Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red Hot Hockey "Presale"

Posted by Beeeej 
Red Hot Hockey "Presale"
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2021 08:49AM

Yup, tix for BU vs. CU at MSG, Nov. 27 go on sale today at noon EDT.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Red Hot Hockey "Presale"
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 02, 2021 12:11PM

where did you get a presale code

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2021 12:19PM

ugarte
where did you get a presale code

Sorry gang, I didn't realize today's Presale required a code. Regular sale starts tomorrow at 12pm EDT.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2021 04:56PM

The code is "PRECORNELL" or "PREBU"

Date: October 16, 2021 08:24PM

Not a ton of the cheap tix left for this in the Cornell section.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 12:48PM

Interestingly, the Cornell sections seem to be just about sold out on Ticketmaster (still some Cornell seats available on StubHub), while the BU sections seem to be almost entirely unsold.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 01:50PM

CU2007
Interestingly, the Cornell sections seem to be just about sold out on Ticketmaster (still some Cornell seats available on StubHub), while the BU sections seem to be almost entirely unsold.
This is dog-bites-man news.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 04:51PM

billhoward
CU2007

I guess the point was more about the very very small amount of BU tickets sold, as they seem to have been reasonably well represented at this event in years past.

Date: November 03, 2021 11:45AM

CU2007
billhoward
CU2007

I guess the point was more about the very very small amount of BU tickets sold, as they seem to have been reasonably well represented at this event in years past.
yeah MSG is loud when BU scores. they show up.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2021 10:54AM

Just received this in my email. $25 tickets for the game at MSG. I took a quick look and tried to use the code but it didn't seem to work for me. I got a code not valid message when trying different price ranges...maybe the email came out before they were ready. If anyone has time to look at it and figures it out please post.
[view.email1.msg.com]

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 11:29AM

Virtually all of the available tickets are in the BU half of the Garden, it seems.

Date: November 23, 2021 11:31AM

jts15
Just received this in my email. $25 tickets for the game at MSG. I took a quick look and tried to use the code but it didn't seem to work for me. I got a code not valid message when trying different price ranges...maybe the email came out before they were ready. If anyone has time to look at it and figures it out please post.
[view.email1.msg.com]

It worked for me when I clicked unlock and then entered the code REDHOT.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2021 12:04PM

Weder
Virtually all of the available tickets are in the BU half of the Garden, it seems.

My wife is ill so it doesn't look I'll be going. I have 4 on CU side, Section106, Row 5. If anyone is interested text me 315-877-1180.

I looked at the Ticket Exchange, but doubt anyone would look there.

If no one is interested, I'll list them on StubHub.

Date: November 24, 2021 09:19AM

It worked good. You have to let them pick your seats once you decide which (apparently only BU) BU section you want to sit in. The rent-seeking fees (i.e., charging a lot to perform a low-cost service) increased the ticket price by ~50%. But at least we're in the building.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 24, 2021 11:49AM

just a question.. since the crowd will be smaller than normal is there a reason to not just buy at the Arena or is that not an option any more?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2021 02:51PM

Good luck to your wife, Jim. May she feel better in a hurry.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-197-208.myvzw.com)
Date: November 24, 2021 08:39PM

Trotsky
Good luck to your wife, Jim. May she feel better in a hurry.
Thanks

In ER as I write, waiting for a bed. Looks like a relatively small stroke in occipital lobe. Just need to see if they can find a reason. Fortunately no motor function problems.

Modern medicine can sometimes work. Saw her internist at 1, MRI at 3 and then they rolled her down the halls to the ER. Problem is with too many Covid admissions there are no open beds. She may spend the night in the ER getting all her tests and if all goes well tomorrow, she could end up going home without ever getting a real hospital bed.

Some people just don’t realize what not getting immunized means to everyone else.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-196.myvzw.com)
Date: November 26, 2021 11:35AM

Interestingly it appears the game will be carried on ESPN+. I thought I had read that only games in ECAC arenas would be shown, which MSG obviously is not.

Posted by: George64 (12.149.104.---)
Date: November 26, 2021 12:16PM

CU2007
Interestingly it appears the game will be carried on ESPN+. I thought I had read that only games in ECAC arenas would be shown, which MSG obviously is not.

