Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale Game Thread

Posted by scoop85 
Yale Game Thread
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 12:08PM

So far I’m doing ok with these, so let’s keep it going.

Re: Yale Game Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 06:14PM

"One, we want more..."

Date: November 20, 2021 07:21PM

Nice move there by Malone.

Date: November 20, 2021 07:31PM

We look like we forgot there was a game tonight. Yale has intercepted at least 5 passes in our end.

Re: Yale Game Thread - Cornell 3-0
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 07:33PM

In the first 10 minutes, Niklas Allain, the coach's kid, takes 2 trips to the box. With Cornell's early-season power play, minors are close to zero-consequence infractions. Gets himself a penalty hat trick in the last 2 minutes. Maybe he took pugnacity training from Bob Gaudet's two Dartmouth sons. [edit add:] Allain got four penalties on the night.

Meanwhile, head coach Allain is in his fifteenth season at Yale. It felt like 5, more likely 8 years. Sign we're getting old. Some of us.

Cornell broadcaster Grady Whittenburg notes Yale has yet to score a PPG this season. Geez, Grady, don't tempt the fates.

Stats
Team     1  2  3  -- T  SOG  PP   FO
Yale     0  0  0  -- 0   14  0x1  14
Cornell  0  2  1  -- 3   25  2x6  37

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 09:35PM by billhoward.

Date: November 20, 2021 07:43PM

I liked the way Brown set up their pp last night. There was very little movement -- counterintuitively. They just set up positions and started firing shots, and The Plan seemed to be that with the extra guy odds were they would get to more rebounds than we. The result was they wasted no time or risk moving the puck around the umbrella, they spent all their energy either shooting or chasing.

Now, I've rarely if ever seen that and there's probably a good reason why. But it just looked more effective than our "22 passes to set up one shot" routine.

Date: November 20, 2021 07:45PM

scoop85
We look like we forgot there was a game tonight. Yale has intercepted at least 5 passes in our end.
Mike has to be going out of his gourd at those self-inflicted screw ups. If Yale had a sniper we'd be behind by at least 2 already.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:06PM

Some nice saves by McDonald.

Somebody kill a bandy every time they play Chelsea Dagger or Sweet Caroline. Fuck Chicago / Fuck Boston.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-74.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 08:23PM

Well, that should've been a major.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:24PM

The Jeopardy Theme needs to die. Kill it with fire. It's not clever. It's nothing but the band masturbating itself. It sucks.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:28PM

Dafatone
And it is but Berard gets 2 for embellishment, which...

Date: November 20, 2021 08:30PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

Apparently there's a certain way you're supposed to handle getting elbowed flush in the jaw, and Berard failed to live up to that standard.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 20, 2021 08:30PM

Trotsky
Dafatone

That's a new one. Schafer will, and should, have some choice words to air after this one.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:32PM

Oh man. Northern Michigan outshot by Ferris State 44-18 tonight, and wins 7-6.

When did Linden Marshall transfer to Ferris?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 08:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:40PM

8 UMass losing.
7 Minny lost last night.
6 NoDak could be swept tonight.

Just keep winning, Red.

Date: November 20, 2021 08:42PM

Trotsky
Somebody kill a bandy every time they play Chelsea Dagger or Sweet Caroline. Fuck Chicago / Fuck Boston.
a) that would be only 2 PIM
b) Sweet Caroline in combination with Don't Stop Believing is the universal announcement that the Reunion music tent is winding down the final set. Sweet Caroline also gives drunk girls of all ages a chance to believe they carry a tune like Adele.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 09:27PM by billhoward.

Date: November 20, 2021 09:08PM

Maybe if the refs did their jobs properly, players wouldn't be trying to kill each other with six minutes left? Just something to try.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-194.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 09:16PM

Students. Sing the Gary glitter song after the band stops. It’s fantastic. Gonna keep beating this drum

Date: November 20, 2021 09:23PM

Another solid win; great defensive effort -- just 3 shots on Nate in the third.

Date: November 20, 2021 09:28PM

New cheer -- "Five point weeeekend!"

