Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits 2023 and beyond

Posted by scoop85 
Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Recruits 2023 and beyond
Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2022 05:01PM

Trotsky
scoop85
“Currently committed to Cornell University…” hopefully isn’t meant to imply anything.
Yeah, I didn't like that shit one bit. But I guess it's accurate. And after a hundred years of schools fucking athletes, athletes fucking schools -- while not wonderful -- is certainly preferable.

Mark Sheifele was once "currently committed to Cornell University" before he blew up and ended up as a top-10 NHL draft pick.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 05:08PM

Trotsky
scoop85
“Currently committed to Cornell University…” hopefully isn’t meant to imply anything.
Yeah, I didn't like that shit one bit. But I guess it's accurate. And after a hundred years of schools fucking athletes, athletes fucking schools -- while not wonderful -- is certainly preferable.
A Kitchener Rangers fan has a different agenda from ours.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2022 05:15PM

Dalton Bancroft voted OJHL MVP

[ojhl.pointstreaksites.com]

NORTH YORK’S FEGARAS VOTED OJHL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
[ojhl.pointstreaksites.com]

NORTH YORK’S GEORGE FEGARAS NAMED OJHL INSTAT TOP PROSPECT
[www.pointstreaksites.com]

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2022 10:42AM

Four forwards (Betts, Locke, Motley, Bramwell), one defenseman (Haiskanen), and one goalie (McDonald) are graduating.

B. Tupker and Howe entered the transfer portal but haven’t committed anywhere (yet).

So, we are losing 4-5 F, 1 D, and 1-2 G.

We are definitely bringing in forwards Wallace, Bancroft, Donaldson, and DeSantis, and goalie Keopple.

That leaves an additional 0-1 F, 1 D, and 0-1 G to bring in to balance out the players we are losing. No one else in the pipeline screams college-ready. Cobb (F) turns 20 in May but hasn’t produced in junior hockey. Sean Mahoney (F) only played twelve games this season. Jack O’Brien (D) didn’t put up much in the way of offensive numbers this season but is probably the most likely defenseman to come next year as he turned 19 in March and is an everyday player in the BCHL. We have no other committed goalies to replace Howe if he leaves.

Then we have a ton of promising 17- and 18-year-olds, some of whom will be drafted this season or next, but most of whom have limited or no junior hockey experience. Fegaras has played a year in the OJHL and is projected as a mid-round pick in this year’s draft, however. It will be interesting to see whether the coaching staff brings in any of these players. (We are also starting to pick up some promising 16-year-olds.)

I think most likely next year’s class will consist of Wallace, Bancroft, Donaldson, DeSantis, O’Brien, Keopple. Maybe Fegaras if the coaching staff thinks they need another defenseman.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2022 10:43PM

An email from Schafer mentions that Gabriel Seger from Union will join as a transfer.

Also, Ryan McInchak, goaltender from AIC as a transfer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2022 10:44PM by blackwidow.

Posted by: jkahn (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2022 11:32PM

blackwidow
An email from Schafer mentions that Gabriel Seger from Union will join as a transfer.

Also, Ryan McInchak, goaltender from AIC as a transfer.
Seger has played 3 years for Union, but since he'd have two years of eligibility left there, I am hoping that he has two years of eligibility at Cornell, should he choose to take two years to graduate. Per his Union bio, he was a computer engineering major there. He was Union's 3rd leading scorer last year.
Per hockeydb, McInchak has played only 133 minutes over 4 games in two years at AIC. The good news is that he's only allowed one goal and has made 50 saves.

Date: May 23, 2022 11:43PM

These are Cornell’s first transfers in many years and the first of the active transfer portal era. Cornell and the Ivies not allowing grad athletes puts them at a big disadvantage at picking up transfers and I’m happy the coaching staff was able to pull this off. In particular, Seger has put up strong numbers on some bad Union teams. Based on his size (6’4), he could be more of a power forward. Between him and Winter Wallace coming in, hopefully the Red can shore up last year’s netfront weakness. The fact we have a goalie coming in indicates Howe will be transferring out (despite nothing having been announced yet as far as I know).

