Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson Game Thread

Posted by scoop85 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Clarkson Game Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 11:34AM

ugarte
Trotsky
This is just a shit sandwich to eat right before la petit morte.
this is a public website i don't need to know this much about you
Coulda just asked anyone. I have no filter, which may explain the shit sandwich.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 11:37AM

George64
Coach Schafer on Clarkson game - “It was a tough ending – something that's never really happened to our program before. I am responsible for it . . . I failed our team tonight by not having them better prepared for the six-on-five. I thought we did, but I have to take responsibility that we were not detailed enough, so this result rests on my shoulders . . . Our players played hard and unfortunately, it got away . . . We will use it as a lesson, and will make sure we never make the same type of mistakes again."

In this day and age, it’s nice to see someone holding themself accountable. Quit griping, LGR!
Never happened to a Mike Schafer program before. In the memory of boomers who can't let go, there was this: 3/16/73, NCAA Friday semifinal game for the right to play a beatable Denver team, Cornell led Wisconsin 5-2 early in the third and lost in OT, 6-5. Saturday, Wisconsin beat Denver, winner of the Thursday semifinal, 4-2. It was one of the games in Jim Roberts' book Forever Faithful. That would have been Cornell's third title in seven years. We're still working on No. 3.

Date: December 05, 2021 11:51AM

billhoward
George64
Coach Schafer on Clarkson game - “It was a tough ending – something that's never really happened to our program before. I am responsible for it . . . I failed our team tonight by not having them better prepared for the six-on-five. I thought we did, but I have to take responsibility that we were not detailed enough, so this result rests on my shoulders . . . Our players played hard and unfortunately, it got away . . . We will use it as a lesson, and will make sure we never make the same type of mistakes again."

In this day and age, it’s nice to see someone holding themself accountable. Quit griping, LGR!
Never happened to a Mike Schafer program before. In the memory of boomers who can't let go, there was this: 3/16/73, NCAA Friday semifinal game for the right to play a beatable Denver team, Cornell led Wisconsin 5-2 early in the third and lost in OT, 6-5. Saturday, Wisconsin beat Denver, winner of the Thursday semifinal, 4-2. It was one of the games in Jim Roberts' book Forever Faithful. That would have been Cornell's third title in seven years. We're still working on No. 3.
Even that one only had one extra skater goal.

Date: December 05, 2021 11:53AM

Mike said the right things:

"It was a tough ending – something that's never really happened to our program before. I am responsible for it," said Mike Schafer '86, the Jay R. Bloom '77 Head Coach of Men's Hockey at Cornell. "I failed our team tonight by not having them better prepared for the six-on-five. I thought we did, but I have to take responsibility that we were not detailed enough, so this result rests on my shoulders."

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 01:05PM

Blown lead aside, at least it was a tie rather than a loss (although the difference is not much from what it seems) on the road. Obviously this game could hurt from a PWR perspective down the line but March is still a long way away and there are a lot of conference games left and four OOC games, including two against a top-5 pairwise team. If this team does get to the NCAA's, it'll be highly dependent on the defense. This team has the skill to score against pretty much anybody I think.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 01:13PM

Weder
dbilmes
If you're wondering why McDonald played both games over the weekend, this is what Schafer said in the official Brandon Thomas writeup after the St. Lawrence game:

Senior Nate McDonald made 19 saves to earn the victory, improving to 5-0 in his first five collegiate starts.

"I thought he did a solid job again tonight," Schafer added. "I thought he was better at controlling his rebounds. He just had a great week of practice. He was just dialed in all week in practice and focused, and I thought he elevated himself this week as a goaltender."

Like many of you, I felt that the bad-angle goal McDonald allowed to lose the shutout started to turn the momentum against us. There was also the icing call against us with about 30 seconds left which should have been waved off, and the strange decision to have the faceoff with 5 seconds remaining in our end instead of at neutral ice. From the Sun article:

After the whistle, Clarkson’s Chris Klack and senior tri-captain Kyle Betts got into it, with Klack delivering a punch to Bett’s helmet and Betts responding by driving Klack to the ice. The two were assessed offsetting roughing penalties.

After a review, the officials placed the puck in Cornell’s defensive zone. The decision seemed to be an incorrect adjudication of Rule 81.2, which stipulates that the puck be placed in the neutral zone following an altercation where the attacking team’s players come below the faceoff circles to get involved – which Clarkson defenseman Noah Beck did when he went to the corner to check out the action.