Yes! Received this email this morning.

George, cheer on Big Red TOMORROW!
The tradition of Red Hot Hockey between the Cornell Big Red and the Boston University Terriers continues TOMORROW, November 27, at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Help us cheer on Big Red:
• Whether you’ll be cheering from the stands or the couch, suit up in your best Big Red gear.
• Share your spirit with our Red Hot Snapchat lens. Try it on and share with your Cornell family!
• Let us know if we’ll see you in person at Madison Square Garden!
• Watching from home? Catch the game on ESPN+! Red Hot Hockey will show up in the “Watch” tab on espn.com. (Psst! Don’t have ESPN+? Signing up isn’t free, but it’s quick and easy at plus.espn.com)
• Don’t forget to #yellcornell on social media!

GO BIG RED!
Cornell University, Division of Alumni Affairs and Development
130 E. Seneca Street, Suite 400
Ithaca, New York 14850-4353
[alumni.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 26, 2021 12:22PM

CU2007

Yeah, I'm surprised. Usually the MSG network has the game. But even in recent years, I'd just watch the BU feed which was typically free. No need to do that with ESPN+ showing it now, though

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2021 04:35PM

CU2007

bananabananabanana

Date: November 26, 2021 08:12PM

Don’t forget to #yellcornell on social media!
Cringe.

Somebody please replace whoever's mistress came up with that so we can move on and/or back to a better tag line. Jesus fuck it is embarrassing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2021 08:13PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2021 09:02PM

My son told me that tickets were available for $25 through MSG.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 10:14AM

Trotsky

Cringe.

Somebody please replace whoever's mistress came up with that so we can move on and/or back to a better tag line. Jesus fuck it is embarrassing.

what was wrong with "Let's Go Red"?

Date: November 28, 2021 12:25AM

Rita
Trotsky

Cringe.

what was wrong with "Let's Go Red"?
It's from Davy! And let's go red might be used by other schools, mucking up the hashtag.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: November 28, 2021 09:35AM

ugarte
It's from Davy! And let's go red might be used by other schools, mucking up the hashtag.

It's not. It's from "My Old Cornell" or "Carnelian and White." Indeed, "Carnelian and White" is from 1906, whereas MYOC is from 1917, so the earliest reference is from the seldom performed (except by the band, lyric-less) football song.

As one of the stalwart group of bandies that takes it upon themselves to learn the lyrics to the non-sung songs or non-sung portions of the sung songs, I can say that most view the lyrics for "Carnelian and White" as something of a joke. There are a great many other phrases from Cornell songs that I would prefer, as long as it's not the even more laughable, particularly given the current context, "Here we are, here we are again!"

I've always liked "victory makes history," from "Fight for Cornell." There are others. We have a bunch of great college songs, and I wish more of them were wider known.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 09:47AM by Scersk '97.

Date: November 28, 2021 06:11PM

Box score does not show the attendance for 2021. It felt like 10,000-plus out of 18,006 for hockey. The $25 tickets we got in the corner were listed online as a "Boston" section. The two rows in front of us were all-Cornell and everybody needed to get up and leave to pee or get another beer while the game was in play. But okay, they did make it to the game.

It seemed as if the BU band had 75+ people, they played a lot, and they <cringe> played YMCA. I assume BU sent two buses on the university's nickel.

The MSG scoreboard was urging us to download a wrapper or frame for, ah, TikTok?, which may have been a promo for MSG not Yell Cornell.

If 10,000 was what was the butts-in-the-seats turnout, that seems enough to keep giving Cornell that Thanksgving Saturday slot for hockey. Don't know if 2021 attendance reflected lingering concerns about lots of people jammed in the building and healthy safety/concerns or just the challenge keeping the excitement in a series that dates to 2007.

BU looked better than a 4-9-2 team. Schafer said after the game that Joe Howe seemed a little off in goal early on.
Aaron Snyder, Cornell Daily Sun
“I thought he was a little shaky in the first,” Schafer said. “Then I thought he kind of settled in … It was good to see a young guy like that, on this big stage, settle down.”

It was impressive that midway through the second, BU was so rattled by Cornell's offensive pressrure they called their timeout. I don't recall it being afte a BU icing (?).

