Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red Hot game thread and watch

Posted by David Harding 
Red Hot game thread and watch
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 12:36PM

For a different experience/experiment, let me invite you to a game watch breakout room as part of the biweekly Cornell Global Mixer on Zoom this evening.
[cornell.zoom.us]
The event starts at 6:00 PM Eastern Time. Our host, Tony Chen, is going to designate a game watch breakout room among all the other breakout rooms. When you sign in you land in a general greeting room. Just tell Tony that you are looking for the game watch room. He can move you there or you can wander from room to room on your own.

I don't know how well Zoom will deal with everyone having the same game audio in the room with different phase delays. In the worst case, everyone mutes and the chat feature is available.

Re: Red Hot game thread and watch
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 01:21PM

David Harding
For a different experience/experiment, let me invite you to a game watch breakout room as part of the biweekly Cornell Global Mixer on Zoom this evening.
[cornell.zoom.us]
The event starts at 6:00 PM Eastern Time. Our host, Tony Chen, is going to designate a game watch breakout room among all the other breakout rooms. When you sign in you land in a general greeting room. Just tell Tony that you are looking for the game watch room. He can move you there or you can wander from room to room on your own.

I don't know how well Zoom will deal with everyone having the same game audio in the room with different phase delays. In the worst case, everyone mutes and the chat feature is available.
Huh. Very interesting idea.

Date: November 27, 2021 05:38PM

r/collegehockey also has a mega-thread (created I believe by a BU fan) which could be promising. I plan to keep it up on one of the billion screens in the house.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2021 05:38PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 27, 2021 08:06PM

Howe is back.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-80.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 08:40PM

I don't like that we miss faceoffs to watch goal replays and crowd shots.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 08:59PM

5 goals scored--in the first period? As an alum who graduated, ahem, almost 20 years ago, it's going to take me some time to wrap my head around high scoring Cornell hockey games. I'll gladly take the decrease in defense as it is offset by the increase in offense, and I can't argue with the results this season. LGR.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-135.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:05PM

Interesting to see the skill and speed of BU. They are disorganized and sloppy but dangerous. We need to keep our shape and make their defense and shaky goalie work.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:23PM

Am I the only one freaking out at all of the crowd shots with no one wearing masks and everyone's mouth open?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 27, 2021 09:27PM

jtwcornell91
Am I the only one freaking out at all of the crowd shots with no one wearing masks and everyone's mouth open?
Darwin never sleeps.

Date: November 27, 2021 09:29PM

Stienburg got hurt?

Edit: He's back.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2021 09:40PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 27, 2021 09:40PM

I think we got lucky, there. That could have been a 5 + GM.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:41PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Darwin never sleeps.

Darwin needs to step up his activity in Flori-dumb.

Posted by: lhayes (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:41PM

Listening via WHCU. No engineer? Ads interrupt the game, interviews - like they were scheduled/programmed in advance. Missed the second goal. Jason doesn’t seem to know.

Date: November 27, 2021 09:45PM

3 very stupid penalties by Cornell and could have had another. Get your heads in the game, guys.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-198.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:47PM

Trotsky

Thought it was a good hit. These masshole announcers on ESPN+ are starting to get very very homerish though.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:49PM

lhayes
Listening via WHCU. No engineer? Ads interrupt the game, interviews - like they were scheduled/programmed in advance. Missed the second goal. Jason doesn’t seem to know.

ESPN plus broadcast isn't perfect either. had a close up of the cornell bench and missed like 20 sec or so of on ice action. weird. Also volume balancing is out of whack- very low for the broadcast but then when they go to commercial or intermission, volume is way up.

however, very happy to have video and multiple replays.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-135.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:54PM

My wife and I are wearing masks for what it’s worth. I’d say no more than 10% in my section are masked. Not good. B

Rita
had a close up of the cornell bench and missed like 20 sec or so of on ice action.
They do that when the goal is announced. They also cut to the guy in the box as the last seconds of the penalty expire. This has been the case for previous MSG broadcasts. I guess it's locked into their camera choice.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.58.229.---)

jtwcornell91

I don't know MSG specifically but pretty much everywhere in NYC is asking for proof of vaccination and then allowing people to not wear masks in those places. Wouldn't be surprised of they just had vaccination status checked as a part of normal arena entry procedures.

