Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits 2023 and beyond

Posted by scoop85 
Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Recruits 2023 and beyond
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 06:39PM

Charlie Major, a 17-year-old forward from up the road in Skaneateles, committed to the Big Red today. He’s currently playing in the U-18 circuit, and has been drafted by the Chicago Steel of the USHL.

Re: Recruits 2023 and beyond
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 07:19PM

scoop85
Charlie Major, a 17-year-old forward from up the road in Skaneateles, committed to the Big Red today.

He was born in Skaneateles, but apparently attends Bishop Kearny HS in Irondequoit, north of Rochester.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-133.myvzw.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 10:11PM

Presumably related, though apparently not the son of, Coach’s teammate, Mark Major ‘87 also from that town.

Posted by: The Rancor (98.51.3.---)
Date: December 22, 2021 04:36PM

"Major!" (points)
"Asshole!" (points to opponent)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2021 04:36PM by The Rancor.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2022 08:40AM

Here's one well "beyond:" [youtu.be]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2022 11:43AM

Al DeFlorio
Here's one well "beyond:" [youtu.be]

It's amazing how many who have commented on that video in the last few weeks obviously did not bother to check on where Wahlstrom is now. He probably won't become a superstar in the NHL, but he should stick around for a decade or so. He might have have become an All American in the NCAA had he not been one-and-done at BC.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2022 07:08AM

Some of our recruits are putting up big numbers in junior hockey. Dalton Bancroft is leading the OJHL in points/game. Sean Donaldson is leading the BCHL in goals scored. Nick DeSantis is averaging a pt/game in the USHL. Think all 3 of these recruits are coming in the fall.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 07:11AM by CAS.

Date: January 11, 2022 01:40PM

CAS
Some of our recruits are putting up big numbers in junior hockey. Dalton Bancroft is leading the OJHL in points/game. Sean Donaldson is leading the BCHL in goals scored. Nick DeSantis is averaging a pt/game in the USHL. Think all 3 of these recruits are coming in the fall.

They’ll all be 20 or 21 when they arrive in Ithaca, so they should be able to contribute right away at the college level.

Date: January 12, 2022 11:27PM

Nice representation for Cornell commits on the NHL mid-season draft rankings for North American skaters:

Liam Steele — 83
George Fegaras — 91
Marian Mosko — 164
Luke Devlin —- 202

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2022 12:44AM

i love our current frosh class tbh so if we really build back after The Lost Team so quickly I will be so goddamn happy

Posted by: Swampy (185.240.244.---)
Date: January 13, 2022 11:30AM

ugarte
i love our current frosh class tbh so if we really build back after The Lost Team so quickly I will be so goddamn happy

The four scoop85 mentions are slated for 2023; the three CAS mentions, 2022. Although Heisenberg says Devlin may enroll for 2022. So, we may have to wait a bit longer.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2022 02:29PM

Swampy
ugarte

The four scoop85 mentions are slated for 2023; the three CAS mentions, 2022. Although Heisenberg says Devlin may enroll for 2022. So, we may have to wait a bit longer.

Three of the 2023 commits who are on the NHL mid-season rankings are defensemen, so our future on the blueline looks strong. And while the 3 forwards CAS mentioned who are coming next fall are unlikely to be drafted based on their age, their stellar production at the Junior A level indicates that all have the makings to be highly productive college forwards.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 08:42AM by scoop85.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2022 08:25PM

Coach Schafer, quoted by Adam Woden, talking about Ian Shane but clearly applicable in general
True hockey sense in all situations is the hardest thing to know about a player. You don't really know what you have until you see him (in college games). I didn't know the true extent. You try to understand it by watching video, but in recruiting you get fooled — some kids show more hockey sense, or some have a lot less than you thought.
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 13, 2022 11:32PM

its the same in every sport.. some kids just know where to be and when to be there. Almost impossible to coach it into kids no matter the sport.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2022 08:17AM

David Harding
Coach Schafer, quoted by Adam Woden, talking about Ian Shane but clearly applicable in general
True hockey sense in all situations is the hardest thing to know about a player. You don't really know what you have until you see him (in college games). I didn't know the true extent. You try to understand it by watching video, but in recruiting you get fooled — some kids show more hockey sense, or some have a lot less than you thought.
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

I think the above quote is actually referring to Psenicka. Schafer did have something similar to say about Shane, though:

CHN article
"The other guys looked more consistent in practice (to start the season), but practice is a weird animal," Schafer said. "His game was getting sharper, but we were winning with those other guys. ... But when we went down 3-0 at Arizona State, I'd seen the other guys and hadn't seen (Shane) in a game situation. We threw him in there and just like any other athlete, he capitalized. We're fortunate in facing adveristy that we found out somehting about him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 08:18AM by Weder.