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 09:31PM

CU2007
Students. Sing the Gary glitter song after the band stops. It’s fantastic. Gonna keep beating this drum

Not a student anymore, but the band started playing it earlier, so now they finish the two verses before the refs drop the puck. It sucks. Need to bring back Gonna Fly Now when the teams come out and transition into Glitter.

Date: November 20, 2021 09:37PM

So, according to my calculations (FWIW), that was our 400th ECAC RS win at Lynah. 400 - 140 - 51.

Date: November 20, 2021 09:38PM

LGR14
CU2007

Not a student anymore, but the band started playing it earlier, so now they finish the two verses before the refs drop the puck. It sucks. Need to bring back Gonna Fly Now when the teams come out and transition into Glitter.
We all have our traditions. Meanwhile around the ECAC, Colgate students probably have an app advising what kind of pizza is served free at today's game to entice them, and Quinnipiac students time the middle-of-second-period bus back to main campus from the hill to maximize party time.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2021 10:54PM

LGR14
CU2007

Wait, we don't play Gonna Fly Now any more? :-(

I was also going to complain about Malone wearing #13, but I see from looking at Greg's numerical roster that we're otherwise actually out of numbers between 2 and 29, with 25 out of circulation. Of course, he's a Junior, so I either didn't notice it in 2018-2019, or I did, and have forgotten getting annoyed back then.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 20, 2021 10:54PM

billhoward

Did they actually chant that? I was thinking it, but I'm impressed if the students were on the ball enough to do it.

Date: November 20, 2021 10:56PM

Trotsky

I have trained my entire family to chant "Boston sucks" at the bom-bom-bom part of Sweet Caroline.

Posted by: laserwhisperer (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:10PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward

Did they actually chant that? I was thinking it, but I'm impressed if the students were on the ball enough to do it.

We chanted "Five point weekend!" "Five goal season!" at the front of section B, but I don't know that it made it all the way to the back of the section. "Six point weekend" last weekend definitely happened though.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:54PM

Well, I think it's safe to say that Yale will finish solidly 12th in the conference this year because they just did not look good and I wonder if they'll even win a game. It's wild how far things have fallen for them since they were a fairly regular NCAA team up until 5 years ago.

As far as Cornell is concerned, though, the guys will need to be a bit less sloppy with the passing against BU next weekend and especially against Clarkson in the North Country.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 11:55PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Dunc (107.77.76.---)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:07AM

LGR14
CU2007

The band still plays Gonna Fly Now, they just tend to start it a decent amount before the teams leave the locker rooms, so by the time the puck drops, it’s already transitioned into Gary glitter and 2 verses are done.

Posted by: Dunc (107.77.76.---)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:12AM

Trotsky

I agree on Fuck Chicago, I puke every time I hear Chelseas Dagger

But Go Bruins and Go Red Sox

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:12AM

Iceberg

As far as Cornell is concerned, though, the guys will need to be a bit less sloppy with the passing against BU next weekend ...
I can't wait!

Date: November 21, 2021 07:09AM

Dunc
Trotsky

The Bruins are fine.

The Red Sox are meh.

The people of Boston should be ground into a slurry and fed with arsenic to the people of Providence.

Save Fenway and Matthews; nuke the rest.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 07:11AM by Trotsky.

Date: November 21, 2021 09:49AM

Dunc
Trotsky

"Sweet Caroline" in Boston is fine, but it should not be played at a sporting event outside of New England.

"Rose Tattoo" seems like a better song for the Bruins, though, since it actually mentions the team.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-80.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2021 11:20AM

The bad news is that McDonald gives up huge rebounds. The good news is that I don't think I've seen him let in a goal other than after a huge rebound.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:11PM

jtwcornell91
Dunc
Trotsky

"Sweet Caroline" in Boston is fine, but it should not be played at a sporting event outside of New England.

"Rose Tattoo" seems like a better song for the Bruins, though, since it actually mentions the team.

