Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Second ND Game Thread

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Second ND Game Thread
Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:25AM

Al DeFlorio
Siouxsports.com not responding this morning.
The posters voted to shut it down out of embarrassment over this weekend.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:26AM

How are you able to read the articles in the Grand Forks paper? Mine are redacted like a CIA document.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-68.myvzw.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:30AM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
Siouxsports.com not responding this morning.
The posters voted to shut it down out of embarrassment over this weekend.

Please tell me this is actually a thing.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:37AM

TimV
How are you able to read the articles in the Grand Forks paper? Mine are redacted like a CIA document.
I got the impression I was able to read a limited number of articles for free. I read the three stories from this weekend's games without any trouble.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:56AM

Dafatone
dbilmes
Nice sidebar article on Cody Haiskanen's homecoming weekened. I will say it's nice to be able to read newspaper articles about our games with quotes from coaches/players on both sides. I give the Grand Forks Herald credit for that. As far as I know, for example, there were no newspaper stories about our games last week at Arizona State. The Cornell Sun stories never have quotes from the opposing coaches and are often just written from watching the games on livestream. Here in New Haven, where I live, the New Haven paper doesn't both covering most of the Yale or Quinnipiac home games in person any more, either.

One of the interesting things about living in a very small place (population-wise) is the local investment in what's going on.

Largely cause there isn't anything else going on.

Which makes it even more galling that the Ithaca Journal isn’t more like the Grand Forks Herald. But the local Gannett papers (including mine) are basically used to publish USA Today articles on a more regional basis.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:57AM

Dafatone
dbilmes
Nice sidebar article on Cody Haiskanen's homecoming weekened. I will say it's nice to be able to read newspaper articles about our games with quotes from coaches/players on both sides. I give the Grand Forks Herald credit for that. As far as I know, for example, there were no newspaper stories about our games last week at Arizona State. The Cornell Sun stories never have quotes from the opposing coaches and are often just written from watching the games on livestream. Here in New Haven, where I live, the New Haven paper doesn't both covering most of the Yale or Quinnipiac home games in person any more, either.

One of the interesting things about living in a very small place (population-wise) is the local investment in what's going on.

Seems to me that NoDak hockey is the closest the state has to a professional sports team and everybody cares.

Date: January 09, 2022 11:58AM

TimV
"Burn after reading."

Date: January 09, 2022 12:03PM

To access the articles in the GFH, I just needed to answer the requisite survey questions about which underwear brand I may consider buying in the next three months (no, seriously).

While we’re on the subject of the media, I want to comment on the awesome production by the Midco crew. The camerawork, multiple replay angles, PBP and color work were NHL level quality. I think the PBP guy was the best I’ve heard on a college hockey telecast, and he’s surely destined for bigger things. I was especially impressed that he reacted with genuine excitement when either team scored. The color guy (who’s a former UND goalie) was insightful and balanced; his only glaring error was thinking Psenicka scored his goal from the blue line rather than on the tip-in, but he corrected himself during the highlight review at the end of the period. Both announcers were even-handed in their analysis, so much so that a poster on the UND forum (before it crashed) said something to the effect, “does anyone else think they give too much praise to the other team?”
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2022 12:34PM by scoop85.

Date: January 09, 2022 12:05PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
dbilmes

Seems to me that NoDak hockey is the closest the state has to a professional sports team and everybody cares.

North Dakota State football has won 9 of the last 11 FCS championships and has produced two first round QB draft choices in the last few years.

Date: January 09, 2022 12:21PM

scoop85
To access the articles in the GFH, I just needed to answer the requisite survey questions about which underwear brand I may consider buying in the next three months (no, seriously).

While we’re not he subject of the media, I want to comment on the awesome production by the Midco crew. The camerawork, multiple replay angles, PBP and color work were NHL level quality. I think the PBP guy was the best I’ve heard on a college hockey telecast, and he’s surely destined for bigger things. I was especially impressed that he reacted with genuine excitement when either team scored. The color guy (who’s a former UND goalie) was insightful and balanced; his only glaring error was thinking Psenicka scored his goal from the blue line rather than on the tip-in, but he corrected himself during the highlight review at the end of the period. Both announcers were even-handed in their analysis, so much so that a poster on the UND forum (before it crashed) said something to the effect, “does anyone else think they give too much praise to the other team?”