Date: January 15, 2022 01:49AM

Weder

I think the above quote is actually referring to Psenicka. Schafer did have something similar to say about Shane, though:
You're right.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2022 05:18PM

I was surprised by this last night: Cornell skated one player short despite being at home and having two unused freshmen listed on the roster: Jimmy Rayhill (D) and Dan McIntyre (F).

Are we sure those guys are really here yet, or have they been pushed back a year?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2022 05:19PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 06, 2022 05:29PM

Trotsky
I was surprised by this last night: Cornell skated one player short despite being at home and having two unused freshmen listed on the roster: Jimmy Rayhill (D) and Dan McIntyre (F).

Are we sure those guys are really here yet, or have they been pushed back a year?

They’re both on the roster

Posted by: ACM (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2022 05:30PM

Trotsky

How is 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 3 goalies "one player short"?

Date: February 06, 2022 06:04PM

ACM
Trotsky

How is 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 3 goalies "one player short"?

It's not. Saturday lines I saw had 18, not 19.

We lost Ertel and Lagerstrom and gained Muzyka and... who?

Edit: Motley. Huh.

OK, good. (I mean, maybe not good if our two frosh were not good enough to jump over Muzyka who seemed to be given a nice reward for his years of blooming in the desert and wasting his sweetness on the desert air.)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2022 06:07PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2022 09:18PM

Don’t know about Rayhill but can report that McIntyre is alive and well on north campus. My first year daughter met him. Aside from ability issues, the fact that he’s in AAP may be an issue preventing him from getting in the lineup. In my day, the one architect on the team supposedly missed too many practices to get in games, though he was good when given a chance. More importantly, now a successful architect.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-243-112.myvzw.com)
Date: February 06, 2022 09:44PM

arugula
Don’t know about Rayhill but can report that McIntyre is alive and well on north campus. My first year daughter met him. Aside from ability issues, the fact that he’s in AAP may be an issue preventing him from getting in the lineup. In my day, the one architect on the team supposedly missed too many practices to get in games, though he was good when given a chance. More importantly, now a successful architect.

I once ran into an architecture student around midnight freshman year who was getting lunch somewhere. Lunch.

Date: February 06, 2022 09:46PM

Dafatone
arugula

I once ran into an architecture student around midnight freshman year who was getting lunch somewhere. Lunch.
don't know if they still do it but they used to have "going away" parties for frosh architects on the last day of orientation week.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2022 10:03PM

ugarte
Dafatone
arugula
don't know if they still do it but they used to have "going away" parties for frosh architects on the last day of orientation week.
Frank Lloyd Wright
'A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.'

Date: February 07, 2022 07:07AM

Mitch Gillam was in AA&P, and he didn't have any trouble breaking into the lineup.

Date: February 07, 2022 08:36AM

ACM
Mitch Gillam was in AA&P, and he didn't have any trouble breaking into the lineup.
Also Webb Nichols, 60 years ago...a different era of Cornell hockey.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 07, 2022 12:20PM

IIRC Gillam was in Urban and Regional Studies. I would imagine it's a bit harder for an Architecture student to do any athletics given the academic demands and emphasis on studio time (not to mention other things such as the semester in Rome). For whatever reason, McIntyre's player profile only shows the college (AAP) and not the major, but I'd be surprised if he were in Architecture given what I know about the program and having known quite a few of those students when I was at Cornell.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2022 12:20PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: February 07, 2022 12:43PM

Could be right. Do AAP students declare majors immediately? The guy from my time was definitely an architect, not a planner or something else, so he played a lot less than his talents would've suggested.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: February 07, 2022 12:47PM

[youtu.be]

Mitch Gillam. Just thought you'd enjoy this.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2022 02:55PM

arugula
[youtu.be]

Was pretty sure I knew what this was going to be before looking. :)

Thanks!