Rose tattoo is amazing

Also this is one of the greatest hockey videos ever made: [vimeo.com] it’s to rose tattoo

Also sorry for off topic

Date: November 21, 2021 12:23PM

Dunc
Rose tattoo is amazing

Good to see hockey in the vanguard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 12:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:40PM

Macdonald made some nice saves in spots where we were not playing well both nights.. About all you can ask.. If the D ever stops throwing the hard pass when the nice pass would be fine it would help a bit. We dont need pretty break outs all the time.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: November 21, 2021 01:04PM

What did Howes injury appear to be? None of the recaps really said anything.

Date: November 21, 2021 01:06PM

McDonald surprised me -- he was anxious and flailing a lot against Brown and I thought "a good team is going to destroy this guy," but Yale had several high pressure chances on him and he did come through.

It's going to be good to have two cromulent goaltenders when we get into the stretch. This isn't Fawcett and Edmands.*

* Holy shit, this reference is 40 years old. This is like somebody talking to me as a freshman and name dropping Walter Huston.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 01:09PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 21, 2021 01:06PM

underskill
Grady didn't address it either night.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 21, 2021 02:44PM

Dafatone
The bad news is that McDonald gives up huge rebounds. The good news is that I don't think I've seen him let in a goal other than after a huge rebound.

The third goal against at Dartmouth was ugly, but yes, he's been fine aside from the rebound control. He's also very active at handling the puck and keeping play moving. Not Mitch Gillam level puckhandling skills but more than fine enough to help out defenders. Now we'll have to see how much the defenders help him the next two weekends because I suspect Howe may not be available until at least the ASU series

Date: November 21, 2021 03:34PM

Iceberg
I suspect Howe may not be available until at least the ASU series
Pessimism or you know something?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 21, 2021 04:04PM

Trotsky
underskill
Grady didn't address it either night.

radio pregame made it sound like weeks he would be out.. we may even see the 3rd kid next week.

Date: November 21, 2021 04:20PM

upprdeck
we may even see the 3rd kid next week.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2021 05:32PM

Trotsky
Pessimism or you know something?

I just deduced it based on the remaining schedule and the fact that the team would basically have 3-4 weeks off after the North Country trip. May as well let him rest if it's something that's enough to prevent him from playing both games this weekend or even suiting up to be on the bench. And it seems like upprdeck's post supports my theory.

Date: November 21, 2021 05:38PM

I guess if we are going to see Shane this year it will be at Appleton.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-142.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2021 06:34PM

My first year was the Fawcett Edmands year. The next year, with Dadswell and the notable addition of Nieuwendyk and the notable sunstraction of the Hockey East schools, we jumped way up. Partly the upgrade in goal, but obviously other issues there.

Date: November 21, 2021 10:19PM

arugula
My first year was the Fawcett Edmands year. The next year, with Dadswell and the notable addition of Nieuwendyk and the notable sunstraction of the Hockey East schools, we jumped way up. Partly the upgrade in goal, but obviously other issues there.
I can't remember if it was Edmands or Fawcett but I do recall one goal which was a puck flipped practically into the rafters (back in the days of no cross support beams and no silver conditioning) which simply came down onto the back of our goalie's mask and thence into the net.

This was right after back-to-back seasons with All-American goaltenders (Hayward and Eliot). It was... suboptimal. We gave up 5 or more goals 14 times in 26 games.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 10:23PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-142.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2021 11:36PM

Yes. It was a much higher scoring era but still

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2021 03:50AM

Trotsky
arugula
I can't remember if it was Edmands or Fawcett but I do recall one goal which was a puck flipped practically into the rafters (back in the days of no cross support beams and no silver conditioning) which simply came down onto the back of our goalie's mask and thence into the net.

This was right after back-to-back seasons with All-American goaltenders (Hayward and Eliot). It was... suboptimal. We gave up 5 or more goals 14 times in 26 games.

I thought that goal was vs Dadswell

Date: November 22, 2021 08:12AM

Which goalies dressed for Brown-Yale?

Meanwhile, at Notre Dame, Matt Galajda is 7-1-0, 1.38 GAA, .943 SV PCT.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 08:23AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2021 08:16AM

jtwcornell91
LGR14
CU2007

Wait, we don't play Gonna Fly Now any more? :-(

I was also going to complain about Malone wearing #13, but I see from looking at Greg's numerical roster that we're otherwise actually out of numbers between 2 and 29, with 25 out of circulation. Of course, he's a Junior, so I either didn't notice it in 2018-2019, or I did, and have forgotten getting annoyed back then.

