Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New College Hockey Program?

Posted by scoop85 
New College Hockey Program?
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 08:30AM

Buccigross tweeted last night he’s hearing that Augustana University in Sioux Falls, SD is planning on starting a D-1 hockey program in 2023. They don’t even have club hockey right now, but the school is moving from DII to DI in all sports and adding hockey apparently is part of their master plan.

Re: New College Hockey Program?
Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-18.myvzw.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:34AM

Augustana is practically my backyard. I'm all for it, though I don't know how you start up a division one team out of nothing.

Who do I lobby to get Cornell to come play here?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2021 12:33PM

Dafatone
Augustana is practically my backyard. I'm all for it, though I don't know how you start up a division one team out of nothing.

Coach Schafer - but then also Augustana's head coach, who will be expected to commit to playing at Lynah in exchange.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 16, 2021 01:42PM

Is Augustana one of those arts colleges in the frozen Midwest like St. Olaf, Macalester, Carleton, and Hamline?

Edit: No, that's Augsburg.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 01:43PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 03:01PM

Dafatone

Well LIU announced they were starting a D1 program on 4/30/20 and they did ok with a season that started less than 6 months later.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-219-18.myvzw.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 08:19PM

Trotsky
Is Augustana one of those arts colleges in the frozen Midwest like St. Olaf, Macalester, Carleton, and Hamline?

It's the fancy rich private school for upper crust South Dakotans.

I know how silly that sounds.

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2021 08:42PM

Dafatone

Cash and corruption.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 12:22AM

Coincidentally, Josh Whitman, the athletic director of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, talked about their potential ice hockey program today.
[www.chicagotribune.com]
AD

2. Let’s do that hockey?

Illinois made a splash when it announced in 2017 it was pursuing the development of a varsity ice hockey team.

While Whitman considered the university “in the red zone” toward launching a team in the summer of 2019, the Illini hit some obstacles with fundraising and then paused the project because of the pandemic.

He said he is restarting conversations with donors and developers about beginning a hockey program. Whitman will need to see if previously committed donors are still on board.

“We had walked it so far down the road, we can’t just walk away from it without at least reopening the conversation to see if it continues to make sense,” he said.

Illinois had considered a project that included multiple sports in a downtown Champaign complex. Factors such as facilities and which sports can be included would determine the cost of a program.

Whitman said he doesn’t feel obligated to go beyond conversations, but he can foresee a hockey program becoming the third-highest revenue-producing sport.

“We know where we think the money was,” he said. “We just need to go back and see if it’s still there.”

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 01:17AM

“We know where we think the money was,” he said. “We just need to go back and see if it’s still there.”
Sounds like a line out of a John Sandford Lucas Dake Davenport police novel, except that's set in Minnesota.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2021 10:11AM by billhoward.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2021 08:01AM

billhoward

Sounds like a line out of a John Sandford Lucas Dake police novel, except that's set in Minnesota.

Lucas Davenport?

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 17, 2021 08:30AM

After watching the NFL grow from six teams to thirty teams I'm convinced that expanding D-1 college hockey will benefit the game - finally put it on a par with baseball, basketball and football.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: June 17, 2021 02:51PM

osorojo
After watching the NFL grow from six teams to thirty teams I'm convinced that expanding D-1 college hockey will benefit the game - finally put it on a par with baseball, basketball and football.

Selfishly, I prefer that college hockey stays a rather small pond for a long, long time.

We might do fine during an explosive period of expansion as our talent remains the same but the "not heading to Ivies" talent gets spread more thinly, but pretty soon there would be too much money and attention flying around for non-scholarship schools to compete, like in other sports, viz., the aforementioned baseball, basketball, and football.

Date: June 18, 2021 10:22AM

Yes, Lucas Davenport. How many of John Sanford / Lucas Davenport's top 100 rock tunes of all time do you agree with? You really have to be on the outer/older edge of Bâby Boomerdom to align fully. Sandford was born in 1943.

[www.johnsandford.org]

Date: June 18, 2021 03:13PM

billhoward
Yes, Lucas Davenport. How many of John Sanford / Lucas Davenport's top 100 rock tunes of all time do you agree with? You really have to be on the outer/older edge of Bâby Boomerdom to align fully. Sandford was born in 1943.

About a third — I was born a year before Sandford. Just got Ocean Prey from the library with both Davenport and Virgil Flowers.

Date: June 18, 2021 04:56PM

Some authors writing a book series, or series of series, lose it over time. I'm not sure how long Sandford can keep up the pace. I'm learning a lot about driving Minnesota back roads in a Porsche, tho. Daniel Silva's Gabiel Allon series is still well-written, but it starts to seem like the framing of the plot pays homage to previous books. Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series (German detective with a conscience, in the 1930s-50s-50s) has been well written but Kerr died in 2018, so the series ends at 14. Yep, thread drift again. But really, Cornell sports is quiet for another month or two.

Date: June 18, 2021 05:22PM

billhoward
Yep, thread drift again. But really, Cornell sports is quiet for another month or two.
To help pass the time, the next Gabriel Allon book, The Cellist, will be available July 13.

Date: June 22, 2021 09:33AM

Dafatone
Trotsky

It's the fancy rich private school for upper crust South Dakotans.

I know how silly that sounds.

No trees in the Dakotas so I guess we'll do iron guillotines for them.

Wasn't Fitzgerald from around there? There are rich cockroaches everywhere.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2021 09:34AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2021 11:18AM

This is interesting. Tennessee State, with support from the Nashville Predators, is seriously pursuing plans to become the first HBUC to have a Division I college hockey program. The Athletic also had coverage, but there's a paywall.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2021 10:29PM

dbilmes
This is interesting. Tennessee State, with support from the Nashville Predators, is seriously pursuing plans to become the first HBUC to have a Division I college hockey program. The Athletic also had coverage, but there's a paywall.

Talk about an unlikely candidate! It would be great if they can pull it off. I wish them luck.

Date: June 25, 2021 10:34AM

Swampy
dbilmes

Talk about an unlikely candidate! It would be great if they can pull it off. I wish them luck.
Fantastic for lots of reasons.

Date: June 26, 2021 09:12AM

If you build a rink coaching and talent will follow.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2021 11:24AM

The Predators and the regional government have built a couple of ice centers in the Nashville area and are working on a third. There’s also been a Thanksgiving tournament with some big DI women’s programs for a few years in Nashville. So there’s a lot going on and it would be great if Tennessee State adds hockey.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2021 05:30PM

osorojo

If you build a rink and have considerable money left over...

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2021 08:25AM

Jim Hyla
osorojo

... and don't hire Seth Appert.

Date: June 28, 2021 08:44AM

Pick a rink 10+ years old and see if it spawned any Pewee-to-NHL talent. Lynah/Cass Park did.

Date: June 28, 2021 11:24AM

marty
Jim Hyla
osorojo

... and don't hire Seth Appert.
I felt that burn from here.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2021 09:02PM

[triblive.com]

Robert Morris Hockey appears to be saved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login