Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Q Game Thread

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Q Game Thread
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2022 11:45PM

I take full responsibility for today’s loss, as I never started the game thread. So since I’m the last winner, I’m starting it now.

Re: Q Game Thread
Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 12:59AM

the storm is coming

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 03:15AM

Let this be a lesson to both of us.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: January 22, 2022 08:57AM

We, along with Harvard and Clarkson, will have our chances to spoil QU’s “golden season.” (Perhaps “silver season,” considering how old their team is.)

It would be great to get a win tonight, but it’s more important to get healthy while getting a taste of playing against them.

I want them to remain the ECAC’s UNH.

Date: January 22, 2022 11:20AM

Scersk '97
That's Clarkson.

Q is the ECAC's Lowell.

Date: January 22, 2022 04:47PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
That's Clarkson.

Q is the ECAC's Lowell.

UHN has won Hockey East twice; Lowell has won thrice. The University of No Hardware has been to the Frozen Four seven times; crucially, they have never won. Lowell has gone once.

At least in hockey:

UNH:QU::Lowell:Colgate

Clarkson is sui generis.

I rest my case.

Date: January 22, 2022 07:32PM

Great job by the Tupker line so far. We are playing very well.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 08:09PM

5 on 5, please.

Date: January 22, 2022 08:11PM

Ian gives up a ton of rebounds. I need harder drugs for this.

Date: January 22, 2022 08:25PM

Shots 19-3 in the second, Q.

Date: January 22, 2022 08:28PM

Trotsky
Q: 6 minutes on the PP
C: 5 seconds on the PP

But yeah, they are skating circles around us. Our guys seem too intimidated by Q's speed to handle the puck. A lot of flailing and throwing it away from one Q guy only to have it go right to another Q guy.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 08:43PM

Q is great at closing gaps in all zones, and they’re excellent with their sticks. Makes it hard for opponents to gain much traction.

Date: January 22, 2022 08:51PM

scoop85
Q is great at closing gaps in all zones, and they’re excellent with their sticks. Makes it hard for opponents to gain much traction.
i'm sure they do but the number of times a cornell player has the puck on their stick and throws it blind right to someone on Q is not a question of Q closing gaps.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 08:55PM

My wish is for Motley to cash in on one of those great chances he keep finding.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:01PM

ugarte
Trotsky
Q: 6 minutes on the PP
C: 5 seconds on the PP

But yeah, they are skating circles around us. Our guys seem too intimidated by Q's speed to handle the puck. A lot of flailing and throwing it away from one Q guy only to have it go right to another Q guy.

I don’t think it’s being intimidated. I think there’s been an effort to move the puck more quickly than they have most season, knowing the opponent. That has translated into more blind passes that you’re just hoping goes to the right jersey color. Often, it’s the wrong color, but I think the risk has been minimal.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:07PM

very frustrating goal to give up in light but given how bad it could have been if shane didn't save the team i'll take the OT point and hope for more

Date: January 22, 2022 09:09PM

Super exciting 3-on-3 hockey. Yawn.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-72.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:09PM

Well, regardless of the outcome, this is like 90% a tie for RPI reasons. Which isn't bad.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:13PM

Nice move by Mitchell!

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:19PM

Woo hoo!!

Date: January 22, 2022 09:19PM

ugarte
very frustrating goal to give up in light but given how bad it could have been if shane didn't save the team i'll take the OT point and hope for more
hell yeah

Date: January 22, 2022 09:22PM

If I ruled the world, the end of the game would be extended if there's a power play.

Also, if you're in the box, you have to stay there during intermission.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:23PM

ugarte
ugarte
hell yeah

Throwing a crooked number in their loss column. First time since November they’ve allowed 2. Fun game to watch. I’ll take it.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:24PM

Great effort after last night’s stinker and missing our top 2 scorers. Really admire the resiliency of this team.

Date: January 22, 2022 09:25PM

RichH
ugarte
ugarte
hell yeah

Throwing a crooked number in their loss column. First time since November they’ve allowed 2. Fun game to watch. I’ll take it.

Oh yeah, and getting Pecknold pissed off. That’s never a bad thing.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:28PM

This reminds me of the baseball player who went 0-4 with four strikeouts, then hit a game-winning home run in his last at-bat and said, "I don't know if I had a terrible night or a great one."