“We made mistakes, officials made mistakes, and Clarkson capitalized,” Schafer said.

With 4.7 seconds left, if the puck had been placed in the neutral zone Clarkson would have had the impossible task of winning the draw, entering the zone and getting off a shot. But it wasn’t placed in the neutral zone.

Also, we did have a power play in OT and had some good chances, but failed to capitalize. At least if we had scored on that power play we would have avoided the shootout and gotten the extra point. This was the first game this season where I felt we really missed Galajda. Even though it's been documented in his thread how he has given up similar bad-angle goals, it's hard to believe he would have let all four of those goals in during the final few minutes, especially the final one.

I looked at the rule and if you keep reading, it seems that since there were offsetting penalties the faceoff is supposed to be closest to where the play was whistled dead.

“When a violation of a rule has been committed by players of both teams on the play resulting in the stoppage, the ensuing faceoff shall be made at the point where the puck was when the stoppage occurred. If there is a differential in penalties, the faceoff will take place in the defending zone of the team with the additional penalty.”

[www.achahockey.org]

2 parts of the rule. 1 is where its placed when the 2 who took the penalties.. the other is when the clarkson dude entered the play after it was done from above the endline and that one should have moved it outside the zone.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 01:31PM

When did Cornell start using uniforms with the inscription "Huskies"? :-P

Posted by: Weder (107.72.164.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 02:21PM

upprdeck
Weder
dbilmes
If you're wondering why McDonald played both games over the weekend, this is what Schafer said in the official Brandon Thomas writeup after the St. Lawrence game:

Senior Nate McDonald made 19 saves to earn the victory, improving to 5-0 in his first five collegiate starts.

"I thought he did a solid job again tonight," Schafer added. "I thought he was better at controlling his rebounds. He just had a great week of practice. He was just dialed in all week in practice and focused, and I thought he elevated himself this week as a goaltender."

Like many of you, I felt that the bad-angle goal McDonald allowed to lose the shutout started to turn the momentum against us. There was also the icing call against us with about 30 seconds left which should have been waved off, and the strange decision to have the faceoff with 5 seconds remaining in our end instead of at neutral ice. From the Sun article:

After the whistle, Clarkson’s Chris Klack and senior tri-captain Kyle Betts got into it, with Klack delivering a punch to Bett’s helmet and Betts responding by driving Klack to the ice. The two were assessed offsetting roughing penalties.

After a review, the officials placed the puck in Cornell’s defensive zone. The decision seemed to be an incorrect adjudication of Rule 81.2, which stipulates that the puck be placed in the neutral zone following an altercation where the attacking team’s players come below the faceoff circles to get involved – which Clarkson defenseman Noah Beck did when he went to the corner to check out the action.

“We made mistakes, officials made mistakes, and Clarkson capitalized,” Schafer said.

With 4.7 seconds left, if the puck had been placed in the neutral zone Clarkson would have had the impossible task of winning the draw, entering the zone and getting off a shot. But it wasn’t placed in the neutral zone.

Also, we did have a power play in OT and had some good chances, but failed to capitalize. At least if we had scored on that power play we would have avoided the shootout and gotten the extra point. This was the first game this season where I felt we really missed Galajda. Even though it's been documented in his thread how he has given up similar bad-angle goals, it's hard to believe he would have let all four of those goals in during the final few minutes, especially the final one.

I looked at the rule and if you keep reading, it seems that since there were offsetting penalties the faceoff is supposed to be closest to where the play was whistled dead.

“When a violation of a rule has been committed by players of both teams on the play resulting in the stoppage, the ensuing faceoff shall be made at the point where the puck was when the stoppage occurred. If there is a differential in penalties, the faceoff will take place in the defending zone of the team with the additional penalty.”

[www.achahockey.org]

2 parts of the rule. 1 is where its placed when the 2 who took the penalties.. the other is when the clarkson dude entered the play after it was done from above the endline and that one should have moved it outside the zone.

Yeah, but that is under the section about where face offs should be held if only one team is penalized? At least that’s the way I read it.