Cornell Daily Sun story: [cornellbigred.com]

Cornell PR story: [cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2021 07:37PM

On the Internet feed, they had the BU AD talking during the 1st intermission and he mentioned the possibility of doing a series at Lynah one year, Agganis the next year, and MSG the third year. I didn't hear the whole discussion to know if it was definitely going to happen, but it wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the home games were not the Thanksgiving weekend (maybe that first weekend of the season before conference play for Cornell).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 07:38PM by Iceberg.

Date: November 28, 2021 08:39PM

At some point, alumni with less of their undergraduate passion for hockey would be happier with MSG hockey that isn't every year (whether BU for RHH or Penn State, Harvard, etcetera in off years). Cornell-BU every three years might be okay. It hurts that Cornell-Columbia is now the final football game so when it's played in NYC, there are two promoted events in mid-late November trying to draw Cornellians.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2021 09:51PM

Given the state of Cornell football, I doubt that many alums would attend a season-ending game on a cold November day at Columbia. I’d keep the annual Thanksgiving weekend hockey game at MSG.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2021 10:42PM

billhoward
Box score does not show the attendance for 2021. It felt like 10,000-plus out of 18,006 for hockey. The $25 tickets we got in the corner were listed online as a "Boston" section. The two rows in front of us were all-Cornell and everybody needed to get up and leave to pee or get another beer while the game was in play. But okay, they did make it to the game.

It seemed as if the BU band had 75+ people, they played a lot, and they <cringe> played YMCA. I assume BU sent two buses on the university's nickel.

The MSG scoreboard was urging us to download a wrapper or frame for, ah, TikTok?, which may have been a promo for MSG not Yell Cornell.

If 10,000 was what was the butts-in-the-seats turnout, that seems enough to keep giving Cornell that Thanksgving Saturday slot for hockey. Don't know if 2021 attendance reflected lingering concerns about lots of people jammed in the building and healthy safety/concerns or just the challenge keeping the excitement in a series that dates to 2007.

BU looked better than a 4-9-2 team. Schafer said after the game that Joe Howe seemed a little off in goal early on.
Aaron Snyder, Cornell Daily Sun
“I thought he was a little shaky in the first,” Schafer said. “Then I thought he kind of settled in … It was good to see a young guy like that, on this big stage, settle down.”

It was impressive that midway through the second, BU was so rattled by Cornell's offensive pressrure they called their timeout. I don't recall it being afte a BU icing (?).

Cornell Daily Sun story: [cornellbigred.com]

Cornell PR story: [cornellbigred.com]

These links look like the same PR web page. Here's the Daily Sun story.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2021 10:56PM

Does anyone know whether there is significant attendance from out-of-town? I live in Illinois but typically spending Thanksgiving with my sister in the area. This was first year with an MSG game that I decided I just didn't want to travel.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2021 12:15AM

Scersk '97
ugarte

It's not. It's from "My Old Cornell" or "Carnelian and White." Indeed, "Carnelian and White" is from 1906, whereas MYOC is from 1917, so the earliest reference is from the seldom performed (except by the band, lyric-less) football song.

As one of the stalwart group of bandies that takes it upon themselves to learn the lyrics to the non-sung songs or non-sung portions of the sung songs, I can say that most view the lyrics for "Carnelian and White" as something of a joke. There are a great many other phrases from Cornell songs that I would prefer, as long as it's not the even more laughable, particularly given the current context, "Here we are, here we are again!"

I've always liked "victory makes history," from "Fight for Cornell." There are others. We have a bunch of great college songs, and I wish more of them were wider known.

There are several references in my copy of Songs of Cornell to "I yell, yell, yell ... Cornell!" So I've always assumed the part My Old Cornell was once "...that's where they all yell 'Cornell, I yell, yell, yell ... Cornell!'"

+1 on "Fight for Cornell". Does the band still do the medley including "Fight for Cornell" and "The Big Red Team" after football games?