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2022 08:40AM

What is the sense of how good are the incoming Cornell hockey classes this fall and next? Reading the stats and end-of-season awards, every year it looks as if we're loaded and primed to reach the frozen four except that was two decades ago.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: May 24, 2022 08:56AM

BearLover
In particular, Seger has put up strong numbers on some bad Union teams. Based on his size (6’4), he could be more of a power forward.

3rd in scoring last year; 2nd in scoring his freshman year. Perhaps more importantly, he's clearly not the defensive problem on those bad Union teams.

Big kid that can score and play defense, and who will likely be around for two years? Absolutely great pickup!

Wait, did we just execute a trade with Union, considering where Ben Tupker is headed? Who's the "player to be named later?"
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2022 09:00AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-199-40.myvzw.com)
Date: May 24, 2022 09:53AM

BearLover
These are Cornell’s first transfers in many years and the first of the active transfer portal era. Cornell and the Ivies not allowing grad athletes puts them at a big disadvantage at picking up transfers and I’m happy the coaching staff was able to pull this off. In particular, Seger has put up strong numbers on some bad Union teams. Based on his size (6’4), he could be more of a power forward. Between him and Winter Wallace coming in, hopefully the Red can shore up last year’s netfront weakness. The fact we have a goalie coming in indicates Howe will be transferring out (despite nothing having been announced yet as far as I know).

I know I keep beating this drum, but we have the size to do better in front of the net. I think we had a lot of players new to this level of hockey who were used to dominating through skill alone at their previous levels. So, it'll get better through practice and experience.

I know we didn't love how last year ended, but I am very optimistic for the future, especially given just how ugly things could have gotten after the long layoff.

Date: May 24, 2022 09:55AM

Scersk '97
BearLover
In particular, Seger has put up strong numbers on some bad Union teams. Based on his size (6’4), he could be more of a power forward.

3rd in scoring last year; 2nd in scoring his freshman year. Perhaps more importantly, he's clearly not the defensive problem on those bad Union teams.

Big kid that can score and play defense, and who will likely be around for two years? Absolutely great pickup!

Wait, did we just execute a trade with Union, considering where Ben Tupker is headed? Who's the "player to be named later?"

Seger should fit right in with and should be a very effective player in our system.

Date: May 24, 2022 12:11PM

billhoward
What is the sense of how good are the incoming Cornell hockey classes this fall and next? Reading the stats and end-of-season awards, every year it looks as if we're loaded and primed to reach the frozen four except that was two decades ago.

While I'm not 100% sure who's part of this year's class--I'm going by CHN's list, which seems to include a couple of guys who I didn't expect to be coming in this year--overall I'd say it's a solid class, probably average to above average compared with recent classes.

The goalie, Remington Koepple, had decent numbers (3.06 GAA, .893 sv pct.) playing for a weak team in the top-level USHL. Assuming Howe is gone, Koepple should be in the mix for PT, with Shane the clear favorite to start as the #1.

According to CHN, Marian Mosko and Jack O'Brien are the new defensemen coming in. I am expecting Mosko to play one more year in juniors, but if he is coming in he's a talented kid from Slovakia who will likely be a mid to late round NHL draft pick. O'Brien is a solid defenseman out of the BCHL who probably won't be as much of an offensive threat as Mosko.

Up front the guys who seem sure to be coming in are Bancroft, Cobb, DeSantis, Donaldson, and Winter. Luke Devlin and Charlie Major are listed on CHN, but I don't think either of them is coming this fall. Of the others, Donaldson and Bancroft put up lots of points in the BCHL and OJHL respectively, with Bancroft named his league MVP and Donaldson as a finalist for the BCHL MVP. DeSantis and Winter put up decent but not spectacular numbers in the USHL and should be contributors at the college level. Cobb has struggled in the juniors since moving on from prep school, and is likely going to be a depth guy. But Alex Rauter had a similar junior history as Cobb, and he turned out to be a much better college player than his junior numbers would have predicted.