“When players are penalized at a stoppage of play so as to result in one or more penalties being placed on the penalty time clock to one team, the ensuing faceoff shall be conducted at one of the two faceoff spots in the offending team’s end zone. There are only three (3) exceptions to this application:
• • •
When a penalty is assessed after the scoring of a goal – faceoff at center ice;
When a penalty is assessed at the end (or start) of a period – faceoff at center ice;
When the defending team is penalized and the attacking players enter the attacking zone beyond the outer edge of the end zone faceoff circle – faceoff in the neutral zone.”

Date: December 05, 2021 03:04PM

Maybe at Clarrkson they're still hand developing film and it wasn't ready for the Twitter, so: file photos.

Date: December 05, 2021 03:05PM

Fifth Puck Game?

Posted by: JohnAshbrook (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2021 03:35PM

I was at the game last night in person and I must say all the hate McDonald is getting on here is pretty unwarranted. Up until the second Clarkson goal he was having the game of his life. Clarkson was outshooting us like crazy and we have up an insane amount of powerplays. McDonald's goaltending was the only reason we were in the position we were in the third period. It was pretty clear that by the end of the game, our defense had become exhausted by Clarkson tenacity, and the fact that they'd been killing penalties for what felt like the whole game. When things went 6 on 5 they were exhausted and seemingly pretty unprepared, and what happened happened. Fun story, after they won the penalty shoutout an entire burrito wrapped in tinfoil was launched at my friend and me as we were standing with the Cornell band. Had been talking a lot of shit the whole game so somewhat understandable. Left, extremely shortly after.

Date: December 05, 2021 03:48PM

an entire burrito wrapped in tinfoil
Not only did Clarkson take away Cornell chem professor / provost / FL vineyard operator Bob Plane (RIP 2018) to be Tech's president (this would be 1980s), now they're claiming to have a hotel school.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 04:23PM

billhoward

Not only did Clarkson take away Cornell chem professor / provost / FL vineyard operator Bob Plane (RIP 2018) to be Tech's president (this would be 1980s), now they're claiming to have a hotel school.
No rational fan would hurl a burrito at an obnoxious opposing fan unless the burrito tasted so terrible it was best used as a projectile.

Date: December 05, 2021 05:19PM

cbuckser
billhoward

No rational fan would hurl a burrito at an obnoxious opposing fan unless the burrito tasted so terrible it was best used as a projectile.
And it's a skillful fan who can eat a burrito on the ride up, or back, and not gonna on your lap.
Tom Brady probably hasn't had a burrito since his Ann Arbor days.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 06:31PM

cbuckser
billhoward

Do any of us really wonder about what kind of reputation the Mexican food of Potsdam, NY has? I think I know.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2021 12:58AM by RichH.

Posted by: Drew2 (165.225.220.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 07:29PM

Hey guys/gals,From a Tech perspective.... I was at the game last night (just got home after a 6 hour ride) I think the game was evenly played, I think your Goalie made some tremendous stops to keep us off the board early, that being said, I was impressed with your team speed, very unlike Big Red of years ago....the game has changed. It was a man's game last night, they were crushing each other, lots of ice baths for both teams.

Personally, I think we have a very good and tenacious forecheck and I think at the end, your boys were gassed, but a hard fought game on both sides.

A GOOD GAME.

By the way, maybe I missed it, but no word of how both bands came together and sang "Sweet Caroline" I loved it!

Stay safe,
Drew

Posted by: Drew2 (165.225.220.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 07:32PM

Apologies, having computer issues
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2021 07:36PM by Drew2.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2021 10:25PM

Drew2
Hey guys/gals,From a Tech perspective.... I was at the game last night (just got home after a 6 hour ride) I think the game was evenly played, I think your Goalie made some tremendous stops to keep us off the board early, that being said, I was impressed with your team speed, very unlike Big Red of years ago....the game has changed. It was a man's game last night, they were crushing each other, lots of ice baths for both teams.

Personally, I think we have a very good and tenacious forecheck and I think at the end, your boys were gassed, but a hard fought game on both sides.

A GOOD GAME.

By the way, maybe I missed it, but no word of how both bands came together and sang "Sweet Caroline" I loved it!

Stay safe,
Drew

The one consolation I took out of last night is that this could be the first chapter in an epic Cornell-Clarkson battle this season (hopefully we can both do more to dispose of Harvard and Quinnipiac).

