Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell at Union, 2/12/22

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell at Union, 2/12/22
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 06:34PM

Suda and Motley in; O'Leary and Dirven out. My homey Nate in net.

Re: Cornell at Union, 2/12/22
Date: February 12, 2022 07:06PM

Not sure if Union is limiting attendance but the crowd looks pretty good with decent Cornell presence.

Date: February 12, 2022 07:12PM

Union scores off a scrum in front, 0-1 just 6 minutes in.

Date: February 12, 2022 07:21PM

Excellent penalty kill for the Red, maybe we can build off that.

Date: February 12, 2022 07:26PM

Union outshooting us 10-3 late in the first.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 07:41PM

They are moving the puck well and getting good shots. Just need to get a little luckier here.

Date: February 12, 2022 07:45PM

Very good powerplay at the end. They went from down 13-5 shots to 13-11.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 07:48PM

Color Man
Cornell is a veteran team, so...

Yeah, right!

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 07:56PM

Sweet!

Date: February 12, 2022 08:11PM

Colgate leading RPI. We can get well in a hurry tonight.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 08:17PM

It’s turned into a real gongshow in schenectady

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-70.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 08:25PM

If you can't get a review in two minutes, call on the ice stands. Let's play hockey.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 08:43PM

It's been amazing how many near misses we've had over this winless streak where either the puck hits the post/crossbar or we can't put it in an open net. No puck luck at all.

Date: February 12, 2022 08:46PM

dbilmes
It's been amazing how many near misses we've had over this winless streak where either the puck hits the post/crossbar or we can't put it in an open net. No puck luck at all.
Though our opponents have also missed a lot of open nets.

Date: February 12, 2022 08:53PM

Betts' second, 2-1 Cornell.

Date: February 12, 2022 09:05PM

Well, this has been a great span of play. 3-1, 10 mins to play.

Date: February 12, 2022 09:18PM

3 even strength goals in one period. Huh.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-70.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 09:25PM

We won a game!

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 09:25PM

Deserved that one and it was much needed.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 09:26PM

union didn't look all that good so it was nice to beat them.

apropos of nothing but the late ping, i can't believe that sullivan mack can't buy a goal. he seems to constantly come close.

Date: February 12, 2022 09:38PM

CU2007
Deserved that one and it was much needed.
Huzzah!

Date: February 12, 2022 09:49PM

Win 3 of the final 4 RS and we get the bye.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 09:55PM

Good win, but once again, I think our goalies need to be more aware, use their stick more aggressively, and guard the crease better. I think Galajda would have sticked away one or both of the Union goals before the Union player touched the puck.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: February 12, 2022 10:32PM

Trotsky

You are assuming that Colgate doesn't win out?

Posted by: rickylipsey (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 10:48PM

Love all of the heartfelt chatter in these game logs, but let's face facts: Cornell is just not that good. The scores don't lie. Wins and losses are how teams are judged. Winning teams make good breaks and good luck fall their way; losing teams the opposite, No very good team loses and ties a slew of bottom-dwelling teams for weeks on end. A few years ago, Princeton had one of their usual poor regular seasons, then turned on the jets in the playoffs and won the ECACs. That will be Cornell's only chance this year.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 10:54PM

rickylipsey
Love all of the heartfelt chatter in these game logs, but let's face facts: Cornell is just not that good. The scores don't lie. Wins and losses are how teams are judged. Winning teams make good breaks and good luck fall their way; losing teams the opposite, No very good team loses and ties a slew of bottom-dwelling teams for weeks on end. A few years ago, Princeton had one of their usual poor regular seasons, then turned on the jets in the playoffs and won the ECACs. That will be Cornell's only chance this year.

As Bill Parcells once said: You are what your record says you are. I agree.
Now, let's hope for a run through the playoffs.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-247.myvzw.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 11:20PM

redice
rickylipsey

But our record is good. It's not great. But we're 10-7 in regulation with 8 games going to OT (let's just call those ties). That's nothing to get super pumped about, but it certainly falls on the good side of things.