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard "Carnelian and White", but reading the lyrics, I have kind of a soft spot for "Steady and true against the Red and Blue".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 29, 2021 12:30PM

Scersk '97
ugarte

It's not. It's from "My Old Cornell"
this is what i was thinking of thank you

Posted by: Robb (107.72.162.---)
Date: November 29, 2021 12:52PM

billhoward
At some point, alumni with less of their undergraduate passion for hockey would be happier with MSG hockey that isn't every year (whether BU for RHH or Penn State, Harvard, etcetera in off years). Cornell-BU every three years might be okay. It hurts that Cornell-Columbia is now the final football game so when it's played in NYC, there are two promoted events in mid-late November trying to draw Cornellians.
This makes no sense. Why would it make an occasional fan happier if the games were less frequent? If they don’t want to go every year, they could just, you know, not buy tickets. Pretty sure I have never heard anyone say, “I’m so much happier that [event I was not planning to attend] was 1000 miles from my house instead of 10.”

Date: November 29, 2021 01:00PM

David Harding
Does anyone know whether there is significant attendance from out-of-town? I live in Illinois but typically spending Thanksgiving with my sister in the area. This was first year with an MSG game that I decided I just didn't want to travel.

I assume there is a decent number of folks in the Boston-DC corridor who go. I’m in DC and usually go but decided not to travel this year (and the NYC friends I usually go with didn’t go either).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 01:01PM by Weder.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2021 02:32PM

The CHN boxscore and story were updated the day after to reflect final attendance of 13,100 - FYI.

Date: November 29, 2021 04:45PM

Robb
Why would it make an occasional fan happier if the games were less frequent? If they don’t want to go every year, they could just, you know, not buy tickets. Pretty sure I have never heard anyone say, “I’m so much happier that [event I was not planning to attend] was 1000 miles from my house instead of 10.”
Not so much happier/sadder as more/less likely to take part. When the offering is frequent, if say BU-Cornell was annual not biennial, you're only a year away from your next chance to see Cornell take down BU, so what's the imperative to go this year.
In the early years, say 2007, 2009, 2011, the first three for Red Hot Hockey, two years was just the right amount of separation. Now, I'm wondering if RHH is less of a must-attend show for more casual Cornell fans. Thus it's not crazy for Cornell-BU to talk about every three years instead of two, have a Cornell vs. Penn State or Notre Dame or Michigan (school with lots of NYC-area alumni) team to come in on one of the off years, maybe Harvard vs. Yale or Princeton is the other off year.

Date: November 29, 2021 04:46PM

adamw
The CHN boxscore and story were updated the day after to reflect final attendance of 13,100 - FYI.
I believe attendance is tickets sold not butts in seats. But that's still better than 10,000, with 8,000 seats unsold.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2021 09:27PM

billhoward
Not so much happier/sadder as more/less likely to take part. When the offering is frequent, if say BU-Cornell was annual not biennial, you're only a year away from your next chance to see Cornell take down BU, so what's the imperative to go this year.
In the early years, say 2007, 2009, 2011, the first three for Red Hot Hockey, two years was just the right amount of separation. Now, I'm wondering if RHH is less of a must-attend show for more casual Cornell fans. Thus it's not crazy for Cornell-BU to talk about every three years instead of two, have a Cornell vs. Penn State or Notre Dame or Michigan (school with lots of NYC-area alumni) team to come in on one of the off years, maybe Harvard vs. Yale or Princeton is the other off year.
If my memory serves me correctly (which it often doesn't these days!), we were going to play Yale at MSG if there had been a Thanksgiving weekend game last year. Personally, I'd rather see us play teams from outside our league, since I've seen us play Yale plenty of time over the years. But I realize that there aren't a lot of potential opponents who have as many alumni in the NY area as the Ivies.

Date: November 30, 2021 07:54AM

dbilmes
Personally, I'd rather see us play teams from outside our league, since I've seen us play Yale plenty of time over the years. But I realize that there aren't a lot of potential opponents who have as many alumni in the NY area as the Ivies.
Exactly. I felt the same, us playing Harvard at MSG Thanksgiving 2018 (and losing). We're already playing Harvard twice, with decent odds of seeing them in the ECACs as well. The right team to play in even years (BU is odd) is a non-ECAC team with a large metro-New York alumni / student base; BC, Penn State, maybe UMass-Amherst, Michigan, Ohio State, maybe Michigan State, maybe UConn in 10 years, marginally maybe Maine, UNH, Vermont.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 08:59AM

To everyone who gave me their thoughts, thank you.

Interesting that as much as I extol modern medicine, they still could not come up with a reason for my wife's stroke.