Re: Sweet Caroline, Trotsky and I addressed that in another thread. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: osorojo (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 06, 2021 08:50AM

USCHO Hockey Guru wrote this headline: "Clarkson stages unreal rally to top Cornell . . ." "top"? New math? Clarkson graduate?

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-192-206.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2021 10:00AM

osorojo
USCHO Hockey Guru wrote this headline: "Clarkson stages unreal rally to top Cornell . . ." "top"? New math? Clarkson graduate?
Well, people on this very forum keep referring to this year's Cornell team as 9-1-1...

Date: December 06, 2021 10:26AM

osorojo

2 points > 1 point. :-(

Date: December 06, 2021 04:52PM

In 1969, Harvard rallied for 2 TDs, 2 2-point conversions in 2 minutes to end the Yale game at 29-all. Harvard Crimson headline: Harvard Beats Yale 29-29.

Posted by: abmarks (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 05:16PM

?t=Vq40FmUNHCZgXlhqkFgJww&s=19

I could watch this one all day

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2021 09:57PM

jtwcornell91
marty
Iceberg
marty
Was I seeing double before the penalty. Looked like 4 Cornell players on the ice.

It becomes 4x4 after 2 minutes of OT

When you watch the replay the announcer said it was because the players called for roughing at the end of regulation came out at the end of their penalties to make it 4x4.

By that logic if there had been matching minors in regulation with the refs calling for the play to be 5x5 during the penalties then at the end of the penalty time they should come out and play 6x6.

This foolish 3x3 shit is a big turd on shaved ice.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that when a 4x3 power play ends in OT, the penalized player gets back on the ice, and they play 4x4 until the next whistle, when it goes back to 3x3.

Here is the clip showing 3 on 3 overtime play unexpectedly becoming 4 on 4 just before the penalty is called on Clarkson.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2021 10:02PM by marty.

Date: December 06, 2021 10:58PM

marty
jtwcornell91
marty
Iceberg
marty
Was I seeing double before the penalty. Looked like 4 Cornell players on the ice.

When you watch the replay the announcer said it was because the players called for roughing at the end of regulation came out at the end of their penalties to make it 4x4.

By that logic if there had been matching minors in regulation with the refs calling for the play to be 5x5 during the penalties then at the end of the penalty time they should come out and play 6x6.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that when a 4x3 power play ends in OT, the penalized player gets back on the ice, and they play 4x4 until the next whistle, when it goes back to 3x3.

Here is the clip showing 3 on 3 overtime play unexpectedly becoming 4 on 4 just before the penalty is called on Clarkson.

So I'm guessing what happened is that the matching minors that went on the clock at 19:56 of the third stayed on the clock, and then at 1:56 of the OT, they released so that the 3x3 became 4x4 until the next whistle (which happened to be for the minor on Clarkson). I don't know what the rule says, but it seems like it would make more sense in that situation to take the penalties off the scoreboard and then release both skaters at the first whistle after their penalties ended.

Posted by: marty (---.windscribe.com)
Date: December 07, 2021 02:00AM

jtwcornell91
marty
jtwcornell91
marty
Iceberg
marty

So I'm guessing what happened is that the matching minors that went on the clock at 19:56 of the third stayed on the clock, and then at 1:56 of the OT, they released so that the 3x3 became 4x4 until the next whistle (which happened to be for the minor on Clarkson). I don't know what the rule says, but it seems like it would make more sense in that situation to take the penalties off the scoreboard and then release both skaters at the first whistle after their penalties ended.

I agree. If the rules are as we now assume then four players in the box at the end of regulation would have resulted in a 5 on 5 as the penalties expired. But 6 players off for roughing at the end of the 3rd wouldn't have allowed a 6 on 6 when the penalties ended.

Date: December 07, 2021 04:12PM

marty
jtwcornell91
marty
jtwcornell91
marty
Iceberg
marty

I agree. If the rules are as we now assume then four players in the box at the end of regulation would have resulted in a 5 on 5 as the penalties expired. But 6 players off for roughing at the end of the 3rd wouldn't have allowed a 6 on 6 when the penalties ended.

Actually four penalties at one stoppage wouldn't make it 3x3 in regulation (which is what you'd need to get 5x5 when all the penalties had released). You'd need matching minors, then a minor for one side, then a minor for another side, all within the last two minutes of regulation.

Actually, a 5x3 in either regulation or OT could result in 5x5 OT if both penalties ended without a whistle in between.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login