Everyone's mad because we hit a skid. Doesn't mean it's been a bad year overall.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2022 11:58PM

Dafatone
redice
rickylipsey

But our record is good. It's not great. But we're 10-7 in regulation with 8 games going to OT (let's just call those ties). That's nothing to get super pumped about, but it certainly falls on the good side of things.

Everyone's mad because we hit a skid. Doesn't mean it's been a bad year overall.

True... But it does mean that we have been bad in that recent stretch (until the Saturday game).

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2022 11:58PM

When Union was a national contender -- beat Minnesota in 2014 for the NCAA title -- those 2,225 seats were not nearly enough. Eight years later, regression to mean streets for the Dutchmen.

Date: February 13, 2022 12:04AM

Trotsky
Of which two RS games are Clarkson and Quinnipiac. Regardless, to make the NCAA tournament, we probably have to win the ECAC title, so we have to take down Q someplace. Whether we're 4 or 5, unless a 10-11-12 seed wins in the quarterfinals (and they reseed, yes?), we play Quinnipiac in the early game Friday. Q knows they get an NCAA berth.
CAA

Date: February 13, 2022 03:03AM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Nope, I didn't see that Colgate has a game at hand. So our magic number for points is actually 12, you are right.

Date: February 13, 2022 03:15AM

rickylipsey
Welcome to the forum.

The crown jewel of every season (IMO) is winning the ECACs so I would say that taking the title in Lake Placid is the season. The NC$$ is a nice treat afterwards, but it's almost like exhibition games. Wildly fun to win, but dénouement.

Cornell has beaten Q and should have beaten Clarkson -- they can hold their own against the conference's royalty, at least over SSS. So like every year my attention is fixed on the ECACs to cap the season. Win that and this goes down as an A plus.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2022 03:17AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 13, 2022 08:21AM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

Nope, I didn't see that Colgate has a game at hand. So our magic number for points is actually 12, you are right.

It’s a reasonable bet, however. I’d be willing to put (meager) money on Colgate losing at least one of those games.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2022 08:39AM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky

It’s a reasonable bet, however. I’d be willing to put (meager) money on Colgate losing at least one of those games.

Colgate has to play Clarkson and Q too, so no way they win all 4

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2022 08:43AM

Trotsky
rickylipsey
Welcome to the forum.

The crown jewel of every season (IMO) is winning the ECACs so I would say that taking the title in Lake Placid is the season. The NC$$ is a nice treat afterwards, but it's almost like exhibition games. Wildly fun to win, but dénouement.

Cornell has beaten Q and should have beaten Clarkson -- they can hold their own against the conference's royalty, at least over SSS. So like every year my attention is fixed on the ECACs to cap the season. Win that and this goes down as an A plus.

You keep saying this but I’m not sure everyone agrees. After watching Yale and Union win national championships, winning the national championship is very much on the radar

Date: February 13, 2022 10:04AM

CU2007
Trotsky
rickylipsey
Welcome to the forum.

You keep saying this but I’m not sure everyone agrees. After watching Yale and Union win national championships, winning the national championship is very much on the radar
This is one of those takes that, were I to express it, half the forum would call for me to be banned, flayed, exiled to the Fighting Sioux forum, etc. I don’t think anyone here besides Trotsky believes it.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 13, 2022 10:22AM

Cornell plays RPI and outshoots tham 41-19 and loses 6-2 Colgate plays them outshoots them 31-24 and wins 3-2.

Its a funny game sometimes. colgate has been outshot 3-4 times in this stretch and has won them all. we are the opposite lately.

Not to say all shots are equal in quality.

Posted by: osorojo (97.104.222.---)
Date: February 13, 2022 10:47AM

Cornell's hockey players are not lacking talent. That leaves game strategy and motivation to explain their peculiar win/loss history.