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2022 03:28PM

Iceberg
IIRC Gillam was in Urban and Regional Studies. I would imagine it's a bit harder for an Architecture student to do any athletics given the academic demands and emphasis on studio time (not to mention other things such as the semester in Rome). For whatever reason, McIntyre's player profile only shows the college (AAP) and not the major, but I'd be surprised if he were in Architecture given what I know about the program and having known quite a few of those students when I was at Cornell.

When Webb Nichols ‘63, played, there were only two UG programs, Architecture and Fine Arts, in what was then the College of Architecture. In the late 60s, the college was renamed Architecture, Art and Planning, to reflect the growing prominence of the graduate planning program and fine arts. I started out in Architecture before transferring to Arts and Sciences, so I can attest to how time consuming the program was and, I assume, still is. UG programs in Urban and Regional Studies and Real Estate were added much, much later.

BTW, basketball star, the late Steve Cram ‘66, was an architecture major.

Date: February 07, 2022 03:32PM

arugula
[youtu.be]
Brings back many memories including: All those years the video guy was a little slow to pan with the puck.

Date: February 07, 2022 03:57PM

George64
Iceberg

When Webb Nichols ‘63, played, there were only two UG programs, Architecture and Fine Arts, in what was then the College of Architecture. In the late 60s, the college was renamed Architecture, Art and Planning, to reflect the growing prominence of the graduate planning program and fine arts. I started out in Architecture before transferring to Arts and Sciences, so I can attest to how time consuming the program was and, I assume, still is. UG programs in Urban and Regional Studies and Real Estate were added much, much later.

BTW, basketball star, the late Steve Cram ‘66, was an architecture major.
Webb still working here in the Boston area.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2022 04:48PM

I didn’t meet a single architecture student my entire time at Cornell.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2022 08:13PM

A girl I went to high school with was in architecture. I saw her at Fun In The Sun during freshman year orientation week, and never saw her again. I did see that she graduated the year after I did from the 5 year program, so she was there.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2022 09:33PM

CU2007

You apparently never wandered into Sibley Hall after midnight on the eve of a project submission. Back in 1960, the freshman architecture class had 60 students, out of, I think, about 1300 freshmen.

Date: February 07, 2022 11:59PM

George64
CU2007

You apparently never wandered into Sibley Hall after midnight on the eve of a project submission. Back in 1960, the freshman architecture class had 60 students, out of, I think, about 1300 freshmen.

Rand Hall after midnight, 1980's before the rot set in. Quite a place.

Recruits 2023 and beyond
Posted by: Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2022 09:19PM

If memory serves Keith Howie class of 1987 was an architect.

Date: February 08, 2022 11:28PM

Rockey
If memory serves Keith Howie class of 1987 was an architect.
Yes, per the alumni directory.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-139.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2022 12:08PM

That’s the guy I was referring to. The scuttle it was that he missed too much practice so Lou Reycroft wouldn’t play him. Very fast attacking player. Smallish

Date: February 09, 2022 06:55PM

More on Keith Howie.

Date: February 09, 2022 11:04PM

ACM
More on Keith Howie.
insanely cool to be able to be an architect and stay in hockey his whole life

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2022 05:21PM

George64
scoop85
Charlie Major, a 17-year-old forward from up the road in Skaneateles, committed to the Big Red today.

He was born in Skaneateles, but apparently attends Bishop Kearny HS in Irondequoit, north of Rochester.
My son plays on the same team. Charlie is a great player. Excellent hockey sense. Consistent scorer.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 12:57AM

CAS

Update:
  • Bancroft is #2 in the OJHL: 2 pts behind the leader, but he has played 3 fewer games.
  • Donaldson is 4th in BCHL goals, but he’s played 5 & 6 fewer games than the #2 & #3. He’s 6th in points, but then again, all but the #1 (Matthew Wood, a UConn commit) have played many more games.
  • DeSantis has cooled off a bit: down to 0,84 pts/game and ranking 32 among USHL scoring leaders.

Posted by: Redpucks1! (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 09:57PM

New Cornell commit! Winter Wallace of the Youngstown Phantoms. Big right winger (6’3” 215) who was previously committed to Michigan State. I assume he is coming in this fall.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-240-197.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 10:50PM

Redpucks1!
New Cornell commit! Winter Wallace of the Youngstown Phantoms. Big right winger (6’3” 215) who was previously committed to Michigan State. I assume he is coming in this fall.

Huge, nice

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-243-113.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 11:04PM

Redpucks1!

