Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Quinnipiac Fri 2/25/22

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell @ Quinnipiac Fri 2/25/22
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 05:14PM

Our annual game at the university that named its school of broadcasting after Ed McMahon, who give a bunch of money then went broke. Also against the ECAC school that stands the best chance of skating off with the NCAA trophy in April. The most important odds are the over/under: Half the student body will have decamped for parties by ... the under-10 ice cleaning of the second period.

Re: Cornell @ Quinnipiac Fri 2/25/22
Posted by: toddlose (---.sub-174-240-194.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:05PM

billhoward
Our annual game at the university that named its school of broadcasting after Ed McMahon, who give a bunch of money then went broke. Also against the ECAC school that stands the best chance of skating off with the NCAA trophy in April. The most important odds are the over/under: Half the student body will have decamped for parties by ... the under-10 ice cleaning of the second period.

They will not win an ncaa trophy. Not this year. Fuck them.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:19PM

Good lord. Did we just find our goalie for the next 3 years? That may have been the best goaltending performance since …. I don’t even know?

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:21PM

The Q Team once again demonstrates they have as much class as their coach

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:22PM

Ho hum, another top 10 win

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:24PM

Ian Shane, wow wow wow. This kid is becoming the real deal.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:24PM

semsox

Great to get the win, but man were we allergic to the puck the last half of that game. Shane stole one for sure.

Date: February 25, 2022 09:28PM

Top 3 teams in the league all lost in regulation. Could be a wild ECAC tourney!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:29PM

scoop85
semsox

Great to get the win, but man were we allergic to the puck the last half of that game. Shane stole one for sure.

In the 3rd Cornell didn't even pretend to forecheck. Defensive shell 101.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:33PM

marty
scoop85
semsox

In the 3rd Cornell didn't even pretend to forecheck. Defensive shell 101.
I didn’t see Cornell doing anything particularly wrong on the forecheck, I just think Q is too good a possession team. Cornell played well defensively. Q had no good passing or shooting lanes for almost the entire game. Shane was incredibly solid and made some nice saves, but the defense made it so that he didn’t have to make too many highlight reel ones. Great effort tonight.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:39PM

this season lol

Posted by: dbilmes (38.126.101.---)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:39PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the professionalism of the Q announcers on ESPN Plus. Perhaps it was because he was a former assistant at Q, but Ben Seyer's name was mentioned more during this broadcast than at most of the other road games since he has been in charge of the team.
Does anyone know the meaning of the sign a Q student was holding which said: Cornell, oldest joke in hockey.
I'm sure Q would love a shot at us in the ECACs. If they get their wish, hopefully it will be in the semis and not in the quarterfinals.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:43PM

cornells big problem is just unforced mistakes.. skating out with pressure we dont try to clear.. clear with little pressure we throw it in bad spots.. we had 3-4-5 chances down the stretch to clear with the goalie out and never got close to the line,

in the first couple periods we had half a dozen pass to the pt lead to scary stretched the other way.

we just lack that 1 guy who scares other teams. no one worries about pressing up and they adds more stress to the D.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 09:44PM

dbilmes
I was pleasantly surprised by the professionalism of the Q announcers on ESPN Plus. Perhaps it was because he was a former assistant at Q, but Ben Seyer's name was mentioned more during this broadcast than at most of the other road games since he has been in charge of the team.
Does anyone know the meaning of the sign a Q student was holding which said: Cornell, oldest joke in hockey.
I'm sure Q would love a shot at us in the ECACs. If they get their wish, hopefully it will be in the semis and not in the quarterfinals.

We clinched at least 5th tonight, and they can’t finish lower than 2nd. It can’t be in the QF.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:03PM

RichH
We clinched at least 5th tonight, and they can’t finish lower than 2nd. It can’t be in the QF.
If we finish 4th where we are now I believe, and Q finishes first, where they are, and higher-seeded teams win out in all the intermediate playoff games, wouldn't Friday at LP be be 1-4 at 4 pm and 2-3 at 7:30 and we meet Q again?

We could avoid miss playing Q on Friday only if there's a 6-12 upset in the quarterfinal weekend so a 6-12 seed makes Lake Placid, because they reseed for LP as well, I believe, and Q gets the low survivor Friday?