I'm not sure if Cornell hockey's weekend was terrible or great, but we beat the #1 team in the country, so I'll say great. Friday night's game was a learning experience, and I believe the Pairwise allows you to designate three games per season as "learning experience" that don't affect your RPI. ;-) (Quinnipiac will want to do that for tonight's game...

burnout )

Date: January 22, 2022 09:31PM

Jim Hyla
I take full responsibility for today’s loss, as I never started the game thread. So since I’m the last winner, I’m starting it now.

JIM FOREVER

Posted by: Swampy (185.240.244.---)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:36PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

JIM FOREVER

+1

Date: January 22, 2022 09:40PM

LOL. Cornell drops in PWR. doh

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:44PM

Saw the drop in the pwr. Who wants to take a shot at explaining that?

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:47PM

arugula
Game counts as .44 wins and .54 losses, which certainly lowers our win %.
It's 55% win x .8 (home win factor) and 45% loss x 1.2 (home loss factor).

Date: January 22, 2022 09:57PM

But shouldn’t the fact that the opponent was the number 1 team matter? They dropped 3 spots for a home regulation loss to Princeton and 2 spots for an ot win over q. Make sense?

I didn’t want the technical explanation. I know that. I wanted a sensible explanation.

Date: January 22, 2022 10:09PM

arugula
But shouldn’t the fact that the opponent was the number 1 team matter? They dropped 3 spots for a home regulation loss to Princeton and 2 spots for an ot win over q. Make sense?

I didn’t want the technical explanation. I know that. I wanted a sensible explanation.

It should matter. But it's three factors. Your record. Your opponents' record. Your opponents' opponents' record. The first factor doesn't care about who you play. The second and third don't care if you win or lose.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 10:12PM

Dafatone
arugula

It should matter. But it's three factors. Your record. Your opponents' record. Your opponents' opponents' record. The first factor doesn't care about who you play. The second and third don't care if you win or lose.

Soooo...I take this to mean Quinnipiac's opponents have a bad record?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2022 10:13PM

arugula

Gad, you sound like me, just feels better to have won at home in OT, ignore the logic at least while we savor victory for one night. But nice to be reminded how not winning outright bites us in the butt.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 10:15PM

Any way you slice it, we should not be going down in the Pairwise based on the result of tonight’s game against Qpac. The formula clearly needs some “tweaking”, to put it mildly.

Date: January 22, 2022 10:16PM

djk26
Soooo...I take this to mean Quinnipiac's opponents have a bad record?
They have a worse record than before playing Q, now with two exceptions.

No matter what PWR says, it's going to be a long 4-1/2-hour bus ride back to Hamden.

The Bobcat skaters can take some measure of solace from this Quinnipiac student's challenging senior week.
Dropout calls in graduation bomb threat to hide from family
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 10:20PM by billhoward.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 23, 2022 12:04AM

someone needs to explain why Cornell limited students to 50 per section for safety but then decides those 50 can all sit in the same 20 sq ft? if thats the case then why did numbers matter at all?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 12:10AM

upprdeck
someone needs to explain why Cornell limited students to 50 per section for safety but then decides those 50 can all sit in the same 20 sq ft? if thats the case then why did numbers matter at all?
The rules make absolutely no sense and never have. It’s all “doing something” for the sake of saying they’re doing something.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:23AM

Nice job by undermanned Cornell to gut out a tie/OT win in a game where they were badly outmatched. Shane was incredible. Quinnipiac is the best opponent I have seen in years at taking away time and space. Cornell was outshot 2:1 in regulation, which felt like a good approximation of possession. Maybe with Andreev and Stienburg back, Cornell could put up more of a fight at maintaining possession, but I think this year Q is just way better.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 12:35AM

BearLover
upprdeck
The rules make absolutely no sense and never have. It’s all “doing something” for the sake of saying they’re doing something.

So typical of the Cornell Ticket Office, throughout the past several regimes. Probably things dictated from above.

-Ned Harkness

Date: January 23, 2022 01:13AM

jkahn
arugula
the formula should not result in an OT win at home being worth less than a neutral site tie. that's dumb. (not your math, the rules that led to your math).