Date: May 24, 2022 12:52PM

a) nice summary, thank you

b) you make this sound so upbeat (like the recommendation of a guidance counselor who likes you a lot): "Cobb has struggled in the juniors since moving on from prep school, and is likely going to be a depth guy."

c) how does a kid named Jack O'Brien not wind up at BC or, please no, Notre Dame?

c) So for 2022-2023 goalies we have: Ian Shane returning, started half our games, new Remington Keopple
(Des Moines Buccaneers), new Ryan McInchak (AIC transfer), is there a fourth? Departing are Nate McDonald (was senior; maybe going to Michigan State) and freshman Joe Howe? But then we made the 1970 championship run with one goaltender, Brian Cropper, and one about-to-be All-America lacrosse goaltender, Bob Rule, who learned how to lace on skates.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: May 24, 2022 02:28PM

Scersk '97
Who's the "player to be named later?"

Harry Chiti

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 24, 2022 03:35PM

billhoward

c) how does a kid named Jack O'Brien not wind up at BC or, please no, Notre Dame?

Grades?

Date: June 01, 2022 07:01PM

Schafer says in the same email that next year’s class will consist of forwards Wallace, DeSantis, Bancroft, and Donaldson, defenseman O’Brien, and goalie Keopple. Together with incoming transfers at forward and goalie, that exactly offsets the graduating seniors and players transferring out (assuming Howe ultimately transfers somewhere).

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2022 12:37PM

Elite Prospects [www.eliteprospects.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 12:38PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2022 01:48PM

mensch... nudnik... mensch... nudnik

Date: June 12, 2022 04:54PM

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2022 05:24PM

Actually the announcement from last year when he committed to West Kilowna.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2022 06:16PM

The second French Canadian Jew after Duddy Kravitz (if you have never seen that movie drop everything and see it immediately, Richard Drefuss' finest role which is a high bar.)

His Elite page. We won't be hurting for goalies, anyway.

Let's hope he's The Chosen.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 06:19PM by Trotsky.

Date: June 12, 2022 06:20PM

In passing, this was the most recent name added to Elite. I demand we immediately recruit him just for the name.

Date: June 12, 2022 07:50PM

Trotsky
The second French Canadian Jew after Duddy Kravitz (if you have never seen that movie drop everything and see it immediately, Richard Drefuss' finest role which is a high bar.)
His Elite page. We won't be hurting for goalies, anyway.
Let's hope he's The Chosen.
One of the best-known refs of 40 years ago was Percy Shore, of the Tribe, often partnered with Giles Threadgold. When Percy departed this world to see about Commandments 11-15 being real or not, his grandson tracked me down, asked if I could send a short college hockey remembrance because he'd been elected to the Ontario Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and "I know what you're thinking. Yes, there is an Ontario Jewish Sports Hall of Fame."
#MazelTough

Date: June 12, 2022 07:51PM

Trotsky
In passing, this was the most recent name added to Elite. I demand we immediately recruit him just for the name.
And when he blocks a slapshot with his cup ____.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: July 06, 2022 09:20AM

The Athletic has an article (with a paywall) where one of their NHL experts rates the top 131 prospects for the upcoming NHL draft. The only one with an ECAC connection is Ben McDonald, No. 79 on his list, who is committed to Harvard. The majority of the players listed are either European or playing major junior hockey in Canada, but three of them are committed to Boston University, which means we may see them at MSG next year. Only the University of Minnesota, with four commits on the list, has more.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2022 12:16PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2022 11:09AM

Think the Harvard recruit is Ben MacDonald, who’s dad is former Harvard player Lane MacDonald.

Date: July 06, 2022 01:41PM

Looking at various 7-round mock drafts, Fegaras seems a shoe-in to be drafted, probably in the 4th-5th round. Liam Steele may be a 6th-7th round guy, while Luke Devlin, who seemed likely to be drafted earlier this year, now appear to be a fringe 7th round guy. Mosko’s drafting picture seems the most muddled, as I’ve seen him as high as the 4th round to not being drafted at all.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.pennnet.nat.upenn.edu)
Date: July 08, 2022 01:49PM

George Fegaras drafted 83rd overall, the highest in the ECAC this year.

