition of hell is being at the rink in a scoreless tie between Q & Harvard that lasts forever.

(Once every few minutes there is a score, a seven minute review and then the goal is waived off.)

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 19, 2022 10:03PM

Q outshot Harvard 18-1 in third period. As much as I hate/dislike/detest Q and Pecknold, I give him credit for not being afraid to pull his goalie when the occasion calls for it. I've always felt that Schafer is often too conservative in pulling our goalie when we are trailing in the third period. It paid off on the power-play with 6 minutes left tonight when Pecknold pulled the goalie with his team down by one.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:06PM

dbilmes
Q outshot Harvard 18-1 in third period. As much as I hate/dislike/detest Q and Pecknold, I give him credit for not being afraid to pull his goalie when the occasion calls for it. I've always felt that Schafer is often too conservative in pulling our goalie when we are trailing in the third period. It paid off on the power-play with 6 minutes left tonight when Pecknold pulled the goalie with his team down by one.

It must have been a fairly easy decision to make. After all, Q OWNED the puck for most of the 3rd.

-Ned Harkness

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 10:44PM by redice.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:20PM

Harvard wins.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:20PM

HARVARD 3-2 OT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 10:20PM by Jim Hyla.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:29PM

I kept rooting for the meteor but it never arrived.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:44PM

One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

ECAC RS Titles: 2013, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021, 2022
ECAC Champions: 2016

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 11:26PM

Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell

Date: March 19, 2022 11:28PM

Congrats everyone on the big win! Enjoy your night of partying.

Date: March 19, 2022 11:28PM

blackwidow
Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell
Cornell drought goes back to 2010, last ECAC title. Longest in the Lynah Rink era.

Date: March 19, 2022 11:38PM

billhoward
blackwidow
Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell
Cornell drought goes back to 2010, last ECAC title. Longest in the Lynah Rink era.

I just want us to win when it matters. I bet i can coach better than Schafer (tournaments only).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 11:38PM by blackwidow.

Date: March 19, 2022 11:46PM

blackwidow
I just want us to win when it matters. I bet i can coach better than Schafer (tournaments only).
It wasn't Schafer who landed on top of Matt Galajada in OT of the 2019 title game against Clarkson and required Austin McGrath to come on in relief.

This Cornell Sun article recalls Cornell's unhappiness: [cornellsun.com]

Date: March 19, 2022 11:47PM

blackwidow
Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell

Cornell's Last 6 RS Titles and Championships from Those Seasons:

ECAC RS Titles: 1973, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2018, 2020
ECAC Champions: 1973, 2003, 2005

So, no.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 11:47PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 19, 2022 11:52PM

billhoward
blackwidow
It wasn't Schafer who landed on top of Matt Galajada in OT of the 2019 title game against Clarkson and required Austin McGrath to come on in relief.

This Cornell Sun article recalls Cornell's unhappiness: [cornellsun.com]

I was gonna say it wasnt just about the 2019 ezac championship game but i guess this habit of doing better in regular season games than tournament games started rather recently. (To be honest, i only started following cornell hockey in 2017 and started retroactively reading up on their history and became mightily disillusioned.)

Date: March 19, 2022 11:56PM

Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell

So, no.

My apologies. I only started following cornell hockey a few years back. My impression of cornell hockey being a team that cracks under pressure got compounded by my traumatic experience of witnessing cornell womens hockey falling to the princeton womens team in the ecac final just before the start of the pandemic. In the last couple years, it just felt like both men and women have been dropping the games that really matter. Im relatively young and impressionable.(i also attended the 18-19 championship game against clarkson in lake placid in person)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 11:58PM by blackwidow.