Date: January 23, 2022 02:01AM

ugarte
jkahn
arugula
the formula should not result in an OT win at home being worth less than a neutral site tie. that's dumb. (not your math, the rules that led to your math).
The home/away formula is dumb, and possibly not rooted in reality (is it actually that much harder to win on the road?), but from what I understand, it isn’t actually competitively unfair. The formula might bias more against home teams than home-ice advantage is actually worth in reality. But such bias kicks in whether the home team wins, loses, or ties. So, for instance, Cornell might not have gotten as many points for an OT tie thanks to this bias, but this same bias would have hurt Cornell just the same had it lost in OT, or lost in regulation. The delta between outcomes (win, tie, loss) is no different whether you’re at home or on the road. The home/away bias means there is more to lose at home, and more to gain on the road, but the absolute stakes are exactly the same. Therefore, from a competition standpoint, assuming all teams play the same ratio of home and away games, this weird quirk in the formula should be a wash.

The 55/45 breakdown on OT win/OT loss is a subjective weighting of how much 3v3 overtime should count. Personally, I’m okay with this weighting. 3v3 OT is exciting and fans hate ties; but it’s a gimmick, and should not be afforded nearly the same weight as a game decided in regulation. But a slight effect on the PWR makes the OT at least somewhat meaningful.

Does it feel strange that Cornell beat a top team (#6 in the PWR prior to tonight) and dropped in the PWR? Sure, but the same quirks in the PWR that caused us to drop with an OT win would have caused us to drop more with an OT loss, and quite a bit more with a regulation loss. Those are the alternatives Cornell was facing tonight, and why the outcome was still just as important as that of any other game (actually slightly more important given the quality win bonus).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 02:04AM by BearLover.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 02:54AM

Bottom line - it isn't really a "win" as far as Pairwise is concerned. That's why the team dropped. Quinnipiac result was a net negative - just like the Brown win and Alaska wins were. You can partially blame ECAC - including Cornell - for these "rules." ECAC fought hard to have home/road weightings in the RPI because it felt like it was always being hurt in Pairwise by playing so many road non-league games -- because the "big" schools wouldn't come to play at their arenas. And Mike Schafer was among the big advocates for a tiny bump -- 55/45 -- for 3x3 OT wins. And I don't blame him - because 3x3 is a jokey gimmick and isn't a real win anyway.

It's basically a tie - which is what the game really was. The other shenanigans are not the game.

If you want to get credit for winning the game - win the actual hockey game. Not the other exercises.

So - yeah, it's weird that it feels good to "win" against Quinnipiac, but really have it not be good. But reality is, it's a net negative. What can I tell ya.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 02:56AM by adamw.

Date: January 23, 2022 03:18AM

adamw
Bottom line - it isn't really a "win" as far as Pairwise is concerned. That's why the team dropped. Quinnipiac result was a net negative - just like the Brown win and Alaska wins were. You can partially blame ECAC - including Cornell - for these "rules." ECAC fought hard to have home/road weightings in the RPI because it felt like it was always being hurt in Pairwise by playing so many road non-league games -- because the "big" schools wouldn't come to play at their arenas. And Mike Schafer was among the big advocates for a tiny bump -- 55/45 -- for 3x3 OT wins. And I don't blame him - because 3x3 is a jokey gimmick and isn't a real win anyway.

It's basically a tie - which is what the game really was. The other shenanigans are not the game.

If you want to get credit for winning the game - win the actual hockey game. Not the other exercises.

So - yeah, it's weird that it feels good to "win" against Quinnipiac, but really have it not be good. But reality is, it's a net negative. What can I tell ya.
It’s a net negative because of the same home/road weighting that affects every other team. Cornell will benefit from the same weighting when it goes on the road against Q (or any other team). Because of home/road weighting, all possible outcomes of a home game average out to a net negative. The baseline against which we should compare tonight’s game isn’t the outcome of some game in a vacuum against a random opponent. Instead, the baseline should be the possible outcomes of a home game against the #6 pairwise team. So, it really isn’t worth dwelling on whether tonight was a net negative. The likely outcome heading into the game was a loss and a resulting bigger tumble in the pairwise, and that is the baseline against which we should compare tonight’s OT win and two spot fall in the pairwise. I.e., not a bad outcome.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 03:21AM by BearLover.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 08:08AM

jkahn
arugula

Think also how this affects Q. They feel like crap (or hopefully worse) in the loss but get .54 of a win and only .44 of a loss. So they lose but their pairwise goes up?