Ben MacDonald (Harvard, 91st) 3rd round

Daimon Gardner (Clarkson, 113rd), Ryan Healey (Harvard, 121st) 4th round

Matthew Morden (Harvard, 131st), Michael Callow (Harvard, 154th) 5th round

Posted by: scoop85 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2022 01:55PM

blackwidow

Luke Devlin just selected #182 (6th round) by the Penguins

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-2.myvzw.com)
Date: July 08, 2022 01:59PM

scoop85
blackwidow

Luke Devlin just selected #182 (6th round) by the Penguins

I really hope we get to keep Fegaras (pray emoji)

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2022 08:01PM

What teams picked them up?

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2022 10:07PM

Fegaras went to Dallas.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2022 02:10AM

billhoward

And when he blocks a slapshot with his cup ____.

I've done that! It's quite a memorable experience!

-Ned Harkness

Date: July 10, 2022 09:51PM

Follow-up tweet says Walsh is headed to Ithaca this fall.

I’d be surprised if this is due to Ertel’s departure, since we seemed to have adequate forward depth even without him. Andreev is now on the 22-23 roster, so Walsh wouldn’t be needed to fill that void.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 10:07PM by scoop85.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sub-174-198-144.myvzw.com)
Date: July 10, 2022 10:17PM

I imagine CR is Cedar Rapids and he’s going to play a year in the USHL

Date: July 10, 2022 11:30PM

pfibiger
I imagine CR is Cedar Rapids and he’s going to play a year in the USHL

Well, that makes more sense. Someone needs to tell Bitely that Twitter hasn’t been limited to 140 characters for awhile :-P

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.220.---)
Date: July 12, 2022 12:43PM

CAS
Think the Harvard recruit is Ben MacDonald, who’s dad is former Harvard player Lane MacDonald.
Amazing how much taller he is than his dad. I met Lane a few times when he was at Alta Communications (PE fund). Super nice guy. I think he mentioned he married a Cornell grad who is a Cornell hockey fan?

Date: July 12, 2022 06:04PM

RatushnyFan
CAS
Amazing how much taller he is than his dad. I met Lane a few times when he was at Alta Communications (PE fund). Super nice guy. I think he mentioned he married a Cornell grad who is a Cornell hockey fan?
Not the first time he fucked us.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: July 13, 2022 06:58PM

Trotsky
RatushnyFan
CAS

:-D Nice

Lane MacDonald was a "former Harvard player" in the same sense that Wayne Gretzky was a former Edmonton Oiler. It kind of misses the point. MacDonald won a Hobey and a National Championship with the Crimson.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: July 14, 2022 12:23AM

Roy 82
Lane MacDonald was a "former Harvard player" in the same sense that Wayne Gretzky was a former Edmonton Oiler. It kind of misses the point. MacDonald won a Hobey and a National Championship with the Crimson.

Good fairy tale. I don't believe for a second that any of what you wrote actually ever happened. Especially the part where you compared a Cantab with Wayne Gretzky.

Date: July 14, 2022 05:10AM

Roy 82
Trotsky
RatushnyFan
CAS

:-D Nice

That 1989 Harvard team was spectacular.

Date: July 19, 2022 04:34PM

Here's one that got away...I hadn't heard this story before.

[soogreyhounds.com]

Date: July 19, 2022 05:29PM

abmarks

[soogreyhounds.com]

Yep, I believe he would've been in my class. I think his best friend from home was Mark Canduro, who I seem to recall had gotten Francis interested in Cornell. While Canduro was a nice college player, he sure wasn't Ron Francis.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: July 19, 2022 07:18PM

abmarks

[soogreyhounds.com]
Ron's interest in Cornell continued though, as his daughter did go to Cornell. That was instrumental in his trading to Edmonton for the rights to Riley Nash, as Ron (Carolina GM at the time) had seen Riley play several games at Lynah.

Date: August 23, 2022 08:48AM

New recruit: He’s not yet 17 and already 6’3”. Hamilton will be playing this season for Omaha in the USHL.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2022 11:37AM

Another bit of hockey trivia — Eddy Ambis ‘72, my former dentist and hockey spark-plug at 5’7”, also attended Nichols.

Date: August 23, 2022 04:01PM

scoop85
New recruit: He’s not yet 17 and already 6’3”. Hamilton will be playing this season for Omaha in the USHL.

Looks like he skates pretty well, too, considering his size. This vid is from 2020 season so he's all of 14 in it.