Date: February 13, 2022 10:51AM

BearLover
CU2007
Trotsky

This is one of those takes that, were I to express it, half the forum would call for me to be banned, flayed, exiled to the Fighting Sioux forum, etc. I don’t think anyone here besides Trotsky believes it.

I do. NCAA success would be enormously sweet icing on any particular great season, but I far more enjoy and get personally invested in continued dominance over our peeps. In the NCAAs, whatever happens happens.

Seeing how dominant we were in 2003 and yet how a couple of bad bounces could end and then did end a wonderful season on a somewhat sour note taught me to have reasonable expectations. If, however, we continue to be dominant in the ECACs, another NCAA championship will happen in the fullness of time, as it did for Yale when they had almost stopped looking for it and as it did for that dominant Union team. I may not be around for it, but eventually the thousand celestial monkeys banging out the ticker tape of fate will hit upon our name.

Date: February 13, 2022 11:02AM

Scersk '97
BearLover
CU2007
Trotsky

I do. NCAA success would be enormously sweet icing on any particular great season, but I far more enjoy and get personally invested in continued dominance over our peeps. In the NCAAs, whatever happens happens.

Seeing how dominant we were in 2003 and yet how a couple of bad bounces could end and then did end a wonderful season on a somewhat sour note taught me to have reasonable expectations. If, however, we continue to be dominant in the ECACs, another NCAA championship will happen in the fullness of time, as it did for Yale when they had almost stopped looking for it and as it did for that dominant Union team. I may not be around for it, but eventually the thousand celestial monkeys banging out the ticker tape of fate will hit upon our name.
Bad bounces and bad luck happen just as often in the ECAC, though. In 2019, Galajda got trapped in the net and the refs didn’t stop play—end result, Galajda was lost for the remainder of the season. Then, minutes later, the refs missed an offsides call against Clarkson, which scored the OT winner against Austin McGrath to win the ECAC title.

The difference between NCAA and ECAC is that Cornell has shown time and again over the past 25 years that it is an elite ECAC team, winning the tournament as much as anyone else. It has *not* achieved the same at the NCAA tournament. It has racked up ECAC trophies but an NCAA title eludes it. Meanwhile, two of our rivals have won the NCAA. An ECAC title is probably about 10 times more likely in a given season, but an NCAA title would be 10 times as sweet.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2022 11:23AM

BearLover
Scersk '97
BearLover
CU2007
Trotsky

Bad bounces and bad luck happen just as often in the ECAC, though. In 2019, Galajda got trapped in the net and the refs didn’t stop play—end result, Galajda was lost for the remainder of the season. Then, minutes later, the refs missed an offsides call against Clarkson, which scored the OT winner against Austin McGrath to win the ECAC title.

The difference between NCAA and ECAC is that Cornell has shown time and again over the past 25 years that it is an elite ECAC team, winning the tournament as much as anyone else. It has *not* achieved the same at the NCAA tournament. It has racked up ECAC trophies but an NCAA title eludes it. Meanwhile, two of our rivals have won the NCAA. An ECAC title is probably about 10 times more likely in a given season, but an NCAA title would be 10 times as sweet.
I think of the Cleary and the Whitelaw and the NCAA as separate achievements, unrelated to each other but all significant goals.

Winning the regular season title matters - it's the reward for months of watching weekends of winning hockey. Easy to make fun of when a team other than Cornell wins it and blows the tournament, but a valid achievement on its own.

Winning the ECAC tournament matters, and not just as a ticket-punching exercise. A genuine, independent goal. These are the teams we are most familiar with, we want to beat them, we want to see the kids toss their equipment in the air and rush the goalie at the end of the game.

The NCAA tournament absolutely matters. Are we an elite program or are we just a big fish in a small pond? If we are serious about our self-image as a top program, getting the '67 and '70 teams back in the building to see another banner go up before they all die isn't just the cherry on the sundae. Cornell has had good enough teams to win it all. That's the ultimate prize.

