Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Those Who Study History May Be Blessed to Repeat It

Posted by Trotsky 
Those Who Study History May Be Blessed to Repeat It
Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: March 09, 2022 01:16PM

Relocated from another thread:

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Most schools, somebody creates an alumni magazine story every decade on Gettysburg's Greatest Victories Ever. Ours might be the 10 Most Crushing Losses.

We can do wins, too.

Cornell 6 - Providence 5, OT. aka Randy Wilson Day.

A whole list to choose from.

My favorites:

1911 The First Championship.

1962 Laing Kennedy's Masterpiece.

1967 Ken Dryden's Masterpiece.

1970 Perfection.

1979 The Game.

1985 ECAC SF.

1996 ECAC Final.

2003 ECAC Final.

2009 ECAC SF.

2014 Fish & Fowl.

2020 The Senior Night that Wasn't.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2022 01:21PM by Trotsky.

Re: Those Who Study History May Be Blessed to Repeat It
Posted by: Chris 02 (163.116.146.---)
Date: March 09, 2022 03:21PM

[www.tbrw.info]

Broken links to :

Mar 11 2006 Longest Night at Lynah
Mar 25 2006 An NCAA Comeback
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2022 03:22PM by Chris 02.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2022 03:41PM

Trotsky
Relocated from another thread:

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Most schools, somebody creates an alumni magazine story every decade on Gettysburg's Greatest Victories Ever. Ours might be the 10 Most Crushing Losses.

We can do wins, too.

Cornell 6 - Providence 5, OT. aka Randy Wilson Day.

A whole list to choose from.

My favorites:

1911 The First Championship.

1962 Laing Kennedy's Masterpiece.

1967 Ken Dryden's Masterpiece.

1970 Perfection.

1979 The Game.

1985 ECAC SF.

1996 ECAC Final.

2003 ECAC Final.

2009 ECAC SF.

2014 Fish & Fowl.

2020 The Senior Night that Wasn't.

Malcolm Vail from the 1911 squad--I heard he had a nasty glove hand.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 05:31PM

scoop85
Malcolm Vail from the 1911 squad--I heard he had a nasty glove hand.
He took on Leeor Shtrom's great grandfather in an epic brawl.

WORLD STAR DAGUERREOTYPE!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2022 05:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 09, 2022 05:34PM

Chris 02
[www.tbrw.info]

Broken links to :

Mar 11 2006 Longest Night at Lynah
Mar 25 2006 An NCAA Comeback
Fixed. Thank you.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 06:19PM

Winter-spring 1971: Cornell all-time pugilist Kevin Pettit, like a fire hydrant (only one was taller) with boxing gloves, in overtime, shot from center ice beats Harvard 5-4. IIRC correctly, Pettit needed close to 20 PIM in his final game to break the Cornell record. And did. Three-year totals: 36-80-111--227 PIM vs. 126 points. That was the era when a very good player got 2 points a game.

That should be on a motivational poster. [despair.com]

[edit add:] Never mind. Pettit got the tying goal with :15 to play and assisted on the GWG. According to the Harvard Crimson, a source of unbiased news, Crimson caption Joe Cavanaugh scored an insurance goal with 3 minutes to play, waved off, and another Cantabrigian scored in OT, inexplicably waved off, before Jim Higgs scored from center ice. Assist to Pettit. Cavanaugh, a legend at Harvard (this was pre-Donato family), never in four three years beat Cornell. The Crimson notes in this 1985 story on Harvard's 10 best games that it happened a mere 2 days before Derek Bok was named as president.

I believe that was the year before the @Harvard game where fans tied a live chicken, between periods, to the net of goaltender Dave Elenbaas. Which led to Cornell's retaliation in kind with fish. Another example where people forget the feud but never the grudge.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2022 06:46PM by billhoward.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-174-208-36.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2022 06:36PM

billhoward
Winter-spring 1971: Cornell all-time pugilist Kevin Pettit, like a fire hydrant (only one was taller) with boxing gloves, in overtime, shot from center ice beats Harvard 5-4. IIRC correctly, Pettit needed close to 20 PIM in his final game to break the Cornell record. And did. Three-year totals: 36-80-111--227 PIM vs. 126 points. That was the era when a very good player got 2 points a game.

I recall an ECAC tournament when Pettit was injured. But seemed to come off the bench at key times to lift the team.

Does anyone else recall this. Can you provide more details? It WAS 50 years ago!

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 09, 2022 06:52PM

It was 50 years ago. I saw it from the press box. If you think Cornell's press box looks rickety today, well, it's palatial compared. Plus, you forget stuff. I coulda sworn it was Pettit who scored. But that's like somebody telling me, as an undergrad, about Gil Dobie's 8-0 football team, and they were there. Cornell football, 8 and oh? Right.

