Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton

Posted by GBR1234 
Princeton
Posted by: GBR1234 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2021 07:52PM

ESPN+ subscription $69.95
2 White Claws (Black Cherry) $6.00
Watching CU Hockey for the first time in more than 500 days... Priceless!

Re: Princeton
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2021 11:18AM

For those of us who didn't go to Reddit or didn't watch the game, could someone please post their initial impressions of this year's team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2021 11:46AM

Surprisingly good coordination (passing, playmaking) among them considering the lack of game experience. Ertel and Kempf stood out to me -- Ertel (rhymes with turtle) has a soft touch, Kempf was already acting like a leader and a quarterback.

Hard to judge because Princeton was a mess and very passive.

Impossible to judge the goaltending -- there was zero pressure.

The only thing I feel comfortable saying for sure is we aren't a complete dumpster fire. It's an actual hockey team with actual players who seem to know something about what they're doing. We'll have to wait for real competition to judge more.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2021 01:50PM

Trotsky
Surprisingly good coordination (passing, playmaking) among them considering the lack of game experience. Ertel and Kempf stood out to me -- Ertel (rhymes with turtle) has a soft touch, Kempf was already acting like a leader and a quarterback.

The only thing I feel comfortable saying for sure is we aren't a complete dumpster fire. It's an actual hockey team with actual players who seem to know something about what they're doing. We'll have to wait for real competition to judge more.

My sense is you’ve been overly pessimistic about this team. We have plenty of experience and depth throughout the lineup. If our goaltending is even average by Cornell standards we’re a top-4 ECAC team

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 17, 2021 02:01PM

unil we see how the alaska series goes we dont have even a partial picture to look at.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 17, 2021 05:08PM

scoop85
Trotsky

My sense is you’ve been overly pessimistic about this team. We have plenty of experience and depth throughout the lineup. If our goaltending is even average by Cornell standards we’re a top-4 ECAC team

Goaltending is THE big question, IMO. And as Trotsky said, this game didn't show anything on that front.

Date: October 17, 2021 08:20PM

even without pressure there were 4-5 really nice saves.. whether that equates to a whole game of nice saves we will see..

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 17, 2021 09:53PM

scoop85
Trotsky

i'm less pessimistic than i am in the dark. we lost so much to graduation and transfer and we were sooooooo good that being a top-4 team in the ECAC is a huge comedown. we have to readjust to enjoying a team that is Normal Good instead of title contenders.

Date: October 17, 2021 10:20PM

ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky

i'm less pessimistic than i am in the dark. we lost so much to graduation and transfer and we were sooooooo good that being a top-4 team in the ECAC is a huge comedown. we have to readjust to enjoying a team that is Normal Good instead of title contenders.

This is where I am as well.

I think it is easy to forget that we aren't entitled to top-4 finishes.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.143.---)
Date: October 17, 2021 10:26PM

dbilmes
For those of us who didn't go to Reddit or didn't watch the game, could someone please post their initial impressions of this year's team.

is there a big reddit scene for cornell hockey?

Date: October 17, 2021 11:08PM

people still assume every other team is not still messed up after last couple of years. look at CFB this year.. crazy results all over.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2021 08:05AM

upprdeck
unil we see how the alaska series goes we dont have even a partial picture to look at.

This weeks game against U-18 should show a lot. They have played 9 games and are 3-1 against NCAA teams. Beat MSU,ND, MTU and lost to NMU.

Date: October 18, 2021 09:29PM

The Rancor
dbilmes

is there a big reddit scene for cornell hockey?
There is a Cornell hockey reddit site here: [www.reddit.com]

We are trying to grow it. We went from under 100 to over 200 members in the last 6 months.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2021 09:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 12:16PM

Photos of the Princeton game (and the closed-door Red-White game) are here: [www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2021 01:07PM

While goaltending is the key question this season, I'm not super concerned. After all, when was the last time Cornell had lousy goaltenders. Or even mediocre goaltending for that matter?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-198-73.myvzw.com)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:09PM

margolism
While goaltending is the key question this season, I'm not super concerned. After all, when was the last time Cornell had lousy goaltenders. Or even mediocre goaltending for that matter?

2006-2007 was Ben Scrivens' freshman year when he split time with Troy Davenport. Together, they were better than mediocre, but not by a ton.

Date: October 20, 2021 04:53PM

margolism
Edmands and Fawcett in 84 were both bad and came in with zero experience.

And then in 87 the whole team was terrible.

94 is the last year we didn't have at least a very good goalie. Since then:

95-98 Elliott    2.89  .910
99-02 Underhill  2.32  .913
02-03 LeNeveu    1.29  .938
04-06 McKee      1.71  .926
07-10 Scrivens   1.93  .930
11-14 Iles       2.26  .917
14-17 Gillam     2.15  .923
18-20 Galajda    1.61  .931

We have been SUPER fortunate.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 05:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2021 01:12PM

In the past, when a goalie departed early, the coaching staff had someone coming in already, or got someone to come to Ithaca a year early. We'll see we happens. Good defensemen make goalies look good. The system.

Posted by: cbuckser (104.129.192.---)
Date: October 21, 2021 02:44PM

Both Matt Underhill and Ben Scrivens improved their rebound control tremendously during their time on East Hill. Not coincidentally, aside from Mike Schafer's first season as head coach, Underhill and Scrivens's freshmen years are the only seasons during the Schafer Era in which Cornell goaltenders had a collective save percentage under .900.

The recent exhibition game against Princeton reminded me of the scrimmage we played at Baker Rink in October 1998. Matt Underhill kicked so many rebounds into the slot that day, I didn't dare dream that he would give up fewer than two goals per game in his junior and senior years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login