Edit add: You said QF and I wrote about the SF. None of the 1-2-3-4 seeds play each other in the QFs.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2022 10:21PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-243-112.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 10:04PM

dbilmes

I just assumed Q students weren't bright enough to think of jokes that made sense.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2022 10:09PM

dbilmes

I thought the kid holding the sign looked about 10 years old, but I guess that wouldn’t disqualify him from being a Q student.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 25, 2022 10:15PM

billhoward
RichH
If we finish 4th where we are now I believe, and Q finishes first, where they are, and higher-seeded teams win out in all the intermediate playoff games, wouldn't Friday at LP be be 1-4 at 4 pm and 2-3 at 7:30 and we meet Q again?

We could avoid miss playing Q on Friday only if there's a 6-12 upset in the quarterfinal weekend so a 6-12 seed makes Lake Placid, because they reseed for LP as well, I believe, and Q gets the low survivor Friday?

No Quarter finals have 4 games not 2, so seeds 1, 2, 3, and, 4 will all play in separate quarter final games. If we end up 5th, then then we would play 4 in the quarter finals because we would be the best seed other than 1 through 4. Earliest we can meet them is in the semifinals

Edit: nvm i completely misread ur post
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2022 10:17PM by Dunc.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:17PM

dbilmes
I take it Q now has an senior-honors English program that includes "use of irony in contemporary fiction and signage."

Please don't ask why I took a photo of this. It just happened.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:19PM

scoop85
dbilmes

I thought the kid holding the sign looked about 10 years old, but I guess that wouldn’t disqualify him from being a Q student.
If the kid is 10, they're getting more vitamins these days.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:26PM

scoop85
dbilmes

The little 60-second video of Q fans getting ready for the Yale game was pretty well done for in-house PR and the students look both wholesome and not all country-club white.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 10:43PM

billhoward
scoop85
dbilmes

The little 60-second video of Q fans getting ready for the Yale game was pretty well done for in-house PR and the students look both wholesome and not all country-club white.

I liked the jewel-studded masks on the cheerleaders. If everyone had those from the beginning then the pandemic would have ended a long time ago as everyone would want to strut that bling.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 11:02PM

i like how the guy holding up the sign told you how many pucks we'd need to get past perets to win

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2022 11:15PM

CU2007

Clarkson lost to Yale in OT, so they got a point. If I'm reading it right, that means they can still catch Q, since they're only 3 points back and hold the tiebreaker.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 25, 2022 11:34PM

yeah too bad princ didnt hold on for the OT.

we got 4 shots for 4th win/get to ot/colg loses/colg goes to OT

Date: February 25, 2022 11:38PM

strange season to never trail Quin or Clark and trailed Harv for only last 4 min and 7 min of per 2 and then struggle so much against the bottom teams..

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 12:01AM

Shane played his best game of the season with a shutout on 42 shots. He seems to have adjusted his game and isn't moving out of the crease as much to challenge potential shooters. I think that helped him a lot tonight.

It seemed that Q was trying to harass Shane after he had made about 20 stops. At one point in the second period, Bongiovanni needlessly skated right through the crease, behind Shane. Later in the game, Shane had to make a Scrivens move and pull a Q skater out of the crease with his glove. Then of course there was the check with 11 seconds to go. Was that accidental? I doubt it. I think the Q skater could have avoided that.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 12:15AM by ice.

Date: February 26, 2022 12:04AM

jtwcornell91
CU2007

Clarkson lost to Yale in OT, so they got a point. If I'm reading it right, that means they can still catch Q, since they're only 3 points back and hold the tiebreaker.

Good catch, the app didn’t feel the need to specify that the game went to OT which is pretty imprtant these days

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 12:10AM

Q is not the Q of a few years ago. It used to be that they buzzed around a lot and took 60+ wild shots per game. This year's team has some heavy hitters. They also have some cheaters. During the second period, a Big Red player lost his stick while he was in the Cornell defensive zone. A Q player cleared the stick away into center ice to make it hard for the Cornell player to retrieve it. About a minute later, a second Cornell player lost his stick and the same thing happened so that two Cornell players didn't have their sticks. I have never seen that in a hockey game before. The ref called the second stick clearer (Brendan Less) for a 2 minute interference penalty.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 12:12AM by ice.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 01:03AM

ice
Shane played his best game of the season with a shutout on 42 shots. He seems to have adjusted his game and isn't moving out of the crease as much to challenge potential shooters. I think that helped him a lot tonight.

It seemed that Q was trying to harass Shane after he had made about 20 stops. At one point in the second period, Bongiovanni needlessly skated right through the crease, behind Shane. Later in the game, Shane had to make a Scrivens move and pull a Q skater out of the crease with his glove. Then of course there was the check with 11 seconds to go. Was that accidental? I doubt it. I think the Q skater could have avoided that.