Agreed, they were excellent. The only bad thing about the experience was the dumb-and-dumber rink noise, but that's not Midco.

Date: January 09, 2022 12:33PM

A few observations from the weekend:

— eight periods is a small sample size, but Shane more than held his own against two good offensive teams, and was especially good last night. Loved his glove hand, and even the color guy seemed surprised that UND kept testing it late in the game. Sidebar: Before last night, when he gave up 4 goals in a 5-4 OT win over Penn State, Galajda had a 1.74 GAA and a .930 save percentage this year at Notre Dame.

—- while there were a few scary moments with us being unable to clear our zone (especially last night when UND pulled the goalie), I thought our defensive structure was terrific, and we did a phenomenal job blocking shots.

—- Given how depleted we were up front, it was great to see guys like Ertel, O’Leary and Kovich step into the breech. O’Leary blew by Sanderson on last night’s breakaway; too bad he couldn’t finish it. Ertel really seems to have stepped-up his game, and we’re beginning to see why he was a 3rd round NHL draft choice.

— Andreev I thought was excellent this weekend, and I imagine a number of NHL teams will be targeting him as a free agent.

—- Among the incoming freshman I had no idea what Psenicka would bring to the table, as he didn’t have much of a track record in the USHL. But he has been a terrific offensive force, especially as a net-front presence scoring on tip-ins and screening the goaltender. I think he’s our best guy in that role since Joe Devin a decade ago.

—- Hopefully we’ll be looking back on Friday’s comeback as the springboard to a great 2nd half of the season. After the Clarkson debacle and the awful weekend as ASU, another loss Friday could have sent the season into a downward spiral. Now the team has to build on this weekend and not slip-up against weak Yale and Brown teams next week. I would expect that since Brown took us to OT in Ithaca the coaches will be reminding the players of that to avoid a letdown.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 01:19PM

Trotsky
Agreed, they were excellent. The only bad thing about the experience was the dumb-and-dumber rink noise, but that's not Midco.

What I noticed was the sound of sticks on the ice and how beautiful that was when the teams were skating back and forth. At times the flow of these games bordered on a manufactured bliss that I seldom feel when rooting for Cornell.

I think it was the expectation that there was no expectation. Cornell could go to ND's house and lose without shame. The game was, for me, strangely enjoyable.

It won't likely be that way for me for the rest of the season. My brain will be holding the stick too tightly to enjoy the hockey itself. Glad the team made this trip on many levels.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 01:20PM

my highlight of the weekend was an offense that was willing to plant near / crash the crease to take advantage of rebounds and loose pucks. I always think the Schafer offense - because it is too consistent to not be a coaching philosophy - is too reliant on looking for *the perfect shot* and endless cycling instead of looking for GOOD shots and second chances.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 01:30PM

Ben Rocky '04
Just wanted to say good morning. What a glorious morning it is.

Completely off topic here, but I saw the news story on your haunted house.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-68.myvzw.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 01:48PM

ugarte
my highlight of the weekend was an offense that was willing to plant near / crash the crease to take advantage of rebounds and loose pucks. I always think the Schafer offense - because it is too consistent to not be a coaching philosophy - is too reliant on looking for *the perfect shot* and endless cycling instead of looking for GOOD shots and second chances.

All season, I've thought this team gets pushed around more than the usual Cornell teams. We'd generate rebounds but be unable to put them away. I don't know if it was a change on our end or something on North Dakota's, but we stood firm in the crease this weekend.

Also, it was funny listening to North Dakota's announcers talking about how we're a defense-first, win 2-1 team and then put up a graphic showing we're 4th in the country in goals per game.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: January 09, 2022 02:18PM

Dafatone
ugarte

All season, I've thought this team gets pushed around more than the usual Cornell teams. We'd generate rebounds but be unable to put them away. I don't know if it was a change on our end or something on North Dakota's, but we stood firm in the crease this weekend.

Also, it was funny listening to North Dakota's announcers talking about how we're a defense-first, win 2-1 team and then put up a graphic showing we're 4th in the country in goals per game.