Date: March 20, 2022 12:31AM

Harvard lapping the ECAC in recruiting has come home to roost. Frankly, had last season not been canceled, the 2020-21 Harvard team may been the most talented team in ECAC history post-split with Hockey East. Players who went pro when last season was canceled included Jack Drury, Jack Badini, Jack Rathbone (yes, triple Jack), and Reilly Walsh. Matty Beniers decommitted and went to Michigan, where he is a Hobey Baker finalist this season. Harvard’s talent level is off the charts by ECAC standards and Donato is finally figuring out how to win with it. Harvard has always gotten talent, but never like this. I predict Harvard, not Cornell or Quinnipiac or Clarkson, will be the dominant force in the league over the next decade.

Date: March 20, 2022 12:34AM

BearLover
Harvard lapping the ECAC in recruiting has come home to roost. Frankly, had last season not been canceled, the 2020-21 Harvard team may been the most talented team in ECAC history post-split with Hockey East. Players who went pro when last season was canceled included Jack Drury, Jack Badini, Jack Rathbone (yes, triple Jack), and Reilly Walsh. Matty Beniers decommitted and went to Michigan, where he is a Hobey Baker finalist this season. Harvard’s talent level is off the charts by ECAC standards and Donato is finally figuring out how to win with it. Harvard has always gotten talent, but never like this. I predict Harvard, not Cornell or Quinnipiac or Clarkson, will be the dominant force in the league over the next decade.

They were outshot something like 46 to 15 tonight, so maybe we can hold off on the hagiography.

Date: March 20, 2022 09:13AM

BearLover
I have no crystal ball but I think we are as well-placed to dominate as anybody in the league except perhaps Q who can admit subhumans.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2022 09:54AM

Trotsky
BearLover
I have no crystal ball but I think we are as well-placed to dominate as anybody in the league except perhaps Q who can admit subhumans.
80+% acceptance rate

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-131.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2022 10:28AM

Q was 1-5-1 against Cornell, Harvard, and Clarkson. 30-1-3 against everyone else. Means either that they will win the National title or they kind of suck.

Date: March 20, 2022 10:29AM

scoop85
BearLover

They were outshot something like 46 to 15 tonight, so maybe we can hold off on the hagiography.

This rejoinder is the correct one. There is nothing Harvard does that can't be solved by playing great defense. And, after next year, I predict we will be discussing the significant and immediate diaspora from Cambridge. Our current sophomores and freshmen, however talented, will not be leaving.

Still, if BearLover is right, I can bide my time. Much of the 80s were Harvard's and, to a lesser extent, SLU's. We did fine during that time, even winning a championship in '86 and having chances to do so again later on. These things go in cycles, and the structural advantages that Harvard seems to enjoy in recruiting right now may not always obtain.

What I am most concerned about are Schafer and Schafer.

(1) I hope Schafer can "go" next year. Although I think he'll be able to, and I'm doubly sure that there is nothing he wants more, I have no inkling either way. Heart problems take a while to recover from, but they can be recovered from just fine. I worry for him; I very much want him to be able to retire from coaching on his own terms. But, in an institutional sense, I worry because…

(2) The thing that can go really wrong is the transition to whomever comes next. Schafer will not coach Cornell forever. In replacing a "generational" coach, we can't botch the next hire like, say, BU seems to have by hiring a new generational coach that didn't stick around or Clarkson did by hiring a quick replacement that couldn't control a team at the Division I level. That's what happened with McCutcheon, who, by all reports, seems to be able to coach hockey but just lost his touch with college players in a way that I think, definitively now, it seems someone like Schafer does not. We either need our next generational coach, or we need a "short timer" that doesn't stay around too long but leaves the team in a good condition. Either way, we can't blow it, so I would prefer that transition takes the right amount of time and consideration. And, if the hockey gods be kind, I hope we really, really luck out like we did back in 1995.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2022 10:57AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
BearLover
80+% acceptance rate

I don’t see why so many folks get hung up about acceptance rate as some sort of signal that a school isn’t great. Clarkson also has an acceptance rate of about 80% and people don’t bag on it because there are tons of other factors in the quality of a school.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 10:58AM by Weder.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2022 11:03AM

Weder
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
BearLover
80+% acceptance rate

I don’t see why so many folks get hung up about acceptance rate as some sort of signal that a school isn’t great. Clarkson also has an acceptance rate of about 80% and people don’t bag on it because there are tons of other factors in the quality of a school.