What a name.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2022 11:36PM

Dafatone
Redpucks1!

What a name.

FREEDOM!!!!!

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 07, 2022 11:47PM

Dafatone
Redpucks1!

What a name.

At that size, I think it's safe to assume he's not a Snowflake......

Date: March 08, 2022 07:49AM

Winter is coming.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2022 05:46PM

Trotsky
Winter is coming.

+1

Date: March 08, 2022 07:24PM

Hey RatushnyFan - quick question for you. You said that your son plays on the same team as Charlie Major meaning the BK Selects U18’s. I believe one time you said you were from New Jersey and checking the BK roster it’s pretty easy to tell who your son is. He must be damn good if he’s playing for BK, that’s a great team and organization. If I’ve got the right player (I certainly could be wrong)he’s a big defenseman, a valuable commodity. Has he gotten any D1 looks? Is Cornell on his wish list? Dan Ratushny is one of my all-time favorite Cornell players - if he’s anything like him I hope to see him in a CU uniform in the future!!!!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.221.---)
Date: March 10, 2022 11:25AM

You've got the right team and the right kid. My son is a great hockey player. Ironically he is seeing some interest from two other ECAC teams but no commitments yet. He'll be playing juniors next year, not 100% sure yet. Cornell would definitely be on the wish list but we haven't heard from them. Dan Ratushny was my favorite player by far. My son has a similar game. Good offensive defenseman, big and hits hard.

Date: March 10, 2022 01:01PM

RatushnyFan
You've got the right team and the right kid. My son is a great hockey player. Ironically he is seeing some interest from two other ECAC teams but no commitments yet. He'll be playing juniors next year, not 100% sure yet. Cornell would definitely be on the wish list but we haven't heard from them. Dan Ratushny was my favorite player by far. My son has a similar game. Good offensive defenseman, big and hits hard.

I hope the Cornell coaches show some love for one of our own!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.221.---)
Date: March 10, 2022 01:57PM

It's all good. To be honest, it is so competitive, it's mostly about finding the right fit. All of these kids, including mine, have been skating since they were 2 and on the ice 200+ times a year since they were 7 or 8. Coaches are looking for specific needs. If Cornell already has a couple of 6'3" 200 pound defenseman already on the roster who they would rank ahead of my son, they move on and fill a different need. As a grad my heart tugs for Cornell but as a father I'd be elated for any ECAC outcome where he is happy and there's a good fit.

P.S. My wife/his mom is a Cornell grad too :-)

Date: March 10, 2022 03:57PM

RatushnyFan
It's all good. To be honest, it is so competitive, it's mostly about finding the right fit. All of these kids, including mine, have been skating since they were 2 and on the ice 200+ times a year since they were 7 or 8. Coaches are looking for specific needs. If Cornell already has a couple of 6'3" 200 pound defenseman already on the roster who they would rank ahead of my son, they move on and fill a different need. As a grad my heart tugs for Cornell but as a father I'd be elated for any ECAC outcome where he is happy and there's a good fit.

P.S. My wife/his mom is a Cornell grad too :-)

I get you. Like Ethan Manderville, my son is at Colgate (not a D1 athlete), and frankly it's a better fit for him than Cornell would've been. My daughter is Cornell class of 2017, and Cornell was a perfect school for her. As you said, fit is the key thing.

Date: March 10, 2022 05:54PM

RatushnyFan

This may be a stupid question, but have you contacted Cornell's coaching staff? IIRC, a few years ago I was at a dinner where Mike S. was the guest speaker. Another alum asked about letting him know of good talent, and Mike said, "Sure, we're always looking."

Then again, my son went to BU. Cornell would not have been a good fit, and neither would general admission at BU most likely. But BU has a "College of General Studies," which is for kids who can succeed there but need more structure acclimating and getting through lower-division courses. My son could have gotten free tuition elsewhere, but BU's introduction to CGS convinced us that this was exactly what he needed. We're not sorry, even though we paid the big bucks. As scoop85 said, fit is everything.