Fortunately physically she's doing well, but memory is still a problem. Issue now is to find someone to be with her so that I can get back to work.

Since she's still got the physical strength to get around, I'm hopeful that she'll still go to games with me. Might test it this weekend with the north country trip.

So thanks again to all, small words can have significant impact.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 10:01AM

billhoward
The right team to play in even years (BU is odd) is a non-ECAC team with a large metro-New York alumni / student base; BC, Penn State, maybe UMass-Amherst, Michigan, Ohio State, maybe Michigan State, maybe UConn in 10 years, marginally maybe Maine, UNH, Vermont.

Notre Dame?

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 11:39AM

billhoward
dbilmes
Personally, I'd rather see us play teams from outside our league, since I've seen us play Yale plenty of time over the years. But I realize that there aren't a lot of potential opponents who have as many alumni in the NY area as the Ivies.
Exactly. I felt the same, us playing Harvard at MSG Thanksgiving 2018 (and losing). We're already playing Harvard twice, with decent odds of seeing them in the ECACs as well. The right team to play in even years (BU is odd) is a non-ECAC team with a large metro-New York alumni / student base; BC, Penn State, maybe UMass-Amherst, Michigan, Ohio State, maybe Michigan State, maybe UConn in 10 years, marginally maybe Maine, UNH, Vermont.

Playing any school with a football culture (PSU, OSU, Michigan) is going to backfire because it's arguably the biggest Saturday of the college football season. That's why the Penn State band didn't show up last time.

I think you get the biggest college hockey, non-ECAC school you can get (including some you named, plus a Minnesota school, Denver, etc.), regardless of NYC connection.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 12:13PM

LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

Playing any school with a football culture (PSU, OSU, Michigan) is going to backfire because it's arguably the biggest Saturday of the college football season. That's why the Penn State band didn't show up last time.

I think you get the biggest college hockey, non-ECAC school you can get (including some you named, plus a Minnesota school, Denver, etc.), regardless of NYC connection.

North Dakota would seem to fit the bill. Although not a lot of alums in the NY area (presumably), I imagine they would travel in large numbers to NYC for a Thanksgiving weekend.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-192.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 12:29PM

LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

Playing any school with a football culture (PSU, OSU, Michigan) is going to backfire because it's arguably the biggest Saturday of the college football season.

What was the attendance when we beat Michigan at MSG in 2012?

Date: November 30, 2021 12:39PM

marty
LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

Playing any school with a football culture (PSU, OSU, Michigan) is going to backfire because it's arguably the biggest Saturday of the college football season.

Michigan played an away game at noon. So I'll amend to say that if they can book a football school with an away game early in the day, go for it.

I can only speak anecdotally, but everyone I know from Penn State made the trip to Happy Valley that year instead of MSG. I don't think the result would be different any other year that there's a home game, unless you move the game to Wells Fargo perhaps.

That said, PSU was in its infancy at the time, so maybe current students would be more inclined. But picking a "football is king" school on a big Saturday football weekend seems weird to me.

Date: November 30, 2021 01:20PM

LGR14
... picking a "football is king" school on a big Saturday football weekend seems weird to me.
"Football is king" school is a proxy also for a large school. But one with enough metro-NYC alumni to buy 6,000 seats (one third of the arena). So Michigan would be better than Michigan State. Penn State better than Minnesota. Either the "big football school" has proximity to NYC (Penn State) or it has better than average academics and lures NY-area students (Michigan again, Wisconsin, too bad Northwestern doesn't play D1 hockey). If there's a Big 10 football game leading into the hockey game, maybe their alumni association sets up a viewing party near the Garden.

By the way, who's heard if there is a 2022 Frozen Apple game on tap?

Date: November 30, 2021 09:48PM

LGR14
marty
LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

Michigan played an away game at noon. So I'll amend to say that if they can book a football school with an away game early in the day, go for it.

I can only speak anecdotally, but everyone I know from Penn State made the trip to Happy Valley that year instead of MSG. I don't think the result would be different any other year that there's a home game, unless you move the game to Wells Fargo perhaps.