I agree. Cornell gets made fun of for the same reason in the ivy league :'(

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2022 11:04AM

Trotsky
blackwidow
Trotsky
One good thing.

Quinnipiac:

Wow, kinda like cornell

So, no.

Not to mention the titles in 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, and 2010 as a non-1-seed in the same timespan.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 20, 2022 11:35AM

Scersk '97
scoop85
BearLover

This rejoinder is the correct one. There is nothing Harvard does that can't be solved by playing great defense. And, after next year, I predict we will be discussing the significant and immediate diaspora from Cambridge. Our current sophomores and freshmen, however talented, will not be leaving.
The thing about Harvard is that even the elite players tend to stay in school 3 or 4 years. The players already self-selected to care about their education when they chose the school, and once they matriculate they appear to value finishing their degree more than players at programs of comparable talent. See, for example, Harvard’s 2017 Frozen Four team—stocked with draft picks, many of whom were in their senior season. Cornell can compete with a team like BU when the average BU player is 2 years younger. Things get dicey when you’re going up against BU talent in their junior or senior season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 11:36AM by BearLover.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: March 20, 2022 12:08PM

BearLover
Scersk '97
scoop85
BearLover

The thing about Harvard is that even the elite players tend to stay in school 3 or 4 years. The players already self-selected to care about their education when they chose the school, and once they matriculate they appear to value finishing their degree more than players at programs of comparable talent. See, for example, Harvard’s 2017 Frozen Four team—stocked with draft picks, many of whom were in their senior season. Cornell can compete with a team like BU when the average BU player is 2 years younger. Things get dicey when you’re going up against BU talent in their junior or senior season.

Harvard is and always has been “stocked with draft picks” for the past 25+ years. Outside broadcasters and hockey fans always come in and ooooh and ahhhh about their perennial 8-9+ drafted players when they look at the roster. And Harvard nearly always underperforms by that metric. Draft picks don’t matter as much as coaching and development at this level.

I’m sure there’s likely family pride involved when a talented kid considering the college route makes that choice simply to have a “Harvard Man” in the family. You can’t get that anywhere else, not even Yale or Princeton. It’s probably more parental pressure than the players’ managers. Every so often a blue chipper like Oliver Wahlstrom breaks that and goes somewhere else as the hype builds, but the “elite education” factor will keep most of the players. Also, the gentlemanly club life at Yale.

Date: March 20, 2022 12:35PM

RichH
Harvard is and always has been “stocked with draft picks” for the past 25+ years. Outside broadcasters and hockey fans always come in and ooooh and ahhhh about their perennial 8-9+ drafted players when they look at the roster. And Harvard nearly always underperforms by that metric. Draft picks don’t matter as much as coaching and development at this level.

I’m sure there’s likely family pride involved when a talented kid considering the college route makes that choice simply to have a “Harvard Man” in the family. You can’t get that anywhere else, not even Yale or Princeton. It’s probably more parental pressure than the players’ managers. Every so often a blue chipper like Oliver Wahlstrom breaks that and goes somewhere else as the hype builds, but the “elite education” factor will keep most of the players. Also, the gentlemanly club life at Yale.

HYP have outstanding financial aid which also helps: nobody gets fucked simply for cost they can't absorb. Cornell still doesn't do that, presumably because the endowment is not large enough and not because Day Hall are psychotics robotically playing out the dismal string of Late Stage Capitalism.

Even if we did something about that there would still be designer label effect, and that won't even be solved when the proles inevitably rise and butcher the rich. Though it is something to look forward to.

