Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dartmouth Game Thread

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Dartmouth Game Thread
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-244-113.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:53PM

Not taking any chances!

Re: Dartmouth Game Thread
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 23, 2022 01:24PM

the notes say the 2 harvard kids are meeting with the US team a few days before they leave to go to China.. They leave the US around the 3rd.. So odds are they play against us unless the team really wants to get more than a couple practices in

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 12:00AM

upprdeck
the notes say the 2 harvard kids are meeting with the US team a few days before they leave to go to China.. They leave the US around the 3rd.. So odds are they play against us unless the team really wants to get more than a couple practices in

Isn't there any type of pre-travel quarrantine period for the olympians before going over to China in order to ensure a negative covid test? I know the olympians will be essentially in an air tight bubble once in china...

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 08:22AM

Rita
Isn't there any type of pre-travel quarrantine period for the olympians before going over to China in order to ensure a negative covid test? I know the olympians will be essentially in an air tight bubble once in china...
Are you asking, "You mean the rules apply to Harvard?"

Date: January 24, 2022 09:09AM

Rita
upprdeck

found this the notes for the teams

During the fourteen days prior to your departure for China, try to avoid travel, wear a
Face Mask when you aren’t sleeping, eating, drinking, or exercising, make every effort to
physically distance at least 6 feet from other people and keep your physical contact with
other people to a minimum.

then this

The second test
should be performed within 72 hours of departure by a testing provider approved
by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in the US departure city.

there is 21 day quarantine rule as well if you dont get exempted.

one would think playing in practice and games a few days out from leaving would not be advised but probably not prohibited.

Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2022 03:03AM

Dartmouth plays Union two days before they come to Ithaca.

Harvard plays RPI on 1/25/2022.

Date: January 25, 2022 06:27PM

So CU made no changes to ticket policies.. when was the last time a harvard game had less than 50% filled seats?

Date: January 25, 2022 10:23PM

upprdeck
So CU made no changes to ticket policies.. when was the last time a harvard game had less than 50% filled seats?
There's a Crimson fan board [yeah, oxymoron] probably asking when a Cornell game at Landry-Bright Center had more than 50%. I didn't realize it had 3,095 seats. Thought it was more like 2500.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 06:33PM

Stienberg back, Berard still in the lineup, only Andreev out.

Date: January 28, 2022 06:36PM

Mike is still out. That's 4 weekends.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 06:51PM

Trotsky
Very worrisome.

Date: January 28, 2022 06:55PM

upprdeck
My guess is 1960-61. Typical attendance that season still seems very low. In 1961-62 Laing Kennedy backstopped us to our big coming out victory over Harvard in front of 4200, IINM our first sellout.

Date: January 28, 2022 06:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Very worrisome.
It aint good. Only good news is I haven't heard anything really scary from the backchannel so hopefully it's minor and they are being careful with protocol.

I mean I assume he's triple-vaxxed.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 06:57PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 07:21PM

Trotsky

When Schafer’s game notes from last weekend were posted earlier on the CHA website earlier this week week, they included a comment to the effect (I’m paraphrasing) “I’ve had a rough go with COVID, you should try to avoid it.” FWIW that comment is no longer there.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:25PM

Even behind we're looking good so far.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:30PM

Nice shift by Stienberg there. He looks better tonight.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:37PM

Every time an announcer says “twig,” a puppy dies. So far, not today, I believe. I hope.

Resurrection is possible, if they immediately say Quinni-PEE-yak.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: January 28, 2022 07:41PM

Stienburg does look full speed and is going Stienburg things.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:50PM

That's the second period where Syer paired Kempf-Haiskenan to start even though that is not the pair during the rest of the period.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:56PM

Ondrej the Giant is becoming my favorite penalty killer.

Date: January 28, 2022 07:58PM

Andreev hustles, O'Leary is fast, and Mack is quick, but Ertel hustles, is fast, and is quick.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:03PM

We’re halfway through the game. What does AWS stats say about the odds it ends up 1–0?