Prolly a little skewed from the RPI score but still cool to see

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 02:55PM

Dafatone
ugarte

I still think the team is designed to win 2-1 games, though it hasn't played any through 15 regular-season games.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 03:09PM

cbuckser
Dafatone
ugarte

I still think the team is designed to win 2-1 games, though it hasn't played any through 15 regular-season games.

Syer speaks to that issue, I think (from chn article today)

"We just continued to stay with our process and get back to what Cornell hockey is," Syer said. "We still have 14 guys that never played college game before this year, we didn't want to give them too much."

"We were able to keep some of those shots outside," Syer said. "You know you're going to give up opportunities and chances. Our guys battled with sticks down on the ice."

"Getting pucks to the net, grabbing rebounds, bounces off the boards," Syer said. "Maybe this year we got away from classic Cornell, but certainly this weekend, it was classic Cornell. We knew we needed a net presence and needed to play hard around the paint."

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 03:09PM

scoop85
Among the incoming freshman I had no idea what Psenicka would bring to the table, as he didn’t have much of a track record in the USHL. But he has been a terrific offensive force, especially as a net-front presence scoring on tip-ins and screening the goaltender. I think he’s our best guy in that role since Joe Devin a decade ago.

I particularly liked his effort, shown from above in the highlights, where he reached way to his left and almost scored. Only a great save thwarted him.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 03:35PM

French Rage
Ben Rocky '04
Just wanted to say good morning. What a glorious morning it is.

Completely off topic here, but I saw the news story on your haunted house.

Truly did not expect that to take off like it did. Local story, thought it would be funny to do. Sigh

Date: January 09, 2022 03:35PM

I would much rather be a 4-2 team than a 2-1 team. More room to recover from error.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2022 03:45PM

dbilmes
Nice sidebar article on Cody Haiskanen's homecoming weekend.

Also, a homecoming of sorts for Ian Shane, who played for the NAHL Bismarck Bobcats. Must have been quite an adjustment for him, coming from Manhattan Beach, CA.

Date: January 09, 2022 05:02PM

George64
dbilmes
Nice sidebar article on Cody Haiskanen's homecoming weekend.

Also, a homecoming of sorts for Ian Shane, who played for the NAHL Bismarck Bobcats. Must have been quite an adjustment for him, coming from Manhattan Beach, CA.
The NoDak announcers went out of their way to mention Cody and Ian's ND connections and were highly complimentary.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 08:14PM

Jim Hyla
From the Grand Forks Herald

Cornell played the game without head coach Mike Schafer, who stayed back at the hotel because he was "under the weather." Associate coach Ben Syer served as acting head coach. He's now 8-0-4 in his career as acting head coach.

Another snippet from the same article. It must be interesting to have the option of calling up a player on a week's notice.

UND could be without two forwards — Hain and Brendan Budy — for an extended period of time, leaving the Fighting Hawks with 13 healthy forwards on the roster.

Considering the second semester hasn't started yet, the Fighting Hawks could theoretically add a player this week, but Berry indicated that's a longshot.

"We did last year with Louis Jamernik," Berry said. "That was a great move there. He added right away to our group. If we do, it's got to be selective. It's got to be the right move and it's always tough taking a player from another organization halfway through the year. We haven't considered it as of now, but the semester hasn't started yet. It would have to be pretty quick. But right now, we haven't (talked about it)."

Posted by: Swampy (185.240.244.---)
Date: January 09, 2022 08:48PM

David Harding
Jim Hyla

Cornell played the game without head coach Mike Schafer, who stayed back at the hotel because he was "under the weather." Associate coach Ben Syer served as acting head coach. He's now 8-0-4 in his career as acting head coach.

Another snippet from the same article. It must be interesting to have the option of calling up a player on a week's notice.

UND could be without two forwards — Hain and Brendan Budy — for an extended period of time, leaving the Fighting Hawks with 13 healthy forwards on the roster.

Considering the second semester hasn't started yet, the Fighting Hawks could theoretically add a player this week, but Berry indicated that's a longshot.