That said, PSU was in its infancy at the time, so maybe current students would be more inclined. But picking a "football is king" school on a big Saturday football weekend seems weird to me.
i will tell you that penn state sold their tickets to MSG. for a fledgling program that hadn't learned to play defense, they traveled (or, more likely, were locals). even though it's a big football day, I think BIG teams are a good choice if we can't get, say, BC or Notre Dame.

Posted by: LGR14 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 09:56PM

ugarte
LGR14
marty
LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

i will tell you that penn state sold their tickets to MSG. for a fledgling program that hadn't learned to play defense, they traveled (or, more likely, were locals). even though it's a big football day, I think BIG teams are a good choice if we can't get, say, BC or Notre Dame.

Pages 8 and 9 of the thread from back then suggest otherwise [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 10:06PM

Penn State alumni attendance would be huge if there were a game in Philadelphia. This city is saturated with their alumni and their hockey team's game against Princeton in 2018 at the arena drew well with at least 90% of the crowd (8490 purported attendance) being pro Penn State. I'm sure it would be more balanced if it were Cornell instead of Princeton.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 10:10PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 01, 2021 12:10AM

scoop85
North Dakota would seem to fit the bill. Although not a lot of alums in the NY area (presumably), I imagine they would travel in large numbers to NYC for a Thanksgiving weekend.
I don't agree. People spend Thanksgiving with their families. Without people in the area nobody comes.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2021 04:23AM

Trotsky
scoop85
I don't agree. People spend Thanksgiving with their families. Without people in the area nobody comes.

Yes. I'd love to see a Cornell game at MSG, but unless my family weekend moves to the NYC area it won't happen. Saturday morning is reserved for tree cutting. And although one of those $30 trees is headed to Harlem it doesn't make the trip until Sunday afternoon.

Date: December 01, 2021 07:54AM

marty
Attendance was 18,200 in an arena seating 18,006 for hockey. Cornell, 5-1. Box score: [collegehockeyinc.com]

I believe that speaks to the number of Michigan alumni and undergrads living in the metro New York area.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 01, 2021 05:42PM

There have always been a ton of Michigan alumni in NYC and the school is fairly well-represented in the northeast corridor. It's probably the school with the most alumni outside of the state of New York as far as presence in the city.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 05:43PM by Iceberg.

Date: December 01, 2021 07:28PM

Based on this, NYC alumni of B1G(GEST LOSER) hockey schools (in thousands):

40 Pedo State
25 Michigan
13 Wisconsin
 9 Ohio State
 8 Michigan State
 6 Minnesota

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 07:29PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2021 11:08PM

LGR14
ugarte
LGR14
marty
LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

looks like ~15K

Date: December 01, 2021 11:11PM

ugarte
LGR14
ugarte
LGR14
marty
LGR14
billhoward
dbilmes

looks like ~15K

Right, but how many Cornell?

I think a B1G school can work, but it has to be under the right circumstances (which were present the Michigan year).

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 11:18AM

Trotsky
scoop85

Clearly you have never met North Dakota fans :)

18,000 of them showed up in Nashville. Yes, not Thanksgiving weekend - but you only need 5000 of them for MSG.

There was also about 12,000 of them in MSG for the game against Boston College a couple years ago.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2021 12:12PM

adamw
Trotsky
scoop85

Clearly you have never met North Dakota fans :)

18,000 of them showed up in Nashville. Yes, not Thanksgiving weekend - but you only need 5000 of them for MSG.

There was also about 12,000 of them in MSG for the game against Boston College a couple years ago.

Yes, they are a different breed, which is why I thought they would be a good choice even Thanksgiving weekend.

Date: December 03, 2021 06:57PM

I'm all for North Dakota.

Date: December 03, 2021 08:33PM

Trotsky
good luck getting north dakota fans to come to a venue where you have to show proof of vaccination.

sorry, i'm sorry. i'm trying to remove it.

Date: December 03, 2021 09:04PM

ugarte
I've heard Borax works.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 09:12PM

Trotsky
ugarte
I've heard Borax works.

Or bleach & UV light.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-208.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2021 11:03PM

ugarte
Trotsky
good luck getting north dakota fans to come to a venue where you have to show proof of vaccination.

*Evander Kane has entered the chat*

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:50PM

CU2007
ugarte
Trotsky

*Evander Kane has entered the chat*

Well, it's not like he'll be playing in the NHL for a while.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login