Date: March 10, 2022 05:55PM

It has to be a very exciting time for you RatushnyFan. As you said, it is extremely competitive these days and there are so many good hockey players out there. Just to be in that mix is impressive. I’m not surprised that a 6’3”, 195 lb defenseman skating for a program like BK is getting some looks. I’d love to see him end up at Cornell and the fact that CU picked up a few recent 2001 commits (Bancroft, Donaldson)indicates that it still may happen. You have a great attitude though knowing that it’s a pretty ruthless business and if Cornell has their defensive commits locked up, there are no hard feelings - it’s just the way these things work. Any ECAC school(except Q, who doesn’t belong in the ECAC) would be outstanding. Best of luck to your son!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.39.---)
Date: March 11, 2022 09:47AM

Thank you all. Score update: BK 10, Midstate Syracuse 0 in the 3rd period of the NY state tourney. smashfreak

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: March 11, 2022 10:55AM

RatushnyFan
Thank you all. Score update: BK 10, Midstate Syracuse 0 in the 3rd period of the NY state tourney. smashfreak

"Midstate Syracuse is an embarrassment to Syracuse hockey, and Syracuse hockey sucks!"

Posted by: RatushnyFan (165.225.39.---)
Date: March 11, 2022 02:36PM

They picked up their game a little..............14-0 final

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2022 10:30AM

Cornell recruits looking promising. I’ll do a longer write-up when I have time. One thing that’s clear: next year’s freshman class will be headlined by 20- and 21-year-olds who put up good numbers in junior hockey. The following year’s class may instead be headlined by 18- and 19-year-old draft picks without as much junior hockey experience.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-70.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 10:43AM

BearLover
Cornell recruits looking promising. I’ll do a longer write-up when I have time. One thing that’s clear: next year’s freshman class will be headlined by 20- and 21-year-olds who put up good numbers in junior hockey. The following year’s class may instead be headlined by 18- and 19-year-old draft picks without as much junior hockey experience.

My vaguely hot take is that draft picks are overrated for college hockey.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-202.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 11:28AM

Dafatone
BearLover

a lot of cornell hockey draft picks from 14-20 certainly have been underwhelming

Date: March 24, 2022 11:48AM

Dafatone
BearLover

Draft picks aren’t everything. But they aren’t nothing, either. Would you rather have stronger, more experienced 21-y/os, or leaner, more raw 18-y/os with a ton of talent and potential? It depends how well your program develops players and how long you can get the players to stay. Also, to secure the commitment of a draft pick, you need to recruit such a player at a very young age—which leaves more margin for error than recruiting an older player who has already developed. Despite this, draft picks remain a strong proxy for talent, both within the Cornell program (many of our best players over history were draft picks) and also when comparing programs against each other. Here are the number of drafts picks among the top 10 pairwise teams this season:

Michigan—13 including 7 first rounders
Minnesota State—4
Western Michigan—2
Denver—12
Minnesota-Duluth—7
Minnesota—15
NoDak—9
Q—2
Notre Dame—9
St. Cloud—5

Average draft picks on top 10 teams: 7.8

Date: March 25, 2022 01:50PM

(Here is a more in-depth post on our recruits.)

We have some promising recruits in the pipeline. Disclaimer: Don’t quote me on their positions beyond F/D/G, as they are not always listed online consistently.

First up are the most enticing players who should be matriculating next fall (in order of how recently they committed). They are on the older side but have produced in their respective leagues.

Winter Wallace (C/RW)—turned 20 in January; 6’3, 214 lbs; 14-16-30 in 47 games this year in the USHL. Power forward who may help shore up our netfront issues.

Nick DeSantis (C)—will turn 20 in May; 5’9, 152 lbs; 14-26-40 in 51 games in the USHL. Small forward who has produced in the tight-checking USHL.

Sean Donaldson (LW)—will turn 21 this month; 5’11, 180lbs; 36-34-70 in 46 games in the BCHL. Blossomed into a dominant BCHL scorer after not putting up big numbers in the USHL last season.

Dalton Bahncroft (RW)—turned 21 in February; 6’2, 188; 33-53-86 in 48 games in the OJHL. While the OJHL is a weaker league than the USHL or BCHL, Bahncroft is first in the entire league in points per game.

Remington Koeppel (G)—turned 20 this month; 6’2, 188 lbs; .892 sv% in 30 games in the USHL this season; .900 in 25 games last season. While Koeppel’s numbers aren’t fantastic this season, they’re actually better than Shane’s and Howe’s numbers were in the USHL, the toughest junior league. The starting goalie competition next season should be anyone’s game.

Next are the most promising players likely to arrive in 2023-2024. They are basically the opposite of next year’s arrivals: rather than undrafted older recruits, these players are likely to matriculate at 18 or 19 years old and several of them will probably be drafted.