Date: February 13, 2022 12:09PM

ugarte
BearLover
Scersk '97

I think of the Cleary and the Whitelaw and the NCAA as separate achievements, unrelated to each other but all significant goals.

Winning the regular season title matters - it's the reward for months of watching weekends of winning hockey. Easy to make fun of when a team other than Cornell wins it and blows the tournament, but a valid achievement on its own.

Winning the ECAC tournament matters, and not just as a ticket-punching exercise. A genuine, independent goal. These are the teams we are most familiar with, we want to beat them, we want to see the kids toss their equipment in the air and rush the goalie at the end of the game.

The NCAA tournament absolutely matters. Are we an elite program or are we just a big fish in a small pond? If we are serious about our self-image as a top program, getting the '67 and '70 teams back in the building to see another banner go up before they all die isn't just the cherry on the sundae. Cornell has had good enough teams to win it all. That's the ultimate prize.

I was there for that unfortunate series of events in 2019. Jeff Malott's freak injury was another big blow. Just somehow not our year, and losses in Lake Placid are crushing.

Yet, within the ECAC, I expect us to be so dominant that we can overcome just about anything. I also believe in our ECAC tournament magic, although that's being stretched thin these days. We are never going to be that dominant in the wider NCAA; in fact, I would say no team can be and that's part of the attraction of college hockey right now. We need a bit of puck luck, as does everyone else.

I suppose it's just a matter of emphasis. You both might rank things (1) NCAAs, (2) Whitelaw, (3) Cleary; I rank them (1) Whitelaw, (2) NCAAs, (3) Cleary.

For me—as a fan—it is a matter of atmosphere: the ECAC tournament, particularly now that we are back in Lake Placid, is a great time; the NCAA fan experience continues to degrade into NHL-lite, with far too little emphasis on current student involvement and the uniqueness of the college hockey atmosphere. Not the particular displeasure of attending games at Quinnipiac's rink yet, but getting there. Too much $$$; not enough old-timey fun.

For the boys, I'm sure it all matters, and I'm sure they want to keep playing as long as they can every year. I hope they can look back fondly at some point on seasons that end without a national championship. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I'm starting to be able to believe that it's the process that counts and remains.

Date: February 13, 2022 02:56PM

ugarte
BearLover
Scersk '97
BearLover
CU2007
Trotsky

I understand and respect people who feel this way, I just feel differently. Quite likely because during my first three undergrad years we did not even make the ECAC tournament, for me Boston Garden / Lake Placid / Miscellaneous Silly Locations will always be the capstone. We each beat off to a different thing.

Date: February 13, 2022 04:58PM

Union (not RPI) anthem singer front, Cornell fans visible behind.

Union announcers well into the first period used the same line Cornell broadcast people have been using at Lynah: "Fans seem to be a little slow filing in tonight."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 02:26PM by billhoward.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2022 11:25PM

billhoward
RPI anthem singer front, Cornell fans visible behind.

RPI announcers well into the first period used the same line Cornell broadcast people have been using at Lynah: "Fans seem to be a little slow filing in tonight."

Feel like I should correct you: it’s Union.

Posted by: osorojo (97.104.222.---)
Date: February 14, 2022 04:34PM

I attended my first Cornell Men's Varsity hockey game over 60 years ago - still follow and still hope . . . I can't remember a single C.U.M.V.H team which evinced such wildly different efforts and results as this year's team. Have you?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 04:35PM by osorojo.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 12:10AM

osorojo
I attended my first Cornell Men's Varsity hockey game over 60 years ago - still follow and still hope . . . I can't remember a single C.U.M.V.H team which evinced such wildly different efforts and results as this year's team. Have you?

Isn't being erratic a common characteristic of a young team?

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2022 12:06AM

Swampy
osorojo

The 1979-1980 season was very up and down and the team ended up at the FF.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2022 09:17AM

ice
Swampy
osorojo

The 1979-1980 season was very up and down and the team ended up at the FF.

But what a wonderful ECAC and close to NCAA Championship game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login