[www.ncsasports.org]#

Date: August 23, 2022 06:10PM

George64
Another bit of hockey trivia — Eddy Ambis ‘72, my former dentist and hockey spark-plug at 5’7”, also attended Nichols.

My records show Ambis as Kimball Union Academy, is that wrong?

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 06:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 24, 2022 09:27AM

Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

I’m relying on my memory, which at 80 leaves something to be desired, but I remember a Buffalo-area prep school. I could be wrong, I’ll check further.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 09:41AM

George64
Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

I’m relying on my memory, which at 80 leaves something to be desired, but I remember a Buffalo-area prep school. I could be wrong, I’ll check further.
Cornell roster says Kimball Union.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2022 10:59AM

Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

Also Matt Connors if I remember correctly.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 11:55AM

Al DeFlorio
George64
Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

I recall Ambis being from Nichols also. Perhaps he transferred to Kimball Union to play at a different level before Cornell.

Date: August 24, 2022 05:16PM

pfibiger
Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

Also Matt Connors if I remember correctly.

I've got Apple Core (EJHL) for Matt so he may well have been Nichols.

Edit: Yup, very good memory!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2022 05:17PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (12.144.29.---)
Date: August 25, 2022 09:12AM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio
George64
Trotsky
George64

Also Nichols:
'50 John Brady
'60 Lane Montesano
'62 Jim Lytle
'65 Dick Adams
'91 Tim Vanini
'92 Phil Nobel
'98 Jason Dailey

I recall Ambis being from Nichols also. Perhaps he transferred to Kimball Union to play at a different level before Cornell.

Hey George - that memory is pretty good. I found this online. Nichols clains Ed as one of its alums:
[www.nicholsschool.org]

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2022 11:14AM

Maybe Cornell scouts should look for aspiring politicians who dabble in hockey? The last one we had like that was a doozie!

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: August 25, 2022 12:41PM

osorojo
Maybe Cornell scouts should look for aspiring politicians who dabble in hockey? The last one we had like that was a doozie!

The author you refer to just wrote a new book:

[www.cbc.ca]

Date: August 26, 2022 03:04PM

According to Heisenberg, Hudson Gorski for 2025. [www.eliteprospects.com]

Date: August 26, 2022 03:41PM

ursusminor

Another large defenseman--6'3" as a 16-year-old

Posted by: abmarks (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 26, 2022 08:32PM

scoop85
ursusminor

Another large defenseman--6'3" as a 16-year-old

6'4" actually

Posted by: Pghas (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 06:26PM

Just an update on a 2023 recruit Tyler Wishart. Joined and Suited up this weekend for the Nanaimo Clippers after being Kimball Union’s leading scorer last season. He’s from our area - speed, skill, instant offense. You are gonna love him.

Date: October 04, 2022 07:13PM

Pghas
Just an update on a 2023 recruit Tyler Wishart. Joined and Suited up this weekend for the Nanaimo Clippers after being Kimball Union’s leading scorer last season. He’s from our area - speed, skill, instant offense. You are gonna love him.
Thank you!

Date: October 04, 2022 07:29PM

I just went through our Commitments' Elite Prospects pages and updated their teams and weights on TBRW. Several of them put on 20 pounds since their original announcement. Katz was the only one who grew taller, by two inches.

Date: October 04, 2022 09:17PM

Trotsky
I just went through our Commitments' Elite Prospects pages and updated their teams and weights on TBRW. Several of them put on 20 pounds since their original announcement. Katz was the only one who grew taller, by two inches.
Hopefully real not stat sheet pounds. Go training table!!!

Date: October 04, 2022 09:42PM

billhoward
Trotsky
Hopefully real not stat sheet pounds. Go training table!!!
I think these are more aging 17 to 19 pounds.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2022 08:33PM

Scersk '97
BearLover

Tupker scored for union tonight in am ot loss to uconn.

Date: December 01, 2022 05:49PM

A new commitment, defenseman Hoyt Stanley from the Victoria Grizzlies of the BCHL. He's a "C" rated prospect in the NHL mid-term rankings. He doesn't turn 18 until February, and appears to be on track to arrive in 2024.

He's got good size and has put up 14 points in 22 games from the blueline. Looks like an excellent prospect.