Rather than list their numbers (since most are not in junior hockey yet) or size (since they may still be growing), I will add other relevant notes (in reverse order of how recently they committed):

Marian Mosko (LD)—turns 18 in May; ranked #164 by NHL Central Scouting; drafted by the USHL. Possible late-round pick who will likely play a year in the USHL before matriculating.

George Fegaras (RD)—turns 18 in April; 13-33-46 in 51 games in the OJHL; ranked #91 by NHL Central Scouting; drafted by the USHL. Possible mid-round draft pick who, like Mosko, may play one year in the USHL before coming. The fact he has produced in junior hockey as a defenseman at such a young age bodes well.

Tyler Catalano (C/RW)—just turned 18 at the end of February but already 6’4 and 216 lbs. 1-9-10 in 45 USHL games but still very young. Very likely will spend one more year in the USHL before matriculating.

Ben Robertson (LD)—doesn’t turn 18 until September but already playing in the USHL, putting up 2-10-12 in 44 games as a defenseman. Nearly all of his points have come since his midseason trade to Waterloo.

Liam Steele (D)—turns 18 in April but already 6’4 216 lbs. Ranked #83 by NHL Central Scouting. Possible mid-round draft pick currently in Canadian prep school and committed to the BCHL for next season.

Tyler Wishart (C/RW)—turns 18 in April. Recruited by BU, UNH, and Quinnipiac, Wishart has put up big numbers in prep school at Kimball Union. Drafted by the USHL, he’ll probably play in Lincoln at least one year before matriculating.

Luke Devlin (C)—turned 18 this month; already 6’3 (and 187 lbs). Ranked #202 by NHL Central Scouting. Possible late-round draft pick and yet another St. Andrews product (Barron, Stienburg, Ertel). I would guess he will play one year of junior hockey next season before matriculating.

Other commits include Charlie Major, Jack O’Brien, Aiden Cobb, and Shaun Mahoney. These players either haven’t put up the same numbers or there isn’t much information available on them.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 03:03PM

Jack O’Brien, a 19-year old D who is now playing his third year w/Nanaimo Clippers, is likely to arrive this fall.

Date: March 25, 2022 03:32PM

Thanks for that wrap-up, Bear.

Date: March 25, 2022 04:42PM

I love reports on the commits. Every year, based on their stats, I start looking at where the final four is being played and what weekend.

Date: March 25, 2022 05:07PM

If anybody wondered (I did):
2023	Tampa
2024	St. Paul
2025	St. Louis
2026	Las Vegas

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2022 05:42PM

BearLover

We have some promising recruits in the pipeline. Disclaimer: Don’t quote me on their positions beyond F/D/G, as they are not always listed online consistently.

First up are the most enticing players who should be matriculating next fall (in order of how recently they committed). They are on the older side but have produced in their respective leagues.

Winter Wallace (C/RW)—turned 20 in January; 6’3, 214 lbs; 14-16-30 in 47 games this year in the USHL. Power forward who may help shore up our netfront issues.

Nick DeSantis (C)—will turn 20 in May; 5’9, 152 lbs; 14-26-40 in 51 games in the USHL. Small forward who has produced in the tight-checking USHL.

Sean Donaldson (LW)—will turn 21 this month; 5’11, 180lbs; 36-34-70 in 46 games in the BCHL. Blossomed into a dominant BCHL scorer after not putting up big numbers in the USHL last season.

Dalton Bahncroft (RW)—turned 21 in February; 6’2, 188; 33-53-86 in 48 games in the OJHL. While the OJHL is a weaker league than the USHL or BCHL, Bahncroft is first in the entire league in points per game.

Remington Koeppel (G)—turned 20 this month; 6’2, 188 lbs; .892 sv% in 30 games in the USHL this season; .900 in 25 games last season. While Koeppel’s numbers aren’t fantastic this season, they’re actually better than Shane’s and Howe’s numbers were in the USHL, the toughest junior league. The starting goalie competition next season should be anyone’s game.

Next are the most promising players likely to arrive in 2023-2024. They are basically the opposite of next year’s arrivals: rather than undrafted older recruits, these players are likely to matriculate at 18 or 19 years old and several of them will probably be drafted.