And because .8 is not the reciprocal of 1.2 it is only .98 if a game. Perfect.

Date: January 23, 2022 09:18AM

BearLover
ugarte
jkahn
arugula
The home/away formula is dumb, and possibly not rooted in reality (is it actually that much harder to win on the road?), but from what I understand, it isn’t actually competitively unfair. The formula might bias more against home teams than home-ice advantage is actually worth in reality. But such bias kicks in whether the home team wins, loses, or ties. So, for instance, Cornell might not have gotten as many points for an OT tie thanks to this bias, but this same bias would have hurt Cornell just the same had it lost in OT, or lost in regulation. The delta between outcomes (win, tie, loss) is no different whether you’re at home or on the road. The home/away bias means there is more to lose at home, and more to gain on the road, but the absolute stakes are exactly the same. Therefore, from a competition standpoint, assuming all teams play the same ratio of home and away games, this weird quirk in the formula should be a wash.

The 55/45 breakdown on OT win/OT loss is a subjective weighting of how much 3v3 overtime should count. Personally, I’m okay with this weighting. 3v3 OT is exciting and fans hate ties; but it’s a gimmick, and should not be afforded nearly the same weight as a game decided in regulation. But a slight effect on the PWR makes the OT at least somewhat meaningful.

Does it feel strange that Cornell beat a top team (#6 in the PWR prior to tonight) and dropped in the PWR? Sure, but the same quirks in the PWR that caused us to drop with an OT win would have caused us to drop more with an OT loss, and quite a bit more with a regulation loss. Those are the alternatives Cornell was facing tonight, and why the outcome was still just as important as that of any other game (actually slightly more important given the quality win bonus).

explain the logic of 3x3 counting less in the first place.. you can have 3x3 OT even in a game with reg OT rules.. we actually won on a 4x3 play. I can see saying a shootout is different but 3x3 happens all the time in a game so no reason to value it any less.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:01AM

BearLover
The home/away formula is dumb, and possibly not rooted in reality (is it actually that much harder to win on the road?)
I think the purpose was to provide an incentive for teams to travel -- particularly teams with huge rinks who suffer a non-trivial revenue hit when they sacrifice a home date.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 10:01AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:16AM

Trotsky
BearLover
The home/away formula is dumb, and possibly not rooted in reality (is it actually that much harder to win on the road?)
I think the purpose was to provide an incentive for teams to travel -- particularly teams with huge rinks who suffer a non-trivial revenue hit when they sacrifice a home date.

Yup. I still think it goes too far, but it makes some sense given that goal.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:21AM

Trotsky
BearLover

you could also put limits on home.away games to force teams to travel which would allow the formula to not need as much tweaking.

Posted by: DL (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 10:54AM

marty
jkahn
arugula

Think also how this affects Q. They feel like crap (or hopefully worse) in the loss but get .54 of a win and only .44 of a loss. So they lose but their pairwise goes up?

Right, someone else may not /need/ to explain this to me, but /I/ need it explained.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:23AM

DL
marty
jkahn
arugula

Right, someone else may not /need/ to explain this to me, but /I/ need it explained.
The key is to view OT games as essentially a tie, for PWR purposes. Cornell has played five such games this year: two against Alaska, one against Brown, one against Clarkson, one against Q. In my mind, those games were ties. The ones against Alaska and Brown were poor performances. The ones against Clarkson and Q were fine outcomes (notwithstanding the collapse against Clarkson). Everyone needs to get on the same page with what counts as a win. No more dropping OT wins into the W column.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:33AM

BearLover
DL
marty
jkahn
arugula

The key is to view OT games as essentially a tie, for PWR purposes. Cornell has played five such games this year: two against Alaska, one against Brown, one against Clarkson, one against Q. In my mind, those games were ties. The ones against Alaska and Brown were poor performances. The ones against Clarkson and Q were fine outcomes (notwithstanding the collapse against Clarkson). Everyone needs to get on the same page with what counts as a win. No more dropping OT wins into the W column.
That is, in fact, now the reality. Given that, why bother with overtime at all? And, why do it with a bogus three-on-three format? Worse, if we should think of it as a tie, anywsy, why add a meaningless shoot-out on top of an unresolved overtime? That's all now unnecessary. Why require six numbers to show a team's overall record when three would do? Classic case of over-thinking something when there's an obvious simple solution.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:36AM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
DL
marty
jkahn
arugula

