Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

harvard game

Posted by upprdeck 
harvard game
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 05, 2021 09:46PM

I dont think I have seen a puck go off a pipe with the net already off and then have it changed from no goal to a goal. it kinda makes everything that happens after that in doubt. maybe the net being on the rebound goes some other place than off the goalie.. normally a shot goes off an then the net comes off and they sometimes allow it to count.

Re: harvard game
Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 05, 2021 09:50PM

Yeah, that was a dubious overturn. The explanation of the color guy made sense but the question is whether it is supported by the rulebook.

As for the game, it wasn't a bad performance. That blind pass that led to the 2nd Harvard goal was inexcusable, though. Howe played well enough to win the game and had a pretty good performance.

Maybe the most physical Harvard team I've seen in a while? They definitely have better talent up front and a few very good D (i.e. Thrun). That said, it was definitely a winnable game although not the ideal result
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2021 09:50PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-8.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 09:55PM

Another friday night filled with pain

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-194.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:00PM

After taking my five minutes of being pissed off, a very heartening performance. Gibson was the difference. The save on the pp, the breakaway save. Play 10 games like that and we win 8-9. Howe will get better. He was good just not as good as Gibson. I thought we kept up with Harvard’s speed and the talent gap was not gaping. Ondrej was very noticeable as were Rego and Kempf among the new guys. Big one tomorrow. Can’t do the usual Dartmouth trap game thing.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-66.myvzw.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:04PM

upprdeck
I dont think I have seen a puck go off a pipe with the net already off and then have it changed from no goal to a goal. it kinda makes everything that happens after that in doubt. maybe the net being on the rebound goes some other place than off the goalie.. normally a shot goes off an then the net comes off and they sometimes allow it to count.

I'll say this. If it were our goal and it was waived off because the goalie kicked the net off and then it went in without being touched by a guy on our team, I'd be absolutely furious.

So, hard for me to be mad about that. Little mad about some of the other officiating.

We played a good team very well. I don't think I've ever seen a Cornell team fall to the ice that often. Not sure if it was the ice, swallowed whistles, tired legs, or what.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:09PM

arugula
After taking my five minutes of being pissed off, a very heartening performance. Gibson was the difference. The save on the pp, the breakaway save. Play 10 games like that and we win 8-9. Howe will get better. He was good just not as good as Gibson. I thought we kept up with Harvard’s speed and the talent gap was not gaping. Ondrej was very noticeable as were Rego and Kempf among the new guys. Big one tomorrow. Can’t do the usual Dartmouth trap game thing.

All good points. Gibson robbing Mitchell was the turning point, as I think if we took back the lead we would have been looking pretty good. But I thought we played a strong game and really had Harvard on its heals with a strong forecheck. After the Alaska series, and with the way Harvard dominated Dartmouth and Bentley, I had some concerns about how we would stack up. But we more than held our own and will win plenty of games if we keep that up.

But as you say, we have to bring it tomorrow to make something of the weekend.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:11PM

Iceberg
Maybe the most physical Harvard team I've seen in a while? They definitely have better talent up front and a few very good D (i.e. Thrun). That said, it was definitely a winnable game although not the ideal result

Thrun? He's clearly their Kaldis. Kid seems to play the whole damn game. I don't wish him ill by any means, but if he somehow ends up injured their D is going to be in major trouble.

Harvard responded physically because we started to push them around a little, particularly for that stretch (I think) when we settled down in the second half of the first. Quite a few coulda, woulda, shoulda's from the Big Red tonight: whiffs, broken sticks, and whatever. (Harvard really only had one—that one-timer little Donato absolutely blew.) Stienberg's goal was nice, and, although I wanted a benching after the first A-F game, I won't want him benched for tomorrow's game. He was very active and getting to the right places. Kempf really labeled a few shots tonight and overall looked good. I wish Dirven had gotten rewarded for one of his good snap shots and timely pinches.

So they buried their (few) chances and we missed many of ours. Their first goal came on what seemed to me to be pretty much our first true defensive lapse of the season. I don't know who to blame yet, mostly because the camera work tonight was… iffy. The second goal was one of those where, well, you knew it about ten seconds before it went in because of how boneheaded that blown clear was. The third goal was pretty crap, particularly coming after the third straight penalty on us. (Obviously make-up call right after on Harvard, though.)

Holding Harvard to so few shots is a good indicator. Points up exactly how good the A-F defense was at limiting our shots. To me, Gibson still looks shaky, and I'd go with the Clarkson strategy of old next time: just keep throwing the puck on net and good things will happen. (Harvard also seems to be not exactly world beaters at face-offs, so a bunch of whistles in the offensive end doesn't seem to hurt all the much.)

