Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Brown Game Thread

Posted by scoop85 
Brown Game Thread
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2021 08:50AM

Let’s get this going

Re: Brown Game Thread
Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 19, 2021 10:41AM

But how can we talk about the team in a thread other than "Game Thread?" The horror!

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2021 01:43PM

Thank you for breaking out individual games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2021 06:59PM

Or here, if you wish. I'm trying to cross-pollinate with The Keeeds. (Or at least with people under 40.)

Date: November 19, 2021 07:04PM

Howe hurt.

Date: November 19, 2021 07:31PM

STIENBURG!!!

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2021 07:40PM

Trotsky
STIENBURG!!!

A very nice goal.

And it looked great on the big tv with the new roku stick / espn+ streaming (vs. streaming via chromecast on a chromecast thingy-ma-jiggy that is like 6 years old). I have to say the Roku stick was very easy to set up.

Date: November 19, 2021 07:42PM

First 10 minutes, shots: Cornell 6-5
Next 10 minutes, shots: Cornell 11-0

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2021 08:45PM

losing my mind at cornell's unwillingness to take a less than perfect shot and try to score ugly.

Date: November 19, 2021 08:49PM

Guh. The band didn't forget the Jeopardy theme. yark

Date: November 19, 2021 09:23PM

once again the 3x3 game of the Cornell Big Red against teams that they should not need overtime to beat is impressive

Date: November 19, 2021 09:25PM

Welp, we left a point out there but I'll take it.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2021 09:33PM

We have to get the power play going, but otherwise we were the better team and deserved the win.

Date: November 19, 2021 09:35PM

We are also going to have to protect my homie Nate more if he continues to play, with all those sweet rebounds.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2021 09:58PM

That was my first game at Lynah in ~7 years. It felt great to be in that atmosphere again and it was nice to see a more exciting brand of hockey than what I usually saw as a student there in the days of Iles and Ferlin. Definitely fewer chants from section A than I remember but I have a feeling the staff may have something to do with that.

As for the game, I got there in time for the second half of the 1st period when Cornell was throwing everything at Caron, who looked incredibly shaky. Brown definitely got better at forechecking and defending in the 2nd period to limit any shots off the ice although they certainly benefited from the penalties. I never saw Dirven's hit from where I was sitting in section O but it must have been behind the play. I was surprised to see a major on the board. Things will definitely need to be a bit better tomorrow night.

Also at the end of the game, one of the linesmen was nice enough to give the puck to a family for their little girl not too far from where I was sitting
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 10:02PM by Iceberg.

Date: November 19, 2021 10:10PM

scoop85
We have to get the power play going, but otherwise we were the better team and deserved the win.
too much four corners not enough cutting or screening imo

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-144.myvzw.com)
Date: November 19, 2021 11:17PM

Can anyone explain how we win a game and drop from 18 to 23 in Pairwise and Sucks doesn’t play and moves up a spot. I know I know it’s complicated but jeez.

Date: November 19, 2021 11:19PM

arugula
Can anyone explain how we win a game and drop from 18 to 23 in Pairwise and Sucks doesn’t play and moves up a spot. I know I know it’s complicated but jeez.
brown sucks and we had to go to overtime to beat them, so it's only barely better than a tie against a weak team

Date: November 19, 2021 11:20PM

arugula
It's not that complicated, it's strength of schedule -- Brown is 53 in PWR. It will be even more fun tomorrow when we play Yale -- dead last at 59.

The bad news is three teams in the ECAC are 50 or worse (Union is 50). The good news is after tomorrow we will have played once against them all. The bad news is we play them again, and Dartmouth isn't much better at 43.

What do they all have in common? They took a year off. So we should be pretty damn pleased right now. Bad SOS and a good record is a First World Problem.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 11:25PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-144.myvzw.com)
Date: November 19, 2021 11:32PM

Why doesn’t this effect (affect?) Harvard? Is it really better to lose to a good team (Northeastern, Clarkson) than beat a bad one?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-74.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 12:43AM

A lot of it is how early in the year we are. Every game is a big swing.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 04:42AM

arugula
Why doesn’t this effect (affect?) Harvard? Is it really better to lose to a good team (Northeastern, Clarkson) than beat a bad one?