That is, in fact, now the reality. Given that, why bother with overtime at all? And, why do it with a bogus three-on-three format? Worse, if we should think of it as a tie, anywsy, why add a meaningless shoot-out on top of an unresolved overtime? That's all now unnecessary. Why require six numbers to show a team's overall record when three would do? Classic case of over-thinking something when there's an obvious simple solution.
I would guess that 3-on-3 OT plus shootout to determine a winner is much more entertaining to the casual fan than simply ending a game in a tie or playing 5 minutes or 5-on-5.

Posted by: JohnF81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 11:38AM

Other than the second period when they had their PP advantage, shots and possession were about even. As you point out, we were missing our top two goal scorers. And .... we won! Q is not way better.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:45AM

JohnF81
Other than the second period when they had their PP advantage, shots and possession were about even. As you point out, we were missing our top two goal scorers. And .... we won! Q is not way better.

I think they’re better overall, even accounting for our missing players, but it’s not a huge gap. Grady & Tim made a good point on the broadcast that QU has the advantage of having played a season last year. These guys had a chance to have continuity among key lines/players and cemented that knowledge of each others’ habits. I don’t think you can measure that quantitatively, but I think it counts for something.

Cornell seems susceptible to “rust” in coming back from time off.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:46AM

BearLover
It’s a net negative because of the same home/road weighting that affects every other team. Cornell will benefit from the same weighting when it goes on the road against Q (or any other team). Because of home/road weighting, all possible outcomes of a home game average out to a net negative.

0.8 of a win is not a net negative -- at least not in the way I'm using the term. If your winning percentage for the day is .800 - then that's going to raise your RPI.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 11:47AM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
DL
marty
jkahn
arugula

I would guess that 3-on-3 OT plus shootout to determine a winner is much more entertaining to the casual fan than simply ending a game in a tie or playing 5 minutes or 5-on-5.
Using the kind of delicate language Trotsky would - Fuck the casual fan. Scrap the 3-on-3, play a 5-on-5 overtime, in which the winner gets credit for a win, and if you have to, have a shootout for conference purposes that would count as a tie in pairwise.

Date: January 23, 2022 11:48AM

marty

well, to be anal, they went down too - because their RPI was already above .54

Date: January 23, 2022 11:50AM

Al DeFlorio
Given that, why bother with overtime at all? And, why do it with a bogus three-on-three format? Worse, if we should think of it as a tie, anywsy, why add a meaningless shoot-out on top of an unresolved overtime? That's all now unnecessary. Why require six numbers to show a team's overall record when three would do? Classic case of over-thinking something when there's an obvious simple solution.

The answer is the same any time someone is not doing the obvious simple solution ... it's not like no one is aware of the simple solution - they just don't want to. What we have now is a compromise between people who love 3-on-3 and want NCAA to "be like the NHL" - and those who abhor it and don't want it to count for anything.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 11:53AM

adamw
marty

Unless, in that same (anal) vein, adding us as an opponent boosts the other RPI criteria more than the .54 win hurts (and we do have a good winning percentage)

Date: January 23, 2022 12:22PM

marty
I assumed those figures were rounded off and the actual weights are reciprocal. e.g., .81 and 1.234567 ( a truly awesome value!)

TIL, you can do math in the url field.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 12:23PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:25PM

Trotsky
marty
I assumed those figures were rounded off and the actual weights are reciprocal. e.g., .81 and 1.234567 ( a truly awesome value!)

For what it's worth, every game is .98 of a game, so it kinda evens out. Except neutral site games, I guess.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:25PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
marty

For what it's worth, every game is .98 of a game, so it kinda evens out. Except neutral site games, I guess.
LOL, I guess that is true, yeah.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:48PM

RichH
JohnF81

I think they’re better overall, even accounting for our missing players, but it’s not a huge gap. Grady & Tim made a good point on the broadcast that QU has the advantage of having played a season last year. These guys had a chance to have continuity among key lines/players and cemented that knowledge of each others’ habits. I don’t think you can measure that quantitatively, but I think it counts for something.