I assume he chose the number. 12 was available his freshman year.

Please tell me why one should be annoyed with a player wearing 13. Please come up with something other than "bad luck". After all you're supposed to be a scientist.

Eventually the number is going to have to be used, or Schafer will break his "rule" and allow "non-traditional" numbers. 69 anyone?

Date: November 22, 2021 09:04AM

billhoward

Oddly, Galajda didn’t play in either of ND’s wins over Michigan this past weekend. I wonder if he’s hurt.

Date: November 22, 2021 09:17AM

scoop85
billhoward
Oddly, Galajda didn’t play in either of ND’s wins over Michigan this past weekend. I wonder if he’s hurt.
Sympathetic illness/injuries, Galajda and Howe? Meanwhile, that is quite a feat for ND to take down the #1 team twice, in OT.

You know, one downside to Galajda transferring is he's going to get two sets of alumni-fund appeals.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 22, 2021 09:44AM

Jim Hyla
Eventually the number is going to have to be used, or Schafer will break his "rule" and allow "non-traditional" numbers. 69 anyone?

Clarkson-ification.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2021 01:47PM

Geez no apologies Dunc. I never heard of it before and the video was fabulous. Even had a few shots of Dryden.

The man, not the town. Thanks.

Date: November 22, 2021 07:52PM

billhoward
scoop85
billhoward
Sympathetic illness/injuries, Galajda and Howe? Meanwhile, that is quite a feat for ND to take down the #1 team twice, in OT.

You know, one downside to Galajda transferring is he's going to get two sets of alumni-fund appeals.

Not only didn't Galajda play, by CHN Box Scores, he wasn't even dressed for either game.

Both games went to 18 min of OT. So is that only worth 52%?:-O

Date: November 23, 2021 12:13AM

Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91

Please tell me why one should be annoyed with a player wearing 13. Please come up with something other than "bad luck". After all you're supposed to be a scientist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 12:13AM by jtwcornell91.

Date: November 23, 2021 11:31AM

jtwcornell91
Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91

But which tradition? The "tradition" of not using 13, or the tradition of only 2-29?

One of them had to give and personally I'm glad you lost.:-D

Date: November 23, 2021 05:54PM

13 is my favorite integer so fuck y'all who are afraid of it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 05:54PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 23, 2021 06:01PM

Trotsky
13 is my favorite integer so fuck y'all who are afraid of it.

My family went on a river cruise for my 50th birthday, and the four of us booked a pair of adjacent cabins which were numbers 211 and 215. So apparently A-ROSA Flusskreuzfahrten are also triskadekaphobes.

Date: November 23, 2021 06:02PM

Well I don't have a dog in the 213 fight. It's not even prime.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 06:02PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 08:51PM

Spend some time in Asia - there's no 4th floor or 13th floor on many buildings. And if it's tall enough, no 40th through 49th either.

Posted by: cu155 (207.126.92.---)
Date: November 23, 2021 09:00PM

or 14 for that matter... My apartment building in Shanghai is missing all 3. Got to keep all the bad juju at bay.

Date: November 24, 2021 07:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Spend some time in Asia - there's no 4th floor or 13th floor on many buildings. And if it's tall enough, no 40th through 49th either.
It also lets you be on the prestigious 70th floor of a luxury apartment building that only rises 50 floors above ground.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 24, 2021 08:13AM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
It also lets you be on the prestigious 70th floor of a luxury apartment building that only rises 50 floors above ground.

Yup. Although 88th would be luckier.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2021 10:20AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

My beta copy of Windows 9 no doubt casts a shadow over my web wide postings.

Date: November 24, 2021 02:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

-- Stephen Miller

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-197-208.myvzw.com)
Date: November 24, 2021 08:25PM

scoop85
billhoward

Adam’s CHN article about ND, as their Team of the Week, said Galajda had the flu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login