Rather than list their numbers (since most are not in junior hockey yet) or size (since they may still be growing), I will add other relevant notes (in reverse order of how recently they committed):

Marian Mosko (LD)—turns 18 in May; ranked #164 by NHL Central Scouting; drafted by the USHL. Possible late-round pick who will likely play a year in the USHL before matriculating.

George Fegaras (RD)—turns 18 in April; 13-33-46 in 51 games in the OJHL; ranked #91 by NHL Central Scouting; drafted by the USHL. Possible mid-round draft pick who, like Mosko, may play one year in the USHL before coming. The fact he has produced in junior hockey as a defenseman at such a young age bodes well.

Tyler Catalano (C/RW)—just turned 18 at the end of February but already 6’4 and 216 lbs. 1-9-10 in 45 USHL games but still very young. Very likely will spend one more year in the USHL before matriculating.

Ben Robertson (LD)—doesn’t turn 18 until September but already playing in the USHL, putting up 2-10-12 in 44 games as a defenseman. Nearly all of his points have come since his midseason trade to Waterloo.

Liam Steele (D)—turns 18 in April but already 6’4 216 lbs. Ranked #83 by NHL Central Scouting. Possible mid-round draft pick currently in Canadian prep school and committed to the BCHL for next season.

Tyler Wishart (C/RW)—turns 18 in April. Recruited by BU, UNH, and Quinnipiac, Wishart has put up big numbers in prep school at Kimball Union. Drafted by the USHL, he’ll probably play in Lincoln at least one year before matriculating.

Luke Devlin (C)—turned 18 this month; already 6’3 (and 187 lbs). Ranked #202 by NHL Central Scouting. Possible late-round draft pick and yet another St. Andrews product (Barron, Stienburg, Ertel). I would guess he will play one year of junior hockey next season before matriculating.

Other commits include Charlie Major, Jack O’Brien, Aiden Cobb, and Shaun Mahoney. These players either haven’t put up the same numbers or there isn’t much information available on them.

Great stuff, thanks

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2022 09:49AM

CU2007
BearLover

Great stuff, thanks

Agree, thanks.

I was hoping that we'd have a more definitive #1 goalie next year.

Nice to have competition, but have to hope that Shane and Howe improve. Both are okay, but I've been spoiled by the likes of Galajda, who became Notre Dame's #1.

What extra games might we have won if he was with us this year?

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-6.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2022 10:02PM

?t=5kufAdj6Ogk7aWG8EIahtQ&s=19

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 02:49AM

Having read many reports on Pirtle on Neutral Zone, I don't look forward to seeing him play against RPI. That is, assuming RPI still has a team. Shirley still has almost three months to destroy it.

Date: April 06, 2022 08:47AM

ursusminor
Having read many reports on Pirtle on Neutral Zone, I don't look forward to seeing him play against RPI. That is, assuming RPI still has a team. Shirley still has almost three months to destroy it.

While I have no idea on his selection criteria, Heisenberg has Pirtle listed as his top Northeastern recruit in his age group.

Date: April 06, 2022 09:15AM

so confusing with hockey kids committing so far out.. just turned 17 so i suppose this is for 2 yrs from now..

Date: April 06, 2022 09:17AM

It will be a few years and anything can happen, but he may be our highest-rated incoming F since Riley Nash.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 01:37PM

Trotsky
It will be a few years and anything can happen, but he may be our highest-rated incoming F since Riley Nash.

I just hope he gets here in time for Grady and Jason to have to say variations on "Pirtle from Ertel." Sounds like something from Dr. Seuss.

Date: April 06, 2022 03:52PM

Chris '03
Trotsky

I just hope he gets here in time for Grady and Jason to have to say variations on "Pirtle from Ertel." Sounds like something from Dr. Seuss.

The Teenage Mutant Ninjas?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 05:42PM

ACM
Chris '03
Trotsky

The Teenage Mutant Ninjas?

The Yertle Line.

Date: April 06, 2022 06:16PM

upprdeck
so confusing with hockey kids committing so far out.. just turned 17 so i suppose this is for 2 yrs from now..
At least their social posts don't allege LeMoyne Dolphins And Me, B.F.F. That was back when Facebook let teenage girls (well, everyone) choose to say In a Relationship and offer the option of It's Complicated. For girls of that age, I believe FB auto-filled the It's Complicated checkbox to save them the effort.