They also have a bunch of transfer students who are "attending" whatever it is that passes for a grad school at (s)QU U.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:50PM

adamw
marty

Thanks.

Why not use the 20% bump only in out of conference games if it is in fact supposed to encourage schools with large revenue generating programs to travel?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 12:53PM by marty.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:57PM

adamw
BearLover
It’s a net negative because of the same home/road weighting that affects every other team. Cornell will benefit from the same weighting when it goes on the road against Q (or any other team). Because of home/road weighting, all possible outcomes of a home game average out to a net negative.

0.8 of a win is not a net negative -- at least not in the way I'm using the term. If your winning percentage for the day is .800 - then that's going to raise your RPI.
Factoring the home game-penalty across all possible outcomes (win/lose/draw) averages out to a net negative. I.e., playing a home game will, on average, hurt you in the Pairwise. Cornell was hurt last night in the Pairwise, but less so than they would have been had they lost (which, given the quality of the opposition, was more likely).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 12:58PM by BearLover.

Date: January 23, 2022 12:58PM

Perhaps I’m missing this, but it sounds like the OT home “wins” vs Alaska count the same as the Q game. Wasn’t quality of opponent supposed to mean something or is that weighed down by the weakness of Q’s schedule?

Date: January 23, 2022 01:12PM

marty
RichH
JohnF81

They also have a bunch of transfer students who are "attending" whatever it is that passes for a grad school at (s)QU U.

Q has a much more experienced roster than we do. This is the year they should make big noise.

Date: January 23, 2022 01:22PM

QUin has 13 kids in their 4-5-6th yr of playing

we have a whole team with 3 and none who played last yr.. thats a huge amount of experience gap.

we have 14 in their first year of hockey.. Played a goalie who has played 3 weeks of games

What Quin does is really limit the mistakes.. Still we had over 6 half dozen chances in the slot to put home. Their goalie left the same rebounds as ours we just dont have the same presence in the crease to put them home right now.

every time we play a better team we need to continue to elevate our play and get better at the sloppy mistakes.. The PP scored last night which decided the game.

Date: January 23, 2022 02:31PM

marty
Why not use the 20% bump only in out of conference games if it is in fact supposed to encourage schools with large revenue generating programs to travel?
I'll bet the answer is nobody thought to do it.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 02:39PM

nshapiro
Using the kind of delicate language Trotsky would - Fuck the casual fan. Scrap the 3-on-3, play a 5-on-5 overtime, in which the winner gets credit for a win, and if you have to, have a shootout for conference purposes that would count as a tie in pairwise.

How about five minutes of 5 on 5 regular OT, with an OT win being a regular win for pairwise purposes, and then a second OT if needed of 3 on 3, which could result in the current pairwise split. This would give us basically what we've had for the last twenty or so years (I don't remember when the OT format last changed before this recent change, but I think it's been at least 20 years), with the 3 on 3 just as a last resort to break ties that would have been ties after a "regular" OT.

Date: January 23, 2022 02:58PM

Or just end the game after 60 minutes as a tie.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-197-201.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 04:27PM

Trotsky
Or just end the game after 60 minutes as a tie.

My suggestion above was attempting to remain in line with what seems to be the "let's have fewer ties" goal that must have been the cause of the change from the former five minute five on five.

I'd also take no OT.

The 3 on 3 stuff, while less silly than a shootout, still isn't the way to settle a great game that is tied after 60 minutes.

Date: January 23, 2022 04:43PM

BearLover
adamw
BearLover

Factoring the home game-penalty across all possible outcomes (win/lose/draw) averages out to a net negative. I.e., playing a home game will, on average, hurt you in the Pairwise. Cornell was hurt last night in the Pairwise, but less so than they would have been had they lost (which, given the quality of the opposition, was more likely).

We're clearly not talking about the same thing - a regulation win never hurts your Pairwise. You seem to be talking about relative to a road win. Which of course is better. That doesn't mean the home win is a "net negative." Whereas a home OT win clearly is.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 04:45PM by adamw.