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 08:06PM

get pucks to the net and good things happen

Date: January 28, 2022 08:06PM

billhoward
We’re halfway through the game. What does AWS stats say about the odds it ends up 1–0?
Now. Zero.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:07PM

ugarte
get pucks to the net and good things happen
Tale as old as time.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 08:11PM

New coach. Same aggravating Dartmouth team.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:22PM

I think maybe the shots are broken, because according to them SOG in that period were Cornell 7 and Dartmouth 0. And Dartmouth scored.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:24PM

Due to the faceoff differential, there is a lot of utility in this game to delivering the puck to the opposing goalie if in a disadvantaged offensive position. Sometimes we concentrate too much on possessing the puck, particularly toward the end of shifts.

Just flipping the puck on net does that too, at the same time as creating chaos.

I.e., shoot more!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 08:25PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 08:33PM

scoop85
Trotsky

When Schafer’s game notes from last weekend were posted earlier on the CHA website earlier this week week, they included a comment to the effect (I’m paraphrasing) “I’ve had a rough go with COVID, you should try to avoid it.” FWIW that comment is no longer there.
It was in the Yale game report. Still there in bold. [www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]

Date: January 28, 2022 08:39PM

David Harding
scoop85
Trotsky

It was in the Yale game report. Still there in bold. [www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Now we know what he actually said. If he is in fact boosted, he seems to be having a rougher time of it than the other boosted people who’ve gotten infected since Omicron came on the scene.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:40PM

Pierce off the ice, take advantage!

Date: January 28, 2022 08:44PM

Best pp I've seen where we didn't score.

Date: January 28, 2022 08:51PM

5th pp; gotta make this count. We are 75% at the dot.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-69.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 09:00PM

These refs are not very good.

Date: January 28, 2022 09:08PM

we aren't losing because of the refs. we are losing because our positioning in the offensive zone is incoherent and our without andreev our puckhandling is tentative and sloppy enough that everyone we play feels comfortable crowding and harassing our guys up and down the ice.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-69.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 09:10PM

ugarte
we aren't losing because of the refs. we are losing because our positioning in the offensive zone is incoherent and our without andreev our puckhandling is tentative and sloppy enough that everyone we play feels comfortable crowding and harassing our guys up and down the ice.

Sure, but I can deal with the scoreboard. I don't like watching Dartmouth dump guys left and right without repercussions.

Why even play them? Take two losses and keep our players safe.

Date: January 28, 2022 09:22PM

nice to get the goal but another home game going to OT against a bad team. brutal.

Date: January 28, 2022 09:31PM

ugarte
nice to get the goal but another home game going to OT against a bad team. brutal.
losing my mind at how often we simply fumble the puck or lose an edge

Date: January 28, 2022 09:33PM

ugarte
ugarte
losing my mind at how often we simply fumble the puck or lose an edge

Fumbled pucks by us I’ve seen plenty. Guys repeatedly losing their edge is not the norm.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 09:38PM

wow, cornell shootout is atrocious.

Date: January 28, 2022 09:43PM

Shootouts are by definition a clown show, as is overtime. I hate this anti-climactic crap.

Date: January 28, 2022 09:58PM

blackwidow
We won our first four.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2022 10:03PM

Trotsky
blackwidow
We won our first four.

Sure, then what

Date: January 28, 2022 10:19PM

hurts to lose a game where you basically allow 10 shots on goal.

Date: January 28, 2022 10:20PM

upprdeck
We tied.

Date: January 28, 2022 10:20PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
blackwidow
We won our first four.

Sure, then what
Regression?

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 28, 2022 11:05PM

It's amazing how different this year's team looks without Andreev. However, there was no reason this game should've been close. Teams seem to have a book on Cornell now

Date: January 29, 2022 12:12AM

Iceberg
It's amazing how different this year's team looks without Andreev. However, there was no reason this game should've been close. Teams seem to have a book on Cornell now

Agreed that the team misses what Andreev brings. But I think Dartmouth’s book tonight was “let’s sit back, the Cornell guys will fall down repeatedly for no apparent reason, and when they shoot they’ll either miss the net or put it into Stevenson’s breadbasket.”

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 01:21AM

Riddle me this. At 11:30 pm after all the games were final, we were 21 in PWR. Now we’re 19. Thoughts?

Date: January 29, 2022 03:01AM

Iceberg

Shots on Goal, 32-13
Faceoffs, 40-20

I'd say we win that game outright 85% of the time.

Date: January 29, 2022 09:38AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
We tied.

you think they kids think they tied

Date: January 29, 2022 11:22AM

Dafatone
Sure, but I can deal with the scoreboard. I don't like watching Dartmouth dump guys left and right without repercussions.