Date: April 06, 2022 06:20PM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Be nice to have a thumbs-up emoticon (in among those smileys) for those 21st Century "Well-played, sir," responses.

Date: April 06, 2022 09:10PM

Trotsky

Based on what? I’m not disagreeing, I’m just clueless. Stat comps? Some sort of scouting rating service?

Date: April 06, 2022 09:21PM

CU2007
Trotsky

Based on what? I’m not disagreeing, I’m just clueless. Stat comps? Some sort of scouting rating service?
Yes.

Date: April 08, 2022 05:19PM

Trotsky
CU2007
Trotsky

Yes.

Useful. Thanks

Date: April 08, 2022 07:15PM

CU2007
Trotsky
CU2007
Trotsky

Yes.

Useful. Thanks
De nada.

Date: April 09, 2022 11:01PM

I might be the highest rated nascar driver in 2025

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2022 12:34AM

?s=20&t=axxc9pKFzl7XielRIlNjUw

Posted by: CAS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 18, 2022 11:06AM

Recruits Dalton Bancroft & George Fegaras were named to the OJHL First All-Star Team. Sean Donaldson was named to the BCHL Second All-Star Team.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 12:13PM by CAS.

Date: April 18, 2022 03:30PM

Based on the info I have read, we are projected to have 9 incoming guys next year. That can't be accurate, right?

(age on 10/1/22)

Bancroft, F (21)
Cobb, F (20)
Devlin, F (18)
Donaldson, F (21)
Keoppel, G (20)
Mahoney, F (20)
O'Brien, D (19)
Steele, F (18)
Wallace, D (20)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 03:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 18, 2022 04:51PM

CAS
Recruits Dalton Bancroft & George Fegaras were named to the OJHL First All-Star Team. Sean Donaldson was named to the BCHL Second All-Star Team.

Odd that Donaldson was only on the 2nd team considering he was one of 3 finalists for league MVP.

Date: April 18, 2022 04:52PM

Trotsky
Based on the info I have read, we are projected to have 9 incoming guys next year. That can't be accurate, right?

(age on 10/1/22)

Bancroft, F (21)
Cobb, F (20)
Devlin, F (18)
Donaldson, F (21)
Keoppel, G (20)
Mahoney, F (20)
O'Brien, D (19)
Steele, F (18)
Wallace, D (20)

Steele is going to the BCHL and I believe Devlin to the USHL next season. And Wallace is a forward, so we appear to have just 1 defenseman coming in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 04:53PM by scoop85.

Date: April 18, 2022 05:43PM

we know we lose 7-10 kids so 9 would seem about right. might need another goalie as well.

Date: April 18, 2022 06:31PM

scoop85
Steele is going to the BCHL and I believe Devlin to the USHL next season. And Wallace is a forward, so we appear to have just 1 defenseman coming in.
Thank you, that makes a lot more sense.

Date: April 18, 2022 06:33PM

upprdeck
might need another goalie as well.
With Howe's decision an apparent surprise I think any G we pick up will be for GPA not GAA.

Date: April 18, 2022 06:35PM

scoop85
Trotsky

(age on 10/1/22)

Bancroft, F (21)
Cobb, F (20)
Devlin, F (18)
Donaldson, F (21)
Keoppel, G (20)
Mahoney, F (20)
O'Brien, D (19)
Steele, F (18)
Wallace, D (20)

Where is Fegaras?

Date: April 18, 2022 06:43PM

Swampy
scoop85
Trotsky

(age on 10/1/22)

Bancroft, F (21)
Cobb, F (20)
Devlin, F (18)
Donaldson, F (21)
Keoppel, G (20)
Mahoney, F (20)
O'Brien, D (19)
Steele, F (18)
Wallace, D (20)

Where is Fegaras?
Fall 23 AFAIK.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 28, 2022 02:34PM

George Fegaras wins OJHL "Top Prospect" award:

Date: April 28, 2022 02:39PM

pfibiger
George Fegaras wins OJHL "Top Prospect" award:

“Currently committed to Cornell University…” hopefully isn’t meant to imply anything.

Date: April 28, 2022 02:43PM

scoop85
“Currently committed to Cornell University…” hopefully isn’t meant to imply anything.
Yeah, I didn't like that shit one bit. But I guess it's accurate. And after a hundred years of schools fucking athletes, athletes fucking schools -- while not wonderful -- is certainly preferable.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 02:43PM by Trotsky.

Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login