Date: November 27, 2021 09:55PM

CU2007
Trotsky

Thought it was a good hit. These masshole announcers on ESPN+ are starting to get very very homerish though.
I think the announcers are good. The accent is hideous but that's a birth defect.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:56PM

Rita
lhayes

ESPN plus broadcast isn't perfect either. had a close up of the cornell bench and missed like 20 sec or so of on ice action. weird. Also volume balancing is out of whack- very low for the broadcast but then when they go to commercial or intermission, volume is way up.

There typically isn't a TV camera crew for this game but just a pickup of the rink camera. The view is the same as is seen by the fans on the MSG center ice screen.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 09:56PM

Rita
lhayes

It looks like they’re just pulling the in-house video feed, which is why you see so many crowd shots and bench shots after goals. They’ve done this whenever the game hasn’t been picked up by MSG Network or some other channel.

Posted by: facemadeforradio (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 10:04PM

Same here. Synced up Jason with the video, but random commercial drops screw that up. FWIW, this happened to me on the TuneIn app. Guessing it's an app intrusion and it has nothing to do with over-the-air feed locally in Ithaca.

After two periods of this, going with a different source for WHCU radio feed for the third period.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:07PM

Same dropouts here via the TuneIn radio app. Ditching that feed for the WHCU feed here for the third period.

[onlineradiobox.com]

Date: November 27, 2021 10:12PM

OK, get the next goal, Red.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:15PM

WOW. Malinsky.

Posted by: lhayes (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 10:19PM

Thanks - trying that.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 10:21PM

Trotsky
WOW. Malinsky.

Indeed. Hell of a special play there.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:21PM

facemadeforradio
Same dropouts here via the TuneIn radio app. Ditching that feed for the WHCU feed here for the third period.

[onlineradiobox.com]

Nope...audio just went to random commercial drop in the middle of a rush on this app as well.

Gonna suffer with the BU crew the rest of the way.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:33PM

We should study BU's power play.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 10:36PM

Trotsky

Since I am only following the stats (not listening on watching), I am not sure what you mean--BU's power play is 0 for 5 so far tonight.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:37PM

djk26
Trotsky

Since I am only following the stats (not listening on watching), I am not sure what you mean--BU's power play is 0 for 5 so far tonight.
They have generated a ton of fantastic chances.

Date: November 27, 2021 10:45PM

Cornell 6 BU 4

I will take that win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2021 10:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-197-139.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 11:17PM

very satisfying

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-197-195.myvzw.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 11:45PM

A good, heavily pro-Cornell crowd at MSG. Was worried about attendance at the start but arena filled in pretty well. There was a large group behind mine that knew each other and I think said were class of 2013 or thereabouts doing a lot of the classic cheers. Fun to hear and join in.

Date: November 27, 2021 11:50PM

Cornell in its last 38 games:

31-3-4

Last 18 games:

17-1-0

Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 01:00AM

Iceberg
jtwcornell91

I don't know MSG specifically but pretty much everywhere in NYC is asking for proof of vaccination and then allowing people to not wear masks in those places. Wouldn't be surprised of they just had vaccination status checked as a part of normal arena entry procedures.

They checked vax status, but masks would be helpful.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 02:40AM

Yell Cornell

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 07:22AM

Let's take 2:26 to show ten goals.

Or take a minute to show one!! Sam Malinski, third period!

And two minutes to show six seconds!!! Liam Motley, Sam Malinski, Brenden Locke and Max Andreev, first period.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 07:42AM by marty.

Date: November 28, 2021 08:24AM

Cornell hockey as done by Family Guy.