"We did last year with Louis Jamernik," Berry said. "That was a great move there. He added right away to our group. If we do, it's got to be selective. It's got to be the right move and it's always tough taking a player from another organization halfway through the year. We haven't considered it as of now, but the semester hasn't started yet. It would have to be pretty quick. But right now, we haven't (talked about it)."

Don’t they have to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, meet requirements for their prospective majors, etc.? And do the admissions committees meet weekly at UND during winter break? Finally, there’s deciding on courses, enrolling in them, getting books, and so on. Seems like an awful lot to get done in only a week.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 09:14PM

Swampy
David Harding
Jim Hyla

Don’t they have to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, meet requirements for their prospective majors, etc.? And do the admissions committees meet weekly at UND during winter break? Finally, there’s deciding on courses, enrolling in them, getting books, and so on. Seems like an awful lot to get done in only a week.
Depends how good he is. There's no AI in the NCHC.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2022 11:59PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
David Harding
Jim Hyla

Depends how good he is. There's no AI in the NCHC.

The team undoubtedly has at least a few players who have been admitted to UND with the expectation of enrolling in the fall of 2022, quite possibly the entire freshman class. If they're playing at the junior level, having graduated from high school a year or two or three ago, they could enroll for the spring 2022 semester instead of waiting. Yes, classes start January 10, but I'll bet the academic planning could be sorted out at some schools.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2022 10:49AM

I saw on TV this morning that North Dakota currently has the second-highest per-capita COVID rate in the country, ranking only behind Tennessee. Given the number of skaters who tested positive over the past week at the US Figure Skating Championships in Nashville, I'm hoping that our men's hockey team doesn't suffer a similar fate. I was reading about how even though the figure skaters were in a bubble away from the arena, the hotel they were staying in was filled with unmasked guests they had to share a lobby and elevators with.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 10, 2022 10:52AM

dbilmes
I saw on TV this morning that North Dakota currently has the second-highest per-capita COVID rate in the country, ranking only behind Tennessee. Given the number of skaters who tested positive over the past week at the US Figure Skating Championships in Nashville, I'm hoping that our men's hockey team doesn't suffer a similar fate. I was reading about how even though the figure skaters were in a bubble away from the arena, the hotel they were staying in was filled with unmasked guests they had to share a lobby and elevators with.

still unclear how many kids were sick with flu vs covid on the team over the break. hopefully they survive the next month until the peak is over and all he kids come back to class.

We beat UND without our top 2 scorers but also playing a goalie with almost no experience. we may not have high top end guys but we seem to have a pretty good cast of depth players. we see glimpses from almost all of them at times.

Posted by: Swampy (185.240.244.---)
Date: January 10, 2022 10:50PM

upprdeck
dbilmes

still unclear how many kids were sick with flu vs covid on the team over the break. hopefully they survive the next month until the peak is over and all he kids come back to class.

We beat UND without our top 2 scorers but also playing a goalie with almost no experience. we may not have high top end guys but we seem to have a pretty good cast of depth players. we see glimpses from almost all of them at times.

+1

Date: January 11, 2022 04:18AM

And the thing about blue chippers is they tend to leave early. And I don't even know how the (make Enterprise transporter noises) Transfer Portal will affect that.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2022 07:27AM

Dafatone
billhoward
Trotsky
Holy shit.
Google the population for the Dakotas combined: enough for a minyan but the bagels are gonna be in the freezer case.

Barely. South Dakota has the fewest Jews of any state.
FWIW, I have been working on my family tree since late in 1977. ND is the only state that does not appear currently among over 50,000 people, all Jewish or of Jewish ancestry besides for some non-Jews who married into my family. As far as SD is concerned, there is one distantly related family who lived in Vermillion, just across the Nebraska border. Although I am not certain, these people probably have one grandparent born Jewish.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-66.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2022 08:25AM

ursusminor
Dafatone
billhoward
Trotsky
Holy shit.
Google the population for the Dakotas combined: enough for a minyan but the bagels are gonna be in the freezer case.

