Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Watching out of conference games

Posted by JohnAshbrook 
Watching out of conference games
Posted by: JohnAshbrook (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2022 06:18PM

Reviewing the North Dakota game threads it is apparent to me that many of you paid some strange midwestern sports conference like 20 bucks to watch a single hockey game online. While I applaud your willingness to spend your hard-earned money to support the boys, word to the wise: if somebody is putting up a paywall to watch an athletic event, there is somebody in the world broadcasting it for free online. Some of you are old as hell, and it shows. If we ever have another out-of-conference game that isn't on ESPN+, this website will almost definitely have a link to a free stream of it http://onhockey.tv/. I was able to watch both Cornell games from my hotel in Ireland for free on this website. Don't get ripped off folks, we're Cornellians we gotta be wiser.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2022 06:24PM by JohnAshbrook.

Re: Watching out of conference games
Posted by: DL (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2022 09:36PM

Sweet! Particularly the bit about it being available in Ireland

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 10, 2022 10:12PM

JohnAshbrook
Reviewing the North Dakota game threads it is apparent to me that many of you paid some strange midwestern sports conference like 20 bucks to watch a single hockey game online. While I applaud your willingness to spend your hard-earned money to support the boys, word to the wise: if somebody is putting up a paywall to watch an athletic event, there is somebody in the world broadcasting it for free online. Some of you are old as hell, and it shows. If we ever have another out-of-conference game that isn't on ESPN+, this website will almost definitely have a link to a free stream of it http://onhockey.tv/. I was able to watch both Cornell games from my hotel in Ireland for free on this website. Don't get ripped off folks, we're Cornellians we gotta be wiser.

I would rather pay the money than watch an illegal stream which they can easily come after you for if they want too. $20 for 2 games is way cheaper than a movie and the cost of actually going in person.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 12:35AM

upprdeck
JohnAshbrook

I would rather pay the money than watch an illegal stream which they can easily come after you for if they want too. $20 for 2 games is way cheaper than a movie and the cost of actually going in person.

Agreed.

Also, I don't know how this happened, but I was able to watch the full replay of the Saturday game in the nchctv app on Roku...but im not a subscriber!

No idea how that worked

Weird

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 04:17AM

My assumption is the expected value of the ransomware attack after I watch an illegal stream is higher than the price of the legal stream.

Market incentives.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 08:57AM

upprdeck
JohnAshbrook

Agree. As someone who had to pay long distance phone charges from Ithaca to Boston (for you young ones, you used to have to pay for every minute you talked to someone not in your local area!) and hook up my "hifi" (How do you like that. My spell check doesn't even know "hifi".) to my phone, so that a few of us in Boston could listen to the 1968 NCAAs, $20 of 2022 money to WATCH games in North Dakota is truly a bargain. How is that for an undecipherable sentence.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 09:28AM

Jim Hyla
upprdeck
JohnAshbrook

Agree. As someone who had to pay long distance phone charges from Ithaca to Boston (for you young ones, you used to have to pay for every minute you talked to someone not in your local area!) and hook up my "hifi" (How do you like that. My spell check doesn't even know "hifi".) to my phone, so that a few of us in Boston could listen to the 1968 NCAAs, $20 of 2022 money to WATCH games in North Dakota is truly a bargain. How is that for an undecipherable sentence.

Some of us don't mind supporting business models that turn a profit as long a the product is good. The video from ND was worth the fee.

I added another $5 so that I can watch any NCHC game this month. I guess I'm just a sap.

Posted by: DL (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 11:49AM

Aren't viewing parties technically illegal or something? And I got the impression that the OP was already paying for ESPN+, though the last portion I felt contradicted that.

Regardless, since people have different thresholds of value for money, and with the landscape of what you do get & how you get it being such a mess, pay vs pirate is not likely to be resolved anytime soon, if the relatively simpler music purchase model is any indication.

Me? I'd need a low price for consistent audio streaming of every CU game that's accessible in every country I fly economy class to, then maybe triple that price for reasonable video, but I'm not about to hunt down every subscription I need in every country.
Again, that's just me.

Posted by: JohnAshbrook (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 12:01PM

Trotsky

Market incentives.

My anarcho-communist generation does not believe in such things. Let the people watch hockey, reject the invisible hand.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 12:46PM

Trotsky
My assumption is the expected value of the ransomware attack after I watch an illegal stream is higher than the price of the legal stream.

This. Shady streaming sites are shady.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 05:50PM

JohnAshbrook
Trotsky

Market incentives.

My anarcho-communist generation does not believe in such things. Let the people watch hockey, reject the invisible hand.
Seize the means. Players own the feed.

Let's go Red!

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: April 06, 2022 02:44PM

More OOC games will be on one subscription with this announcement. How long is the ECAC’s current deal with the 4-letter+ streaming?

Heck of a deal for a lot of eastern hockey.

[espnpressroom.com]

Edit: The ECAC streaming deal is for 8 years, announced in October 2021.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2022 02:47PM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login