It certainly did seem Dartmouth was taking an inordinate number of runs at Stienburg. Either they were trying to reinjure him or he's just the kind of player that inspires that kind of attention. Probably a little of both. They took penalties; there could have been more.

So, as was said above, Cashman Dartmouth is so very similar to Gaudet Dartmouth.

Date: January 29, 2022 11:32AM

Scersk '97
So, as was said above, Cashman Dartmouth is so very similar to Gaudet Dartmouth.
It's going to take more to convince. Cashman was one of my all-time favorite opponents even though he played for Queef.

Date: January 29, 2022 11:41AM

scoop85
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Now we know what he actually said. If he is in fact boosted, he seems to be having a rougher time of it than the other boosted people who’ve gotten infected since Omicron came on the scene.

I don't want to speculate too much, but it's entirely possible he picked up Delta instead of Omicron, considering the timing, direction of travel, and seemingly more difficult road with COVID. The only places where Omicron is starting to loosen up definitively are around the initial outbreak centers in sufficiently vaccinated areas, i.e., Washington DC and Maryland, the NYC area, and, curiously, Cleveland. So, considering how waves spread, North Dakota seems like one of the last places Omicron would have made it to. According to the NYTimes page for North Dakota, their Omicron spike started around 12/28/21; for Arizona, their spike started around the same time.

That all being said, OSC (ongoing symptomatic COVID) is diagnosed at four weeks and post-COVID-19 syndrome ("long hauling," informally) at twelve weeks, so Schafer is still within the parameters for an other than asymptomatic or mild case of normal old COVID.

I'm sure he feels like crap or he'd be behind the bench. More than a speedy recovery, I hope he makes a full one.

Date: January 29, 2022 11:53AM

Scersk '97
scoop85

I don't want to speculate too much, but it's entirely possible he picked up Delta instead of Omicron, considering the timing, direction of travel, and seemingly more difficult road with COVID. The only places where Omicron is starting to loosen up definitively are around the initial outbreak centers in sufficiently vaccinated areas, i.e., Washington DC and Maryland, the NYC area, and, curiously, Cleveland. So, considering how waves spread, North Dakota seems like one of the last places Omicron would have made it to. According to the NYTimes page for North Dakota, their Omicron spike started around 12/28/21; for Arizona, their spike started around the same time.

That all being said, OSC (ongoing symptomatic COVID) is diagnosed at four weeks and post-COVID-19 syndrome ("long hauling," informally) at twelve weeks, so Schafer is still within the parameters for an other than asymptomatic or mild case of normal old COVID.

I'm sure he feels like crap or he'd be behind the bench. More than a speedy recovery, I hope he makes a full one.

Thank you for that informative post, Scersk. It's worrisome because we have no additional information about whether he's isolating (nor are we entitled to any obviously) so people tend to fear the worst.

Date: January 29, 2022 12:06PM

Scersk '97
scoop85

Nicely stated. I may well have incorrectly assumed he got Omicron rather than Delta. I too hope he makes a full recovery, regardless of the time table.

Date: January 29, 2022 12:08PM

Trotsky
Thank you for that informative post, Scersk. It's worrisome because we have no additional information about whether he's isolating (nor are we entitled to any obviously) so people tend to fear the worst.

Just want to say, I am not an epidemiologist (IANE, I guess), but I do love me some COVID stats.

Anecdotally, I have heard how people who are symptomatic can have rather crazy short- and long-term symptoms outside of the normal battery, including all the stuff that would make it impossible to coach for a while, like extreme fatigue, joint pain, and—the kicker—vertigo. Most of this stuff does clear up, but it can be a thing and a half.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2022 03:35PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky

Just want to say, I am not an epidemiologist (IANE, I guess), but I do love me some COVID stats.

Anecdotally, I have heard how people who are symptomatic can have rather crazy short- and long-term symptoms outside of the normal battery, including all the stuff that would make it impossible to coach for a while, like extreme fatigue, joint pain, and—the kicker—vertigo. Most of this stuff does clear up, but it can be a thing and a half.

Exactly, remember a small % of patients that are so severe as to need hospitalization are vaccinated.

I certainly don't know any of his medical history, but he could easily have some chronic disease, which could make infection worse.

Regardless of his current sickness, almost for certain he'll recover enough to coach again. However, my concern is that this might be enough to convince him to retire.