Barely. South Dakota has the fewest Jews of any state.
FWIW, I have been working on my family tree since late in 1977. ND is the only state that does not appear currently among over 50,000 people, all Jewish or of Jewish ancestry besides for some non-Jews who married into my family. As far as SD is concerned, there is one distantly related family who lived in Vermillion, just across the Nebraska border. Although I am not certain, these people probably have one grandparent born Jewish.

Vermillion is a really, really nice town. I lived there for a long time. If anyone's ever there, don't miss the National Music Museum. It's somehow a world-class collection of 17th century instruments.

Posted by: osorojo (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 12, 2022 07:59PM

After the first 10 minutes or so of the first period I can predict wide open or close-checking for the rest of the game quite well. Before the game . . . not so good. I am in awe of those who can [correctly] predict the character of a game BEFORE the puck is dropped!

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 02:35PM

Trotsky

Key to the whole thing was Shane's stop on the penalty shot.

I knew there was a penalty shot in a game this year--so this is as good a place as any to post the question--certainly not worth a new thread.

What happens if a skater is taken down by the opposition while skating to an empty net with the puck? (Of course if you've got the puck and a empty net just shoot it from center ice or something, but I think it could happen that a skater is taken down while skating towards an empty net.) Is there a "penalty shot" on an empty net, or is a goal automatically awarded?

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 03:43PM

djk26
Trotsky

I knew there was a penalty shot in a game this year--so this is as good a place as any to post the question--certainly not worth a new thread.

What happens if a skater is taken down by the opposition while skating to an empty net with the puck? (Of course if you've got the puck and a empty net just shoot it from center ice or something, but I think it could happen that a skater is taken down while skating towards an empty net.) Is there a "penalty shot" on an empty net, or is a goal automatically awarded?

That’s an automatic goal.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 03:54PM

djk26
Trotsky

The NHL rulebook:

“ Rule 25 – Awarded Goals
25.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck (or would have gained possession and control) in the neutral or attacking zone, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team”

I leave looking at the NCAA rulebook to someone else right now, but I doubt it would be different.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2022 04:00PM

RichH
djk26

The NHL rulebook:

25.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck (or would have gained possession and control) in the neutral or attacking zone, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team”

I leave looking at the NCAA rulebook to someone else right now, but I doubt it would be different.

It appears that it is. Under Rule 25 - Penalty Shot/Optional Minor Penalty, in section 3, there's this:

"If, at the time a penalty shot is awarded, the goalkeeper of the penalized
team has been removed from the ice to substitute another player, the
goalkeeper shall be permitted to return to the ice before the penalty shot
is taken."

Here's a link. It's on page 36.

Somewhere, Providence's Randy Wilson is saying, "I KNEW a shot on an empty net isn't an automatic goal!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2022 04:01PM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2022 04:14PM

Give My Regards
RichH
djk26

The NHL rulebook:

It appears that it is. Under Rule 25 - Penalty Shot/Optional Minor Penalty, in section 3, there's this:

"If, at the time a penalty shot is awarded, the goalkeeper of the penalized
team has been removed from the ice to substitute another player, the
goalkeeper shall be permitted to return to the ice before the penalty shot
is taken."

Here's a link. It's on page 36.

Somewhere, Providence's Randy Wilson is saying, "I KNEW a shot on an empty net isn't an automatic goal!"

That same wording appears in the NHL rulebook (Rule 25.2). I think that applies to a situation where a penalty shot is called, but the goalkeeper had left the ice so the team awarded a penalty shot can’t argue that the goaltender shouldn’t be out to defend. The key is any penalty shot, as there are other situations where a penalty shot may be awarded (e.g. covering the puck in the crease).

NCAA rulebook Rule 61 (page 56):
“If, when the opposing goalkeeper has been removed from the ice, a player in control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone is tripped or otherwise fouled with no opposition between him and the opposing goal, thus preventing an obvious and imminent goal, the referee shall immediately stop play and award a goal to the attacking team.
Note: “Control of the puck” is defined as the act of propelling the puck with the stick, hand or skate. If, while it is being propelled, the puck is touched by another player or that player’s equipment, hits the goal or goes free, the player shall not be considered in control of the puck (see 87.1).”

A penalty shot has NOT been awarded (a goal has) so the wording of Rule 25 isn’t applicable.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2022 04:30PM by RichH.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login