I'm still not convinced anything has changed in recruiting dynamic. I am now old enough to have experienced all of the following schools being trumpeted as on the way to perpetual dominance due to alleged systemic advantages:

RPI
Harvard
St. Lawrence
Clarkson
St. Lawrence, again
Princeton (Remember that one? That was hilarious)
Yale
Harvard again

No doubt in a few years there will be a Moral Panic about the rise of Brown.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2022 12:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2022 06:02PM

Trotsky
No doubt in a few years there will be a Moral Panic about the rise of Brown.

I will take that bet right now.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 11:28PM

BearLover
Scersk '97
scoop85
BearLover

Once they matriculate the entire world values finishing their degrees more than (those of) players at programs of comparable talent.

Date: March 24, 2022 09:32AM

Swampy
BearLover
Scersk '97
And, after next year, I predict we will be discussing the significant and immediate diaspora from Cambridge. Our current sophomores and freshmen, however talented, will not be leaving.

Once they matriculate the entire world values finishing their degrees more than (those of) players at programs of comparable talent.

There seems to be some confusion about what I wrote, so I'll be more explicit. I think Coronato is gone after next year; even a Harvard boy will answer the siren's song. Then, the numerous current juniors who have not enjoyed all of their eligibility due to the COVID year will face a choice. I think they'll bag it and "leave" too, bachelors in hand.

Regarding next year itself, I have not explored my thoughts on a granular level; for example, Donato's kid is the only one of their current seniors who was on the Betts, Locke, Haiskanen plan. I don't have any insight on any particular players, mostly because I don't care overly much to troll the bare mentions in the Crimson as to their plans. Maybe many of this year's seniors with eligibility left try to pull a Andreev. If, say, Dornbach and Rifai both do, Harvard's going to be odds on favorites to win it all again next year. National implications start to swirl. Absolutely sickening, I know, but that's the facts.

After that, Harvard, to my eyes, will return to a more normal level. Any current juniors who try to pursue their extra year of eligibility in Cambridge will only make the rebuilding process longer and more painful. Maybe we have a similar problem. Something in me thinks that the current juniors are leaving Ithaca after next year, but I could be wrong.

F'ing COVID.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2022 09:43AM by Scersk '97.

Date: March 24, 2022 09:54AM

Scersk '97
Swampy
BearLover
Scersk '97
And, after next year, I predict we will be discussing the significant and immediate diaspora from Cambridge. Our current sophomores and freshmen, however talented, will not be leaving.

There seems to be some confusion about what I wrote, so I'll be more explicit. I think Coronato is gone after next year; even a Harvard boy will answer the siren's song. Then, the numerous current juniors who have not enjoyed all of their eligibility due to the COVID year will face a choice. I think they'll bag it and "leave" too, bachelors in hand.

Regarding next year itself, I have not explored my thoughts on a granular level; for example, Donato's kid is the only one of their current seniors who was on the Betts, Locke, Haiskanen plan. I don't have any insight on any particular players, mostly because I don't care overly much to troll the bare mentions in the Crimson as to their plans. Maybe many of this year's seniors with eligibility left try to pull a Andreev. If, say, Dornbach and Rifai both do, Harvard's going to be odds on favorites to win it all again next year. National implications start to swirl. Absolutely sickening, I know, but that's the facts.

After that, Harvard, to my eyes, will return to a more normal level. Any current juniors who try to pursue their extra year of eligibility in Cambridge will only make the rebuilding process longer and more painful. Maybe we have a similar problem. Something in me thinks that the current juniors are leaving Ithaca after next year, but I could be wrong.

F'ing COVID.
You may well be right about all of the above. But my point is less about Harvard’s current roster and more about the direction the program has trended. Yes, Harvard has always gotten the best talent in the ECAC. But this year’s 12 draft picks is the most in Harvard history. They would have had even more if not for COVID. Cornell, meanwhile, has 4. And judging from the recruits in the pipeline, there are more Coronatos on the way.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-202.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 11:29AM

BearLover
Scersk '97
Swampy
BearLover
Scersk '97

F'ing COVID.
You may well be right about all of the above. But my point is less about Harvard’s current roster and more about the direction the program has trended. Yes, Harvard has always gotten the best talent in the ECAC. But this year’s 12 draft picks is the most in Harvard history. They would have had even more if not for COVID. Cornell, meanwhile, has 4. And judging from the recruits in the pipeline, there are more Coronatos on the way.