Date: November 28, 2021 08:26AM

marty
And two minutes to show six seconds!!! Liam Motley, Sam Malinski, Brenden Locke and Max Andreev, first period.
Locke's pass is such a beautiful thing. He had a great game.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-174-194-131.myvzw.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 08:36AM

marty

I hadn't noticed this watching in real-time, but check out the BU player Malinski beats. He leaves his stick on the ice and kinda throws his hands up in despair!

Date: November 28, 2021 08:41AM

andyw2100
I hadn't noticed this watching in real-time, but check out the BU player Malinski beats. He leaves his stick on the ice and kinda throws his hands up in despair!
I hadn't seen it either. #7. Hilarious.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 09:50AM

Trotsky
andyw2100

Vlasic found himself in a pickle.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 10:33AM

marty
Trotsky
andyw2100

Vlasic found himself in a pickle.

Vlasic is a UNDTP hot shot who is a 2019 2nd round pick of the Black Hawks. Malinski made him look silly.

BU goalie Commesso likewise is a UNDTP player who also was taken in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft by Chicago. Supposedly he’s the likely number 1 goalie for the U.S. in this year’s World Juniors. If so the USA may be in for a heap of trouble if he doesn’t play considerably better than he did last night.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 28, 2021 10:37AM

interesting team to watch so far. once we clear the zone we are creative and pretty fast. I guess the season will hinge on how well the D controls the mistakes/giveaways. We create more than enough chances. We probably have a good shot at 3-5 15 goal guys and 5-6 10 goal guys and considering 2 yrs ago we had 1 and 2 thats pretty big uptake. We had 11 five goal guys our last full yr and probably have 8-10 this yr. Strange to see a team good on the cycle on one end but lose many 2x1 plays on the D end though

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 11:10AM

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2021 12:59PM

arugula
Iceberg
jtwcornell91

They checked vax status, but masks would be helpful.

This was the case at the Cornell-RIT women's game in October, but there about half the people were wearing masks, and there were a lot fewer people in the arena. And, at least in Rochester, the community infection rate is even higher now than it was then.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 28, 2021 05:38PM

andyw2100
marty

I saw that. It was wonderful.

Date: November 28, 2021 11:13PM

Adam
he last time Cornell played Boston University at Madison Square Garden — as part of the teams' semi-annual Red Hot Hockey event — the Big Red were en route to a 25-2 season readying for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

I assume this was a typo, but amusing in the context of the discussion of attendance.

Posted by: BMac (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2021 03:23PM

Not a typo! It's really every other year as Red Hot Hockey, and on the intervening year it's called something else.

Do you mean semi-annual vs. bi-annual? If so, I agree! It should be bi-annual!

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2021 03:51PM

BMac
Not a typo! It's really every other year as Red Hot Hockey, and on the intervening year it's called something else.

The “off” years are called the “Frozen Apple” IIRC.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2021 05:50PM

BMac

Better yet, biennial.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2021 09:45PM

I didn't really want to pile on, but I saw 25-2 again, and while the Big Red was damn good in 2019-20, they were 23-2-4. Which even now that we're keeping track of OT wins and OT losses, and this is worth 55% of that even though points-wise it's worth 67% -- well, it's still not quite the same as 25-2...

Date: November 29, 2021 11:09PM

BMac

Adam has corrected the article to read "biennial". The original posting was "semi-annual", as I quoted.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 07:48AM

BMac

Look at the confusion among people with college degrees. Frequency confusion is the scourge of the magazine business, explaining publications out every two weeks: bi-weekly can mean twice a week as well as every 2 weeks. The British fortnightly is clearer as "every two weeks." Semi-monthly means twice a month (24 not 26 issues yearly). The current best description for many such publications is simpler: online, no longer published in print.

When there's confusion about biennial or bi-weekly, the writer has to use a longer phrase not as elegant. Red Hot Hockey could also be described as the every-odd-year competition dating to 2007. Gad, can it really be that long ago?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login