He has talked about how the grind of coaching can get to you. Hopefully his love of his profession will overcome any doubts.

Anyway, as a reminder, I lost yesterday. (I probably posted the game thread too early. That's why they lost.) So someone else needs to take over.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2022 10:56AM

Scersk '97
Shootouts are by definition a clown show, as is overtime. I hate this anti-climactic crap.

They've managed to take what used to be the most exciting part of the game--overtime--and make it boring and annoying for those of us who know what's going on. By the time a game gets to OT, they're only playing for 1/3 of the value of the game in the standings and 10% of the value in the NCAA's increasingly wacky bookkeeping. I suppose for the uninitiated it may be the opposite, and those are the fans they're chasing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2022 10:59AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
We tied.

I don't see the point in pretending there's a difference between losing in OT and in a shootout. They're exactly the same in the league standings (unless they affect tiebreakers, which the ECAC has still not given a straight answer about AFAIK), and the difference in the NCAA's accounting is miniscule. Just letting a game to go to OT is basically giving up a tie (or worse, if it's at home).

I see why the IIHF did this, since they used to only have overtime in knockout games anyway, but it's unbelievably stupid to have adopted it in college.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 11:08AM

jtwcornell91
Scersk '97

They've managed to take what used to be the most exciting part of the game--overtime--and make it boring and annoying for those of us who know what's going on. By the time a game gets to OT, they're only playing for 1/3 of the value of the game in the standings and 10% of the value in the NCAA's increasingly wacky bookkeeping. I suppose for the uninitiated it may be the opposite, and those are the fans they're chasing.

Spot on. A massively deflating feeling when regulation ends tied against Dartmouth for example. Robs the excitement of OT when you know there isn’t actually much at stake.

Date: January 30, 2022 11:19AM

they should go back to 5-10 Min OT. its worth the same as a game pts then if you want a shootout after that, go for it, but its worth 2-0. then teams have an incentive. to not tie at all.

Date: January 30, 2022 02:04PM

Just end in a tie after 60.

Date: January 30, 2022 02:06PM

Trotsky
I prefer a traditional overtime, but your suggestion beats what we now have.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-196.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 02:42PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

I remember stories repeated in the early 70's that in games which OT expired without a score that opposing coaches occasionally agreed to an additional OT. Does anyone know if this was true in the 60's?

Date: January 30, 2022 03:47PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

I remember stories repeated in the early 70's that in games which OT expired without a score that opposing coaches occasionally agreed to an additional OT. Does anyone know if this was true in the 60's?
Never heard of it in a non-tournament game.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-196.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 04:16PM

Al DeFlorio
marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Thanks. It always seemed like BS but I thought maybe it could have happened in a holiday tourney in December or January.

Date: January 30, 2022 04:31PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Thanks. It always seemed like BS but I thought maybe it could have happened in a holiday tourney in December or January.
Happened in the Boston Arena Christmas tournament in the 66-67 season when Cornell and BU tied 3-3 after two OTs and were named co-champions. It was a round-robin format with four teams and played over three consecutive nights. Cornell and BU both beat Harvard and Northeastern, then played on the third night. Game was stopped after two OTs. Three games in three nights plus two OTs...whew.

Tournaments where one team had to win to advance were played until one team scored. No bullshit.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 04:43PM

marty
Al DeFlorio
marty
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

Sort of the reverse did happen in the Boston Christmas Tournament 66-67. We played BU in the third game of the tournament. Yes 3 games. Tied in regulation and after the first 10 minute OT. Agreed to a second OT, but when that was tied the coaches, Harkness and Kelley, agreed to quit. Thus our only tie that year.

And it led to the next game vs Yale, our only loss.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2022 07:43PM

jtwcornell91
I don't see the point in pretending there's a difference between losing in OT and in a shootout. They're exactly the same in the league standings (unless they affect tiebreakers, which the ECAC has still not given a straight answer about AFAIK)

ECAC Tie-Breaking Procedures from the website.

Regarding shootout results, the second tiebreaker, league wins, counts only regulation and overtime wins, not shootouts.

Shootout results do matter in the first, third, and fourth tiebreakers, which now read "Comparison of points attained" head-to-head, against top four, and against top eight. Pre-2020, the tiebreakers referred to "Record." So "points attained" would include those that came by shootout.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2022 07:46PM by Give My Regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login