The most enduring memory from Lynah then was Cornell's 62 game home winning streak ending in a narrow 9-0, I believe was the score, decision against BU.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 07:15PM

billhoward
The most enduring memory from Lynah then was Cornell's 62 game home winning streak ending in a narrow 9-0, I believe was the score, decision against BU.
Later forfeited to Cornell.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 07:36PM

On February 2, 1972, Clarkson defeats the Big Red, 4-2, at Lynah Rink, snapping Cornell's 63-game home winning streak, a record that still stands as the longest home winning streak in NCAA history.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-174-208-36.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2022 08:11PM

billhoward
It was 50 years ago. I saw it from the press box. If you think Cornell's press box looks rickety today, well, it's palatial compared. Plus, you forget stuff. I coulda sworn it was Pettit who scored. But that's like somebody telling me, as an undergrad, about Gil Dobie's 8-0 football team, and they were there. Cornell football, 8 and oh? Right.

That 9-0 game was one that I'll never forget. I had a date with a good looking gal. She stood me up! I went to Lynah suffered through the 9-0 loss, which was the first time, in 6 years, that I had ever seen Cornell lose a game. After the game, I got a speeding ticket!! I guess one could call this a hat trick for me. I felt like I was a fire hydrant and the was all dogs!!

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 09, 2022 09:05PM

Was this, 9-0 loss at home to BU, about the time you started to think, this sucks, did Harkness think about who else could continue the legacy?

An alt choice in 1970 would have been the Clarkson coach he defeated for the NCAA title, Len Ceglarski, who went on to became the NCAA's winningest coach. Maybe Cornell did look at Ceglarski, early 40s at the time, but he was a BC grad who returned to BC in 1972 when BC's Snooks Kelley (1933-1972) called it a day. Maybe Ceglarksi said, "I want to wait ... Kelley told me, give me two more years." For all his wins, he never got the NCAA trophy. Three runners-up.

Maybe BC was offering Ceglarski the promise of more money than Cornell. Speaking of money, John Tillman '91, head coach at Maryland (lacrosse) has his salary listed at $341,000. Sheesh. Maybe it's the cost of living differential over living in, wait, Cambridge.

Date: March 09, 2022 09:23PM

billhoward
Was this, 9-0 loss at home to BU, about the time you started to think, this sucks, did Harkness think about who else could continue the legacy?

"Dick Bertrand before he dicks you."

Date: March 09, 2022 09:25PM

We don't know if Ceglarski could have succeeded without scholarships, but my goodness what a run of great coaching that would have been. Ceglarski coached until 1992.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 09:32PM

billhoward

[edit add:] Never mind. Pettit got the tying goal with :15 to play and assisted on the GWG. According to the Harvard Crimson, a source of unbiased news, Crimson caption Joe Cavanaugh scored an insurance goal with 3 minutes to play, waved off, and another Cantabrigian scored in OT, inexplicably waved off, before Jim Higgs scored from center ice. Assist to Pettit. Cavanaugh, a legend at Harvard (this was pre-Donato family), never in four three years beat Cornell. The Crimson notes in this 1985 story on Harvard's 10 best games that it happened a mere 2 days before Derek Bok was named as president.
Higgs's overtime goal was short-handed. Giles Threadgold, who was by far the best ref in the ECAC, had called the penalty (I don't remember on whom). That goal was also not from center ice as stated above, but approaching the top of the face-off circle, to the left of the Harvard goalie (Bruce Durno I think) in the east goal.
Overtime was 10 minutes in those days. Pettit's tying goal was a deflection right in front of the net of a Ron Simpson slapshot. That Harvard team had two great lines, seniors Owen-Cavanagh-DeMichele and sophs Corkery-Hynes-McManama. I was sitting right beside the Cornell bench at that game.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2022 11:57PM

The nice thing about this thread is that it makes 60 year old me feel young.

Date: March 10, 2022 04:30AM

nshapiro
You are.

Date: March 10, 2022 06:13AM

Al DeFlorio
nshapiro
You are.

Wins thread.

Date: March 10, 2022 06:32AM

Trotsky
We don't know if Ceglarski could have succeeded without scholarships, but my goodness what a run of great coaching that would have been. Ceglarski coached until 1992.
Succeeded at Clarkson by Jerry York, also BC grad, who then took over over from Ceglarski at BC in the 1990s (15-year stop in between at Bowling Green), now 76 (same age as Coach K), 1100+ victories, 5 NCAA titles.

Those two also coached without international players for the most part. BC has been all American (decades back) and even now, this year, the roster shows just 3 from Canada.

Date: March 10, 2022 08:28AM

billhoward
Trotsky
Succeeded at Clarkson by Jerry York, also BC grad, who then took over over from Ceglarski at BC in the 1990s (15-year stop in between at Bowling Green), now 76 (same age as Coach K), 1100+ victories, 5 NCAA titles.

Those two also coached without international players for the most part. BC has been all American (decades back) and even now, this year, the roster shows just 3 from Canada.
Helps that the Boston area has terrific high school hockey and is very Catholic.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2022 12:14PM

billhoward
Trotsky

Actually, York didn't take over from Ceglarski ... He was passed over in favor of the illustrious Steve Cedorchuk, whose rein ended badly. It didn't start too well either. ... That was followed by the equally disastrous tenure of Mike Milbury, who didn't even last until the start of the season when he decided to quit because of realizing how disastrous Cedorchuk left things.

BC finally decided to get it right -- 3rd time's a charm -- in 1994 with the hiring of York. The rest is history.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2022 12:14PM by adamw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login