Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sun rehashes 1969-70 season

Posted by David Harding 
Sun rehashes 1969-70 season
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2021 11:53PM

Keeping the memory alive. [cornellsun.com]

Re: Sun rehashes 1969-70 season
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2021 05:06PM

David Harding

How did they get so old? I’ve identified some (see attachment). Is there anyone out there old enough who can identify the rest? Uncertain about 10 Stewart and 11 Brush. Corrections appreciated. Great memories.

1 BRIAN CROPPER

1 BOB RULE

2 RON SIMPSON

3 MARK DAVIS

4 GORDIE LOWE

5 BILL PERRAS

6 GARTH RYAN

7 KEVIN PETIT

8 BOB AITCHISON

9 BRIAN McCUTCHEON

10 DOUG STEWART

11 CRAIG BRUSH

12 JIM HIGGS

14 DAN LODBOA

15 STEVE GIULIANI

16 BILL DUTHIE

17 ED AMBIS

18 LARRY FULLAN

19 DICK BERTRAND

20 DAVE WESTNER

21 JOHN HUGHES

22 IAN ORR
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 05:14PM by George64.

Attachments:
open | download - 1969-70 Men's Hockey Roster 2.pdf (321.9 KB)
Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 04, 2021 06:06PM

George64
David Harding

How did they get so old? I’ve identified some (see attachment). Is there anyone out there old enough who can identify the rest? Uncertain about 10 Stewart and 11 Brush. Corrections appreciated. Great memories.

1 BRIAN CROPPER

1 BOB RULE

2 RON SIMPSON

3 MARK DAVIS

4 GORDIE LOWE

5 BILL PERRAS

6 GARTH RYAN

7 KEVIN PETIT

8 BOB AITCHISON

9 BRIAN McCUTCHEON

10 DOUG STEWART

11 CRAIG BRUSH

12 JIM HIGGS

14 DAN LODBOA

15 STEVE GIULIANI

16 BILL DUTHIE

17 ED AMBIS

18 LARRY FULLAN

19 DICK BERTRAND

20 DAVE WESTNER

21 JOHN HUGHES

22 IAN ORR
All good on the uniform numbers. And the only ones I would have recognized were Hughes and McCutcheon, as I had seen John at MSG '19 (and prior years) and Cutch on TV when he was an assistant for the Sabres.

Posted by: ACM (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2021 07:32AM

George64
David Harding

1 BRIAN CROPPER

1 BOB RULE

2 RON SIMPSON

3 MARK DAVIS

4 GORDIE LOWE

5 BILL PERRAS

6 GARTH RYAN

7 KEVIN PETIT

8 BOB AITCHISON

9 BRIAN McCUTCHEON

10 DOUG STEWART

11 CRAIG BRUSH

12 JIM HIGGS

14 DAN LODBOA

15 STEVE GIULIANI

16 BILL DUTHIE

17 ED AMBIS

18 LARRY FULLAN

19 DICK BERTRAND

20 DAVE WESTNER

21 JOHN HUGHES

22 IAN ORR

From left to right (more or less):

Ed Ambis (17) is at the extreme left, holding the Cropper (1) jersey with Bill Duthie (16) and Dave Westner (10 -> should be 20). Ron Simpson (2) in background. Doug Stewart (3 -> should be 10) is holding the Lowe jersey, and Ian Orr (22) the Ryan jersey. Between them are Bob Aitchison (8) and Bob Rule (1, the bald one in the background). Giuliani (15) and Hughes (21) are correct. The face partially obscured by Hughes belongs to Bill Perras (5). McCutcheon (9) is correct; he's holding the Lodboa jersey with Craig Brush (11). Between them in the background is Mark Davis (3). Fullan (18), Higgs (12) and Pettit (7) are correct. The guy at the extreme right is Ken Gilstein, the manager, who graduated from my high school (Erasmus Hall, Brooklyn) a year ahead of me.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.143.---)
Date: March 05, 2021 11:45AM

Ed Ambis from Ambis industries- who made skate sharpeners and turned my skates into lethal razors? How did I not know this!?

Date: March 05, 2021 01:02PM

The Rancor
Ed Ambis from Ambis industries- who made skate sharpeners and turned my skates into lethal razors? How did I not know this!?

Ed Ambis ‘72 was my dentist when I lived in Ithaca following retirement. Ambis Industries, now closed, was owned and operated by his late brother Philip. Talking about hockey with Ed made my root canal more bearable. Philip played hockey at Elmira College.

Ed, as I recall, played on the fourth line with Brush and Westner.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2021 09:45PM

George64
The Rancor

Ed Ambis ‘72 was my dentist when I lived in Ithaca following retirement. Ambis Industries, now closed, was owned and operated by his late brother Philip. Talking about hockey with Ed made my root canal more bearable. Philip played hockey at Elmira College.

The 4th line was Stewart-Brush-Ambis.

1st line: Petit-Hughes-McCutcheon
2nd line: Ryan-Fullan-Bertrand
3rd line: Aitchison-Duthie-Westner
4th line: Stewart-Brush-Ambis
spare fwd: Perras
1st D: Lodboa-Lowe
2nd D: Higgs-Giuliani
5th D: Simpson
6th D: Davis or Orr
G: Cropper
emergency backup (thankfully no emergencies): Rule

At the time, as did everyone, we largely used 3 lines with the 4th line getting maybe two shifts (or less) a period.
Similarly we used two pairs on D, with Simpson getting an occasional shift instead of Higgs.