I agree that he played his best game, but he’s seemed to have improved the past few games he’s played. Maybe it’s the system, and maybe it’s the coaching. We’re not called “Goaltender U” for nothin.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2022 01:06AM

ice
A Q player cleared the stick away into center ice to make it hard for the Cornell player to retrieve it. About a minute later, a second Cornell player lost his stick and the same thing happened so that two Cornell players didn't have their sticks. I have never seen that in a hockey game before. The ref called the second stick clearer (Brendan Less) for a 2 minute interference penalty.

In a recent game at Lynah--perhaps the St. Lawrence game--Ian Shane had lost his stick in some action around the goal, and his stick was moved well out of the crease, presumably by an opposing player. Play continued, and several seconds later he wound up stopping a shot with his chest, but the rebound was put in. I wondered about whether the intentional moving of the dropped goalie stick away from the goalie could have been penalized, and tonight I learned that apparently it could have been. Of course I couldn't actually see how the stick got moved well out of the crease, so it could have been unintentionally kicked, or at least if an opposing player did kick it he may have had plausible deniability. I may have to go looking for the replay of that tomorrow.

Edit: I didn't have to search very hard. It's in the highlights: [youtu.be]

The St. Lawrence player does skate the stick away from Shane, but one could argue, I suppose, that he didn't do it on purpose.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 01:27AM by andyw2100.

Date: February 26, 2022 08:51AM

ice
Q is not the Q of a few years ago. It used to be that they buzzed around a lot and took 60+ wild shots per game. This year's team has some heavy hitters. They also have some cheaters. During the second period, a Big Red player lost his stick while he was in the Cornell defensive zone. A Q player cleared the stick away into center ice to make it hard for the Cornell player to retrieve it. About a minute later, a second Cornell player lost his stick and the same thing happened so that two Cornell players didn't have their sticks. I have never seen that in a hockey game before. The ref called the second stick clearer (Brendan Less) for a 2 minute interference penalty.
42 is still a lot of shots…not many of them were wild, but a lot of them were from the point. Q was clearly the better team, but Cornell kept them to the outside and cut off the cross-ice pass. Shane did the rest. Cornell also broke out of their own zone more successfully than it has this year. I thought this was a solid performance despite the huge shot disparity. This team has really bought into the program’s defensive philosophy. The offense hasn’t been there lately. Hard to tell how much of that is talent and how much is the players not having much college hockey experience. The fast and skilled guys like Ertel and Mack are seeing much less open space than they saw in junior hockey and they need to find ways to adjust.

Date: February 26, 2022 09:07AM

Seeing the way Q has played since it came on as a top program in 2013, as well as the way the professional game has changed, it seems the key to a team’s offense is how offensively skilled the defensemen are. You really want all D-men to be able to carry the puck up ice, create offense from the point, and join the rush. Big, plodding shut-down D-men are just too much of a liability on offense.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 09:12AM by BearLover.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 12:12PM

BearLover
ice
Cornell also broke out of their own zone more successfully than it has this year.
Right after we scored, this thought went through my head: “Man, I hope we can break out well tonight. With the No-Change rule, we can’t just ice the puck for 2.5 periods the way we did in the 1996 ECAC final.”

Fortunately, the kids wer all right.

Posted by: dbilmes (38.126.101.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 01:05PM

Quinnipiac student paper did a good job getting an article up quickly about the game. Quote from Pecknold:
“I thought our guys played really well. Perets was great again. We played great. That was really one of our better games of the year. We just couldn’t score.”

Posted by: ACM (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2022 07:23PM

Guess there was a massive bookkeeping exercise at the end of last night's game. Minors and miscoducts against everyone on the ice. What I once referred to as "a whole mess of penalties".

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2022 07:37PM

ACM
Guess there was a massive bookkeeping exercise at the end of last night's game. Minors and miscoducts against everyone on the ice. What I once referred to as "a whole mess of penalties".

Yes, but they missed Quinnipiac's extra skater. Five skaters on each team got 2 minutes for roughing and 10 minute minors. So 60 minutes per team. But nothing for Quinnipiac's extra attacker!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 07:45PM by andyw2100.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2022 07:40PM

andyw2100
ACM

Yes, but they missed Quinnipiacc's extra skater. Five skaters on each team got 2 minutes for roughing and 10 minute minors. So 60 minutes per team. But nothing for Quinnipiac's extra attacker!

Maybe he couldn't find a dance partner.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 10:45PM

ACM
Was that the Damian Rocke game?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2022 05:07AM

Robb
ACM
Damian Rocke was a road game.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2022 06:32AM

Robb
ACM

Leeor Shtrom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login