From what was mentioned here a few weeks ago we only get credit for 55% of a win when the win occurs in overtime. 3 of Cornell's wins are discounted in this way in the national computer ranking.

How about QPutz tonight? As they won a shootout is that worth the same or less than the Cornell win (assuming they were both vs a common opponent for example)?

This year's math makes me feel like an SEC athlete and then there's the 3 points per game thing.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 05:09AM

marty
arugula

From what was mentioned here a few weeks ago we only get credit for 55% of a win when the win occurs in overtime. 3 of Cornell's wins are discounted in this way in the national computer ranking.

How about QPutz tonight? As they won a shootout is that worth the same or less than the Cornell win (assuming they were both vs a common opponent for example)?

This year's math makes me feel like an SEC athlete and then there's the 3 points per game thing.

For the ECAC, OT and SO wins are both worth 2 out of 3 points. For the NCAA's PWR calculation, an OT win is worth 55% of a win, while a SO win is worth 50% of a win. I.e. the SO is ignored.

Thus, for the ECAC they are the same, but for the NCAA they are not.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 20, 2021 09:36AM

once we went on the PP and the next 25 Min included 5 and the major our fore check stalled out and Brown got back in the game but Brown really didnt do much except mucked it around as much as possible. On the major we had 3 high quality chances. our PP just needs to speed it up a bit. MacDonald played well and the Brown kid made several nice saves but also lost the puck more times then I recall any goalie in one game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 10:48AM

It’s annoyingly complicated on the RPI/PWR side of things. “Just win, baby” has basically become “Just win in regulation, baby”

Date: November 20, 2021 11:22AM

CU2007
It’s annoyingly complicated on the RPI/PWR side of things. “Just win, baby” has basically become “Just win in regulation, baby”

If you think of OT games as basically ties for RPI purposes, it makes things simpler.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:41AM

Dafatone
CU2007

If you think of OT games as basically ties for RPI purposes, it makes things simpler.
So...now we endure unnatural hockey (3 on 3; shootouts) because you just can't abide having a tie, and simply must have a winner, but the resulting RPI/PWR outcome is doomed to be...essentially...a tie.

Date: November 20, 2021 12:10PM

Al DeFlorio
Dafatone
CU2007

So...now we endure unnatural hockey (3 on 3; shootouts) because you just can't abide having a tie, and simply must have a winner, but the resulting RPI/PWR outcome is doomed to be...essentially...a tie.

Pretty much. I think I liked it better the old way. 3 on 3 hockey is fun, but it shouldn't count for anything, which means ties at end of regulation.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 12:14PM

Dafatone
Al DeFlorio
Dafatone
CU2007

Pretty much. I think I liked it better the old way. 3 on 3 hockey is fun, but it shouldn't count for anything, which means ties at end of regulation.

+1

Date: November 20, 2021 01:38PM

upprdeck
our PP just needs to speed it up a bit.
and mix it up with cutting and crashing. the passing on the umbrella just hasn't been crisp and it seems like every time the pass is designed to set up a slapshot always comes in too tight and the cycle has to restart. if you pass for 45 seconds and keep possession but don't even get a shot off that's a huge failure.

Date: November 20, 2021 02:26PM

Dafatone
Al DeFlorio
Dafatone
CU2007

It's not even that fun. It's basically lax. One team controls for as long as they want, gets off a shot, and then half the time they get it back and set up again, and half the time the roles reverse. zzzzzzzzzzz.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 02:26PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 04:52PM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Al DeFlorio
Dafatone
CU2007

It's not even that fun. It's basically lax. One team controls for as long as they want, gets off a shot, and then half the time they get it back and set up again, and half the time the roles reverse. zzzzzzzzzzz.
Right. It's not hockey. It's a gimmick. As is a shootout. Next it'll be a relay race: one forward, one defenseman, and the starting goalie. Three laps each around the goals. Goalie carries his stick.

Date: November 20, 2021 05:30PM

It's shinny. Shinny is fun.

Date: November 20, 2021 06:06PM

ugarte
It's shinny. Shinny is fun.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:35PM

People, it's before the New Year, stop tracking PWR.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-197-140.myvzw.com)
Date: November 21, 2021 04:03PM

French Rage
never

Date: November 21, 2021 04:12PM

ugarte
French Rage
never

[www.dailymotion.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login