Date: December 02, 2022 07:02AM

A 6 foot ginger defenseman from BC. Are we sure that isn't Chad Wilson?

Date: December 03, 2022 10:22AM

Date: December 03, 2022 11:04AM

ursusminor

We appear to be loading up on quality defensemen

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 10:54PM

scoop85
ursusminor

We appear to be loading up on quality defensemen

I hope so. His statement looks vague. Did he accept the opportunity to commit?

Date: December 04, 2022 11:43PM

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: December 05, 2022 10:44PM

Potomac Falls?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 06, 2022 08:42PM

French Rage

Potomac Falls?
A Nanaimo player from Pound Ridge, NY?

Date: December 06, 2022 08:51PM

French Rage

Potomac Falls?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 07:25AM

Trotsky
French Rage

Potomac Falls?

I thought of Frostbite Falls. Maybe he couldn't get into Whatsamatta U?

Date: December 07, 2022 08:49AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Maybe he couldn't get into Whatsamatta U?

Wossamotta. Also, I learned a new word today: mondegreen.

Date: December 07, 2022 11:35AM

Trotsky
Also, I learned a new word today: mondegreen.
Thank you for adding to our fund of knowledge.

"Louie, Louie" has been misheard for one year less than the Ivy League has formally existed.

We could also coin the phrase "Wendover."

Date: December 07, 2022 01:14PM

Trotsky
Also, I learned a new word today: mondegreen.

As a kid, I enjoyed watching comedian Red “Skeleton” on our 15 inch black and white TV.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2022 02:40PM

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 13, 2022 04:40PM

does 2006 mean thats when he was born?

Date: December 13, 2022 05:15PM

upprdeck
does 2006 mean thats when he was born?

Yep

Posted by: Pghas (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2022 03:07PM

ugarte
French Rage

Potomac Falls?

yep. Tyler is from Pound Ridge - played for John Jay HS, Westchester Express, then was leading scorer at Kimball Union last year. Great player.

Aidan Cobb also no longer committed.

Date: December 19, 2022 04:35PM

Pghas
ugarte
French Rage

Potomac Falls?

yep. Tyler is from Pound Ridge - played for John Jay HS, Westchester Express, then was leading scorer at Kimball Union last year. Great player.

Aidan Cobb also no longer committed.

Cobb junior career never seemed to truly get off the ground, so that doesn't surprise me.

Date: December 20, 2022 10:16AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Maybe he couldn't get into Whatsamatta U?

Wossamotta. Also, I learned a new word today: mondegreen.

My 4-year-old granddaughter coined the word “hanitizer” (meaning “hand sanitizer”) during the peak of the pandemic. I thought it was just a neologism, but I guess I was wrong.

Date: December 20, 2022 02:17PM

hanitizer isn't a mondegreen. a mondegreen is a misheard lyric (or, in the original, line of poetry) like thinking Jimi Hendrix is singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" or Elton John asked Tony Danza to hold him closer.

Date: December 20, 2022 03:10PM

ugarte
hanitizer isn't a mondegreen. a mondegreen is a misheard lyric (or, in the original, line of poetry) like thinking Jimi Hendrix is singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" or Elton John asked Tony Danza to hold him closer.

So, it can't just be a misheard term; it has to be from song or poetry?

Date: December 20, 2022 03:17PM

Swampy
My 4-year-old granddaughter coined the word “hanitizer” (meaning “hand sanitizer”) during the peak of the pandemic. I thought it was just a neologism, but I guess I was wrong.
Alt: Newscaster on non-center-leaning network recasting the news to make his favorite politicians cleaner.

That would be one precocious granddaughter.

Date: December 20, 2022 03:46PM

Swampy
ugarte

So, it can't just be a misheard term; it has to be from song or poetry?
yes, but also... more like it's a strange term to apply to a four year old who lacks the age and experience to have had a chance of getting it right.

Date: December 20, 2022 03:46PM

billhoward
Swampy
Alt: Newscaster on non-center-leaning network recasting the news to make his favorite politicians cleaner.

you are describing a sniglet

Date: December 20, 2022 11:31PM

billhoward
Swampy

Well, now she’s six and in first grade, reading at about third grade level, so I’d agree with you. But I assumed she came up with hanitizer when she heard “sanitizer” but was unfamiliar with sanitariness, knew it was for hands, and assumed the word was “hanitizer” because one uses it on their hands.