Date: January 23, 2022 04:53PM

andyw2100
nshapiro

How about five minutes of 5 on 5 regular OT, with an OT win being a regular win for pairwise purposes, and then a second OT if needed of 3 on 3, which could result in the current pairwise split. This would give us basically what we've had for the last twenty or so years (I don't remember when the OT format last changed before this recent change, but I think it's been at least 20 years), with the 3 on 3 just as a last resort to break ties that would have been ties after a "regular" OT.
Ice quality and clock time are the issues, I think. Seems to me the ice was resurfaced for the ten minute overtimes that were played back in the day. That takes time. Back then games were Tuesday night and Saturday night, not Friday/Saturday. With ten minute overtimes a team couldn't play Katy-bar-the-door hockey to settle for a tie against a stronger team.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:05PM

Just occurred to me that Cornell's last 3 goals have been scored by Berard and assisted by Malinski.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 10:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 10:21PM

After Princeton I was wondering if Shane would get the start against Q. He did and he was obviously fantastic. I don’t remember, what were the expectations for him when it was announced he’d join Cornell? I’m guessing it’s his crease the rest of the way so long as he doesn’t fall into a funk.

Date: January 23, 2022 10:41PM

JasonN95
After Princeton I was wondering if Shane would get the start against Q. He did and he was obviously fantastic. I don’t remember, what were the expectations for him when it was announced he’d join Cornell? I’m guessing it’s his crease the rest of the way so long as he doesn’t fall into a funk.

Shane’s backstory is interesting. He had a great W-L record with a strong Chicago Steel team in the USHL in 2019-20, but his save percentage was just .886. Last year he got off to a rough start in Chicago and ended up finishing the season with Bismarck in the NAHL. There his stats improved (2.60 GA average and .914 save percentage), albeit against somewhat inferior competition.

I’m not sure where else Shane had offers, but Howe was probably the more heavily recruited of the two, having chosen Cornell over BC. But at this moment Shane looks like the top guy.

Date: January 24, 2022 07:51AM

Shane bobbles saves and leaves a metric shit ton of rebounds. I keep expecting him to be absolutely lit up but the only time it's happened was Princeton.

It's like he has such great positioning it makes up for having bad hands, which you'd think would be pretty suboptimal for a goalie.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2022 07:52AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 24, 2022 08:39AM

Al DeFlorio
... why bother with overtime at all? And, why do it with a bogus three-on-three format? Worse, if we should think of it as a tie, anywsy, why add a meaningless shoot-out on top of an unresolved overtime? That's all now unnecessary. Why require six numbers to show a team's overall record when three would do? Classic case of over-thinking something when there's an obvious simple solution.
Fans like outcomes that have a W or L. It was exciting to see Ben Barard score that OT goal. Sunday morning I must have looped the Instagram clip 20 times, and damn if Barard doesn't score each time. Allow me that pleasure. In some way it makes up for the collapse against Wisconsin a couple years back in the NCAA semifinals.

The clip: [www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 08:57AM

Trotsky
Shane bobbles saves and leaves a metric shit ton of rebounds. I keep expecting him to be absolutely lit up but the only time it's happened was Princeton.

It's like he has such great positioning it makes up for having bad hands, which you'd think would be pretty suboptimal for a goalie.

Funny, I was thinking that Howe left a ton of rebounds, metric or not.

I'll give Schafer the nod, that Shane plays better in games than practice and I gather Howe is the reverse.

Date: January 24, 2022 08:58AM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'll give Schafer the nod, that Shane plays better in games than practice and I gather Howe is the reverse.

And here I'm thinking that McDonald is the one who gives up the most rebounds.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 09:04AM

Dafatone
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'd agree with that.

But I think the battle is Shane vs Howe. That's why I posted on Howe.

Date: January 24, 2022 09:10AM

Jim Hyla
Dafatone
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'd agree with that.

Makes sense. I'd give Howe the occasional start. Rest is good, and Howe looked great early in the season before he got hurt. Shane is definitely the #1 though.

Date: January 24, 2022 09:14AM

Jim Hyla
Dafatone
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'd agree with that.

Goaltender stats: [www.collegehockeynews.com]
Ian Shane Fr       343 min   1.57  .942  4-1-0
Joe Howe  Fr       358       2.35  .905  4-2-0
Nate McDonald Sr   385       2.50  .895  5-1-1

Date: January 24, 2022 09:18AM

Jim Hyla
Dafatone
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'd agree with that.

Yeah, McDonald is out. He's certainly not horrible—our best third-string goalie in memory.