I will assume that Schafer will look at that stretch where we started to cycle low on offense and just say, "Boys! Play like this all the time and we're going to put some pucks in the net."

Dartmouth is clearly no pushover, but I'm optimistic that we'll be able to avoid the Thompson curse.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 06, 2021 09:40AM

the team took a big step forward after last week. Lots of room for improvement, but the quality of the shots was better as was the volume.. Harvard has skill and speed and clearly you breakdown and give up a couple goals on breakdowns it will hurt. Still after the slow beginning they out shot and out chanced them by a large margin. Do we have the ability to put the puck in the net as the season goes on? Good to see after losing the lead we really came back at them hard had chances right to the very end.

Date: November 06, 2021 11:41AM

Also, where is everyone? Maybe attending the games, since we've played at Lynah and Lynah East so far?

Not used to seeing so few posts on game days.

Date: November 06, 2021 11:49AM

Dafatone
Also, where is everyone? Maybe attending the games, since we've played at Lynah and Lynah East so far?

I thought people might be using the Reddit thread, but that wasn’t active last night either. Perhaps I’ll start a Dartmouth game thread and see if that gets some traction.

Date: November 06, 2021 11:57AM

scoop85
Dafatone

I thought people might be using the Reddit thread, but that wasn’t active last night either. Perhaps I’ll start a Dartmouth game thread and see if that gets some traction.

Sounds good. Granted, I could have started a game thread, but whining seemed more my style.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 06, 2021 12:09PM

Speaking of attendance, it didn't seem as loud as it usually is at Lynah East. Maybe the broadcast muted the audio a bit but it almost appeared like any other road game as far as atmosphere.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2021 12:16PM

Iceberg
Speaking of attendance, it didn't seem as loud as it usually is at Lynah East. Maybe the broadcast muted the audio a bit but it almost appeared like any other road game as far as atmosphere.

No band!

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2021 12:22PM

As difficult as it is to praise anything related to Harvard, I thought the TV announcers were good. They did not come across as homers and weren't afraid to praise Cornell players. This is my first year watching the games via streaming, so maybe previous posters have commented on this. But this was my first time watching the game.
I've actually been to most of the Lynah East games in person over the past decade, but it didn't work out this year. Hopefully, I'll be there in person again next season.

Date: November 06, 2021 12:34PM

dbilmes
As difficult as it is to praise anything related to Harvard, I thought the TV announcers were good. They did not come across as homers and weren't afraid to praise Cornell players. This is my first year watching the games via streaming, so maybe previous posters have commented on this. But this was my first time watching the game.
I've actually been to most of the Lynah East games in person over the past decade, but it didn't work out this year. Hopefully, I'll be there in person again next season.

They were a pleasant surprise, I'll admit. Fully expect tonight's announcers to be gross, but that's my general attitude towards Dartmouth.

Date: November 06, 2021 01:29PM

Dafatone
dbilmes

They were a pleasant surprise, I'll admit. Fully expect tonight's announcers to be gross, but that's my general attitude towards Dartmouth.

The Harvard announcers have always been solid—-along with Grady, best in the ECAC.

Now tonight’s guy at Dartmouth? Not so much.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-201.myvzw.com)
Date: November 06, 2021 03:24PM

Yes the announcers were quite good. Actually informative about items like the lively boards and predicting the goal reversal. Not connected to Harvard, just local Boston guys from what the web turned up. As to the crowd, the announcers kept insisting that it was sold out. Perhaps all the tickets were sold but there were tons of empty seats. Early in the season. People aren’t back into it yet, plus they jacked up the prices.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2021 03:59PM

Clarkson’s announcer are awful. Every time he says the time or the score he says something like “on the Potsdam general hospital scoreboard”

Posted by: marty (---.colocrossing.com)
Date: November 06, 2021 07:52PM

CU2007
Clarkson’s announcer are awful. Every time he says the time or the score he says something like “on the Potsdam general hospital scoreboard”

Not as disgusting as the RPI rink announcer calling out the "Dewey Cheathem and Howe" powerplay called every time the opponent is a man down.

Counselor Dewey occasionally showed up in Section 7 in an attempt to enjoy the games vs. Cornell. He was within earshot when I announced the Ruth Bader Ginsburg powerplays when RPI was a man down.

This was before all the townies were banned from the rink because we are seemingly assumed to be rabid.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2021 07:53PM by marty.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2021 04:51PM

Dafatone

I was in Monument Valley. That probably didn't help. :-)

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2021 09:02AM

That councilor is a Dartmouth grad. You can tell by the Lone Pine Tattoo and the liver that looks like a raisin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login