Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alaska Post Mortem

Posted by scoop85 
Alaska Post Mortem
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2021 01:06PM

Some observations from our first weekend of games that counted in a year-and-a-half:

• We are unlikely to be anywhere as creative an offensive team as the stellar 2019-20 version and will rely far more on greasy goals 5 x 5 or on the power play for offense. We still have some skill guys like Andreev (who struggles to finish), Locke, and Berard, but none of the newcomers look like they’re suited to fill the skill void of the guys we lost.
  • While MacDonald was fine, Howe seemed steadier in net and had the look of a #1 goaltender
  • Our defensive structure was fine, although Alaska did not have much offensive talent
  • While offensively challenged, Alaska gave us virtually no space, and except for occasional stretches we didn’t do a great job on the forecheck, and our breakouts were subpar
  • I thought our passing was a bit better in Saturday’s game, but not great overall
  • Of the new guys, in addition to Howe, Psenicka, Kempf, Ertel, and Rego were most noticeable.
  • The power play was much too deliberate, allowing Alaska time to get into the shooting lanes and block shots. We’ll need to pick it up.
  • Although he wasn’t challenged a ton, Alaska’s goalie had great positioning and looks to be an upper-tier college goalie
  • Harvard scored 16 goals against decent competition this weekend, and we’ll need to be much better to compete with them. We should have more space to operate, but their high-powered offense will put tons of pressure on our D and goaltender.
  • I may have been a tad optimistic predicting a top-4 finish, although I don’t think it’s out of the question as the team gels. It should be an interesting season, and I’m thrilled to have Cornell hockey back.

Re: Alaska Post Mortem
Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: October 31, 2021 01:59PM

scoop85
We are unlikely to be anywhere as creative an offensive team as the stellar 2019-20 version and will rely far more on greasy goals 5 x 5 or on the power play for offense. We still have some skill guys like Andreev (who struggles to finish), Locke, and Berard, but none of the newcomers look like they’re suited to fill the skill void of the guys we lost.

If in your memory everyone who is gone was a Barron, Donaldson, or Kaldis, good luck. They're mostly not replaceable with freshmen or sophomores. Kaldis was an overage defensemen who looked like a junior from his first game. Barron and Donaldson were unusual offensive talents; yet, they only scored 18 and 13, respectively, their freshman years.

But, jeez, have some patience! In assessing the current crop, I can completely see Rego turning into a Kaldis replacement. (I'd like a Charlie Cook or Mark McRae replacement, but I digress.) To engage your '85-ness, Kempf reminds me of Chris Norton more than anyone has in a long time, both good and bad. Psenicka reminds me a bit of Bâby: a kind of player we haven't had for quite a while. The point isn't completely to replace any one player, but for the coaches to form a team that takes advantage of the players it has. We're definitely, as you said, going to need to get better at scoring greasy goals. We might have the right personnel to do so, for the first time in a bit.

While MacDonald was fine, Howe seemed steadier in net and had the look of a #1 goaltender

Yeah, I give Howe the edge going forward, but I would keep the platoon for right now. I'd start Howe at Harvard and McDonald at Dartmouth, but then I'm usually wrong about such things. (See Elliott, Jason.)

While offensively challenged, Alaska gave us virtually no space, and except for occasional stretches we didn’t do a great job on the forecheck, and our breakouts were subpar

I thought the breakouts were more than fine, but then I'm used to us being atrocious in the early season.

The power play was much too deliberate, allowing Alaska time to get into the shooting lanes and block shots. We’ll need to pick it up.

I want more snap shots from the point. Until one of the defensemen becomes the next coming of the above mentioned Cook or McRae, stop trying to bang it home. Low and to the stick.

Although he wasn’t challenged a ton, Alaska’s goalie had great positioning and looks to be an upper-tier college goalie

I am glad he is on their team and not on some team in the ECAC, that's for sure.

Harvard scored 16 goals against decent competition this weekend, and we’ll need to be much better to compete with them. We should have more space to operate, but their high-powered offense will put tons of pressure on our D and goaltender.

Dartmouth is in the first year of a new coach and majorly rebuilding; Bentley is Bentley. Surely Harvard's supermen will excel under Donato's sage tutelage, but we have no idea if they've faced decent competition. I predict high-powered offense and a very suspect defense. They return only three with significant minutes, and only Thrun is as good as our returners. Gibson is .867 so far this season against above mentioned "decent competition."

I may have been a tad optimistic predicting a top-4 finish, although I don’t think it’s out of the question as the team gels. It should be an interesting season, and I’m thrilled to have Cornell hockey back.

As I said somewhere else, definitely top 8, probably top 6, likely top 4. I don't think you're being that optimistic.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 02:02PM by Scersk '97.

Date: October 31, 2021 02:09PM

Scersk '97
scoop85
We are unlikely to be anywhere as creative an offensive team as the stellar 2019-20 version and will rely far more on greasy goals 5 x 5 or on the power play for offense. We still have some skill guys like Andreev (who struggles to finish), Locke, and Berard, but none of the newcomers look like they’re suited to fill the skill void of the guys we lost.

If in your memory everyone who is gone was a Barron, Donaldson, or Kaldis, good luck. They're mostly not replaceable with freshmen or sophomores. Kaldis was an overage defensemen who looked like a junior from his first game. Barron and Donaldson were unusual offensive talents; yet, they only scored 18 and 13, respectively, their freshman years.