In the NCAA tournament, Bertrand was not eligible due to some obscure ruling that at age 25 he had played organized hockey for too long (perhaps someone can elaborate here). Westner moved up to Bertrand's spot on the 2nd line, Brush played right wing on the 3rd line and Perras centered the 4th line.

NCAA Final Video
Date: March 05, 2021 09:58PM

A fair amount of the 1970 NCAA Final can be found here:
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Link provided thanks to Garth Ryan, who emailed it to me after I sent him the link to the Sun article.

Re: NCAA Final Video
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2021 10:48PM

jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Link provided thanks to Garth Ryan, who emailed it to me after I sent him the link to the Sun article.

Wow, I’ve seen a few of the clips from that game, including Lodboa’s 3 x 5 shortie, but have never seen this 28 minute reel. Fantastic stuff. They sure loved taking standstill slap shots from the point in 1970.

For anyone who was there, what was the feeling like going into the 3rd period tied? And I have to imagine going down two men up by just one had people on edge.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 02:00AM

jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

This is terrific, thank you!

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 09:53AM

jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

THAT was great! Thank you!

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2021 10:26AM

Trotsky
jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

AND, for those of us who were there, it's Randy Wilson Day!!!!!!!

Date: March 06, 2021 10:27AM

jkahn

Thank you, Jeff! Thank you, Garth! I was there, great to relive that game! The commentator, however, reminds me of the guy who narrated those health movies way back in junior high.

Posted by: The Rancor (73.93.142.---)
Date: March 06, 2021 10:28AM

George64
The Rancor

Thank you for the clarification. I always loved going down there- there were old (to me) Cornell Hockey pictures on the wall and I guess I assumed they were his sons, at the time.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 11:50AM

George64
jkahn

Thank you, Jeff! Thank you, Garth! I was there, great to relive that game! The commentator, however, reminds me of the guy who narrated those health movies way back in junior high.
The long periods of silence, however, were refreshing. He'd introduce a segment and then let you watch in peace.

Both Lodboa and Giuliani came to Cornell as forwards (as did earlier All-Americans Harry Orr and Bruce Pattison) and were moved to defense. Ned liked mobile defensemen who could move the puck up ice for quick breakouts. This game showed the payoff.

Date: March 06, 2021 01:14PM

Al DeFlorio
The long periods of silence, however, were refreshing. He'd introduce a segment and then let you watch in peace.

Absolutely! I now mute much of the NFL games (particularly Tony Romo). Everything I want to know is on the screen.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 03:46PM by George64.

Date: March 06, 2021 03:38PM

scoop85

They sure loved taking standstill slap shots from the point in 1970.

Back in the day, Larry Fullan had arguably the hardest slap shot in college hockey. The puck never seemed to be more than six inches off the ice.

When I was in grad school, my roommate and I were skating at Lynah in summer ‘71. Dick Bertrand saw us and asked if we would be interested in playing in a no-checking summer league. Foolishly, I agreed. What Dick didn’t mention was that several Cornell players, including Fullan and Bill Hanson (no relation to the three Hanson brothers of Slap Shot fame) would participate. At one point, Fullan took a slap shot from just inside the blue line when I was about six feet away. Fortunately the shot hit the toe of my skate and not my flimsy shin guard. Blocking a Fullan slap shot was the highlight of my hockey career. I still have the dented skate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 03:42PM by George64.

Date: March 06, 2021 08:16PM

scoop85

For anyone who was there, what was the feeling like going into the 3rd period tied? And I have to imagine going down two men up by just one had people on edge.

I was much more tense during the Wisconsin semi. Wayne Thomas was stopping everything and we were down 1-0 going into the 3rd. Even after we got the two goals, those last 8-9 minutes seemed to take forever.
As great as Lodboa was offensively in the final, he was that good defensively in the Wisconsin game. In the 3rd period, it seemed that every time Wisconsin attacked, Lodboa would steal the puck at the blue line. I clearly remember exclaiming to my friend sitting next to me "Lodboa won't let them cross the blue line!"

Date: March 06, 2021 09:32PM

George64
Al DeFlorio

Absolutely! I now mute much of the NFL games (particularly Tony Romo). Everything I want to know is on the screen.

Agreed! For me, that "special person" is Chris Collinsworth. Put a sock in it, Chris!!!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 09:57PM

redice
Trotsky
jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

I was there in 1979 shooting right next to the WHCU broadcast box hearing Roy Ives screaming out the call! Arthur narrates the video ... YouTube Video

Posted by: Larry72 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2021 10:08PM

jkahn
scoop85

I was much more tense during the Wisconsin semi. Wayne Thomas was stopping everything and we were down 1-0 going into the 3rd. Even after we got the two goals, those last 8-9 minutes seemed to take forever.
As great as Lodboa was offensively in the final, he was that good defensively in the Wisconsin game. In the 3rd period, it seemed that every time Wisconsin attacked, Lodboa would steal the puck at the blue line. I clearly remember exclaiming to my friend sitting next to me "Lodboa won't let them cross the blue line!"

Totally agree. The last 9 minutes against Wisconsin after Bill Duthie scored the go-ahead goal were nerve wracking. Lodboa and the defense played spectacular with a lot of support from the forwards.

Date: March 07, 2021 09:42AM

Larry72

..... Lodboa and the defense played spectacular with a lot of support from the forwards.

It's nice to see that (support by the forwards) has carried over to Mike's teams... That was not so much the case during Bertrand's era.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2021 05:29PM

redice
Trotsky
jkahn
[photos.app.goo.gl]

+1

I was there for the third period and OT. And that's all that mattered.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2021 07:01AM

This is absolutely the best post on any thread on any board that I have ever seen! Thank you jkhan!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login