Pain :'(

Date: March 24, 2022 11:40AM

BearLover

I think Harvard's recent assistants, Jim Tortorella (brother of John) and before him Paul Pearl, are the structural advantage more than anything else. Tortorella's thankfully an '81 Maine grad, so one hopes he's getting close to retirement age, at least for the rigors of the recruiting trail.

We'll see if Teddy can mold all those blue chippahs into a cohesive and consistent unit. They'll surely be, as normal, dangerous. As long as Schafer can get back to full strength, I still like our chances.

Date: March 24, 2022 02:20PM

Al DeFlorio
[Quinnipiac] 80+% acceptance rate
Quinnipiac accepts 82% of applicants to get about 1800 first years, a 11% yield. That was before last year (for the current first year class): with admissions down 20%, the accept rate climbed to 87%, 80% for engineering (is this the guy who'll determine how many pilings must be sunk how deep in marshy soil to keep the next Home Deport above the water table?

R.I.T., the school that replaces Quinnipiac in our hearts in the ECAC, has a 74% acceptance rate and a 19% yield. I thought it was more selective; maybe that was a generation ago when Kodak poured lots of engineers through the MBA program and paid good money for it.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-210.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 04:39PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
[Quinnipiac] 80+% acceptance rate
Quinnipiac accepts 82% of applicants to get about 1800 first years, a 11% yield. That was before last year (for the current first year class): with admissions down 20%, the accept rate climbed to 87%, 80% for engineering (is this the guy who'll determine how many pilings must be sunk how deep in marshy soil to keep the next Home Deport above the water table?

R.I.T., the school that replaces Quinnipiac in our hearts in the ECAC, has a 74% acceptance rate and a 19% yield. I thought it was more selective; maybe that was a generation ago when Kodak poured lots of engineers through the MBA program and paid good money for it.

If Kodak were in the mix wouldn't it be less selective. How many Kodak engineers would be rejected?

Date: March 24, 2022 05:25PM

Why does it matter if the other ECAC teams have strong academics? Are Clarkson or St. Lawrence considered good schools (I’m asking in earnest; I have no idea)? We already have the Ivy League. I don’t think we need to belong to any additional academically elite groups. And quality of academics doesn’t have much bearing on the quality of the hockey program.

Date: March 24, 2022 08:43PM

marty
If Kodak were in the mix wouldn't it be less selective. How many Kodak engineers would be rejected?
George Eastman's money the U of R one of the best endowed schools in America, per capita, for much of the 20th century. It also spent R&D funds at RIT and Rochester and sent a lot of Kodak staff to RIT for grad degrees. The funding let RIT hire better profs, buy more equipment, make it a more desirable school. Now, pretty much no more Kodak: 80,000 down to ~6,000.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-210.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 08:53PM

billhoward
marty
George Eastman's money the U of R one of the best endowed schools in America, per capita, for much of the 20th century. It also spent R&D funds at RIT and Rochester and sent a lot of Kodak staff to RIT for grad degrees. The funding let RIT hire better profs, buy more equipment, make it a more desirable school. Now, pretty much no more Kodak: 80,000 down to ~6,000.

I'm just saying statistically if 99% of the Kodak folks get in the program that would mean it was less selective overall. Not arguing about the quality of the students or the program, just the silly statistic.

If the engineering school is more selective, which I'm guessing it still is, the current overall selectivity number might not reflect what many of us think of as RIT.

It's no Q.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 24, 2022 08:56PM

as many of the ivy kids apply to several of the schools its not really selective anyway.. if 50K apply to the same 5 schools and they all take 10K it looks like each school only accepts 20% of applicants.. but is that really reflective of what happened.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2022 11:39PM

marty
billhoward
marty

I'm just saying statistically if 99% of the Kodak folks get in the program that would mean it was less selective overall. Not arguing about the quality of the students or the program, just the silly statistic.