But, jeez, have some patience! In assessing the current crop, I can completely see Rego turning into a Kaldis replacement. (I'd like a Charlie Cook or Mark McRae replacement, but I digress.) To engage your '85-ness, Kempf reminds me of Chris Norton more than anyone has in a long time, both good and bad. Psenicka reminds me a bit of Bâby: a kind of player we haven't had for quite a while. The point isn't completely to replace any one player, but for the coaches to form a team that takes advantage of the players it has. We're definitely, as you said, going to need to get better at scoring greasy goals. We might have the right personnel to do so, for the first time in a bit.

While MacDonald was fine, Howe seemed steadier in net and had the look of a #1 goaltender

Yeah, I give Howe the edge going forward, but I would keep the platoon for right now. I'd start Howe at Harvard and McDonald at Dartmouth, but then I'm usually wrong about such things. (See Elliott, Jason.)

While offensively challenged, Alaska gave us virtually no space, and except for occasional stretches we didn’t do a great job on the forecheck, and our breakouts were subpar

I thought the breakouts were more than fine, but then I'm used to us being atrocious in the early season.

The power play was much too deliberate, allowing Alaska time to get into the shooting lanes and block shots. We’ll need to pick it up.

I want more snap shots from the point. Until one of the defensemen becomes the next coming of the above mentioned Cook or McRae, stop trying to bang it home. Low and to the stick.

Although he wasn’t challenged a ton, Alaska’s goalie had great positioning and looks to be an upper-tier college goalie

I am glad he is on their team and not on some team in the ECAC, that's for sure.

Harvard scored 16 goals against decent competition this weekend, and we’ll need to be much better to compete with them. We should have more space to operate, but their high-powered offense will put tons of pressure on our D and goaltender.

Dartmouth is in the first year of a new coach and majorly rebuilding; Bentley is Bentley. Surely Harvard's supermen will excel under Donato's sage tutelage, but we have no idea if they've faced decent competition. I predict high-powered offense and a very suspect defense. They return only three with significant minutes, and only Thrun is as good as our returners. Gibson is .867 so far this season against above mentioned "decent competition."

I may have been a tad optimistic predicting a top-4 finish, although I don’t think it’s out of the question as the team gels. It should be an interesting season, and I’m thrilled to have Cornell hockey back.

As I said somewhere else, definitely top 8, probably top 6, likely top 4. I don't think you're being that optimistic.

Thanks for your analysis of my analysis-always nice to get some thoughtful feedback.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 04:43PM

4 point weekend after not playing a real game in 18 months is a great start.
Look forward to building chemistry and developing finish over the course of the season.
See you all in Lynah East next weekend.

Posted by: cbuckser (104.129.192.---)
Date: October 31, 2021 05:46PM

MattShaf
4 point weekend after not playing a real game in 18 months is a great start.
Look forward to building chemistry and developing finish over the course of the season.
See you all in Lynah East next weekend.
If we award metaphorical points for nonconference games, we should keep in mind that, according to the RPI/PWR's overtime-result weighting, it was a 2.2-point weekend.

Come to think of it, I should start a new thread about overtime results.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 08:44PM

Bentley may be Bentley, but they did beat BC, 6-2.

Date: October 31, 2021 08:50PM

Al DeFlorio

Yeah, I should’ve mentioned that in support of my point.

Date: October 31, 2021 10:27PM

scoop85
Thanks for your analysis of my analysis-always nice to get some thoughtful feedback.

It's eLynah. We don't do memes. Much.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 11:08PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Yeah, I should’ve mentioned that in support of my point.

Vermont beat BC as well. Perhaps not a good early season measuring stick

Posted by: The Rancor (98.51.3.---)
Date: October 31, 2021 11:36PM

a pair of OT wins against an OOC Team week 1? I'll take it.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 01, 2021 09:08AM

considering the layoff and Alaska had multiple games under their belt not sure it was a bad result.. Maybe in 3-4 weeks we are still struggling to score, but dont give up hope. We didnt generate a ton of odd man rushes, but still there were more than enough quality shots that were saved or missed the net. If we had won 4-2/3-1 in regulation would people feel better?

We held them to very few chances, the 2 goals Fri were from a puck getting stuck at the point in our skates and turned into a semi break and an ugly goal where the goalie got whacked and all turned around.

If we are gonna hold teams to 20 shots we can stay in games. We did well on faceoffs in game 2.

PP looked good on friday twice and a bit over thinking trying to get the perfect play much of the time..

the next 2 weeks we find out much more.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2021 12:28PM

upprdeck
considering the layoff and Alaska had multiple games under their belt not sure it was a bad result.. Maybe in 3-4 weeks we are still struggling to score, but dont give up hope. We didnt generate a ton of odd man rushes, but still there were more than enough quality shots that were saved or missed the net. If we had won 4-2/3-1 in regulation would people feel better?

We held them to very few chances, the 2 goals Fri were from a puck getting stuck at the point in our skates and turned into a semi break and an ugly goal where the goalie got whacked and all turned around.

If we are gonna hold teams to 20 shots we can stay in games. We did well on faceoffs in game 2.

PP looked good on friday twice and a bit over thinking trying to get the perfect play much of the time..

the next 2 weeks we find out much more.

We also got pretty lucky, too, with the GTG Friday night coming on an own goal.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: November 01, 2021 09:52PM

Scersk '97

Jerk.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2021 11:52PM

Scersk '97
scoop85

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 02, 2021 01:13PM

French Rage
Scersk '97

Jerk.

Typical. rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login