This would not be a singlet, as I understand the term.

Date: December 20, 2022 11:31PM

billhoward
Swampy

Well, now she’s six and in first grade, reading at about third grade level, so I’d agree with you. But I assumed she came up with hanitizer when she heard “sanitizer” but was unfamiliar with sanitariness, knew it was for hands, and assumed the word was “hanitizer” because one uses it on their hands.

Date: December 21, 2022 01:57AM

Swampy
billhoward
Swampy

bill's alternate definition of hanitizer was the sniglet

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2022 08:47AM

hanitizer is a wonderful Portmanteau. Tell Webster's, they will love it.

Date: December 21, 2022 06:24PM

nshapiro
hanitizer is a wonderful Portmanteau. Tell Webster's, they will love it.

Right. But as I understand it, a sniglet is deliberately chosen because a more suitable word does not already exist.

I agree that "hanitizer" is a better term than "hand sanitizer." So, as far as I'm concerned "hanitizer" qualifies as a sniglet.

But my granddaughter created the word, and she did not even know another term, the official "hand sanitizer," even existed. Instead, she heard the term, cognitively processed it through her understanding that it means something that cleans hands, and therefore believed the original term she heard was actually "hanitizer." So, for her it is not a sniglet.

This seems more akin to a mondegreen, except it doesn't involve song or poetry, a condition ugarte says is necessary.

Is there a term for a word a child makes up because it resembles an adult term they've heard but makes more sense in the context of the child's understanding of the world?

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2022 12:20PM

Vows of "commitment" whether in sports or government or business or matrimony have suffered from greatly reduced expectations - and results.

Posted by: scoop85 (207.251.91.---)
Date: December 25, 2022 11:35AM

New recruit

He's a smaller forward from Rochester who apparently plays bigger than his size. Has been on a scoring tear in the USHL. As a 2003 birth year, I assume he'll be coming this fall.

Date: December 25, 2022 03:27PM

scoop85
New Recruit

He's a smaller forward from Rochester who apparently plays bigger than his size. Has been on a scoring tear in the USHL. As a 2003 birth year, I assume he'll be coming this fall.

“Mentally tough,” RoughRiders Coach Mark Carlson said. “He didn’t play for awhile, for a month or so, but we got him in the lineup, and his energy, his tenacity, have been great. He’s a mentally tough player. There is a lot that guys can take from his game.”

One is his ability to play effectively despite being a smaller player. Kraft is listed at 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds.

He gets around that by being a good skater with solid puck skills, and not being afraid to tussle with bigger opponents.

“A lot of coaches that I’ve played for and talked to say I play bigger than what I actually am,” he said. “The mentality there is probably the biggest thing. Going into a battle knowing that it doesn’t matter if you’re 6-5 or 5-7, 5-8, you are going to come out with the puck. That kind of mentality is the biggest thing.”

Also this, fwiw these days:

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2022 04:31PM

abmarks
scoop85
New Recruit

“Mentally tough,” RoughRiders Coach Mark Carlson said. “He didn’t play for awhile, for a month or so, but we got him in the lineup, and his energy, his tenacity, have been great. He’s a mentally tough player. There is a lot that guys can take from his game.”

One is his ability to play effectively despite being a smaller player. Kraft is listed at 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds.

He gets around that by being a good skater with solid puck skills, and not being afraid to tussle with bigger opponents.

“A lot of coaches that I’ve played for and talked to say I play bigger than what I actually am,” he said. “The mentality there is probably the biggest thing. Going into a battle knowing that it doesn’t matter if you’re 6-5 or 5-7, 5-8, you are going to come out with the puck. That kind of mentality is the biggest thing.”

Also this, fwiw these days:

Over under on him being 5-6 1/2?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2022 12:50AM

marty

The NHL CSB confirms heights and weights for USHL players. [ushl.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2022 08:45AM

ursusminor
marty

The NHL CSB confirms heights and weights for USHL players. [ushl.com]

OK, so 5-6 3/4.

Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login