If the engineering school is more selective, which I'm guessing it still is, the current overall selectivity number might not reflect what many of us think of as RIT.

It's no Q.
only true if kodak isn't a destination company recruiting top candidates to work for it that it then sends to the local school. i would argue that for a long time kodak was one of those companies.

Date: March 25, 2022 10:33AM

No question RIT is a pretty good school. Maybe RIT joining ECAC will raise its profile with recruits. Atlantic Hockey where RIT resides now has 10 schools and other than Army and Air Force, the only other school you think as a name sports school is Holy Cross. RIT has 17,000 undergraduate students; the others have 1,700 (AIC) to 4,400 (Army, Air Force). Academically, RIT is at 117 in the US News Top National Universities, Clarkson is 127, RPI is 55, Quinnipiac is 148. St. Lawrence is ranked among Liberal Arts schools, #57, where Union is #50. So RIT's entree would not water down the league, if that is a quote concern.

Atlantic Hockey is Air Force, AIC, Army, Bentley, Canisius, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Niagara, RIT, Sacred Heart. Used to include Iona, Fairfield and Robert Morris, all dropped hockey; Quinnipiac to ECAC 2005, UConn to Hockey East 2014.

Date: March 25, 2022 11:20AM

upprdeck
as many of the ivy kids apply to several of the schools its not really selective anyway.. if 50K apply to the same 5 schools and they all take 10K it looks like each school only accepts 20% of applicants.. but is that really reflective of what happened.
Sometimes when I think about admissions rates, selectivity, and yields, I'm never sure if cause and effect get confused.

This is my take on the historical trend:
-- Smart boomers & early early millennials, 1-1/2 to 2 generations ago, apply to ~6 schools: 2 Ivy-class, 2 good, 2 safety. Paper documentation is a pain to do even a half-dozen, and the guidance counselor counsels against making more work for him or her.
-- Computers happen, easy to apply to more schools, applications jump to 10? 12? for smart students or students with nervous parents
-- Good schools admit smaller fraction of applicants knowing higher fraction of admits who were reach-applicants will accept the best school they get in to
-- Yield becomes a better measure of selectivity
-- Some good schools may deny admission to overqualified admit suspecting they won't attend, so even the yield number can be tinkered with.

US News says 2020 admit rates for the eight Ivies was 7.6%. For all other national universities it was 68.3%, nine times as much. Early admissions applicants are admitted at an 18.1% rate vs. 55.1% for non-Ivy nationals. For most but not all Ivies, an early decision acceptance is bindjng, so there's no loss to other schools.

What happens at Cornell has a big impact on Ivy League admits because Cornell educates a quarter of the 15,000 students entering the Ivies each year and that will go up a bit higher when all the new North Campus dorms come online.

There are only two dozen schools that have a yield of 50% or better. Harvard is at 82% and Cornell is at 60%; the other Ivies are in between. A number of high-yield schools are religious and Gallaudet is for deaf and hearing-impaired. They are many, many more schools with yields of 10% or less. Quinnipiac is at 11%.

Harvard University (MA), 82%
Stanford University (CA), 82%
Brigham Young University—Provo (UT), 81%
University of Chicago, 81%
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77%
Harding University (AR), 71%
Princeton University (NJ), 70%
University of Pennsylvania, 70%
Yale University (CT), 69%
Dartmouth College (NH), 64%
Gallaudet University (DC), 63%
Columbia University (NY), 62%
Brown University (RI), 61%
Keiser University (FL), 61%
Yeshiva University (NY), 61%
Cornell University (NY), 60%
University of Notre Dame (IN), 58%
Georgia Southern University, 56%
University of Texas—Rio Grande Valley, 56%
Kennesaw State University (GA), 55%
Northwestern University (IL), 55%
Duke University (NC), 54%
William Carey University (MS), 50%

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login