I saw Shane control a couple of rebounds vs. Quinnipiac at very good times. I recall quite vividly a great second-chance grab off a shoulder save when he had two QU "companions" completely unchallenged and ready to pounce. And then, sometimes, well…

Whichever goalie improves his rebound control is going to be the starter. Right now, I give Shane the edge in positioning and glove hand; I give Howe the edge in stick handling and, well, size. I think at this point it's going to be Shane; I think in the longer term it's going to be Howe. It could be whatever freshman shows up next year.

But I am known (see Elliott, Jason) not to be an astute predictor of goalie development.

Date: January 24, 2022 09:37AM

you cant also overlook that Shane has played 3 games vs top teams in this stretch and did more than enough to actually win them all.

lets get coach back behind the bench as well soon.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 09:44AM

Shane's glove hand has been excellent.

Date: January 24, 2022 10:00AM

Scersk '97
Jim Hyla
Dafatone
Jim Hyla
Trotsky

I'd agree with that.

Yeah, McDonald is out. He's certainly not horrible—our best third-string goalie in memory.

I saw Shane control a couple of rebounds vs. Quinnipiac at very good times. I recall quite vividly a great second-chance grab off a shoulder save when he had two QU "companions" completely unchallenged and ready to pounce. And then, sometimes, well…

Whichever goalie improves his rebound control is going to be the starter. Right now, I give Shane the edge in positioning and glove hand; I give Howe the edge in stick handling and, well, size. I think at this point it's going to be Shane; I think in the longer term it's going to be Howe. It could be whatever freshman shows up next year.

But I am known (see Elliott, Jason) not to be an astute predictor of goalie development.

Don't feel bad. I liked Davenport over Scrivens. Mistakes happen.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2022 10:49AM

upprdeck

And Andreev and Stienburg back on the ice.

Date: January 24, 2022 11:02AM

Dafatone
Scersk '97

Don't feel bad. I liked Davenport over Scrivens. Mistakes happen.

In my defense, Skazyk did backstop us to victory over Harvard early in the '95–'96 season.

That being said, the depths of my error were later completely exposed by Elliott's masterpiece: the 3–0 semifinal win over an absolutely stacked (including Todd White) Clarkson, which was perhaps the most satisfying game of my undergrad years.

Date: January 24, 2022 11:50AM

George64
upprdeck

anyone know which one is walking around with the arm in a sling this weekend? with masks on no idea who is who.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 02:34PM

upprdeck
George64
upprdeck

anyone know which one is walking around with the arm in a sling this weekend? with masks on no idea who is who.

Let's hope it's Mike Schafer (rather than any on-ice players). cry

Date: January 24, 2022 05:09PM

billhoward
Fans like outcomes that have a W or L.
Citation needed.

Date: January 24, 2022 05:14PM

Scersk '97
That being said, the depths of my error were later completely exposed by Elliott's masterpiece: the 3–0 semifinal win over an absolutely stacked (including Todd White) Clarkson, which was perhaps the most satisfying game of my undergrad years.
This, for me, will always be Elliott's masterpiece. He was so badly banged up that he could barely move, but he willed himself to survive. One of the most amazing goaltending performances I've ever seen.

Date: January 24, 2022 06:04PM

Trotsky

Scersk '97

This, for me, will always be Elliott's masterpiece. He was so badly banged up that he could barely move, but he willed himself to survive. One of the most amazing goaltending performances I've ever seen.

Certainly a great performance, but it's difficult to separate the road win at RPI from what happened in the PIG afterward, when we barely stood in the way of the first of Princeton's decadal charges. Of course, when your alternative is the wonderfully pugnacious but diminutive Ian Burt, you do what you have to do.

Date: January 24, 2022 06:10PM

Scersk '97
when your alternative is the wonderfully pugnacious but diminutive Ian Burt, you do what you have to do.

Was he "We gonna go?" "Um. No? "Wrong." "Oh. I guess so then."

And who was that? Yacey's Mom?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2022 06:12PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2022 06:45PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
when your alternative is the wonderfully pugnacious but diminutive Ian Burt, you do what you have to do.

This was by far the best player quote from that era.

Date: January 24, 2022 06:59PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97

Leeor Shtrom, I believe.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2022 07:03PM by RichH.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login